0653: "So Bad It's Worse"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Technical Ben

Re: "So Bad It's Worse" Discussion

Postby Technical Ben » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:42 pm UTC

canalzonie wrote:Dragon Wars for it-so-bad-it's-good!
Just the idea of dinosaurs walking around LA shooting rockets everywhere and the eventual journey into mordor!
whats not to like?

Why, did, you, do, that?! I just googled and watched the teaser trailer to that. I'm never getting those 10 minuets back. That movie is so stupid and makes no sense (even in the little action scene in the trailer).
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

Eugo

Postby Eugo » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:05 pm UTC

ckbryant wrote:It's worth You-Tubing a few minutes of the Johnny Cash Show or the Brady Bunch-based variety program (true!), just to reflect on how such an advanced culture can go so horribly wrong.

Advanced it was, except that we need to remember that something can advance into many directions, just as long as it moves away from its previous position. Neither quality nor richness are implied, not at all.
United we stand politically corrected, divided we fall in love

Tanner

Postby Tanner » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:13 pm UTC

Great minds think alike:

http://survivingtheworld.net/Lesson193.html (From last December)

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:38 pm UTC

Tanner wrote:Great minds think alike:

http://survivingtheworld.net/Lesson193.html (From last December)

And apparently so do yours.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

essexgreen

Postby essexgreen » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:20 pm UTC

I just registered to protest the "Rocky Horror " thing . Plan 9 is a cult film but rocky is really good , a classic in its own right , I feel a cultural void opening between me and xkcd , is this really happening ?

a rocky horror quote ...... "Janet !!!"...

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:32 pm UTC

tetsujin wrote:
Clumpy wrote:Only Randall would think it would be ok to have a graph comic with a scale going from good to bad, whose sole point is to mention that a particular TV special sucks.

Well the interesting bit is that there's that upward curve - "So bad it's good", where really bad movies can be enjoyable because they're willing to do things other movies aren't... The idea of something being "so bad it's good" is so common that one can easily forget there's stuff out there that's so horrid that it's lost that bad movie charm and just gone rancid. . .

So make it a blog post, and not a really awful comic. Go back twenty XKCD strips and I guarantee you'll see at least ten that are either retreads of earlier comics, "haha aren't technology and time weird?" snoozefests or lack a point entirely. Here, I'll do it:

[At this point I literally did what I said, analyzing the last 20 strips and found 10 beyond redemption. This was stupid and crossed the line into stupid raving so I nixed it.]

contreras

Postby contreras » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:35 pm UTC

RandAlThor wrote:First of all: Another graph?

graphs rule

AcidPops

Postby AcidPops » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:44 pm UTC

Right after reading this, I found the movie on Google Video. I was with my friends, who just happen to be Star Wars live action roleplayers (because we are that nerdy). I suggested we watch it; another friend suggested we watch it drunk. So after some preliminary drinking games and obligatory flashing, we began the movie. Those of us who weren't too busy making out, initiating threesomes, puking, or crying report that no amount of alchohol could make them forget the 117 minutes spent watching that terrible, terrible movie. The comic tried to warn us; we should have listened.

vviipp

Postby vviipp » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:49 pm UTC

More like, "So Bad it's Horrible."
I didn't think it actually exists, let alone ever seen it, but it can't be worse than a holiday special for an anime, right? Try it, imagine a Naruto holiday special and put it on the graph. (If there already is one, tell me.)
But I wouldn't be surprised if there was a holiday special for it. I mean, they did one for He-Man and The Smurfs.

Eikinkloster

Postby Eikinkloster » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:54 pm UTC

AcidPops wrote:Right after reading this, I found the movie on Google Video. I was with my friends, who just happen to be Star Wars live action roleplayers (because we are that nerdy). I suggested we watch it; another friend suggested we watch it drunk. So after some preliminary drinking games and obligatory flashing, we began the movie. Those of us who weren't too busy making out, initiating threesomes, puking, or crying report that no amount of alchohol could make them forget the 117 minutes spent watching that terrible, terrible movie. The comic tried to warn us; we should have listened.

That's xkcd changing lives.
Only influence on me I can recall is reading Enders Game to get the Demosthenes blog reference. Though it might have just tipped the balance after the excelent "the gate is down" comic.

[edit] ouch, of course there was Idiocracy. Not only saw the movie, but also spent days on end arguing for a special haven for geniuses on the comic thread, and then exposed some friends to the idea, with mixed results.
Chaos Reigns!

DYRE

Postby DYRE » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:02 pm UTC

I disagree with this graph on the grounds that "so-bad-it's-good" movies are in fact far more entertaining than "good" movies.

AlienObservances

Postby AlienObservances » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:24 pm UTC

I'd say this is true, but I've watched the Holiday Special twice... and have yet to gouge out my eyes/ears or other vulnerable places.
So true about "Plan 9 From Outer Space"... right up there with "The Terror of Tiny Town" (a western with an all midget cast... check THAT one out!). Both Undeniable Classics!

ZPowers

Postby ZPowers » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:25 pm UTC

arwen83 wrote:Yes - the only way to view this movie is via Rifftrax for sure. Same with "The Room".

LIES. The Room's Rifftrax is 99% pointing out what the movie does terribly all by itself, and in fact, overall detracts from the movie by ramming the obvious flaws home too hard.

The Room is, in my opinion, the utterly unmatched pinnacle of so bad it's good, with silver medal going to Troll 2.

Manos: Hands of Fate, on the other hand, is a lot tougher to watch sans MST3K, given its tendency to bridge into huge streaks of inaction and random, long, uninterrupted shots of the boring landscape, etc.

Pi is exactly three

Postby Pi is exactly three » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:33 pm UTC

You want bad?

"The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension"

This one completely passed me by when it was released in 1984, but a few years ago I saw the DVD in the bargain bin at my favourite science fiction emporium. Cool title, only a fiver, how can you go wrong with a cast that includes Peter Weller, John Lithgow, Ellen Barkin, Jeff Goldblum and Christopher Lloyd?

Words cannot convey the crushing disappointment I felt as this travesty unfolded upon my TV screen.
"We are the weirdos, Mister!"
--Fairuza Balk, The Craft

I have travelled from 1955 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

scottgoblue314

Postby scottgoblue314 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:59 pm UTC

Also finally got around to registering because of this one.

First of all, I have not seen, nor will I ever attempt to see, the Star Wars Holiday Special. I have, however, sat through Rocky Horror Picture Show.

The Horror, indeed. For those of you who say that movie is actually good and doesn't belong in the "so-bad-it's-good" category, think about this: the ONLY way to endure that movie is with a group of people, openly mocking every aspect of the movie. Ever try to watch it without the props, zingers, and yelling? It can't be done. That said, I still qualify it as the worst movie I have ever seen, even worse than "The Scorpion King 2," "Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus," (and any other "syfy" movies) and "The Godfather, Part III." The reason? It is, to date, the only movie that was so bad that it triggered a physiological response in my body. That's right - RHPS was so bad, I was physically and violently ill afterwards. No alcohol, disease, or food poisoning involved.

chrisj

Postby chrisj » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:08 pm UTC

Hmph. If you like transvestites, perversion, bizarreness and TERRIFIC ROCK MUSIC then Rocky Horror is quite awesome. Granted, it's more fun with a crowd, but the music is still good in its own right.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:29 am UTC

tetsujin wrote:Well the interesting bit is that there's that upward curve - "So bad it's good", where really bad movies can be enjoyable because they're willing to do things other movies aren't... The idea of something being "so bad it's good" is so common that one can easily forget there's stuff out there that's so horrid that it's lost that bad movie charm and just gone rancid.

TV Tropes already made that point. I can't see why xkcd needs to repeat that point in such a deadpan, unfunny, self-consciously-trying-to-be-clever, redundant manner. There's no joke per se: this strip, in effect, is NOTHING MORE than a namedrop of that Star Wars film. It does nothing else, and I'm pretty much sure that Randall only did it because he knew it would be sufficient to get the fans talking. I think Randall has reached the point of using xkcd simply as a tool to make himself an object of quotation and memetic repetition, and thus popular. That's right: xkcd has become NOTHING more than a vanity project.

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:25 am UTC

This is why Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus is one of the most awesome films ever:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBizgLZX7W0&feature=email

StClair

Postby StClair » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:44 am UTC

ckbryant wrote:And extra points if you remember the Muppet episode that featured Luke Skywalker and the droids dropping by.

My favorite part of that would have to be where Luke dashes through backstage, weapon drawn, all sci-fi action hero On A Mission... and then Mark Hamill comes in by the stage door, all surfer hair and aw-shucks grin, and comments to the camera how "that Luke Skywalker sure is cool."

TheLimerick

Postby TheLimerick » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:03 am UTC

A limerick for *yesterday's* comic:

Bad movie night's going on course
So you think you'll have a dose of the Force
But if you get my gist, must
Not watch the Christmas
Special of Lucas' Star Wars.

(Sorry it's late! I slept ALL day yesterday.)
Whether you like my verses or not
I'll just give them the skill that I've got
Because sooner or later
I'll find something greater
And these poems will soon be forgot.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:05 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:
tetsujin wrote:Well the interesting bit is that there's that upward curve - "So bad it's good", where really bad movies can be enjoyable because they're willing to do things other movies aren't... The idea of something being "so bad it's good" is so common that one can easily forget there's stuff out there that's so horrid that it's lost that bad movie charm and just gone rancid.

TV Tropes already made that point. I can't see why xkcd needs to repeat that point in such a deadpan, unfunny, self-consciously-trying-to-be-clever, redundant manner. There's no joke per se: this strip, in effect, is NOTHING MORE than a namedrop of that Star Wars film. It does nothing else, and I'm pretty much sure that Randall only did it because he knew it would be sufficient to get the fans talking. I think Randall has reached the point of using xkcd simply as a tool to make himself an object of quotation and memetic repetition, and thus popular. That's right: xkcd has become NOTHING more than a vanity project.
The problem with reading these comments is that I have to go back and read them again thinking "but what if they are being ironic?" Are you genuinely angry that pop-culture is not ubiquitously self aware, or are you pretending to be angry in attempt to be clever and possibly make a clever point? It's this way in which every human interaction, internet comments in particular having so little context, is potentially interpreted in so many ways to such differing ends that I'm beginning to suspect will drive us insane as a species.

Quicksilver wrote:This is why Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus is one of the most awesome films ever:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBizgLZX7W0&feature=email
I've seen ads for that, and I can't help but feel like they're transparently trying to make a movie within that range of bad. The knowledge that it's preemptively being marketed a movie as a cult classic kind of ruins it for me. (Sci-Fi SyFy original movies can work because there's still that essence of trying to make a serious movie)

On the other hand: After Last Season

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:06 pm UTC

In my experience, Sci-Fi's(I haven't seen any since the namechange) original movies are either great or horrible with no inbetween.
TheLimerick wrote:Special of Lucas's Star Wars.
A word ending with 's' only avoids getting another in the possessive if it's plural.
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:39 pm UTC

BioTube wrote:In my experience, Sci-Fi's(I haven't seen any since the namechange) original movies are either great or horrible with no inbetween.
A word ending with 's' only avoids getting another in the possessive if it's plural.

Depends on your style guide:
http://www.bartleby.com/141/strunk.html#1
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

John E.

I saw it on broadcast TV also

Postby John E. » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:01 pm UTC

I was eleven years old when I saw it on broadcast TV.

Even at age eleven, I knew it was horribly, horribly wrong.

Twirlcan

Postby Twirlcan » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:09 pm UTC

silversonic wrote:I had to register just to comment on this particular comic: I too have seen this monstrosity:

Twenty minutes of wookies talking, without subtitles. WITHOUT SUBTITLES. And Jefferson Starship. Bea Arthur in a sing and dance number. Grandpa Wookie in a scene that horrifies me to this day. These examples: only a small taste of its awfulness. The only redeeming features were the in-cartoon appearance of Boba Fett and a most entertainingly high Carrie Fisher (have to stick through to the end though).

I looked forward to watching this thinking I would enjoy it for being a bad movie. I came out scarred for life.

I too registered just to comment on this thread. I only saw the Star Wars Holiday Special once and that was when it came out on TV.

I was 9 or 10 years old and it was around Thanksgiving. The Star Wars movie blew my little kid head away and all my friends at school and I pretty much only talked about Star Wars. My best friend (who is still my best friend to this day) and I got in our only physical fight ever due to an argument about which one of us was more similar to Han Solo in real life (it was declared "a tie" by a kid who later turned out to be more like "Jabba The Hut" in real life). So the anticipation we felt to see STAR WARS....ON TV!!!!...FOR TWO HOURS!!!! made it so we could not sleep the whole week. We just anticipated this so much. I even made a Star Wars themed "Nativity Calender" out of glue and construction paper and every day before going to another sleepless night dreaming of seeing Stormtroopers being shot I would pull off a construction paper ring that formed a chain that hung from a crude cardboard Millenium Falcon.

You people who just download and watch this special really have no idea how traumatic it really was to live through.

Before the event I asked my parents if they could take the phone off the hook so that we would not be interupted if an elderly relative died during the special. I had to get permission to start the television ten minutes before the special aired so the tubes would "warm up" or else I would have to watch a blank screen with just sounds for ten minutes (Speed Racer was actually pretty good like this). I refused to drink any liquid during supper just in case I might miss something while taking a toilet break.

So a recap: A sleepless week of a bizarre , psuedo-religious ritual, fight with best friend over Han Solo-ness, not careing about the health of grandparents and planned dehydration.

That is what this special meant to me.

Then I saw it. I sat through the whole thing. Singing, Han Solo molesting a kid in a fur suit. Implied wookie masturbation. Luke Skywalker with eyeliner and the "Life Day" song. I sat through it all just wating for something cool to happen. Something "Star Wars" to happen and instead I learned just how cruel adults could be by making this piece of trash.

The next time my friends and I saw each other we did not even talk about it, like we had all been part of a perverted secret touching game by a drunken uncle. It was that bad. Even worse to have to live through it in that era of three television channels and televisions that had to "warm up".

BizRodian

Postby BizRodian » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:37 pm UTC

I watched it for the first time about 11 years ago online. Back when Star Wars was popular because of the upcoming prequels and recent success of the Special Editions. A lot of people didn't even know it existed, it was more of a legend that was starting to be unearthed because of the internet, and not the common joke it's become today. It was probably the first time I ever watched a video that lasted for more than a few minutes online. It was a streaming real player file, of such poor quality I would probably be amazed by it today, but most people were still on dialup back then. It could not be paused without messing up the stream, and you could only start at the beginning. I watched the whole thing, though I almost turned it off right near the end when Leia started singing (despite knowing I'd have to sit through it all again to catch the ending). Yes, it's bad. So bad it's funny, but really really hard to sit through despite being so funny because it is two damn hours and just full of bad. I think it's something every big Star Wars fan should do though. I'd suggest some drinks and some friends (who also have to be Star Wars fans, that's the only way it works) and something else to do (such as a board game) while it plays in the background. If you can find a copy with commercials it's even better, because the commercials are just as nuts. I never watched it again after the first time, though I've looked back at some clips from time to time.

It also gives great understanding as to why Lucas did everything in his power to make sure he had total control over Star Wars from that point on (whether you liked the prequels or not).

scharb

Postby scharb » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:59 am UTC

Oh, please. I sat through survived Manos: The Hands of Fate. I think I can handle this shit.

BlueNight

Postby BlueNight » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:07 am UTC

I just watched the Boba Fett cartoon, along with the five minutes before and three minutes after. The Imperials searching the house for anything Rebel-related felt very much like the tension-filled scene that begins Quentin Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds. Taken completely seriously, in-universe, that part seems very dark and edgy.
---------
BlueNight

Me321

Postby Me321 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:09 am UTC

Thanks for the warning on the holiday special.

A movie in the so bad it's good category: Maximum Overdrive

points for anyone who has seen it,

Spoiler:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_Overdrive

i actually stayed up till 2 am on a school night just to see how it ended, the only reason i started watching it was because i saw that all the music was made by the same band.

aquilo

Postby aquilo » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:15 am UTC

neoliminal wrote:
BioTube wrote:In my experience, Sci-Fi's(I haven't seen any since the namechange) original movies are either great or horrible with no inbetween.

I'm with BioTube on this one; singular proper nouns are allowed to end in s-apostrophe-s.

Freiberg

Postby Freiberg » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:28 am UTC

eviloatmeal wrote:Can't be any worse than Night at the Museum. I had to turn it off half-way through. :x

Oh, come on! That movie was great! Or, at the very least, not bad to the point of wanting to vomit your liver. That makes it better than SWHS right there.

Raptortech97

Postby Raptortech97 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:12 pm UTC

I started it on google video. I made it through 32 seconds.
Keldaran wrote:The Church assents to the Creation of House RaptorTech97

05e90f00779bcbe450a05c4c6c044787 Please crack this NTLM hash
In case anyone cares, I am looking for the "share your proofs" thread. I knew it used to be around somewhere...

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:15 am UTC

Steroid wrote:The SWHS wasn't really that bad*, it was just bad for Star Wars. The biggest disconnect between the makers of SW and the fans is that the fans think that Star Wars is supposed to be Serious Business, and the creators (Lucas I assume, but ILM and whatever producers are involved) are not above introducing, not humor per se, but levity (the Holiday Special, C3PO, the Ewoks, Senator Jar Jar). The triple essence of the Star Wars continuum are superpowered space-monks, rebellion against tyranny, and family drama. None of these engender feelings of levity, and yet they keep putting them in there.

And I gotta go with RHPS being good for being good. The music's great and the B-movie nature is tounge-in-cheek like Ed Wood.

*I mean it was bad, but no worse than some of the USA Up All Night softcore porn movies, or classic baddies like Troll 2 and Hobgoblins.

People who don't understand why humorous elements are included in Star Wars don't understand Star Wars. Go listen to Lucas some more. He'll tell you. Pay special attention when he talks about Joseph Campbell, too (not so much specifically regarding only the humor, but for the reasons that it was necessary to cover as much breadth and depth of experience as possible in the movies).

As far as bad movies go, no matter how you feel about Rocky Horror you almost have to retch at the thought of the sequel Shock Treatment. I enjoyed RHPS, but it must be seen with a role-playing, participatory audience.
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

AlexTheSeal

Postby AlexTheSeal » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:05 am UTC

SEE wrote:Star Wars consists of exactly six works: Episode IV: A New Hope; Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back; Episode VI: Return of the Jedi; Heir to the Empire; Dark Force Rising; and The Last Command. There is exactly one work of apocrypha: Splinter of the Mind's Eye.

I know full well this is a troll, but I honestly want to know: Is there really a subset of SW geekdom that considers Splinter of the Mind's Eye legitimate apocrypha, so to speak, but not Brian Daley's Han Solo trilogy (Han Solo at Stars' End, etc.) or, say, the SW newspaper comic strip? If so, why?

(Edited for clarity)
Last edited by AlexTheSeal on Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:31 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Code: Select all

10 REM WORLD'S SMALLEST ADVENTURE GAME
20 PRINT "YOU ARE IN A CAVE (N, S, E, W)? ";
30 INPUT A$
40 GOTO 10

Lulled to sleep by the one-hertz chuckle of Linux logfile writes since 1997.

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:08 am UTC

neoliminal wrote:

That guide places punctuation inside quotes without brackets; irregardless of who uses it, it's a complete and utter piece of crap.
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:50 am UTC

BioTube wrote:
neoliminal wrote:

That guide places punctuation inside quotes without brackets; irregardless of who uses it, it's a complete and utter piece of crap.

I rest my case.
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

AlexTheSeal

Postby AlexTheSeal » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:28 am UTC

dennisw wrote:
BioTube wrote:
neoliminal wrote:
BioTube wrote:A word ending with 's' only avoids getting another in the possessive if it's plural.

I rest my case.

I think you just got trolled. At least, I hope so.

30 INPUT A$
40 GOTO 10

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:03 am UTC

AlexTheSeal wrote:the SW newspaper comic strip
And I thought I'd heard everything. Got linkage for that one?

AlexTheSeal

Postby AlexTheSeal » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:46 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:
AlexTheSeal wrote:the SW newspaper comic strip
And I thought I'd heard everything. Got linkage for that one?

Yep. Apparently Dark Horse has collected and reprinted them all.

30 INPUT A$
40 GOTO 10

Nomic

Postby Nomic » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:40 pm UTC

I won't put myself through the torture of watching this thing, but I did find a site with videos of the commercials aired during it. Based on them, it was a strange and disturbing time.

"Tobor is robot spelled backwards!"

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”