0864: "Flying Cars"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

LucasBrown

0864: "Flying Cars"

Postby LucasBrown » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:01 am UTC

Alt text: "It's hard to fit in the backseat of my flying car with my android Realdoll when we're both wearing jetpacks."

Maybe in 2012? I'll be careful, I swear!

Rhombix

Re: 0864: "Flying Cars"

Postby Rhombix » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:02 am UTC

Aeroplanes?

Ghandi 2

Postby Ghandi 2 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:06 am UTC

It's 2011. I want people to stop telling goddamn flying car jokes.

madock345

Postby madock345 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:09 am UTC

Awww. my post was too late. :( ah well awsome comic, I think my Image was broken anyway.
"As the size of an Explosion increses the number of social situations it is incapable of resolving approches zero"
-Vaarsuvius, The Order of the Stick
Spoiler:
ethereal_fire wrote:madock345, I like your sig : )

Qwerty.55 wrote:I like your new recursive sig even better than before.

LÆB

Postby LÆB » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:09 am UTC

I've seen this one before:

Last edited by LÆB on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:11 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:10 am UTC

Pretty sure you're just as likely to crash a normal car while playing Angry Birds as you are crashing a flying car.

Unless flying cars have autopilot.

That'd be awesome.

picnic_crossfire

Postby picnic_crossfire » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:10 am UTC

Third panel turned me on.
picnic time!

ddxxdd

Postby ddxxdd » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:12 am UTC

These same future-predictors have also claimed that future computers would still use antediluvian vacuum tubes, and that scientists would build a computer the size of a large apartment complex to create the equivalent processing power of my Blackberry.

Futurists need to take human priorities into account. Take the jetpack for example. There will never be a market for it- similar markets for motorcycles and smart cars are limited by people fearing death, not looking like a total geek, and the need for American cars to grow bigger to compensate for other things.
I'm waiting for someone to say something worth sigging...

jalohones

Postby jalohones » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:14 am UTC

Whoa - NSFW, she's not wearing a shirt! I'm reading this at work - I had to close it quick before anyone saw.

madock345

Postby madock345 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:16 am UTC

I have thought this same thing soo many times, stop complaining about what we don't have. Technology is Awsome.
"As the size of an Explosion increses the number of social situations it is incapable of resolving approches zero"
-Vaarsuvius, The Order of the Stick
Spoiler:
ethereal_fire wrote:madock345, I like your sig : )

Qwerty.55 wrote:I like your new recursive sig even better than before.

Bluedermis

Postby Bluedermis » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:21 am UTC

Flying cars have already been made.

Notably the Aerobile, in the 30s-40s. It flew from California to Ohio but did not get put into commercial production because of the main problem plaguing flying cars, regulations which label them as aircraft. This means you have to both register the vessel and get a license suitable for flying light planes. The Sky Flivver was made even earlier, but was stopped after a crash in 1928. Ford then went on to make one of the most early VTOL craft, the Ford Volante. These would be primarily used by emergency services, but would also have been sold to the rich.

But a new flying car, the Transition, is scheduled to go on sale in the USA this year. Estimated cost would be about 200 000 USD. But you'd still have to register it with the FAA and get a pilot's licence.

iChef

Postby iChef » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:26 am UTC

When the bottom finally falls out on the economy and these revolts turn into WW3 we're going to realize the future lasted from 1955 - 2010. Now we're living in the soon to be, war torn waste land of the future. Global warming is going to come in full force and the only choice you have is to live near the coast, get some jet skis and pretend to be Kevin Costner or cobble together a bunch of car parts move to the great plains and pretend to be Mel Gibson.

Enjoy the Golden Age of atomic marvels and endless prosperity while it lasts.
Those whom God loves, he must make beautiful, and a beautiful character must, in some way, suffer.
-Tailsteak author of the Webcomics 1/0 and Leftover Soup

pigsfromagun

Postby pigsfromagun » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:27 am UTC

Sort of the opposite of this one. And with similar characters. Yet the characters seem to have swapped viewpoints on whether or not current technology is good enough.
http://xkcd.com/728/

lexii

Postby lexii » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:34 am UTC

After the mention of phones, 'android realdoll' made me think of the android smartphone. I wonder if this was intentional... "Browsing the internet on my android realdoll'. Eww...

KShrike

Postby KShrike » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:35 am UTC

GET THE HELL OUT OF MY HEAD, RANDALL!!!!!!

I was just thinking "Well, 2015 is four years away, and this looks nothing like Back to the Future. Not to mention that I kinda like the technology that we have today, since we have progressed so far and all."

GET OUT!!!! http://xkcd.com/163/
Replace house with head.
On 10/10/10, My Little Pony started to appeal to adult males. Ya rly!
Forget the /b/ memes, and go watch the show and see what I mean. After all, the /b/ memes exist because the show itself is so cleverly written. Check it out!

dpcd11

Postby dpcd11 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:41 am UTC

I read this and immediately thought of Louis C.K. (especially around 1:40)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk

"It's going to space!"

JustMe

Postby JustMe » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:47 am UTC

I let my pilot's license lapse so I don't really care that flying cars aren't in mass production, but I was promised a shorter work week! The big problem now was supposed to be what to do with all our leisure time. Since I'm still working at 9:45 pm, I feel cheated!

Oh, yeah, and paperless office. HAH!

(But yes, now is fairly cool, all things considered)
I have traveled from 1963 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:48 am UTC

Stop fantasizing about Megan topless, Randall!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

hoffmanbike

Postby hoffmanbike » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:54 am UTC

where are the stick boobies?

cjdrum

Postby cjdrum » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:55 am UTC

Wait. Did he just choose flying cars over a video call with a shirtless female?

What is the world coming to?

Anyway, just wait until 2015. You'll get flying cars, plus hologram calls.
:shock:

correnos

Postby correnos » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:16 am UTC

JustMe wrote:I let my pilot's license lapse so I don't really care that flying cars aren't in mass production, but I was promised a shorter work week! The big problem now was supposed to be what to do with all our leisure time. Since I'm still working at 9:45 pm, I feel cheated!

Oh, yeah, and paperless office. HAH!

(But yes, now is fairly cool, all things considered)

The problem with the concept of shorter work weeks is that no matter how much easier it gets to do the same amount of work, there will always be people who are willing to put in the full five days, and those people will be hired over the "slackers" who think that the time bought with technology should be transformed into leisure time. So while I can see a revolutionizing of what "work" entails sometime in the not-too-far future, I don't think less of it is on the agenda. Not that it wouldn't be nice.
If you're seeking the bottleneck, look at the top of the bottle.

Ghandi 2

Postby Ghandi 2 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:27 am UTC

KShrike wrote:GET THE HELL OUT OF MY HEAD, RANDALL!!!!!!

I was just thinking "Well, 2015 is four years away, and this looks nothing like Back to the Future. Not to mention that I kinda like the technology that we have today, since we have progressed so far and all."

This is an extremely common and old thought/joke. It's not really a GOOMR moment. Unless you feel like every person who ever told a joke about how the future is disappointing but still awesome is also in your head (in which case you have a lot of people in your head).

hujackus

Postby hujackus » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:41 am UTC

jalohones wrote:Whoa - NSFW, she's not wearing a shirt! I'm reading this at work - I had to close it quick before anyone saw.

I would like to know how many other comics there are where she is not wearing a shirt and we couldn't tell.

ddxxdd

Postby ddxxdd » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:42 am UTC

Bluedermis wrote:Flying cars have already been made.

Notably the Aerobile, in the 30s-40s. It flew from California to Ohio but did not get put into commercial production because of the main problem plaguing flying cars, regulations which label them as aircraft. This means you have to both register the vessel and get a license suitable for flying light planes. The Sky Flivver was made even earlier, but was stopped after a crash in 1928. Ford then went on to make one of the most early VTOL craft, the Ford Volante. These would be primarily used by emergency services, but would also have been sold to the rich.

But a new flying car, the Transition, is scheduled to go on sale in the USA this year. Estimated cost would be about 200 000 USD. But you'd still have to register it with the FAA and get a pilot's licence.

Your post has inspired me to research this more on wikipedia. And I am very impressed by what I have learned.
I'm waiting for someone to say something worth sigging...

Max2009

Postby Max2009 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:45 am UTC

In panels 1 and 2 they are holding their phones to their heads. Then in panels 3 and 4 they are looking at them as they speak.
Is she video-calling despite the fact that she's not wearing a shirt?

Also, my future is pretty cool. I carry all of my college course books, homework assignments and take notes on a single piece of plastic and composites that weighs ~3lbs.
Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted! http://counter.li.org

Plasma Mongoose

Postby Plasma Mongoose » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:46 am UTC

The simple fact is that sciencists back in the 50-60s pretty much all predicted that by the year 2000, things like jetpacks, flying cars and routine space travel would be simple to achieve while advanced computers that can fit on a desk would be impossible.

Now we know that the opposite is true, about the only thing we cannot do with computers is create artificial sentience while there has been no real improvements in the production of energy, let alone anti-grav which would make flying cars feasible.

And even if somehow they could create a flying car of practical use, they would want to restrict its use to military, police, fire, ambulance and maybe chauffeur services.

The last thing anyone would want is hoons flying around.
A virus walks into a bar, the bartender says "We don't serve viruses in here".
The virus replaces the bartender and says "Now we do!"

KShrike

Postby KShrike » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:49 am UTC

Ghandi 2 wrote:
KShrike wrote:GET THE HELL OUT OF MY HEAD, RANDALL!!!!!!

This is an extremely common and old thought/joke. It's not really a GOOMR moment. Unless you feel like every person who ever told a joke about how the future is disappointing but still awesome is also in your head (in which case you have a lot of people in your head).

Ehh.... Well, I just recently did a rant about this in front of my friends, and they were completely confused. I got a lot of "Who cares?", etc. So in my ignorance, I thought I was the only one who thought this.

Between Band nerds, CSCI and EE friends, I figured that if none of these people care, then there is something wrong. Oh well.
Forget the /b/ memes, and go watch the show and see what I mean. After all, the /b/ memes exist because the show itself is so cleverly written. Check it out!

irishnut

Postby irishnut » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:54 am UTC

Plasma Mongoose wrote:And even if somehow they could create a flying car of practical use, they would want to restrict its use to military, police, fire, ambulance and maybe chauffeur services.

The last thing anyone would want is hoons flying around.

More reasons to keep studying to be a paramedic! For my sake I really hope my future is as cool as you predict...

severach

Postby severach » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:55 am UTC

Plasma Mongoose wrote:The last thing anyone would want is hoons flying around.

That's another hit against flying cars as the current forms of air travel would be unsafe. The remaining one is that fuel leaking, rusty, barely running flying cars simply would not be acceptable. They would need to be held to the service standards of airplanes or helicopters which put them out of reach for most of whom the purchase price didn't already. Back to the Future was suggesting that flying cars wouldn't cost substantially more than non flying cars so they would be practical for most everyone.

Borders would get a lot harder to control. People would be everywhere.
Last edited by severach on Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:58 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ImTestingSleeping

Postby ImTestingSleeping » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:57 am UTC

I don't care about flying cars. I want holograms. Life would be better with holograms. Blue ones which flicker occasionally.

Ghandi 2

Postby Ghandi 2 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:01 am UTC

hujackus wrote:
jalohones wrote:Whoa - NSFW, she's not wearing a shirt! I'm reading this at work - I had to close it quick before anyone saw.

I would like to know how many other comics there are where she is not wearing a shirt and we couldn't tell.

Nobody in the history of XKCD has ever worn clothes. The whole comic exists solely to promote Randall's nudist agenda.

KShrike

Postby KShrike » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:02 am UTC

Ghandi 2 wrote:
hujackus wrote:

Nobody in the history of XKCD has ever worn clothes. The whole comic exists solely to promote Randall's nudist agenda.

I don't believe that.... But if you want to think that in your mind, go right on ahead. I won't stop you from your nudist XKCD fantasies.

Plasma Mongoose

Postby Plasma Mongoose » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:10 am UTC

severach wrote:Back to the Future was suggesting that flying cars wouldn't cost substantially more than non flying cars so they would be practical for most everyone.

One clear way to limit the number of flying cars would be to make it as if not more expensive to get a licence for than even a pilot's licence.

The thing I would love would be a Mr. Fusion but I bet energy companies would be doing their upmost to suppress that piece of technology.
A virus walks into a bar, the bartender says "We don't serve viruses in here".
The virus replaces the bartender and says "Now we do!"

cjdrum

Postby cjdrum » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:33 am UTC

I wouldn't be surprised if somebody had already copyrighted the phrase, and working on it either now/later...
:shock:

cptjeff

Postby cptjeff » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:39 am UTC

Ghandi 2 wrote:
hujackus wrote:

If XKCD was nudist, wouldn't there be an extra line on, say, half that characters?

philip1201

Postby philip1201 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:41 am UTC

Max2009 wrote:In panels 1 and 2 they are holding their phones to their heads. Then in panels 3 and 4 they are looking at them as they speak.
Is she video-calling despite the fact that she's not wearing a shirt?

Also, my future is pretty cool. I carry all of my college course books, homework assignments and take notes on a single piece of plastic and composites that weighs ~3lbs.

You can talk to phones when they're not in the default position. The microphone isn't even close to your mouth in the default position anyway, so just holding the phone in front of you may work. Also note that if it was a video call, they're holding the phones so close they would see nothing but their mouths.

I can't get used to the fact that you can't easily switch between two pages in entirely different parts of the book if it's digital. College course books generally involve at least one instance of going back to an earlier chapter, which takes several grueling seconds longer on a digital device than with a paper book. And my notes don't follow a standard text format (more arrows, doodles and use of the second dimension) Also, there's quite a lot of pure metal in a laptop.

And I can't wait until 40/50 years from now when electricity has become dead cheap due to large scale fusion power plants. Given most materials can be recycled with enough electrical work, I'd imagine a lot more practically unnecessary technological developments, such as flying cars.

Harry Voyager

Postby Harry Voyager » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:03 am UTC

Flying cars...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RV-8

Guess what I want for Christmas 2015. Seats two FAA standard people. Of course, a new 200hp engine costs $40,000 USD, and runs on 100 Octane Low-Lead. Of course, "new" in FAA parlance is "First Flew in 1955" new, so ymmv.

Addendum: From what I have gathered so far, 100LL costs more than $5.00 USD, and if it comes into contact with conventional gasoline processing chain, regulations basically require everything connected to the thing contaminated be completely rebuilt, with the old building materials treated as hazardous waste.

jalohones

Postby jalohones » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:18 am UTC

Ghandi 2 wrote:
hujackus wrote:

A beret counts as clothing.

Sk25

Postby Sk25 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:36 am UTC

Isn't third panel an example of nerd sniping, only applied to non-nerds?

At least, that's what it did with me.
I blog, I program (and again), and I tweet. Actually, I used to. I do nothing now. Thanks for not asking.

existentialpanda

Postby existentialpanda » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:46 am UTC

Flying cars? There's an app for that.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”