0878: "Model Rail"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Ingolifs

Re: 0878: "Model Rail"

Postby Ingolifs » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:21 am UTC

I like how the wikipedia talk page of HO now has a section for the correct spelling of 'xkcd'. Pretty sure it's ironic though.
I belong to the tautologist's school of thought, that science is by definition, science.

Jayroamino

Postby Jayroamino » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:26 am UTC

18m H0 model = awesome

18m H0 TRUE SCALE model = zzzZZzz...
1,5km for that town with forest and those hills is quite cramped
freight trains are often longer than that

jozwa

Postby jozwa » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:15 am UTC

I don't know what's more telling--the number of pages in the Wikipedia talk page argument over whether the 1/87.0857143 scale is called "HO" or "H0", or the fact that within minutes of first hearing of it I had developed an extremely strong opinion on the issue.

Or the fact that you can get a bunch of people to spam a Wikipedia talk page. :o

Nic the Man

Postby Nic the Man » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:42 am UTC

slightlydead wrote:Is it bad that the first thing that popped into my mind is: "All aboard the ho train"?

Makes me feel a little less guilty for thinking the same thing.

Although, did you chuckle like a little schoolgirl?

tups

Postby tups » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:39 pm UTC

At least one more recusrion should be possible ...

http://whiteriverandnorthern.net/clinic_08.htm

Sweet!

snowyowl

Postby snowyowl » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:43 pm UTC

I own a model which is a 1:1 scale representation of itself. It's also rotated through 180° relative to the real thing.
The preceding comment is an automated response.

Azshade

Postby Azshade » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:20 pm UTC

phlip wrote: Also, the Wikipedia disambig page for "H0" describes it as "H + letter zero", so take from that what you will.

What the heck is a letter zero? Is that the letter O or the number 0? Now I'm even more confused. You mean to tell me all these years there's been a letter zero? I just got over my whole problem with naught and zero and 'oh' to awaken to this whole new problem.

Azshade

Postby Azshade » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:21 pm UTC

PS.
Also this comic reminded me of a Steven Wright joke.
"I own a map of the entire country that's life size. In the corner it says 1mile = 1mile. When people ask me where I live I say E5. Last summer I folded it."

ALSO.
This comic really needs a "Not to scale" shoved in the corner, just because.

parker6

Postby parker6 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:35 am UTC

So I guess no-one here saw Synecdoche, New York? (I cannot, in good conscience, recommend it.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synecdoche,_New_York

From its Wikipedia article:
Caden works on an impossibly large scale, constructing a full-size replica of New York City in a warehouse, and eventually a warehouse within that warehouse, and so on, continuing in this impossible cycle.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:54 am UTC

It seems that this comic has attracted attention even in Japan:

http://naglly.com/archives/2011/03/xkcd-model-rail.php

RebeccaRGB

Postby RebeccaRGB » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:25 am UTC

legopelle wrote:
Spoiler:

All he needs is to get the Windows 1.0 programs running inside Windows 3.1.
Stephen Hawking: Great. The entire universe was destroyed.
Fry: Destroyed? Then where are we now?
Al Gore: I don't know. But I can darn well tell you where we're not—the universe!

RAGBRAIvet

Postby RAGBRAIvet » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:08 am UTC

For whatever it's worth, I always considered it to be two letters — aitch oh (HO) — and meant "half O", because HO trains are (approximately) half the size of "O" scale trains (1/48).
Never had any HO trains myself; I went directly from O-scale toy trains to N-scale model railroading.
And just to start something — N-scale (1/160) is so named because the rails are 9 millimeters apart and the word "nine" in most languages starts with the letter "n".

erco

Postby erco » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:16 pm UTC

I always understood it to be HO, as it was 'Half O'. At least, that's what all the model railroad books we had said, as did the guys at the club and at the swap meets.

DavidRoss

Postby DavidRoss » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:48 am UTC

hofmic wrote:I must be insane for reading that entire wikipedia talk page... More disturbing than your average horror movie (and nail me up for support in the H0 format).

I couldn't get through the entire talk page, but it struck me as odd that among those who spend too much of their time on model train building, they have enough spare time to spend too much time arguing over HO vs. H0.

maxigas

Postby maxigas » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:08 pm UTC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godshill

Since 1952 Godshill has been the home of a model village of itself and Shanklin's old village at a scale of 1:10. It is so detailed and on such a large scale that it contains a scale model of the model village. Within that second model there is a third, even smaller model of the village.[10]

http://www.iowight.com/model-village/

clayfox

Postby clayfox » Mon May 30, 2011 3:30 pm UTC

In Final Fantasy 7, there is a model of the Temple of the Ancients inside the Temple of the Ancients. Every time I get to that part I get really upset. Now I feel justified. Thanks.

dr pepper

Postby dr pepper » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:14 am UTC

Azshade wrote:PS.
Also this comic reminded me of a Steven Wright joke.
"I own a map of the entire country that's life size. In the corner it says 1mile = 1mile. When people ask me where I live I say E5. Last summer I folded it."

I'm surprised that no one has yet mentioned Gulliver's Travels. In the first of the stories, the voyage to Lilliput, it is revealed, that in order to have as accurate a map as possible, the lilliputian authorities had decided to let the country be its own map.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Thu May 17, 2012 5:37 am UTC

Here's something I just discovered: Kruskal and Mosteller (1979) give the following quote, talking about the use of the term "representative sample" to suggest that the sample is a perfect miniature representation of the population it comes from:

To use another metaphor, the intuitive notion is like that of a miniature train, the table
top with little snow-covered houses, enameled tunnels, complex patterns of rails, and lighted,
brightly colored trains to be manipulated.
[...]
The toy train example breaks down even more quickly. The snow-covered houses do not
have in them much furniture or many people, and they surely do not contain their own
miniature train layouts in second order miniature. Or if some devoted train enthusiast has
done that, the sequence breaks at the next step.

Kruskal, W. and Mosteller, F. (April 1979) "Representative Sampling I: Non-Statistical Literature", International Statistical Review, Vol. 47, No. 1, pp 13-24 .
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

PayasYouDraw

Postby PayasYouDraw » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:31 am UTC

Firstly it's H0 as it's half of 0, which was smaller than Gauge 1, 2, 3. If in the US they're using letter O for 0 then that's where the mistake comes from.

More importantly I have to address this mistake:

Stotherd wrote:If you wanna be confused, in the UK we use OO, as our real track is a different width, but we use the same model track as HO/0. Our models are therefore slightly larger.

It's a pain in the ass.

In the UK we use 00 (the logic being that double zero is half of zero and to distiguish it from H0) because of our smaller loading gauge in the UK. We actually use the same standard gauge on our real railways as most of the world: Stevenson's 4 ft 8 1/2 inches.

The gauge of H0 track is 16.5 mm, and scales very well to the 1:87 scale or 3.5 mm to the foot. But when the scale was introduced to Britain the trains were too small for the motors commercially available at the time. It made commercial sense to retain the 16.5 mm track, but the trains themselves were modelled to 4mm to the foot, or roughly 1:76. As a result UK model railways are incorrectly "narrow gauge" compared to their real life counterparts. There are two ways to correct this. One is to adopt H0, but this was never very popular. The other is to modify the wheels on your models, and this gave rise to EM gauge or P4 scale, which are standards defining the roughly 18 mm gauge track suitable for 00 scale trains.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”