xkcd.com/unixkcd

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

squareroot
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 am UTC
Contact:

Re: April Fools 2010 Discussion

Postby squareroot » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:18 pm UTC

Hmm, I really think he should have put in "wifi autoconfig". Would have been hilarious. I've also begun noticing some of the jokes that aren't visible from anywhere other than the source code, such as the 'room' 666 representing the state of death. Ah, chromakode may have a bit too much source code humor... :D
<signature content="" style="tag:html;" overused meta />
Good fucking job Will Yu, you found me - __ -

User avatar
insomniaq
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:10 am UTC
Location: WAY too close to my computer

Re: April Fools 2010 Discussion

Postby insomniaq » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:23 am UTC

One of the better pranks out there. I tried entering rickroll/, but the command was unrecognized. At least give us THAT!!

makomk
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:16 pm UTC

Re: April Fools 2010 Discussion

Postby makomk » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:30 pm UTC

DragonHawk wrote:I believe originally (back at the dawn of Unix), "reboot" and "halt" were different programs from "shutdown". They actually did what they said -- instantly rebooted or halted the machine. "shutdown" was effectively a front-end for telinit, reboot, and halt. Very Unixy.


This is still sorta true now - if "reboot" or "halt" is executed when the system is in an appropriate runlevel, they instantly reboot or halt the machine. This is used by the init scripts as their final action, after they've stopped all the running programs and unmounted the filesystems, in order to do the actual reboot/halt.

vaibhavshankar
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:16 am UTC

Re: April Fools 2010 Discussion

Postby vaibhavshankar » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:20 am UTC

Brilliant as the interface was, this is close to what happened when I got to work. Ok, it wasn't video but unixkcd itself which loaded in super slow motion (RHEL 4, old dead distro but the joke never gets old) .

Image

User avatar
Atomsk
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:03 pm UTC

Re: April Fools 2010 Discussion

Postby Atomsk » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:12 pm UTC

davean wrote:
Atomsk wrote:I don't get the 'You are not a diety.' you get if you type 'ed'.


ed: Editor for Deities.

It crossed my mind, but why would it be misspelled then?

User avatar
kernelpanic
Posts: 891
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:26 am UTC
Location: 1.6180339x10^18 attoparsecs from Earth

Re: April Fools 2010 Discussion

Postby kernelpanic » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:09 pm UTC

makomk wrote:
DragonHawk wrote:I believe originally (back at the dawn of Unix), "reboot" and "halt" were different programs from "shutdown". They actually did what they said -- instantly rebooted or halted the machine. "shutdown" was effectively a front-end for telinit, reboot, and halt. Very Unixy.


This is still sorta true now - if "reboot" or "halt" is executed when the system is in an appropriate runlevel, they instantly reboot or halt the machine. This is used by the init scripts as their final action, after they've stopped all the running programs and unmounted the filesystems, in order to do the actual reboot/halt.

Or you can simply use "init 0", which does the same thing but saves some keystrokes (what with the -t now -s options that are needed.)
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

Image

User avatar
rdm_box
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:09 pm UTC

Re: April Fools 2010 Discussion

Postby rdm_box » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:42 pm UTC

DragonHawk wrote:Technical note: If you find http://xkcd.com/unixkcd/ is redirecting you to http://uni.xkcd.com/ and that gives you an "Unable to load startup data" error, try clearing your browse cache. Happened to me.

Thanks very much. It works now! :D
Regards,

-rdm_box

User avatar
Omegaton
Posts: 700
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:23 pm UTC

Re: April Fools 2010 Discussion

Postby Omegaton » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:44 pm UTC

I kind of want this to work for the xkcd versions of dinosaur comics too. I mean, you can curl it, but I don't know if there's a way just to pull up an image.

User avatar
Raptortech97
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:39 pm UTC

Re: April Fools 2010 Discussion

Postby Raptortech97 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:10 pm UTC

Konami code doesn't work for me. :( I tried, but the up and down show previous commands. :(
Image
Keldaran wrote:The Church assents to the Creation of House RaptorTech97

05e90f00779bcbe450a05c4c6c044787 Please crack this NTLM hash
In case anyone cares, I am looking for the "share your proofs" thread. I knew it used to be around somewhere...

User avatar
darkspork
Posts: 532
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:43 am UTC
Location: Land of Trains and Suburbs

Re: April Fools 2010 Discussion

Postby darkspork » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:29 pm UTC

Raptortech97 wrote:Konami code doesn't work for me. :( I tried, but the up and down show previous commands. :(

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
Up and down do show previous commands, but don't worry about it.
Shameless Website Promotion: Gamma Energy
My new esoteric programming language: GLOBOL
An experiment to mess with Google Search results: HARDCORE PORNOGRAPHY HARDCORE PORNOGRAPHY

cprocjr
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:22 am UTC

Re: April Fools 2010 Discussion

Postby cprocjr » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:43 pm UTC

Is there any way to view the comic's alt-text from unixkcd?

User avatar
DragonHawk
Posts: 457
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:20 am UTC
Location: NH, US, Earth
Contact:

Re: April Fools 2010 Discussion

Postby DragonHawk » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:48 pm UTC

cprocjr wrote:Is there any way to view the comic's alt-text from unixkcd?

It works the same as the GUI. Display the comic, and the point the mouse at the comic, and wait.

If you mean, is there a way to display the alt-text from the CLI, I don't think so. That would be neat, though.
Ben'); DROP TABLE Users;--

GENERATION 42: The first time you see this, copy it into yοur sig on any forum and stick a fork in yοur еyе. Social experiment.

User avatar
RebeccaRGB
Posts: 336
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:36 am UTC
Location: Lesbians Love Bluetooth
Contact:

Re: April Fools 2010 Discussion

Postby RebeccaRGB » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:34 am UTC

DragonHawk wrote:
cprocjr wrote:Is there any way to view the comic's alt-text from unixkcd?

It works the same as the GUI. Display the comic, and the point the mouse at the comic, and wait.

If you mean, is there a way to display the alt-text from the CLI, I don't think so. That would be neat, though.


Code: Select all

cat 723/alt.txt


:)
Stephen Hawking: Great. The entire universe was destroyed.
Fry: Destroyed? Then where are we now?
Al Gore: I don't know. But I can darn well tell you where we're not—the universe!

cprocjr
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:22 am UTC

Re: April Fools 2010 Discussion

Postby cprocjr » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:00 am UTC

RebeccaRGB wrote:
DragonHawk wrote:
cprocjr wrote:Is there any way to view the comic's alt-text from unixkcd?

It works the same as the GUI. Display the comic, and the point the mouse at the comic, and wait.

If you mean, is there a way to display the alt-text from the CLI, I don't think so. That would be neat, though.


Code: Select all

cat 723/alt.txt


:)


Cool, thanks! :D

Critically|Ashamed
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:05 pm UTC

Re: April Fools 2010 Discussion

Postby Critically|Ashamed » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:08 pm UTC

Hey guys, I registered specifically for this thread, I even had to make a new email because I was an idiot and told the captcha that my old one was under 13 years old as I seem to not understand the word "before". But I digress...

After reading someone previously mentioning a distinct lack of raptors, I would like to point out "find raptor" :) It might have been found already but I couldn't see it in a lot of the comprehensive listings.

DVC
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:20 am UTC

Re: April Fools 2010 Discussion

Postby DVC » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:45 pm UTC

In addition to the find kitty game here are some additions I would like:

Nethack/Moria
ELIZA
Sopwith

I've never played Oregon Trail, so maybe that should be implemented too.

Edit: I'd also really like a command to display the mouse-over text from the prompt (so I don't have to use the mouse).

Something as simple as mo or alt would be good.

User avatar
darkspork
Posts: 532
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:43 am UTC
Location: Land of Trains and Suburbs

Re: April Fools 2010 Discussion

Postby darkspork » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:34 pm UTC

DVC wrote:In addition to the find kitty game here are some additions I would like:

Nethack/Moria
ELIZA
Sopwith

I've never played Oregon Trail, so maybe that should be implemented too.

Edit: I'd also really like a command to display the mouse-over text from the prompt (so I don't have to use the mouse).

Something as simple as mo or alt would be good.

Nobody seems to be able to figure this one out, despite the fact that it was explained two posts ago.

Code: Select all

cat 723/alt.txt
Shameless Website Promotion: Gamma Energy
My new esoteric programming language: GLOBOL
An experiment to mess with Google Search results: HARDCORE PORNOGRAPHY HARDCORE PORNOGRAPHY

thkng
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:36 am UTC

Re: "xkcd.com/unixkcd" Discussion

Postby thkng » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:40 am UTC

that was awesome. huge win.

been playing around with it for a couple days now and still having a lot of fun.

itaibn
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:06 pm UTC

Re: "xkcd.com/unixkcd" Discussion

Postby itaibn » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:00 am UTC

I'm hoping they add "import antigravity/skynet/soul".
I NEVER use all-caps.

rileyrulesu
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:31 pm UTC

Re: "xkcd.com/unixkcd" Discussion

Postby rileyrulesu » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:21 pm UTC

i thought this was funny

guest@xkcd:/$ go straight
You cannot go straight.
guest@xkcd:/$ turn left
Unrecognized command. Type "help" for assistance.
guest@xkcd:/$ go left
You cannot go left.
guest@xkcd:/$ go back
You cannot go back.
guest@xkcd:/$ go right
You cannot go right.
guest@xkcd:/$ go up
You cannot go up.
guest@xkcd:/$ go down
On our first date?

User avatar
manmantong2000
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:24 pm UTC
Location: New Jersey, United States of America
Contact:

Re: "xkcd.com/unixkcd" Discussion

Postby manmantong2000 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:46 am UTC

I don't know if that's posted already (if so, please ignore me), but there is one thing about unixkcd that caused some inconvenient when reading comic: if the comic is too big for your browser (over 1024*768, or 1024*600 for the netbook user), unixkcd won't let you scroll up to read the entire comic.

Is it just me being stupid and is that everyone's problem?
"Me no speak English" makes perfect sense.

Forny
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:23 am UTC

Re: "xkcd.com/unixkcd" Discussion

Postby Forny » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:49 am UTC

manmantong2000 wrote:I don't know if that's posted already (if so, please ignore me), but there is one thing about unixkcd that caused some inconvenient when reading comic: if the comic is too big for your browser (over 1024*768, or 1024*600 for the netbook user), unixkcd won't let you scroll up to read the entire comic.

Is it just me being stupid and is that everyone's problem?


Page Up/Down :wink:

User avatar
darkspork
Posts: 532
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:43 am UTC
Location: Land of Trains and Suburbs

Re: "xkcd.com/unixkcd" Discussion

Postby darkspork » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:59 pm UTC

Forny wrote:
manmantong2000 wrote:I don't know if that's posted already (if so, please ignore me), but there is one thing about unixkcd that caused some inconvenient when reading comic: if the comic is too big for your browser (over 1024*768, or 1024*600 for the netbook user), unixkcd won't let you scroll up to read the entire comic.

Is it just me being stupid and is that everyone's problem?


Page Up/Down :wink:

Appletoshes don't have these keys.
Shameless Website Promotion: Gamma Energy
My new esoteric programming language: GLOBOL
An experiment to mess with Google Search results: HARDCORE PORNOGRAPHY HARDCORE PORNOGRAPHY

User avatar
rdm_box
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:09 pm UTC

Re: "xkcd.com/unixkcd" Discussion

Postby rdm_box » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:55 pm UTC

darkspork wrote:
Forny wrote:
manmantong2000 wrote:I don't know if that's posted already (if so, please ignore me), but there is one thing about unixkcd that caused some inconvenient when reading comic: if the comic is too big for your browser (over 1024*768, or 1024*600 for the netbook user), unixkcd won't let you scroll up to read the entire comic.

Is it just me being stupid and is that everyone's problem?


Page Up/Down :wink:

Appletoshes don't have these keys.

Don't know if this would work, but you could plug in a PC keyboard. You must have one lying around somewhere. :D
Regards,

-rdm_box

User avatar
RebeccaRGB
Posts: 336
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:36 am UTC
Location: Lesbians Love Bluetooth
Contact:

Re: "xkcd.com/unixkcd" Discussion

Postby RebeccaRGB » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:03 pm UTC

darkspork wrote:
Forny wrote:
manmantong2000 wrote:I don't know if that's posted already (if so, please ignore me), but there is one thing about unixkcd that caused some inconvenient when reading comic: if the comic is too big for your browser (over 1024*768, or 1024*600 for the netbook user), unixkcd won't let you scroll up to read the entire comic.

Is it just me being stupid and is that everyone's problem?


Page Up/Down :wink:

Appletoshes don't have these keys.

fn + up/down arrow :wink:
Stephen Hawking: Great. The entire universe was destroyed.
Fry: Destroyed? Then where are we now?
Al Gore: I don't know. But I can darn well tell you where we're not—the universe!

User avatar
darkspork
Posts: 532
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:43 am UTC
Location: Land of Trains and Suburbs

Re: "xkcd.com/unixkcd" Discussion

Postby darkspork » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:40 pm UTC

RebeccaRGB wrote:
darkspork wrote:
Forny wrote:
manmantong2000 wrote:I don't know if that's posted already (if so, please ignore me), but there is one thing about unixkcd that caused some inconvenient when reading comic: if the comic is too big for your browser (over 1024*768, or 1024*600 for the netbook user), unixkcd won't let you scroll up to read the entire comic.

Is it just me being stupid and is that everyone's problem?


Page Up/Down :wink:

Appletoshes don't have these keys.

fn + up/down arrow :wink:

Thanks :D
Shameless Website Promotion: Gamma Energy
My new esoteric programming language: GLOBOL
An experiment to mess with Google Search results: HARDCORE PORNOGRAPHY HARDCORE PORNOGRAPHY

User avatar
sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?
Posts: 6393
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:53 pm UTC
Location: permanently in the wrong
Contact:

Re: "xkcd.com/unixkcd" Discussion

Postby sourmìlk » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:29 am UTC

If you do konami mode multiple times, more stuff happens. Can somebody explain to me what the image in the background is for the final konami mode?
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

User avatar
phlip
Restorer of Worlds
Posts: 7572
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:56 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: "xkcd.com/unixkcd" Discussion

Postby phlip » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:36 am UTC

sourm`ilk wrote:If you do konami mode multiple times, more stuff happens. Can somebody explain to me what the image in the background is for the final konami mode?

Richard Stallman.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

User avatar
sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?
Posts: 6393
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:53 pm UTC
Location: permanently in the wrong
Contact:

Re: "xkcd.com/unixkcd" Discussion

Postby sourmìlk » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:36 am UTC

phlip wrote:
sourm`ilk wrote:If you do konami mode multiple times, more stuff happens. Can somebody explain to me what the image in the background is for the final konami mode?

Richard Stallman.


Thank you, that's very helpful :)

For whatever reason, I didn't recognize his xkcd rendering.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

User avatar
willpellmn
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:05 am UTC

Re: "xkcd.com/unixkcd" Discussion

Postby willpellmn » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:06 am UTC

Does this interface still exist? It's no longer linked on the main page.

User avatar
darkspork
Posts: 532
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:43 am UTC
Location: Land of Trains and Suburbs

Re: "xkcd.com/unixkcd" Discussion

Postby darkspork » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:26 pm UTC

willpellmn wrote:Does this interface still exist? It's no longer linked on the main page.

It's still there at xkcd.com/unixkcd
Shameless Website Promotion: Gamma Energy
My new esoteric programming language: GLOBOL
An experiment to mess with Google Search results: HARDCORE PORNOGRAPHY HARDCORE PORNOGRAPHY

SonicChaos
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:20 pm UTC

Re: "xkcd.com/unixkcd" Discussion

Postby SonicChaos » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:22 pm UTC

I can get to the site, but it is stuck at loading the current comic indefinitely and making it unusable. Shame as I actually liked that interface.

DVC
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:20 am UTC

Re: "xkcd.com/unixkcd" Discussion

Postby DVC » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:06 am UTC

SonicChaos wrote:I can get to the site, but it is stuck at loading the current comic indefinitely and making it unusable. Shame as I actually liked that interface.


It works again now. However, I wish scrolling was enabled, because the whole comic doesn't fit on my screen with the unixkcd interface.

User avatar
Magic Molly
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:42 pm UTC

Re: "xkcd.com/unixkcd" Discussion

Postby Magic Molly » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:15 pm UTC

DVC wrote:
SonicChaos wrote:I can get to the site, but it is stuck at loading the current comic indefinitely and making it unusable. Shame as I actually liked that interface.


It works again now. However, I wish scrolling was enabled, because the whole comic doesn't fit on my screen with the unixkcd interface.


Page up/down should help.

madaco
Posts: 165
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:25 pm UTC

Re: "xkcd.com/unixkcd" Discussion

Postby madaco » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:39 am UTC

has anyone tried cat 404/alt.txt ?
it doesen't load!(that comic is skipped I think)
is that a bug or is it a feature?
same if you say to display the 404 comic
I found my old forum signature to be awkward, so I'm changing it to this until I pick a better one.

User avatar
kernelpanic
Posts: 891
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:26 am UTC
Location: 1.6180339x10^18 attoparsecs from Earth

Re: "xkcd.com/unixkcd" Discussion

Postby kernelpanic » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:18 am UTC

madaco wrote:has anyone tried cat 404/alt.txt ?
it doesen't load!(that comic is skipped I think)
is that a bug or is it a feature?
same if you say to display the 404 comic

There is no comic 404!
From the S/F I FAQ:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:5. Comic #404 is missing on purpose. Pressing the random button can take you to a 404 error if you land on that comic. Press the "back" button in your browser and hit the random button again to continue your random search. It's a joke. Remember jokes?
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

Image

User avatar
Hasufel
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:20 pm UTC

Re: "xkcd.com/unixkcd" Discussion

Postby Hasufel » Tue May 04, 2010 3:35 am UTC

Unixkcd didn't load today. I'm fed up with xkcd. I used to be a huge fan, waiting and reloading at midnight for every new comic (I even got a shirt, a poster, and some stickers), but now it's just awful. Unixkcd was the best thing to happen to xkcd in a really long time, and it, xkcdsucks, and xkcd explained were the only things keeping me reading each comic. If unixkcd stops working, I'm done with xkcd. xkcd was fun while it lasted, but it's dead now. Thanks for the great comics; I'll come back sometime in the future to reread those. Hopefully by then I can use unixkcd, even if it doesn't have the most recent comics updated.

squareroot
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 am UTC
Contact:

Re: "xkcd.com/unixkcd" Discussion

Postby squareroot » Tue May 04, 2010 4:42 am UTC

Unixkcd doesn't have to be "updated" in order to access the latest comics. You can just leave it alone, it still loads to newest ones.

And if you really want it back and it seems to be gone forever, just copy/paste the code into a couple new files and open 'em up. :)
<signature content="" style="tag:html;" overused meta />
Good fucking job Will Yu, you found me - __ -

User avatar
styrofoam
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 3:28 am UTC

Re: "xkcd.com/unixkcd" Discussion

Postby styrofoam » Thu May 20, 2010 3:50 am UTC

It works again. http://uni.xkcd.com
Woo hoo!
(also, how do I enable time-travel mode?).
aadams wrote:I am a very nice whatever it is I am.

User avatar
darkspork
Posts: 532
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:43 am UTC
Location: Land of Trains and Suburbs

Re: "xkcd.com/unixkcd" Discussion

Postby darkspork » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:43 am UTC

Broken again. I can't read any comics past #771.
Shameless Website Promotion: Gamma Energy
My new esoteric programming language: GLOBOL
An experiment to mess with Google Search results: HARDCORE PORNOGRAPHY HARDCORE PORNOGRAPHY


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Агата013 and 43 guests