0616: "Lease"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

pueben

Re: "Lease" Discussion

Postby pueben » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:55 am UTC

HighSpeedFallingObjects wrote:I hope I grow up like that! Love, love, love Legos. I only wish real life people could live like XKCD characters; the world would be so much more fun, and probaly bouncier!
Ex-act-ly! It's just like this classic:

Both these strips really speak to me. It's like my brain is always maturing, but never my mind.

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:45 am UTC

First, I just wanted to say: if you think signing a lease is scary, wait until you get a mortgage. And kids :)

yaPete wrote:
Simon17 wrote:
HighSpeedFallingObjects wrote:People still use checkbooks?

People who actually pay rent and bills do. I'm guessing you're one of those people you see using his debit card to buy a Monster energy drink at the student union.

Just because your banking system is outdated.

I *have* a chequebook, but it's very rare that I use it. In fact, looking at the stubs, I've written six cheques in the last two years. Mostly to luddite eBayers, and one obscure bureaucracy that's stuck in the past. And I am a fully-functioning adult who owns his own house and also rents to other people.

When I lived in Germany there was no such thing as cheques even ten years ago; I think France has gone the same way. Probably Australia too.

Cheques still exist in Australia, but again they're rarely used, at least by my wife and I. Some of the older folks may use them more (I should check what my in-laws do; they don't have or want Internet access). We used to mainly pay bills in person (utilities etc. can be paid at the post office, so we had three regular bill-paying stops - post office, phone company and health insurer - which we could hit on a regular shopping trip, so it was fairly convenient). However, some of our bills are no longer available to pay in person at the post office, and others now charge fees for in-person payments, so now we generally pay most of our bills from our bank's website. We still pay our health insurance in person once a month though. We only use cheques for odd occasions, e.g. paying the pest control people. And even then we'll get the money from the ATM and deal in cash if we know the approximate amount in advance (and have a chance to get to the ATM).

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:35 am UTC

I'm in Aus/Oz, and I still get actual, proper, paycheques.
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

MadParrot

Postby MadParrot » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:46 am UTC

hmmm, kinda like building a model fly out of the washing up (we had two dirty seives) and leaving it on the bench for one's flatmates.

Michael of Lucan

Postby Michael of Lucan » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:55 pm UTC

I just posted this on the Prudence discussion, when I thought it belongs here, too. We were discussing that next Monday's xkcd is number 666 -

Actually, historians have established that the original Number of the Beast was 616. It looks as if later Christian versions are copying errors, judging by the earliest available versions of the book of Revelations. It goes to show how stupid it is to rely on detailed text in 2000 year old books, which were copied solely by hand for another 1500 years.

So, 616 is the Number of the Beast. But in xkcd terms 616 is the Number of The Lease ... :!:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”