0672: "Suggestions"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

frey553

Re: "Suggestions" Discussion

Postby frey553 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:25 pm UTC

TheWaterBear wrote:
petafile wrote:CollegeHumor did it.

http://www.collegehumor.com/article:1794382

This. A very disappointing Monday comic :(

I was just gonna say that and I agree. Plus they did it almost a week ago already...coincidence? hmmm idk...
Last edited by frey553 on Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

gamma-normids

Postby gamma-normids » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:27 pm UTC

Ok, "get out of my head, randall!"

Just the other night, I was saying to a friend that FB ALWAYS suggest me the same guy. "send him a message", "get in touch againg", "help him to improve his FB experience", etc.. etc... always, the same guy. I know him but we're not that close. It just make me kinda sad because I whish we were..

javahead

Postby javahead » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:38 pm UTC

As spoken by many before me,

Get outta my head!

stephenjoshd

Postby stephenjoshd » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:25 pm UTC

The worst is when facebook decides that someone hasn't logged in a while and that you "should make facebook better for them" when that person died a couple weeks ago.

Thank you facebook...

Dylnuge

Postby Dylnuge » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:46 pm UTC

Unfortunately, not the funniest comic ever. Though I do agree that the suggestions on Facebook get annoying from time to time, mostly because people post on my wall just due to some suggestions when I haven't been on in a while.

Also, I seem to remember a while back hearing about people who were getting suggestions to reconnect with friends who had actually died in real life.

Oh, and for the person who brought up Google's web validity, the warning about HTML 5 Validity Checker is informing the user that they are using an experimental validity checker to check Google's HTML. It's not a warning about the Google HTML code itself.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

mandariehl

Postby mandariehl » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:04 pm UTC

This facebook feature really depresses me, actually.

It keeps suggesting that I reconnect with a friend of mine who died.

1) I would reconnect with her if I could, a**holes.
2) I would have to defriend her to prevent her coming up as a suggestion, and I'm not willing to do that.

:(

nowfocus

Postby nowfocus » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:07 pm UTC

Licking nipples becoming an xkcd theme? Disturbing...
Jahoclave wrote:Besides if you observe romance, you change the outcome. Especially if you put his/her friend Catherine in a box.

Menacing Spike wrote:Was it the copper hammer or the children part that caused censoring?

jozwa

Postby jozwa » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:08 pm UTC

I guess it would've been funnier if I had ever actually used Facebook. But I almost smiled.

TheHand

Postby TheHand » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:47 pm UTC

It's a similar joke, to be sure, but not really the same joke. But let's face it. It's ALL been done before. We all try to be as original as we can, but sometimes, you just gotta tell your joke.

chocolate.razorblades

Postby chocolate.razorblades » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:52 pm UTC

Dinosaur Comics also has a slightly creepy punchline. :)

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who finds Suggestions weird (but sometimes accurate).

TheHand

Postby TheHand » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:54 pm UTC

Indeed. Beware the power of suggestion.

I suggest you beware of the power of suggestion.

bnlband44

Postby bnlband44 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:02 pm UTC

I don't think it's Facebook's fault necessarily for suggesting you get in touch with people. Perhaps the issue is that you have 600 friends when in all likelihood you can maintain maybe a dozen close friendships and maybe 50 or 60 acquaintances. I think people collect "Friends" as a status marker.

But it's still funny that I got a suggestion to reconnect with a girl I slept with in college who happened to be my roommate's ex...Maybe Facebook isn't at fault for the twisted webs we weave ourselves.

chocolate.razorblades

Postby chocolate.razorblades » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:06 pm UTC

That's not even the same joke--just commenting on the same feature.

umop ap!sdn

Postby umop ap!sdn » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:32 pm UTC

chocolate.razorblades wrote:

+1 to chocolate.razorblades.
I did think the status updates were funnier than the actual comments made by the "you are a horrible friend" feature.

For my RGOOMH addition, I saw this a few weeks ago for a friend who, I actually was thinking it had been awhile since I talked to him, but what turned me off was "Make FB better for him"
I figured that him not having to log on to FB actually would make it better for him. So I called him instead. Half hour conversation, or week long wall conversation?
I have traveled from 1977 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

If not satisfied with this post, please return unused portion for full refund.

Willl

Postby Willl » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:35 pm UTC

chocolate.razorblades wrote:

Ah, c'mon. The only difference is that the friend is a lonely old high school friend rather than ex-girlfriend. Neither plot is part of the joke. In both cases it's "LOL, this Facebook feature sounds more personal than it is! What if we escalated the language to something a website wouldn't say!"

TheHand

Postby TheHand » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:05 pm UTC

Willl wrote:
chocolate.razorblades wrote:Ah, c'mon. The only difference is that the friend is a lonely old high school friend rather than ex-girlfriend. Neither plot is part of the joke. In both cases it's "LOL, this Facebook feature sounds more personal than it is! What if we escalated the language to something a website wouldn't say!"

Every joke has already been told, it's just a matter of delivery/your own spin on it. At its core, this joke has been told countless times. It doesn't bother me, it's just the way things are. And again, it's not just his joke, it's every joke.

Felona

Postby Felona » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:19 pm UTC

Approximately 3% of my facebook friends are non-human entities. They comprise 95% of those suggestions. Sometimes I actually follow the suggestions so I feel like I have more of a social life than I do.

...*sob* I'm so lonely...

Mr. Altaco

Postby Mr. Altaco » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:59 pm UTC

Ondaje

Postby Ondaje » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:12 pm UTC

Facebook, the best citizen information collection tool created by the CIA.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:49 pm UTC

Felona wrote:Approximately 3% of my facebook friends are non-human entities. They comprise 95% of those suggestions. Sometimes I actually follow the suggestions so I feel like I have more of a social life than I do.

...*sob* I'm so lonely...

I suggest you go to a strip club.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

whorlwind

Postby whorlwind » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:04 pm UTC

I love the nuance of the fact that her arm is off to the side of the picture, and the picture is obviously taken by herself, from above, while she's looking down.. its such a facebook/myspace posed shot, great job for stickfigure art!

Ocker3

Postby Ocker3 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:50 pm UTC

I actually came to say that this is something of a return to form for Randall, I reckon it's pretty good.
"why change something that's broken in a way that you know it's broken" - Brett McGrath

XbHW_TestEngr

Postby XbHW_TestEngr » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:52 pm UTC

I love it (NOT!) when it suggests I add my ex-wife as a friend.

Of course, the only other suggestion it makes is "get a life". I have XKCD, FB, COD4 and work. What more do I need out of life?
... and there will be cake.

I have traveled from 1960 to be a member of the unofficial Council of Elders. Phear M3

benbald72 wrote:I feel connected to the author and therefore appreciate the comic, regardless of whether or not I understand the joke ....

Mithorium

Postby Mithorium » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:05 pm UTC

facebook's action suggestions don't really bother me, I'm somewhat amused at them (and they're usually directed to people who arent very active)
but the friend suggestions, now those are creepy
more than once I've looked at my suggestions box to find that I recognize the name of a person it's suggesting, and actually know of the person (but if I actually knew them then I would have friend requested them already wouldn't I?)
thats fine, except the fact that I have no mutual friends with that person, we do not attend the same schools or anything
how does it know?

Fendttron

Postby Fendttron » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:20 pm UTC

I sometimes hit the x button a bunch of times to ignore the suggestion, hoping it will give up replacing them with new suggestions and stop entirely.

evanmccaleb

Postby evanmccaleb » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:56 pm UTC

This comic has me a bit worried now, seeing as Facebook keeps try to convince me to "reconnect with [my girlfriends new sister-in-law]."
That and it's constantly saying I should say "hi" to my brother.

scikidus

Postby scikidus » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:19 am UTC

Latest CollegeHumor post. Looks like Facebook jokes are popular today.
http://www.collegehumor.com/article:1795411
Happy hollandaise!

"The universe is a figment of its own imagination" -Douglas Adams

rpgamer

Postby rpgamer » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:39 am UTC

nowfocus wrote:Licking nipples becoming an xkcd theme? Disturbing...

Seems like an old theme.
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.

Dason

Postby Dason » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:07 am UTC

neoliminal wrote:I decided about a year or two ago (3?) to quit facebook. I had my account deactivated but they make it very very hard for you to get RID of your account completely. They just wont DELETE you without a longer process.

Then about 4 months ago I got an email that I had reactivated my account. Apparently all that you need to do to reactivate an account is to know the email address it was started with. That's it. No password. No nothing. So someone (or creepier, Facebook) reactivated an account I had tried to kill years ago.

And they could do it to you. Ever had a Facebook account? Someone know your email address? Guess what... Black Hat guy is going to reactivate it for you.

And yes. I now read it. F*ckers.

I was thinking of deleting my facebook account. I don't think I will now. I wonder if facebook changed it so you need more than the email address to reactivate since then? Anybody know?
double epsilon = -.0000001;

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:36 am UTC

Mithorium wrote:but the friend suggestions, now those are creepy
more than once I've looked at my suggestions box to find that I recognize the name of a person it's suggesting, and actually know of the person (but if I actually knew them then I would have friend requested them already wouldn't I?)
thats fine, except the fact that I have no mutual friends with that person, we do not attend the same schools or anything
how does it know?

Do you both log into Facebook using public computers at about the same time?
Do those computers share an IP address?

You seem to be assuming that Facebook only analyizes your social network based on information you deliberately supply. I suppose another possibility is that you were both "tagged" in the same photo.
Did you get the number on that truck?

cprocjr

Postby cprocjr » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:12 am UTC

phillipsjk wrote:
Mithorium wrote:but the friend suggestions, now those are creepy
how does it know?

You seem to be assuming that Facebook only analyizes your social network based on information you deliberately supply. I suppose another possibility is that you were both "tagged" in the same photo.

I don't think they make friend suggestions based off of IP addresses. It's a novel idea, but I doubt they use it. They probably do utilize tagged photos though.

usernamesstink

Postby usernamesstink » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:12 am UTC

simpsons did it
south park did it too.

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:36 am UTC

I think this calls for an experimental project: Create a facebook account, and do not add any friends or contacts or send any messages, then, see if facebook suggests a course of action. If it does, continue to follow suggestions. You'd get to see what FACEBOOK thinks facebook should be.
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

sakeniwefu

Postby sakeniwefu » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:00 am UTC

phillipsjk wrote:

I don't think they make friend suggestions based off of IP addresses. It's a novel idea, but I doubt they use it. They probably do utilize tagged photos though.

I can confirm they do. I once registered a bogus account to check a facebook profile. No password remembered, no cookies left behind. One day I logged in again and found the users of the Internet connection I used at registration time as suggested friends.
That really creeped me out. Luckily I don't actually use Facebook and don't have many friends to post and tag my pictures. Needless to say I am not logging into that account ever again. I am sure your local intelligence agency appreciates that you use Facebook.

scgtrp

Postby scgtrp » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:30 am UTC

Where are you guys even getting these from? All I get is this:

I had a class with Ryan in high school and couldn't stand him. I don't even know who the other one is.

It's also worth mentioning that I've had the entire right sidebar Greasemonkey'd out and replaced with some random lolcats with the Cheezburger API since it suggested that I should be friends with my 7th grade English teacher. It's much more useful now.

Fendttron wrote:I sometimes hit the x button a bunch of times to ignore the suggestion, hoping it will give up replacing them with new suggestions and stop entirely.

They come back next time. :(

Nifar

Postby Nifar » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:58 am UTC

The Utilitarian wrote:I think this calls for an experimental project: Create a facebook account, and do not add any friends or contacts or send any messages, then, see if facebook suggests a course of action. If it does, continue to follow suggestions. You'd get to see what FACEBOOK thinks facebook should be.

Hm. Since I have no Facebook account, nor do I have any interest in having a real Facebook account, I volunteer for this experiment. I'll let you know how it goes.
Out of context quote of the week: "Practice static safety: Hack naked."

cprocjr

Postby cprocjr » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:30 am UTC

sakeniwefu wrote:
phillipsjk wrote:

I can confirm they do. I once registered a bogus account to check a facebook profile. No password remembered, no cookies left behind. One day I logged in again and found the users of the Internet connection I used at registration time as suggested friends.
That really creeped me out. Luckily I don't actually use Facebook and don't have many friends to post and tag my pictures. Needless to say I am not logging into that account ever again. I am sure your local intelligence agency appreciates that you use Facebook.

Hummm, I'm not sure I like that... But I guess nothing is free.

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:07 am UTC

Nifar wrote:
The Utilitarian wrote:I think this calls for an experimental project: Create a facebook account, and do not add any friends or contacts or send any messages, then, see if facebook suggests a course of action. If it does, continue to follow suggestions. You'd get to see what FACEBOOK thinks facebook should be.

Hm. Since I have no Facebook account, nor do I have any interest in having a real Facebook account, I volunteer for this experiment. I'll let you know how it goes.

Wicked, I eagerly await that result
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

tannenzaepfle

Postby tannenzaepfle » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:44 pm UTC

It creeps me out most when facebook recommends I get back into contact with people I knew who died in car accidents.

mootinator

Postby mootinator » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:11 pm UTC

So this is what Calvin's adult life would look like.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”