0766: "Green Flash"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

sableye22

Re: "Green Flash" Discussion

Postby sableye22 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:36 pm UTC

I guess the mysterious weapon being a green bottle would be best for comedic effect; since they were on a beach I really just thought it was a funny looking rock.
And Randall, until I did some reading, I was totally ready to call you out as a LIAR- polka-dotted flashes, maybe, but never green...
You don't have to spend, you just have to pretend.

g30dud3

Postby g30dud3 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:41 pm UTC

I think the important issue here is why two guys are watching the sunset together on the beach :shock:

mojotoad

Postby mojotoad » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:51 pm UTC

I'm hoping that's a bottle of my favorite IPA on the market today, Green Flash West Coast IPA.

On Simcoe!
On Columbus!
On Centennial!
On Cascade!
Away!

Cheers,
Matt

jacog

Postby jacog » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:06 pm UTC

g30dud3 wrote:I think the important issue here is why two guys are watching the sunset together on the beach :shock:

"I wish I knew how to quit you, black hat man!"

Mavrisa

Postby Mavrisa » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:53 pm UTC

I figured applying a palette knife filter to this would work nicely. It seems to:
http://a.imageshack.us/img819/7571/xkcd.jpg
"I think nature's imagination is so much greater than man's, she's never gonna let us relax."

Syzo

Postby Syzo » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:34 pm UTC

"The exact cause of the phenomenon is unknown, but it's thought to be linked to atmospheric refraction and your getting a really cool car. "
It shouldn't be this?

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:06 pm UTC

sPOiDar wrote:It was a tongue-in-cheek comment - I actually live in Oz where the Internode guys set the distance record in a Roadster last year. It is still rather impractical when you're looking at multiples of that distance on petrol, and a 5-minute 'recharge' vs 5 hours or whatever the Tesla takes. And it's the recharge time that's key - the Roadster's certainly a fun toy if you have oodles of cash lying around, but that's all it is. Better batteries are holding back swathes of technical items that will alter the way we live, electric cars being but one.

If a technology is not practical without "better batteries", batteries are probably the wrong solution. The problem with batteries is that they are heavy because they store their reaction products for the entire trip. Hearing aid batteries are one exception: they are Zinc-air (using oxygen as one of the reaction products). Another problem is that recharge time is a trade-off with cycle life.

Purely electric vehicles will be limited to driving around a campus or commuting and short errands. As I mentioned in the SB "ICE, Hybrid, and EV: A discussion of the merits" thread, is is easy to convert an electric vehicle into a series hybrid. Fuel cells doing away with internal combustion look promising as well. Note that electric vehicles are also easy to "convert" from one power source top another. You can have a mix of solar and coal power work in the same "charge."

PS: I have read the manual for the roadster: it can go at least a mile on a depleted battery (in an emergency crawl mode).

Syzo: it is past tense, not future tense. Future tense would use "you are."
Did you get the number on that truck?

rcox1

Postby rcox1 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:40 pm UTC

phillipsjk wrote:
sPOiDar wrote:It was a tongue-in-cheek comment - I actually live in Oz where the Internode guys set the distance record in a Roadster last year. It is still rather impractical when you're looking at multiples of that distance on petrol, and a 5-minute 'recharge' vs 5 hours or whatever the Tesla takes. And it's the recharge time that's key - the Roadster's certainly a fun toy if you have oodles of cash lying around, but that's all it is. Better batteries are holding back swathes of technical items that will alter the way we live, electric cars being but one.

If a technology is not practical without "better batteries", batteries are probably the wrong solution. The problem with batteries is that they are heavy because they store their reaction products for the entire trip. Hearing aid batteries are one exception: they are Zinc-air (using oxygen as one of the reaction products). Another problem is that recharge time is a trade-off with cycle life.

I can agree with this to a certain extent. One can argue that gears did not work for Babbage because he could not make good enough gears. However gears in some computational devices did work for a while as the technology advanced. It was a transitional technology.

Gasoline has two advantages. The first is that the energy storage is very dense. The seond is that it can be transferred very quickly.

The energy density issue is going to be difficult to make in batteries. However, the energy transfer time can be matched by standardizing on a platte for the battery. That way instead of recharging batteries at home, we can swap batteries at the station.

This solves serval problems. We will not lose jobs by shutting down gas stations. In fact, this should create jobs. Stations can get electricity at commercial rates, which might allow greater room for profits. The replacement costs for batteries can be amortized over the lifetime of battery, instead of making it one time charge. There can be a mechanism for station to swap batteries that won't take a charge for new batteries.

There are many possibilities. I see phasing out the gas powered car as a combination between technology and entrenched business interests unwilling to risk the currently easy money. Unfortunately, by the time the well dries up, there is often not enough time to gracefully adjust and we are forced to make a hard landing. Sorry for the mixed metaphors.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:15 pm UTC

rcox1 wrote:
phillipsjk wrote:

I can agree with this to a certain extent. One can argue that gears did not work for Babbage because he could not make good enough gears. However gears in some computational devices did work for a while as the technology advanced. It was a transitional technology.

Gasoline has two advantages. The first is that the energy storage is very dense. The seond is that it can be transferred very quickly.

The energy density issue is going to be difficult to make in batteries. However, the energy transfer time can be matched by standardizing on a platte for the battery. That way instead of recharging batteries at home, we can swap batteries at the station.

This solves serval problems. We will not lose jobs by shutting down gas stations. In fact, this should create jobs. Stations can get electricity at commercial rates, which might allow greater room for profits. The replacement costs for batteries can be amortized over the lifetime of battery, instead of making it one time charge. There can be a mechanism for station to swap batteries that won't take a charge for new batteries.

There are many possibilities. I see phasing out the gas powered car as a combination between technology and entrenched business interests unwilling to risk the currently easy money. Unfortunately, by the time the well dries up, there is often not enough time to gracefully adjust and we are forced to make a hard landing. Sorry for the mixed metaphors.

I like the idea for a propane-exchange like solution for car batteries; however, I'm not owning an electric unless I can also plug it in overnight at home during the week and only have to change batteries on long trips
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:50 pm UTC

Oooh, pretty.

I really like this strip; the colors are great, and the dialogue and humor have that classic xkcd feel to them. Bravo.
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

dd1

Postby dd1 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:12 pm UTC

Okay, how the hell did you know I just got a new Tesla Roadster??? :?

picnic_crossfire

Postby picnic_crossfire » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:20 pm UTC

This is probably the most visually pleasing xkcd to me. I think it's impressive that Randall was able to give stick figures a three-dimensional look.
picnic time!

lsdigit

Postby lsdigit » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:05 pm UTC

londonanimal wrote:
...So the green flash must occur when all other light wavelengths have been defused by particles in the atmosphere. Which is strange, as I'm sure green light has a wavelength between red and blue, so surely it would also be dispersed by the atmosphere?

Blue end of the visible spectrum has a wavelength of around 380 nm, green is somewhere around 565 nm and red starts to go infrared at around 780nm but.

if the red part of the spectrum is the last bit to filter through, and at a guess it is (look at a sunset, pretty frickn red huh?) then the green flash maybe just your head trying to compensate for the recent high levels of red, and as the brain 'auto calibrates' the brightest light as white, it might be upping the 'green' compensation to counter the red, and the sudden loss of red it experiences as the sun goes to bed (um as the earth rotates, I have kids ok?) might cause a visual illusion of a green flash.

Damn it I am not going to wikipedia this one. instead.

if the green flash measurable using a spectrophotometer then it is not a function of the human vision system. all we need is an integrating sphere, some optics for focusing the light, a diffraction grating an optical slit and a linescan camera, some whiskey and a beach then we could take a bunch of samples extract the component wavelengths and work out exactly what the 'Green flash' is doing colour wise. I Will bring the Diffraction Grating if you bring the Tesla. and the whiskey. wait black hat has the whiskey covered.

londonanimal wrote:
Maybe someone with their head more screwed on can enlighten me? :P

wrong forum I suspect for people with heads screwed on, this strike me as more of a 'nailed on' kind of place. ;)
J.G.Frazer wrote:"The danger, however, is not less real because it is imaginary; imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid." ('The Golden Bough')

OBloodyHell

Postby OBloodyHell » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:26 am UTC

From the wiki:

> An optional 7" touchscreen display with back-up camera

"Optional"? :?

For over 100-freakin'-k$ it should come with its own Las Vegas Hookers giving hummers on call !! :P

sPOiDar

Postby sPOiDar » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:06 am UTC

phillipsjk wrote:If a technology is not practical without "better batteries", batteries are probably the wrong solution. The problem with batteries is that they are heavy because they store their reaction products for the entire trip. Hearing aid batteries are one exception: they are Zinc-air (using oxygen as one of the reaction products). Another problem is that recharge time is a trade-off with cycle life.
That is horribly short-sited. If people thought like this we wouldn't have laptops or mobile phones - because batteries were certainly not up to running those devices until they were released (or after for some time). There's a lot of work going into trying to merge the capabilities of super-caps and batteries, which will eliminate the recharge problem, and density is improving constantly, particularly as materials research continues trundling along - and materials are the path to a significantly better battery in the near future.

Dvandemon

Postby Dvandemon » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:55 am UTC

wr3cktangle wrote:As a kid, I used to lay upside down on the slide and stare at the sun.
Today, I wear glasses.

ME too :o I just loved staring at the big color changing spot when I closed my eyes
Spoiler:
from canada, SirMustapha etc. WHO THE FUCK SAID YOUR OPINION MATTERS???!?

lsdigit

Postby lsdigit » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:06 am UTC

Dvandemon wrote:
wr3cktangle wrote:As a kid, I used to lay upside down on the slide and stare at the sun.
Today, I wear glasses.

ME too :o I just loved staring at the big color changing spot when I closed my eyes

Max Cohen from the movie PI also stared at the sun as a kid. things didn't turn out so well for that guy either.
J.G.Frazer wrote:"The danger, however, is not less real because it is imaginary; imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid." ('The Golden Bough')

Araahiel

Postby Araahiel » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:17 am UTC

First off, gorgeous comic.

Second, I'm curious if Monroe got his inspiration from a simple google search of "Tesla". If you search "Tesla" the first web link to appear is "Tesla Motors" and in the web content shown mentions the "Tesla Roadster". Also, the first image to appear is the notorious, Tesla Roadster.
Well, it's probably not what made him think of this amazing comic, but I found it a fun coincidence. ^_^

GroverCleveland

Postby GroverCleveland » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:21 am UTC

GyRo567 wrote:Bottle?! Then hittin' him's self-defense, idn' it?

EDIT: Also, I totally thought Pirates of the Caribbean just made that up about a green flash at sunrise/set. Physics just gets cooler & cooler. :]

Is that a reference to In Bruges about the bottle thing? (it's in Belgium.)

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:27 am UTC

sPOiDar wrote:
phillipsjk wrote:If a technology is not practical without "better batteries", batteries are probably the wrong solution. ...
That is horribly short-(sighted). If people thought like this we wouldn't have laptops or mobile phones - because batteries were certainly not up to running those devices until they were released (or after for some time).

Portable phones existed during the second world war: they were hand-cranked and corded. The main barrier to portable computers was the size of the components, not necessarily the batteries. I have a Toshiba T-1000 laptop (c 1987): rated battery life was 5 hours without the modem and memory expansion; 2.4 hours otherwise. How was that possible? Many of the components are Surface-mount (likely lower power), and no hard-disk was included (ROM was used instead). The floppy drive only spins up during access.

My point was, if you want to build a device in the short or medium-term, you work with what you have. Energy density may double, but that means you can build something "good enough" for many applications with current technology. If in the long term, battery technology advances to the point that new applications are practical, they will be implemented.

No matter how much batteries advance, they will still be awkward for road-trips. If you can drive at highway speeds for 12 hours, then recharge for 8, motels are going to need to supply a lot of power: about 40KW per customer for about 8 hours (~320kWH). If the grid can't supply that kind of power (solar is only ~300W/m2), some kind of fuel will need to be moved around the country. If the fuel is easy to use and safe to handle, why not attach a tank of it to the car for road-trips (like the series hybrid conversion I linked to)?

lsdigit

Postby lsdigit » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:42 am UTC

phillipsjk wrote:
sPOiDar wrote:
phillipsjk wrote:If a technology is not practical without "better batteries", batteries are probably the wrong solution. ...
That is horribly short-(sighted). If people thought like this we wouldn't have laptops or mobile phones - because batteries were certainly not up to running those devices until they were released (or after for some time).

Portable phones existed during the second world war:....

I can better that, Bio-Fuel vehicles existed during the battle of Kadesh they ran on hay and were bridled...

I am probably not helping much.

mekily

Postby mekily » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:04 am UTC

There was an Arthur episode about the green flash!

Yeah, that's the first thing I thought upon seeing this comic.

Axalara

Postby Axalara » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:22 am UTC

first off, the thing BHG is holding are binoculars, turned sideways. Second, perhaps for posters there should be one with text and one without text for XKCD fans who want the complete piece.

Switch31

Postby Switch31 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:19 pm UTC

Second, I'm curious if Monroe got his inspiration from a simple google search of "Tesla". If you search "Tesla" the first web link to appear is "Tesla Motors" and in the web content shown mentions the "Tesla Roadster". Also, the first image to appear is the notorious, Tesla Roadster.
Well, it's probably not what made him think of this amazing comic, but I found it a fun coincidence.

Holmes, you've done it again!

MaxtotheMax

Postby MaxtotheMax » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:44 pm UTC

Just an aside: The new Tesla Model S (which isn't being delivered yet) will be able to charge up to 80% within 45 minutes, giving you 240 miles out of a maximum range of 300 miles. I am not sure if the newer Roadsters have been given the same capability.

It appears that Tesla is working their way down through price levels, first with the Roadster, then the Model S (a more-practical sport sedan.) I sure hope they eventually reach my price range, because I really want a Tesla and I can't afford either of their models.

Karilyn

Postby Karilyn » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:25 pm UTC

manmantong2000 wrote:Rarely a XKCD comic with the graphic more impressive than the content, in comparison with the rest of XKCD comic of course. I liked the content too (I never know that green flash thing actually, is good to know).

Huh... you mean it's real?

I had heard of it before, but I always had assumed it was a prank. Like "pull my finger" or that old myth that you can rub your tummy and pat your head at the same time.
Gelsamel wrote:If you punch him in the face repeatedly then it's science.

TheSkyMovesSideways

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:30 pm UTC

g30dud3 wrote:I think the important issue here is why two guys are watching the sunset together on the beach :shock:

I would presume that they enjoy both each others' company and the natural splendour of the sunset, and feel that the beach is an excellent vantage point from which the latter could be observed.
I had all kinds of plans in case of a zombie attack.
I just figured I'd be on the other side.
~ASW

hamaryns

Postby hamaryns » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:40 pm UTC

I have this gut feeling that it would be quite easy to explain this phenomenon with the color theory of Goethe. Not incidentally, green is the opposite color of red. Isn’t it just the eye building the opposite color, which springs into attention, the moment the sun disappears and therefore the bright red fades?
Hendrik Maryns
==================
http://www.lieverleven.be

DennyMo

Postby DennyMo » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:54 pm UTC

Beautiful comic today. I have seen the Green Flash, but it was really more of a "flash", lasting a couple seconds or less. I was intrigued to read some descriptions here of flashes lasting several minutes. I've been told it's most common to see it when looking west over a body of water, so always assumed refraction through water had something to do with it, too. Maybe not. Many navy friends of mine have also reported seeing them at sunrise when looking east over the ocean, but they're harder to spot unless you know exactly where the sun is coming up on the horizon.

The Tesla would be perfect for my daily commute to work, I'd just need to plug it in once or twice a week. But if I could afford it, I probably wouldn't be making the same commute I am now... :?

filipk

bitter sweet taste in my mouth after seeing this comic

Postby filipk » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:49 pm UTC

Hi,

I think this is my first post on this forum forum (jikes!) so .. great seeing you all here :-)

I am a big fan of XCKD .. the previous one ("dillution") I think was just amazing no questions asked I shared it with everybody on F-b for the benefit of whole humanity etc. :-). But this one has me worried .. On one hand the comic is awsone .. the colors are great .. it's an eye candy in the world of b&w stick drowings ;-). I love the visual side of this it's very XKCD-is and yet colorful ;-)

The part that worries me .. is XCKD comic it self becoming influence by makers of products it invariably promotes? Hey Tesla is a great car, it's cool, electric and all of that BUT why does it feel like it's being a little bit too pushy? It's just the car in there and there really is not deep meaningfull puch line to the comic like in the dillution one. It feels too much like a paid advertisement.

Now I am fully aware that a human being draws this stuff and it needs to eat food, live in a house and generally make some money cause drawing XKCD is probably a full time job (?) .. but I think that when fans (like me) are starting to wonder if they're being manipulated with paid for advertisement hidden in regular (supposedly unbiased) something starts to feel wrong.

I hope I didn't offend anybody including the author .. I just sharing what my feelings were .. I would appreaciate others sharing their feelings and opinons on this perhaps if only to help me come to grips with this cartoon ..

Thank you all and have a great day :-)

Filip

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:53 pm UTC

DennyMo wrote:The Tesla would be perfect for my daily commute to work, I'd just need to plug it in once or twice a week. But if I could afford it, I probably wouldn't be making the same commute I am now... :?

They don't recommend completely discharging the battery before charging it. They recommend you leave it plugged in when you are not using it.

If you live in a cold climate (where the temperature drops below 0C or 32F), you have to leave it plugged in to keep the battery pack warm (I worked out that takes less than 400 Watts). If the battery temperature is below 0C, you can't charge it or use regenerative braking. You may also have to leave it plugged in in a warm climate to keep the battery cool (below about 45C, 113F (note: that number may be wrong; I care more about the effect of cold temperatures)).

filipk: The Tesla roadster is a luxury car that Mr. Munroe may lust for. He has already mentioned he uses an electric skateboard (which is actually illegal on public sidewalks and roadways where I live).

Mabus_Zero

Postby Mabus_Zero » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:45 pm UTC

Wonderful. Clearly the moral of the story is that I can have my dream of owning a Tesla Roadster, and the only possible consequence is me blaming Randy for contributing to my delinquency. And having to give up the recycling money I would have otherwise received for the bottle.

Who owns a Tesla that we wouldn't mind giving a fond bottling?

Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein

RabbitWho

Postby RabbitWho » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:58 pm UTC

The only way the reflections in the water are right is if the entire sea is covered in oil.

http://www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_interne ... tream.html

hmmmm...

hypermetabolic

Postby hypermetabolic » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:57 pm UTC

When I worked in North Greenland, the sun moved horizontally in the first sunsets of August. By going up and down a hillside, I could change the colour of the "flash" from yellow through green to blue. The "flash" lasted an hour if I followed it. Tesla meant only the famous coil to me then - I was driving a Jeep.

prometheus89

Postby prometheus89 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:04 pm UTC

Beautiful. I'd definitely pay good money for a text-free poster of this.

dd1

Postby dd1 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:54 pm UTC

Mabus_Zero wrote:Who owns a Tesla that we wouldn't mind giving a fond bottling?

Well... I just received my Tesla Roadster last week, and have been known to (so far unsuccessfully) look for the green flash on occasion, BUT I'm not that fond of having bottles broken over my head.

Now I'm going to have to carefully search the area for wayward bottles before I can try again. :(

RabbitWho

Postby RabbitWho » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:43 pm UTC

Hurrah! They stopped the oil spill! It will never come true!

lgw

Postby lgw » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:31 pm UTC

Syzo wrote:"The exact cause of the phenomenon is unknown, but it's thought to be linked to atmospheric refraction and your getting a really cool car. "
It shouldn't be this?

It's correct. "atmospheric refraction and your [act of] getting a really cool car."
"In no set of physics laws do you get two cats." - doogly

boriquajake

Postby boriquajake » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:09 pm UTC

Tesla is a joke. They are completely unworthy of their namesake.

makc

Postby makc » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:54 pm UTC

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”