0393: "Ultimate Game"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Gyvulys624

Re: Ultimate Game

Postby Gyvulys624 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:54 am UTC

The game isn't over. Gary might still win and get his soul back!

top1214

Re: ultimate game

Postby top1214 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:54 am UTC

suso wrote:
quintopia wrote:who is gary?

Um, ok you, out of the geek gene pool.

Props to XKCD for this. I've found that geeks have a special place in their heart for Mr. Gygax. Many of the normally black humor comments on the Slashdot article were modded as troll.

So just b/c I never played D&D we're going to overlook the glasses, working towards a PhD in science, love of sci-fi, and bridge playing and say I'm not a geek?

(I only knew who Gary Gygax was from that Futurama episode, and didn't get the 1st couple of panels (although i was still funny))

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:56 am UTC

Ha! Cheers Mr. Monroe!

Way more epic then Mr. Reeves playing battleship.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

malenkylizards

Postby malenkylizards » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:57 am UTC

LMAO, this explains what's been on the chalkboard at Coffee Of Doom (http://www.questionablecontent.net) the past few days. I just assumed it was some indie-rock reference I wasn't cool enough to get. Now it turns out it's a D&D reference I'm too cool to get. :) *ducks*

MathArt

Postby MathArt » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:59 am UTC

Yay.. this comic tells me how out of touch with news I have been. I didn't know Gary Gygax passed away till I read it... :?
Visit my site: Math-Art.net

tenton

Postby tenton » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:59 am UTC

Belial wrote:Randy and I were just discussing whether this comic was obvious enough, and the end conclusion was "well, it's probably obvious enough from the comic, but maybe not. But if they read the alt-text, they'll *definitely* get it."

Apparently not.

I thought Gary Gygax's death was pretty big news...

It was pretty obvious to me half way through the third panel. I guess it depends on how Gygax and D&D affected you. Though, it was probably some of the other tribute comics I saw earlier this week that made it clear where the comic was going (for me).

starsparkle

Postby starsparkle » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:04 am UTC

T_T this comic made me sad.

RIP.

Jivlain

Postby Jivlain » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:07 am UTC

Ah, this was great, and I've never even played D&D (regrettably, I did not know enough geeks during my younger years), though I was looking thoughtfully at maybe buying a rulebook earlier today.

There's still time for me, I guess, but I'd need to find someone to play with.

Vale, Gary.
Last edited by Jivlain on Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:09 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

OneLess

Postby OneLess » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:08 am UTC

Best tribute I've seen so far. I've never played D&D, but RIP Gary.
“Observation: Couldn’t see a thing. Conclusion: Dinosaurs.” –Carl Sagan

Last edited by OneLess on Sat Dec 17, 3003 10:35 am, edited 0 time in total.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:15 am UTC

Wait, you have to play a game for your soul? I assumed one would keep their soul when they died, considering there isn't much of you without a soul. Also, I've been playing DnD for about 7 years, and I wouldn't have had that enjoyment without you. Thanks, Gary.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

ZzzzSleep

Postby ZzzzSleep » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:16 am UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:18 am UTC

person132 wrote:Gary Gygax was the creator of D&D. He died recently. I just realized that the person in this strip is probably Gary, eeking out a few more years of life by challenging Death to a game of D&D, which, of course, can run for months or even years.

Not with Gary as DM.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

SolkaTruesilver

Postby SolkaTruesilver » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:21 am UTC

He'd throw his classic Tomb of Horror against Death, and it would be over in about 10 minutes

Final Warrior

Postby Final Warrior » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:25 am UTC

When I heard (well, read) the news on Tuesday, I broke out my d20 and rolled to disbelieve.

I torched the die. Damn thing was always bad luck anyhow...

RIP, Gary. I never got a chance to know you, but thank you for all that you have wrought.

-- Griffinhart

outcast

Postby outcast » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:29 am UTC

A very nice tribute indeed. It's the best laugh I've had in days, but it still it left me with a tear in the eye at the end. It's already printed and pinned up on the wall next to my monitor.

Thanks

outcast

Disiance

Postby Disiance » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:32 am UTC

I remember once my friend was calling someone to tell them how well he did on a test and accidentally called Gary Gygax. Sounded like Gary was a very cool guy.

As someone said above: The comic made me laugh a lot, the alt text made me sad. Props to Randall.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:35 am UTC

SolkaTruesilver wrote:He'd throw his classic Tomb of Horror against Death, and it would be over in about 10 minutes

There's only one thing in the universe more malevolent than Gary Gygax as an adventurer writer, and that's the dice.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Prometheus

Postby Prometheus » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:37 am UTC

malenkylizards wrote:LMAO, this explains what's been on the chalkboard at Coffee Of Doom (http://www.questionablecontent.net) the past few days.

Good, you saved me the trouble of referencing it.
Well I thought it was funny.

Primatelord

Postby Primatelord » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:39 am UTC

The RPG genre has lost a behemoth.

Although, due to my inability to play a lot of DnD from a short attention span, I think I'd challenge death to Calvinball. A few imaginary rules here and there should buy me some time.

ModerateClasshole

Postby ModerateClasshole » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:44 am UTC

Wow. Very classy. A fitting tribute to Gary, and quite funny.

Though what is with the cu.nniling.us address? I never knew it resolved to XKCD... :oops:

Final Warrior wrote:When I heard (well, read) the news on Tuesday, I broke out my d20 and rolled to disbelieve. 1.

Wow, and here I thought MY dice were bad luck...

MikeStorm

Postby MikeStorm » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:44 am UTC

How absolutely appropriate. Bravo for a tastefully done tribute to the grandfather of gaming.

And for all of you poor saps who don't know who Gary Gygax is, do a google search for the love of Asmodeus.

Vanishing Hitchhiker

Postby Vanishing Hitchhiker » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:59 am UTC

I've never played D&D in my life and I got it, right down to the dedication. Though to be fair, I probably wouldn't have recognized the stick figure Gary before reading the alt text had I not read Tuesday's Order of the Stick (which actually made me tear up at the end, though I liked the double meaning of Penny Arcade's epitaph).

And man, Gary Gygax makes one awesome stick figure. Hope he's dragging Death feetfirst through the Tomb of Horrors, or something like that.

Now, off to bump the "Gary Gygax in-game memorial" thread on the World of Warcraft suggestion board... I'll link this comic, but unsurprisingly, there are some (so unhip it's a wonder their butts don't fall off) that think such a suspicious URL must be a keylogger. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Vanishing Hitchhiker on Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:06 am UTC, edited 4 times in total.
could it be that she was the sister of the boy in Kansas who loved the girl with the tattered shawl who was the daughter of the maid who had escaped from the pirates?

Kalatash

Postby Kalatash » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:01 am UTC

My favorite part of the strip is definitely Death's last line. "Oh Jesus, he's getting out another rulebook." That is awesome
G = T x M
T= M
G = (M) x M = M2
M = √E
G = (√E)2
G = E

libra

Postby libra » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:20 am UTC

Kaderan wrote:He's gone to that big roleplaying table in the sky. Thank you for everything Mr. Gygax. If it weren't for you I might have a life instead I have a 12th lvl Elven Ranger :)
Nice touch dying on GM's day. March Forth!

Not so much a nice touch ... more an ironic one, seeing as he passed the day after http://xkcd.com/391/, to whit:-

Wonder if that chewing sound I suddenly hear is the sound of someone eating their own words, perchance ...

skitch78

Postby skitch78 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:47 am UTC

Talus wrote:By the way, does anyone know why his face looks so odd? (the guy death is rping

In case you haven't figured it out by now, or if anyone was still curious, it's Randall's interpretation of GG's infamous beard. In the frame, Gary is NOT facing Death, but rather, is turned backwards and looking into the box that he's pulling the rulebook out of.

ChronoworX

Postby ChronoworX » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:33 am UTC

unbrokencircle wrote:And if you genuinely don't know, GTFO. Seriously. I feel like there are lots of comics where I can see someone not understanding them (I'm looking at you, programming references), but "Gary who?" is unforgiveable.

Excuse you? You're being pretty rude and disrespectful here, just now someone important to the game community died.
I'm not surpised that quite a few people don't get the comic at first, since most of my 'IT-friends' that read this comic don't play games that often, let alone tabletop games. So their knowledge about Gary is, soft to say, slim.

Some xkcd comics also feature Americans which are hardly know outside of the USA. Should every foreign person that reads such a comic and doesn't get it 'GTFO'? Seriously dude, relax.

My opinion is that you should apologise for your big mouth. Not everyone can have such knowledge that (s)he knows all the stuff Mr. Munroe makes comics about. And not everyone has the same interests as YOU.

For me by the way: as always, Google was my friend :)

M.qrius
Rainbow Brite

Postby M.qrius » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:42 am UTC

ChronoworX wrote:
unbrokencircle wrote:And if you genuinely don't know, GTFO. Seriously. I feel like there are lots of comics where I can see someone not understanding them (I'm looking at you, programming references), but "Gary who?" is unforgiveable.

Excuse you? You're being pretty rude and disrespectful here, just now someone important to the game community died.
I'm not surpised that quite a few people don't get the comic at first, since most of my 'IT-friends' that read this comic don't play games that often, let alone tabletop games. So their knowledge about Gary is, soft to say, slim.

Some xkcd comics also feature Americans which are hardly know outside of the USA. Should every foreign person that reads such a comic and doesn't get it 'GTFO'? Seriously dude, relax.

My opinion is that you should apologise for your big mouth. Not everyone can have such knowledge that (s)he knows all the stuff Mr. Munroe makes comics about. And not everyone has the same interests as YOU.

For me by the way: as always, Google was my friend :)

Agreed, but I was kind of ignoring him anyway. Having only 5 posts, he still needs to learn his ways :)
Of course, feel free to ignore this post, as I have only 149 posts :P

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:54 am UTC

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:55 am UTC

A very xkcd-tribute to a true hero/visionary of the geek/nerd society.

I loved how the comic came across as being completely new and unrelated, until Death mentions "he's getting out ANOTHER rulebook - I might be here some time."

I am very *rolls a D20* ... impressed, by this xkcd-strip.

RIP GG

Majuba

Postby Majuba » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:13 am UTC

Thank you Randall - very fitting.

I found out about this on a break from the polls here in Texas, so I wrote up a resolution praising his lifetime of achievements and managed to get it passed at our precinct caucus.

Game On Gary!
http://my.barackobama.com/page/outreach/view/main/UTA4Obama

revotfel

Postby revotfel » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:31 am UTC

The comic made me smile, and I've never even touched any DnD game. I was too intimidated in Highschool by the trenchcoat wearing guys who played in the Library, though I wanted to.

The way I found out he died was from another webcomic tribute:
http://somethingpositive.net/sp03042008.shtml

Silverbolt

Postby Silverbolt » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:39 am UTC

This is the absolute best Gary Gygax tribute strip I've seen.

Rest in Peace, mister Gygax. Me and the "boys" will hold 1d4 minutes of silence before our Role-Play Session tomorrow.
One day I will bring peace to the world with my invincible Army of Mice
Cheap Rip-Off Comics Inc.

Sinta

Postby Sinta » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:43 am UTC

This comic made me smile in a dull office at 8 am in the morning. *set as Desktop wallpaper for the day* I've only played a few times with my brother and a few friends, but played many more games inspired by his core ideas.
"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother." -- Albert Einstein

W13K23

Postby W13K23 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:54 am UTC

Just joined the forum on the strength of the word paladin
aah the joy of those D&D die the first time I held one all those years ago,
'you won' and now this - a priceless, and fitting tribute 8)

Ari

Postby Ari » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:25 am UTC

I'm not a big D&D fan (I've actually never played) but all the tributes to Gary have been really, really great. As far as geekery goes, he's pretty much one of the founding fathers, so I'll pay my respects too.

Rest in peace, dude. :)
"Hey %*&^er, offensive communication works fine so long as you do it respectfully." :D
"I am so quoting that out of context at a later date."

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:35 am UTC

Not played Dungeons & Dargons afore, but this comic made me smile a big, hearty smile.

Perhaps I should start to play. I have a big imagination and a penchant for rolling things on a table. That's like, perfect candidate material, right?
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

stuff

Postby stuff » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:42 am UTC

Aww... the strip make me laugh, but feel sad bout laughing at it. Weird eh..

In any case, it's Gary... He wouldn't need the rule books imho. :mrgreen:

devvee

Postby devvee » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:51 am UTC

I'm sure that if Gary would lead Death through the Tomb of Horrors, he could add a good few years to his life. Then again.. would Death be immune to death attacks?

Ubik

Postby Ubik » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:33 am UTC

This one reminds me of The Seventh Seal. It's a movie which tells about knight returning from the Crusades. Death comes to get him, but he tries to play some time for himself by playing chess with Death. The chess game idea of the movie is based on a medieval painting in some church, and after not so long search pretty much all the game-with-Death scenarios in popular culture seem to be based on this movie.

flatluigi

Postby flatluigi » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:37 am UTC

RIP Gary, indeed. I never played D&D, though it was always something I wanted to try. However, the sheer amount of things I have played that were directly or indirectly affected by his work makes me feel a bit better about not getting around to it.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”