0827: "My Business Idea"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Sc4Freak

Re: 0827: "Business Idea"

Postby Sc4Freak » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:03 pm UTC

oddtail wrote:Heh... people don't seem to realise it, but an idea is just an idea.

A couple weeks back, I was at a fantasy/sci-fi/RPG type of con, and I attended a meeting with a guy (who was the co-author of an RPG that's been quite successful in Poland, and achieved a semi-legendary status long before it was first published) talking about game design. One of the major points of the presentation was "Ideas Are Cheap". The guy went to great lengths to explain what should really be rather obvious - that an idea is something great, but from having a good idea to having something that you can sell is a long, long road. He talked about it in the context of "don't be afraid to throw your ideas away as you work, you'll have several dozen more before you're finished", but he also joked about people complaining that someone "stole" their idea for a boardgame or whatever. Or people telling him that they "have this great idea for an RPG, but they won't tell him because they're afraid someone will steal them".

Guess that applies to more than just game design. Good comic, although it irritates me when people have this sort of attitude in real life. You can't make a fortune on an idea alone - people have ideas all the time. Heck, "I have a great idea, I won't share it 'cause people are bound to steal it" stops ideas from flowing freely. Which, in the age of the Internet, is not only silly, but also kinda harmful.

Quoted for complete and utter truth.

Ideas are almost completely worthless. Implementation is what matters. If you had the idea of a new generation of touchscreen smart phone in 2005, would you be able to build the iPhone and make billions? Of course not; your idea is worth nothing. The design, the engineering, the advertising, the implementation is what matters. It never ceases to amaze me that so many people continue to delude themselves into thinking that their ideas are worth something. Whenever I hear somebody say that their idea was stolen, or that they're afraid of having their ideas stolen, I just shake my head.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:03 pm UTC

Was anyone else expecting there to be a bobcat in the package?
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

Typhi

Postby Typhi » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:11 pm UTC

Arancaytar wrote:As far as digs against the messed-up patent system go, this one is beautifully unsubtle. :lol:

As far as digs against the supposed simplicity of apple users go, this one is beautifully unsubtle.

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:49 pm UTC

Typhi wrote:
Arancaytar wrote:As far as digs against the messed-up patent system go, this one is beautifully unsubtle. :lol:

As far as digs against the supposed simplicity of apple users go, this one is beautifully unsubtle.

Wait a second. Is it "Jobs" at the computer?! That would make a lot of sense...
http://gizmodo.com/5141575/apples-blood ... ht-clashes
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

styrofoam

Postby styrofoam » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:21 pm UTC

karmaVS wrote:The popup (rather than drop-down) menu for “share you deserve”, is, as far as I know, unique to the mac. (On the other hand, if I’m wrong and you can get that kind of <select> button with gnome, I’d love to know how…)

GTK will do that, but only if there isn't enough room on the screen to fit it (instead of the multiple columns that Windows and Qt will do), but there is enough room, so it must be OSX.

aadams wrote:I am a very nice whatever it is I am.

gordysc

Postby gordysc » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:48 pm UTC

styrofoam wrote:
karmaVS wrote:The popup (rather than drop-down) menu for “share you deserve”, is, as far as I know, unique to the mac. (On the other hand, if I’m wrong and you can get that kind of <select> button with gnome, I’d love to know how…)

GTK will do that, but only if there isn't enough room on the screen to fit it (instead of the multiple columns that Windows and Qt will do), but there is enough room, so it must be OSX.

I'm totally looking at some of these sites (never heard of fluffy and mervin). Thank you for not subtly putting something terribad in there. :lol:

Matthias

Postby Matthias » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:47 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
mikekearn wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:And their games were better before they turned into a big-name sequel factory.

Please don't state things like that as though your opinion were fact. Bungie's Halo series has, all together, sold tens of millions of copies. Whether you like it or not is irrelevant; they are doing much better as a company now than they were before.

And they were doing better at the time of the Myth series than at the time of the Marathon series, and better then than at any time before. They were doing progressively better over time as should be expected of a bunch of talented people. If it hadn't been for the Myth 2 Uninstaller bug fiasco and Oni's development hell that forced them into the financial dire straights that lead to them having to sell themselves, they might have gone on to be super successful and popular while remaining independent.
But since those things did happen, they were better off with Microsoft. And now, a few years later, they're independent again, which is why I brought them up specifically as an example.

They've expanded as a company, and their name is pretty much household now. And on the "better games" front--though that is, of course, entirely subjective--Microsoft still holds the rights to the Halo IP, so Bungie's actually forced themselves into coming up with new ideas again. And now that they are coming up with new ideas, their contract with Activision Blizzard ensures that they get to keep them--whatever new IP they're coming out with will stay Bungie property.

I'm aware of the inherent contradiction: touting the virtues of losing IP in one sentence and keeping it in the next sentence. The former is good in that Bungie will get out of any real or imagined Halo rut, and the latter is good as an indicator of how far they've come. Instead of getting basically forced into a buyout from Microsoft, they're on equal standing with the likes of friggin' Activision Blizzard.

And with that, I think my work here is done.
Love may be blind, but lust has x-ray vision.
Avatar shamelessly plucked from PMOG.

Also, it turns out I'm not dead--I'm just a right bastard who disappears from the internet for months at a time every so often.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:56 pm UTC

I had the idea to write that website he's entering information into like three seconds before I finished reading the comic!!

http://www.departmentofideas.com

...but these bastards beat me to it!!
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

ritvax

Postby ritvax » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:15 pm UTC

So never mind all that guff, who lives at 137 Ash Tree Lane? I come up with an address in New Cannan, CT...

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=137+ashtr ... 06840&z=16

Also Malvern, PA:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 00692&z=17

And several other cities. What, no one looked up the mailing address?
I wish I was running VMS v.6.5

Aurora Firestorm

Postby Aurora Firestorm » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:41 pm UTC

A guy I know beat me to getting a toy professionally designed and sold because he had more resources at the time. So unhappy...it's a pretty novel idea also.

VapidFrobie

Postby VapidFrobie » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:22 pm UTC

Oh my god, I should totally talk to Audi about that wheel motor idea I had when I was 8, which they are now applying to some of their prototype cars!

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:17 pm UTC

Another reason this comic is funny: that's not how development works. There are plenty of ideas out there--but most need development and production, and usually a few more ideas to iron out the bugs and get things going. Like autos--plenty of people were making them before Henry Ford started building them, but only with his idea making lots and lots of them and making them cheaply did the business take off. Should he have paid royalties to Nicolas Joseph Cugnot? Gottlieb Daimler or Karl Benz? to Rene Panhard and Emile Levassor or Armand Peugeot? or Charles and Frank Duryea or Ransome Eli Olds? All had ideas long before Ford did. In fact, Ford fought George B. Selden for the right to build cars without paying Selden for his idea of making "road engines."
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

Tormuse

Postby Tormuse » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:05 pm UTC

anemic wrote:Sounds like Mr. Munroe saw The Social Network.

Hey, that was *my* first thought when I saw the comic! :P

Well, if the events of the movie are to be believed, this comic is a fairly accurate account of how these things work, considering that the Winklevoss twins did zero work on Facebook, but got 160 million dollars for claiming it was "their idea." Granted, they might not have gotten it if Zuckerberg had handled the situation better, but it just goes to show that the whole premise of keeping your ideas secret so no one can "steal" them is just foolish. The better way to do it is to loudly and repeatedly proclaim your ideas to as many people as possible so that when someone makes money off it, you'll have plenty of witnesses to help you earn "your share" of the profits. Those witnesses will help take the effort out of making money off your idea. :)
I'm not really that patriotic... really!

Cool Username

Postby Cool Username » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:45 pm UTC

Classic xkcd: a gem of a good idea and a decent punchline buried underneath maddeningly shoddy execution. I think this idea could be fairly funny, but Randall's lack of competence in constructing it ruins the whole thing.

File this one under "Reasons Randall needs an editor" alongside most of his comics. *sigh*...

Wnderer

Postby Wnderer » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:48 pm UTC

Sc4Freak wrote:
oddtail wrote:Heh... people don't seem to realise it, but an idea is just an idea.

A couple weeks back, I was at a fantasy/sci-fi/RPG type of con, and I attended a meeting with a guy (who was the co-author of an RPG that's been quite successful in Poland, and achieved a semi-legendary status long before it was first published) talking about game design. One of the major points of the presentation was "Ideas Are Cheap". The guy went to great lengths to explain what should really be rather obvious - that an idea is something great, but from having a good idea to having something that you can sell is a long, long road. He talked about it in the context of "don't be afraid to throw your ideas away as you work, you'll have several dozen more before you're finished", but he also joked about people complaining that someone "stole" their idea for a boardgame or whatever. Or people telling him that they "have this great idea for an RPG, but they won't tell him because they're afraid someone will steal them".

Guess that applies to more than just game design. Good comic, although it irritates me when people have this sort of attitude in real life. You can't make a fortune on an idea alone - people have ideas all the time. Heck, "I have a great idea, I won't share it 'cause people are bound to steal it" stops ideas from flowing freely. Which, in the age of the Internet, is not only silly, but also kinda harmful.

Quoted for complete and utter truth.

Ideas are almost completely worthless. Implementation is what matters. If you had the idea of a new generation of touchscreen smart phone in 2005, would you be able to build the iPhone and make billions? Of course not; your idea is worth nothing. The design, the engineering, the advertising, the implementation is what matters. It never ceases to amaze me that so many people continue to delude themselves into thinking that their ideas are worth something. Whenever I hear somebody say that their idea was stolen, or that they're afraid of having their ideas stolen, I just shake my head.

Or as Edison said, "Genius: one percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration."

sambooga

Postby sambooga » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:56 pm UTC

I'd like to see a similar idea where a band has to write a song about you if you can prove you liked them "before they were big". I think I hear more whining about credit for that than anything.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:05 pm UTC

JTL wrote:In addition there are only five houses in that cul-de-sac! So unless they have a 'pick your own' numbering system, or one is actually the house from the book and the owner's decided to rent out their extra space I doubt there's a number 137!

Google Maps thinks there is, otherwise it would tell you there's no such address when you search for that street number. All I did was search for 137 Ash Tree Ln and pick the one closest to Randall out of the results.

But then if it is from House of Leaves maybe Randall doesn't know whoever lives there and now I've sent all the creeps on the east coast to their doorstop just for not getting a reference...

Matthias wrote:they're on equal standing with the likes of friggin' Activision Blizzard.

Which shouldn't be all that surprising considering that the companies are about the same age (founded in '91, first big hit in '94) and were direct competitors in the mid-late nineties (Starcraft vs Myth).
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

kyle90

Postby kyle90 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:16 pm UTC

So.... posts on Halfbakery don't constitute prior art when it comes to patent law? That's a shame.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:25 pm UTC

Cool Username wrote:Classic xkcd: a gem of a good idea and a decent punchline buried underneath maddeningly shoddy execution. I think this idea could be fairly funny, but Randall's lack of competence in constructing it ruins the whole thing.

File this one under "Reasons Randall needs an editor" alongside most of his comics. *sigh*...

No no no... file under "I'll redo this because it's under creative commons."

No excuses or complaining. Don't like the way he did it? Do it better and give him credit for his fine idea... but your better execution.

OH wait, this is horribly on topic. And here I was trying to be a (patent) troll.
[hint, scary!]

searching

Postby searching » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:42 pm UTC

It's true, there are scads of people who accuse others of running off with their ideas. Look up "Aaron Greenspan" - he wrote an entire novel about how he is the true founder of "the Facebook era". If you look closely at what happened, it's a repugnant claim, and some of the inner dialogue he documents in the book is ridiculous enough to be cringe-worthy.

But, there are also the people who blame nobody but themselves, and obsessively regret over failing to capitalize on an opportunity. That's a bitter pill to swallow. These people seldom brag about the incident, as they're too ashamed of what they consider to be an unforgivable mistake. Even The Social Network touched on this, noting the founder of Victoria's Secret who jumped off a bridge after realizing the value of the company he sold. Should these individuals take comfort in the fact that ideas don't always lead to success, or are they justified in the perpetual regret they feel over their failure to execute?

mattbob

Postby mattbob » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:15 pm UTC

I actually got a good chuckle out of this one. What should have happened was that he DIDN'T get the money, but he ended up getting it anyway. Nothing really wrong with this comic, and although it's not amazing, it's decent and works.

mjc0961

Postby mjc0961 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:15 pm UTC

Haha, I like this one. Sadly I think too many people think the world actually works like that.

mikekearn wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:And their games were better before they turned into a big-name sequel factory.

Please don't state things like that as though your opinion were fact.
He (or she) didn't. Please don't start whining about how there aren't redundant "IMOs" plastered all over the place. The lack of that stupid acronym doesn't mean the poster thinks their opinion is anything more than an opinion. It just means they don't waste time stating the obvious. You don't need to be reminded that this is a post or that you are on a forum, so why would you need to be reminded that an opinion is an opinion? The world would be a better place if people didn't try to start something every time a person stated an opinion without layers of disclaimers.

TectonInd

Postby TectonInd » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:38 pm UTC

mikekearn wrote:

Please don't state things like that as though your opinion were fact. Bungie's Halo series has, all together, sold tens of millions of copies. Whether you like it or not is irrelevant; they are doing much better as a company now than they were before.

Three Marathon games. THREE.

The last one wasn't even good.

rhhardin

Postby rhhardin » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:35 am UTC

Actually, there's current rumblings that intellectual property rights are a crock, namely just a mechanism for monopoly rent seeking with no social payoff, contrary to what everybody has been taught. Creativity is not expanded. (Why does Lady Gaga make a thousand times what Frank Sinatra did? Rent seeking.)

Theory expanded in http://www.econtalk.org/archives/_featu ... le_boldrin

Everything you know is wrong.

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:13 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Which shouldn't be all that surprising considering that the companies are about the same age (founded in '91, first big hit in '94) and were direct competitors in the mid-late nineties (Starcraft vs Myth).
Most of Activision Blizzard's weight comes from the "Activision" part; Blizzard's changed hands more times than a bong at Woodstock.
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:12 am UTC

rhhardin wrote:Actually, there's current rumblings that intellectual property rights are a crock, namely just a mechanism for monopoly rent seeking with no social payoff, contrary to what everybody has been taught. Creativity is not expanded. (Why does Lady Gaga make a thousand times what Frank Sinatra did? Rent seeking.)

Theory expanded in http://www.econtalk.org/archives/_featu ... le_boldrin

Everything you know is wrong.

I want to say you're either a talented troll or new around here, as that idea has been popular on some parts of the Internet for years.

littlelj

Postby littlelj » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:11 am UTC

huadpe wrote:I work in patent law for independent inventors. This is exactly how they think the world works.

And for those of us who work under the European Patent Convention (and all the other jurisdictions where business ideas are unpatentable), an opportunity for a smirk.

kyle90 wrote:So.... posts on Halfbakery don't constitute prior art when it comes to patent law? That's a shame.

At the risk of getting into it, if the posts are date-stamped early enough they could be prior art... Hell, an old photo of a dinghy constituted prior art in one case.

Don't ask me for the case law, I CBA to look it up.
Dudes, I'm a woman.

Max2009

Postby Max2009 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:17 am UTC

shashwat986 wrote:Also, has anyone else noticed that stick-guy's using a mac?

I have a GNOME theme that looks just like that, but not in the ugly colors of Mac, so no. I don't think he's using a Mac.
Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted! http://counter.li.org

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:56 am UTC

TectonInd wrote:Three Marathon games. THREE.

Technically Bungie only made two and then published a third package which included an expansion pack to the second which was made by a spin-off company and not Bungie proper, and then later retconned it into a "trilogy" after they dropped development of the actual third Marathon game in favor of focusing on Myth. So Bungie had never made more than one real sequel to any of their series' until Halo, which is now up to what, five? Well, three, a side-mission with freakin' Bobs, and a prequel, but still.

The last one wasn't even good.

I'm telling the Pfhorums on you! ;)
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

pegasos989

Postby pegasos989 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:04 am UTC

Mazuku wrote:I will not try and claim that I thought of a profitable idea first without real proof, otherwise 10% of all the profits that come from chicken pizzas would be mine since I thought of the idea back in the 60s.

Instead I will put an idea down in this forum, so when someone uses my idea, the evidence will be here for all to see.

A new way to play Chess.

Chess: Fortunes of War

I'm intrigued by your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

I went through your rules and would like some clarification. You don't seem to specifically state this but I assume that if I attack your piece and the defender wins, you capture the piece I attacked you with. Your end condition is that you don't win by checkmate but rather by attacking and defeating the other king.

Now, let's imagine a situation where the only two pieces left are the two kings. The white king attacks the black one, rolls a lower result and is thus defeated. The white player has no pieces left. The black player didn't, however, win the game because he didn't defeat the opponent's king on his own attack. White player can no longer move, the black player can move his final piece around the board. What happens? I assume that "Black wins" is the intended result but I could also see the declaration of draw as that can only occur when a king attacks (and loses to) another king or a queen.

More generally, are stalemates (as I practically described a specific stalemate above) declared draws in this variation or is the turn just passed to the next player?

Also, would you be offended if I actually created a game based on that description? As a personal/school project, so I could well give you 30% of the profits (0,30 * 0 a month!)

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:35 am UTC

Matthias wrote:
phillipsjk wrote:(Second or third party developing an idea making the money) also explains why Microsoft buys large corporations buy out competitors instead of innovating.
That's a little unfair to everyone involved, I think.

"Innovate" isn't something that can be done on demand, after all, so big companies buying up smaller companies with brilliant ideas is generally good for everybody. The small-time innovators get the funding and exposure they need, more customers get treated to ideas than could reasonably be expected from the smaller outfit working on its own, and the big company--which now includes the original inventors, mind--gets a wider variety of product and more profits. Which allows the process to continue.

I didn't mean to imply that large corporations can't innovate. Only that they don't because they are risk-adverse. I was also not trying to imply that is a bad thing: you want large organizations to be risk-adverse.

littlelj wrote:
So.... posts on Halfbakery don't constitute prior art when it comes to patent law? That's a shame.

At the risk of getting into it, if the posts are date-stamped early enough they could be prior art... Hell, an old photo of a dinghy constituted prior art in one case.

As far as I understand it, anything published can be considered prior art: but only if the device is described in enough detail that somebody skilled in the art can implement it. That may require the author to do some "proof of concept" calculations to show that it could really work.
Did you get the number on that truck?

pegasos989

Postby pegasos989 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:57 am UTC

Well the point of the patent law is not to protect concepts but implementations. Thomas Edison didn't get a patent on "Electrical thingies that illuminate areas". If I now say "We should use the laughter of children as a power source instead of fossil fuels" I can't patent that. If I actually designed a specific way - that isn't obvious to experts in the energy industry - to do that, I can claim a patent to that technology.

If then someone else would come up with a completely different way to do the same, he would be free to do so. Then again, if someone else looked at what I did and designed a way to use barking of adorable puppies as a power source but would clearly have used the technology that I created, I would have rights to that. (The concept would be different but implementation essentially the same)

So I'm pretty sure that if you describe something well enough in a forum post, it can be considered prior art. I'm not a lawyer, though. (Disclaimer: I also do not have and am unlikely to ever have detailed plans on using the laughter of children or barking of adorable puppies as a power source)

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:46 pm UTC

Cool Username wrote:Classic xkcd: a gem of a good idea and a decent punchline buried underneath maddeningly shoddy execution. I think this idea could be fairly funny, but Randall's lack of competence in constructing it ruins the whole thing.

Stanislavski's An Actor Prepares has an excellent chapter on imagination, explaining how it can be trained and exercised, that it must be stimulated and not forced, and I think it applies to pretty much any kind of art: it's necessary to have an active, available imagination to "fill in the gaps" and create an homogenous, interesting whole out of an idea or fragments of ideas. I think that's what lacks to Randall.

But then again, Stanislavski wasn't a PHYSICIAN and only LIBERAL ARTS MAJORS read him, therefore he deserves nothing but spite. :P

Gaëlounet

Postby Gaëlounet » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:24 pm UTC

I'm the single remaining live descendant of the guy who first thought about the wheel. No, honest, I am.
I'll however be modest and only claim my share of 1% of each wheel sold since wheels exist.
No reason to be greedy because my ancestor was a genius, right?

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:34 pm UTC

pegasos989 wrote:Also, would you be offended if I actually created a game based on that description? As a personal/school project, so I could well give you 30% of the profits (0,30 * 0 a month!)

Actually you'd have to give him 30% of your class credit.
[hint, scary!]

pegasos989

Postby pegasos989 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:04 pm UTC

neoliminal wrote:
pegasos989 wrote:Also, would you be offended if I actually created a game based on that description? As a personal/school project, so I could well give you 30% of the profits (0,30 * 0 a month!)

Actually you'd have to give him 30% of your class credit.

Shit, I think you've got a point. Also, I live in Finland and students get pretty decent financial support from the government based on how much we advance in our studies (technically, abou 470euros a month of support + 300 euros a mont of government guaranteed loan + subsidized housing and the like... assuming we progress at the expected speed). If the project would amount to half a course worth of credits and I he would deserve third of it... I think we're looking at something like 100 euros right there. :|

krucifi

Postby krucifi » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:56 pm UTC

I had an idea way back in 2007 after watching lost about a tv show. this is all 100 percent true. it was about an alien race of sentient beings living amongst people but they were an advanced race but only in one respect ie some technology. however their planet didnt have enough oxygen to sustain fire nor did it have water.

As a result we had technology they didnt such as combustion engines whereas they had nuclear fusion using materials their planet was abundant in elements we hadnt even discovered etc. but they wouldnt look like us mostly because they ould be recycled beings. in other words they had found a way to keep the most intelligent and greates members of their society alive by placing their consciousness into newborns sustaining only the brightest human beings. i also thought about how lost just dragged on giving people back stories and how tedious it was. so i decided to maybe give them all my characters some sort page like myspace so they could have all their back stories there and so it could involve people.....

in 2010 premiered a show called THE EVENT which takes my idea and bastardized it. Non aging beings who are super advanced technologically. bah at least my idea was neat and made humanity look equally advanced with whatever material they had. the alien race even envied humans combustion engines.

i want my cut
Yes, my name is the negative frequency of radioactive decay, of the initial speed of light's radius.
And on the eighth day God created Irony.
But on the ninth day Satan was all like, "Nuh uh!"
And ironically made Alanis Morrisette his minion.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:20 pm UTC

When I have a really really good idea and I know I will never come around to working on it, I write up a short story about it or mention it on a fora or tell smart people the idea. Not because I want credit for the idea but because I want the idea to become real because it would be really really cool.

:idea: You know, like a database that links license plate numbers to phone numbers so you can call people in front of your to tell them they left their turn signal on.
[hint, scary!]

pennypyro

Postby pennypyro » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:44 pm UTC

if this comic was real
maybe i could get a percentage of the profits of the 1996 movie "The Stupids"
it likely wouldn't be much, but it would be something.

pennypyro

Postby pennypyro » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:46 pm UTC

Gaëlounet wrote:I'm the single remaining live descendant of the guy who first thought about the wheel. No, honest, I am.
I'll however be modest and only claim my share of 1% of each wheel sold since wheels exist.
No reason to be greedy because my ancestor was a genius, right?

if this was true
i would feel bad for you
it would mean your whole family is dead :(

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”