0757: "Toot"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

soren121

0757: "Toot"

Postby soren121 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:13 am UTC

Alt-text: "This is also one of only five identified situations in which a vuvuzela is actually appropriate."

Finally, Black Hat Guy is back! :D
PHP/XHTML/CSS Programmer
http://www.sorenstudios.com/
Fueled by all of this and V8

torontoraptor

Re: "Toot" discussion (#757)

Postby torontoraptor » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:17 am UTC

Other appropriate situations for using vuvuzela:

-herding sheep

-scaring off lions

-attracting swarms of bees

-getting those damn tourists out of your country
Promicin wrote:Now if I can just grab on with my tongue-like foot... wait. I am not a mussel.

pseudoidiot wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:fucking owls is enjoyable.
Someone should sig this

Storm

Postby Storm » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:17 am UTC

Woot Black Hat Guy returns! With reference to the World Cup and everything!
Three Quotes:
Spoiler:
"DON'T PANIC" - Douglas Adams
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost"- J.R.R. Tolkien
"This life is more than just a read through"- Red Hot Chili Peppers

LucasBrown

"Toot" discussion (#757)

Postby LucasBrown » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:17 am UTC

Alt text: "This is one of five identified situations in which a vuvuzela is actually apropriate."

Um... that's not a vuvuzela... but there isn't much difference.

pyrephoenix

Postby pyrephoenix » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:18 am UTC

This is (I think) the only time I've ever had even a slight goomhr moment, at least as pertains to the alt-text. I just today found the Gandalf at the World Cup video on the Tube of You.

scoha

Postby scoha » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:18 am UTC

For proper viewing of this comic (be sure to turn your speakers all the way up):

http://Link removed/cAgdAw
Last edited by Felstaff on Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:22 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Links removed, read the rules

myrcutio

Postby myrcutio » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:19 am UTC

He missed one--hiring teams of vuvuzela players to follow your most hated enemies for the rest of their days, or your most worshiped idols, whichever is more accessible.
"Lightning must have hit it, and now it won't work in anything but Windows 95."

Faustus runs afoul of Microsoft.

Comic JK

Postby Comic JK » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:22 am UTC

A mighty airhorn indeed! Knocks a man off his feet by pure air with no noticeable recoil...

I think those genius brains made him top-heavy.
A webcomic funnier than life itself. Updated Monday-Friday.

Salomon926

Postby Salomon926 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:33 am UTC

If you ever encounter this person, feel free to blast your airhorn long and loud. Last I checked, Caltech doesn't track class rank, so this person is lying!

rwald

Postby rwald » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:39 am UTC

Salomon926 wrote:If you ever encounter this person, feel free to blast your airhorn long and loud. Last I checked, Caltech doesn't track class rank, so this person is lying!

I believe there are some subject-specific awards that are given to a few people, but certainly no overall "this is the top person, this is the second person"-type ranking. Plus if they view being top of the class academically as the only important part of the experience, they've failed already.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:41 am UTC

Comic JK wrote:A mighty airhorn indeed! Knocks a man off his feet by pure air with no noticeable recoil...

Or his brain has given him so much mass that the recoil causes him to only move slowly backwards. That or he invented an inertial dampener, and decided that the best use of spacecraft technology is teaching annoying people lessons they won't forget. Such lessons include (but are not limited to) being purposefully vague to sound witty, tailgating, playing loud car music, being a physicist, buying furniture on ebay, being a devout atheist, and vulgar comments towards women.

westrim

Postby westrim » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:43 am UTC

This is actually a great example of the previous comic (that is, media ignorance and over reliance on public opinion). Every bit of news media I've seen acts as though the vuvuzela has never been encountered before or is somehow unique to South Africa despite that being very not true. Long noisy horns are common at lots of events. I've heard them watching the Olympics and actually seen and used (for a couple seconds, I swear. I didn't inhale.) one at the Pasadena Rose Parade. They may not have been called vuvuzela's, but they were the exact same thing and just as annoying. And now even Randall is apparently perpetuating the myth that they only just came about or something.

lsdigit

Postby lsdigit » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:50 am UTC

westrim wrote:...And now even Randall is apparently perpetuating the myth that they only just came about or something.

I dont see any reference to the origin, which seems to be in dispute over at wikipedia (which is where i went to find out what a vevu-thing-a-megig was sometimes there are blessings to being sports ignorant)
J.G.Frazer wrote:"The danger, however, is not less real because it is imaginary; imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid." ('The Golden Bough')

lingomaniac88

Postby lingomaniac88 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:55 am UTC

After reading this comic, I immediately thought of vuvuzelas. And then I saw the alt-text.

GET OUT OF MY HEAD, RANDALL!
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something."
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:06 am UTC

LucasBrown wrote:Alt text: "This is one of five identified situations in which a vuvuzela is actually apropriate."

Um... that's not a vuvuzela... but there isn't much difference.

Of course, it helps that you've misquoted the alt text and left out the word "also"... it's not saying that airhorn == vuvuzela, it's saying that both airhorn and vuvuzela are appropriate here.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Malph

Postby Malph » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:10 am UTC

Salomon926 wrote:If you ever encounter this person, feel free to blast your airhorn long and loud. Last I checked, Caltech doesn't track class rank, so this person is lying!

I'm a strict believer in the lesser known commandments, like the 11th, "Thou shalt hit smug assholes in the leg-benders with a tire iron" as well as the 12th, "Thou shalt throw people who lie about their class rank off a bridge" (later changed to "pride goeth before the fall").

Of course, if bridges and/or tire irons aren't available, an air horn is acceptible.

yono1986

Postby yono1986 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:14 am UTC

Welcome back, Black Hat.

DCB

Postby DCB » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:15 am UTC

Comic JK wrote:A mighty airhorn indeed! Knocks a man off his feet by pure air with no noticeable recoil...

actually, his posture changes from box 1 to box 2. you'll notice all of his joints straighten out. and i read it as the other dude freaking out/having a heart attack and falling backwards, not necessarily being blown over.

more likely: he's an x-man who's mutated into a bat-like creature so he has skin flaps which added surface area and allowed the air horn to apply more total force and his bones are hollow so he only actually weighs like 60 pounds, tops. And they're standing on ice.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:27 am UTC

I keep waiting for someone to just come out and say "Actually I just wanted an excuse to say 'vuvuzela'." Actually, I keep waiting for everyone to just come out and say it.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

tuckels

Postby tuckels » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:36 am UTC

Toot is an innately funny word. Like moist, or wang.

imantodes

Postby imantodes » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:20 am UTC

My take on vuvuzelas:

Rest of world: Wow, vuvuzelas suck.

South Africa: They're an important part of our proud cultural heritage.

Rest of world: Wow, your culture sucks.

WhiteAvenger

Postby WhiteAvenger » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:22 am UTC

westrim wrote:This is actually a great example of the previous comic (that is, media ignorance and over reliance on public opinion). Every bit of news media I've seen acts as though the vuvuzela has never been encountered before or is somehow unique to South Africa despite that being very not true. Long noisy horns are common at lots of events. I've heard them watching the Olympics and actually seen and used (for a couple seconds, I swear. I didn't inhale.) one at the Pasadena Rose Parade. They may not have been called vuvuzela's, but they were the exact same thing and just as annoying. And now even Randall is apparently perpetuating the myth that they only just came about or something.

Nobody is claiming the Vuvuzela is unique to the World Cup. What is unique, however, is that everyone at the World Cup has one - making any football game on TV sound like there's a massive swarm of bees in the house, something that singular large horns never did.

imantodes wrote:My take on vuvuzelas:

According to this video, the vuvuzela was only invented in 2001 - so much for proud cultural heritage.

Mr. Burke

Postby Mr. Burke » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:34 am UTC

WhiteAvenger wrote:
imantodes wrote:My take on vuvuzelas:

According to this video, the vuvuzela was only invented in 2001 - so much for proud cultural heritage.

You're using that as a reference? Sweet Jesus, this is making Wikipedia look good!

WhiteAvenger

Postby WhiteAvenger » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:37 am UTC

Mr. Burke wrote:You're using that as a reference? Sweet Jesus, this is making Wikipedia look good!

Why would you not believe this guy? He seems trustworthy enough to me... :P
Yeah I know it's not the most credible of sources, but I wanted the point to be made.

brakos82

Postby brakos82 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:38 am UTC

I am Brakos, and I may or may not approve this message.

Mavrisa

Postby Mavrisa » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:18 am UTC

WhiteAvenger wrote:making any football game on TV sound like there's a massive swarm of bees in the house
WAGOOMH (haha that sounds way better). This is exactly what I thought when I came home the first day of the world cup.
"I think nature's imagination is so much greater than man's, she's never gonna let us relax."

squareroot

Postby squareroot » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:34 am UTC

I thought the TV was broken.

Now, I know at least 10 people that have vuvuzelas. :-(

What I'm really worried about is that Randall is giving them ideas... imagine if every South African came to the game with Vuvuzelas strapped to air horns. All they'd have to be annoying and *extra* loud be pressing a button. Surely, the end of civilisation.

(Crap. I just wrote civilisation. I've really got to read more American English...)
<signature content="" style="tag:html;" overused meta />
Good fucking job Will Yu, you found me - __ -

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:49 am UTC

I was wondering why Randell wasn't using a vuvuzela in the comic :P
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

Nuxxy

Postby Nuxxy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:02 am UTC

I'm South African, a football fan (went to a game on Monday), and proud not-owner of a vuvuzela.

The cultural heritage thing is bollocks. Vuvuzelas haven't been around for that long. Of course, in some ways, our country is only 16-years old (post 1994 democratic elections), so a decade is a rather large percentage of that.

What did we do before vuvuzelas? We sang, like the rest of the world. I find it funny that the de facto supporters song 'Shosholoza' is sung more often during rugby matches than during football matches.

Also, don't just blame South Africans. I've seen supporters from all countries latching onto the vuvuzela-culture and blowing themselves to injury. It's a lot easier to criticize when you're in your armchair, away from the at-the-stadium atmosphere. Though if you are going to be at the stadium, take earplugs! :mrgreen:

Vetseun

Postby Vetseun » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 am UTC

squareroot wrote:...imagine if every South African came to the game with Vuvuzelas strapped to air horns. All they'd have to be annoying and *extra* loud be pressing a button. Surely, the end of civilisation.

The end is nigh...

Sauce

Bigger picture with table mountain in the background

It's powered by some sort of air/fog/boat-horn... and it's LOUUUUD!

branan

Postby branan » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:17 am UTC

I don't care what the alt-text says. There are 0 situations in which a vuvuzela is appropriate.

(also, Chrome doesn't have "vuvuzela" in its dictionary. I think it's trying to tell us the evil thing should be destroyed forever)
joshz wrote:So, therefore, by transitive property, AIDS is responsible for racism!

Mithiwithi

Postby Mithiwithi » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:24 am UTC

Vetseun wrote:
squareroot wrote:...imagine if every South African came to the game with Vuvuzelas strapped to air horns. All they'd have to be annoying and *extra* loud be pressing a button. Surely, the end of civilisation.

The end is nigh...

http://www.popularmechanics.co.za/image ... 58x411.jpg

Sauce

Bigger picture with table mountain in the background

It's powered by some sort of air/fog/boat-horn... and it's LOUUUUD!

That's no moon...

MattTheTubaGuy

Postby MattTheTubaGuy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:58 am UTC

I should try play that big one since I play the tuba!

they sure are irritating, but I really want to get one! I am a brass player, and the Vuvuzela is technically a brass instrument. :D

littlelj

Postby littlelj » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:08 am UTC

I loved this so much. I am printing it immediately.

I have had to blow my own horn (over here we say "blow my own trumpet" but hey) recently as part of getting a new job (did I mention I have a new job? :mrgreen: ) so this amuses me enormously.

*goes to buy an air horn*
Dudes, I'm a woman.

Frello

Postby Frello » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:10 am UTC

Randall, get outblaoflblsbf

I just made a purposely bad vuvuzela-joke on Facebook.

Dark Avorian

Postby Dark Avorian » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:46 am UTC

They can't attach them to airhorns...
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/06/10/opinion/20100611_SCHOTT.html?ref=opinion

FIFA prohibited airhorns, megaphones, etc. but felt obliged to allow the vuvuzela-louder-than-an-airhorn

Frello wrote:Randall, get outblaoflblsbf

I just made a purposely bad vuvuzela-joke on Facebook.

GOOMIR? (Get out of my internet randall)
The 62-foot tall statue of Jesus constructed out of styrofoam, wood and fiberglass resin caught on fire after the right hand of the statue was struck by lightning.

meatyochre wrote:And yea, verily the forums crowd spake: "Teehee!"

Tharwen

Postby Tharwen » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:51 am UTC

This is one of the few recent strips that made me literally LOL. It wasn't quite a ROFL, but it was a LOL nonetheless.
[Insert witty signature about inserting a witty signature here here]

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:53 am UTC

Bz.
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

ZhangC1459

Postby ZhangC1459 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:09 am UTC

I only actually found out just what a vuvuzela was yesterday. And when I saw today's comic, I immediately thought of one and wondered why Randall wasn't making the obvious joke.

Then I saw the alt-text. Well played, sir. Well played.

Also, I want a vuvuzela. For special occasions.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:51 am UTC

eviloatmeal wrote:Bz.

Bz?
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”