0392: "Making Rules"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Robin S

Re: Making Rules

Postby Robin S » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:14 am UTC

Punch buggy? Slug bug?

I've never before heard it called anything other that Yellow Car. That site, by the way, has a suggested origin for the game, though I have no idea whether it has any basis whatsoever in fact.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:50 am UTC

I wonder if the mods can add a poll to this thread? Punch buggy vs slug bug?
space_raptor wrote:This comic is actually a very astute commentary on society. It points out the fact that really, all rules are just made up, and humanity isn't bound by them just because.
True, I'll bet if you asked people why they don't just go about stealing and killing and such, many would respond "because I'd get arrested". You can do it, sure, but the consequences aren't worth it for most people.
Daniel wrote:The "no punch back" rule is flawed, in that I can just deal out punches to whoever tried it, without needing a motivation.
"OK, this isn't a punch back, it's just a random punch." :P
nightwing2024 wrote:Speaking of car cames, how about "padiddle"?

You know, where if one of another vehicles headlights is out, the last person to tap the inside of the roof of the car and yell "padiddle", that person has to take off a piece of clothing. Best used on short to intermediate car trips. Oh, and my friends and I would also follow that game for taillights too, except we would say "dapiddle."
I like this idea. If nothing else it would probably be hilarious.
nightwing2024 wrote:
Kni7es wrote:INDEED. It's always best to play it with girls who aren't familiar with the game, so that you have practice and they don't.

And that part is oh so easy. Being in college and actually HAVING a car brings in the ladies, for they request rides to the mall, or restaurants and such...so, sometimes, I'd get nudity AND money for the ride.
Interesting idea, but wouldn't you be the one driving? I can't see this really working unless you're both in the backseat. If you're winning, you'd be distracted, and if you're losing, how exactly do you take your clothes off while driving?

(So many quotes. :P)
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:28 am UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:
nightwing2024 wrote:
Kni7es wrote:INDEED. It's always best to play it with girls who aren't familiar with the game, so that you have practice and they don't.

And that part is oh so easy. Being in college and actually HAVING a car brings in the ladies, for they request rides to the mall, or restaurants and such...so, sometimes, I'd get nudity AND money for the ride.
Interesting idea, but wouldn't you be the one driving? I can't see this really working unless you're both in the backseat. If you're winning, you'd be distracted, and if you're losing, how exactly do you take your clothes off while driving?

If he's anything like me, he didn't have clothes on to begin with! :P

OK, I was just kidding there. Maybe.

(Edits 4 teh grammarz)
多么现在棕色母牛?

Jatopian

Postby Jatopian » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:55 am UTC

Is it just me or does the girlfriend look quite willing?

Firnagzen

Postby Firnagzen » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:27 am UTC

Have a look at the attachment.

Also, this comic has sadly passed straight over my head... Must be a culture thing.
Attachments
Untitled.gif
Untitled.gif (8.32 KiB) Viewed 5024 times
Life may suck, but there's nothing else to do.

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:02 am UTC

Fnordstrum wrote:The way we always did it you had to say something that rhymed with the color, generally something stupid because that's how it works out, but, for example, for "No punch back" it'd have to be a "Punch Buggy Black," since Yellow or Blue or anything doesn't rhyme with back, you'd have to say something else. (And therefore might be susceptible to a punch-back)

Fnord.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

1: Punch buggy blue, I love you! *punch*
2. *SOCK* I love you too.
1. Hey! No loving back!

:P
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

1=0

Postby 1=0 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:26 pm UTC

Hi,

I'm not sure whether I'm completely missing the point or what.
I didn't get this joke at all and could only seriously agree with the Alt Text.

Bumnut wrote:I'm finding it harder to believe that Randal doesn't write comic based on the forum discussion about the previous comic.

I don't know, I guess it would somehow be logical that he somehow read it - if/when he really has a lot of time spare/to waste :) It does give him at least a feedback from readers and I find it nice that an author knows that readers appreciate his work. Being the author and in this sense a perfect tyrant, I don't expect him to be in any way influenced by what the readers like, want or wish. It is his work.
Besides, the "About" page says :
http://xkcd.com/about/ wrote:I frequently lurk in the #xkcd IRC channel on irc.foonetic.net
So, there you have it :)

space_raptor wrote: This comic is actually a very astute commentary on society. It points out the fact that really, all rules are just made up, and humanity isn't bound by them just because.

Now about the particular comic, or rather the past two comic. I must say that, first I see a direct relation between both comics and I was somehow surprised that I didn't read comments on this. Both strips are about someone accepting someone else's rules without thinking or reacting.
Perhaps this is a US thing (I'm from the backward continent), perhaps this is somehow a "recent" kids' game I haven't heard of (did I understand it cam from an episode from the Simpsons ?).
"Punch... no punch back"... Excuse me ? As someone put it, "you punch me, you get punched", then we start discussing WHAT IN HELL GOT INTO YOUR MIND ? And then, depending on the situation, Authorities get involved (parents, teachers, directors, boss, police, whatever). What kind of society is this ? What are the parents doing ?

functionally_stupid wrote:(...) Seriously, though, children *feel* things with an intensity that is at least as vivid as the way adults feel things; they have to have a healthy outlet for their aggression. Games like these are fascinating; the ritualization of violence serves to turn aggression into a game, (...)
And so, driven by universal needs, children universally make up games quite like these, imposing their *own* rules on other people through the social interaction of the game.

I'm not sure what I'm reading there. "An outlet for their aggression"? While I'd agree with the premises, this is simply insane. The way I see it, this game is simply "animals trying to find/establish their position in the pack", which is normal. Some kids try to impose their rules onto others, if it works, they gain status, plus, by punching and not getting punched, they gain yet more status.

Let's face it, kids need to find their position in society, added to this the fact that they're most of the time in a subordinate position. But it still is the parents' role to teach their children that violence is not acceptable.

functionally_stupid wrote:This particular game is interesting; it trains children to be more alert to their surroundings, it trains them to associate names with colors, it trains them in social bargaining tactics, and so on.

It teaches them that brutality and violence are acceptable, that rules are arbitrary, ergo, that laws, rules in society, at school, at home, have neither sense nor meaning except that they're established and enforced by the alpha wolf. It also teaches them (which might be a good thing [tm]) that they have to be aware at all time because some bast*** might punch them...

As Mr Munroe said it :
I never understood why someone would expect me to accept their rules right after they'd punched me. I'm sure it's all very symbolic or something.

Maybe I'm missing the points the fellow forum posters have been making, in which case I'd like to apologise.

GodShapedBullet wrote:Do you think the No Punch Back rule was put in place to teach children the wisdom of not perpetuating cycles of violence?

I'd say/hope that the entire GAME has that teaching. (That is a horrible phrasing.)
I feel diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

1=0

Postby 1=0 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:31 pm UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:Those of us fortunate enough to grow up in New Jersey, with the world's best pizza.

You guys, please... the best pizza come from the Neaples area... full stop. Actually all those US pizza things should be forbidden by the Geneva Convention (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geneva_Convention). And pineapple should be banned from pizzas by the FDA.
I feel diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Jamaican Castle

Postby Jamaican Castle » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:43 pm UTC

Daniel wrote:The "no punch back" rule is flawed, in that I can just deal out punches to whoever tried it, without needing a motivation.

"This isn't a punch-back, it's preemptive retaliation for next time."

nightwing2024

Postby nightwing2024 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:53 pm UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:Interesting idea, but wouldn't you be the one driving? I can't see this really working unless you're both in the backseat. If you're winning, you'd be distracted, and if you're losing, how exactly do you take your clothes off while driving?

(So many quotes. :P)

Winning means that I simply have to adjust my rearview. Also, a rule added for the driver's sake, that you must remain in the various states of undress until the driver gets a good look. And if I lose (rarely, but it happens, I'm a very alert driver, sort of like a squirrel on speed with predators abound, my eyes and head shifting constantly to attempt to spot possible danger) I'm pro at removing clothing extremely quickly, and I've never lost enough to have to remove my pants...but that would be an interesting conundrum...

but anyway, I've only ever had two girls lose completely. But considering the fact that I normally have multiple people in my car, as long as I'm not last, someone else strips. So it's often that there will be 2 or three people missing shirts. Most rides aren't long enough for serious nudity, though.
Nightwing - Renders sexual innuendo obsolete.

StClair

Postby StClair » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:04 pm UTC

For what it's worth, 1=0, I think you're absolutely right.

Except for the pizza thing. But then, I'm West Coast. If you need to fold your pizza in half to eat it (heck, if you can), it's not thick enough.

Starsky

Postby Starsky » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:07 pm UTC

Bumnut wrote:I'm finding it harder to believe that Randal doesn't write comic based on the forum discussion about the previous comic.

But someone still needs to come right out and say it....

You are playing the game! No saying-you-aren't backs.

Zrana

Postby Zrana » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:17 pm UTC

It's always been Slug Bug for me in the great lakes area. Sometimes a color is tagged on to the end, but the important thing is that someone gets hit for each VW bug that is seen.

When I hit highschool, a ride with my friend and her youngest sister introduced me to "SpongeBob!" which is apparently another name for the Yellow Car game.

Thus a yellow bug was worth 2 hits. This could have been devasting later on in college when the parking garage often had 3 of the new yellow bugs parked in eyesight of one another. And we didn't ban the new bugs--why limit our ammo?

When I worked with a friend at the local 7-11, he'd constantly get me with the bugs that passed by. But, having watched a particular episode of Rosanne when I was younger, I'd also get one good hit in by default. "CADILLAC WHACK!" Guess what his car was? He developed a great disdain for that game...

I think I missed out on the PTCruiser game. ;_; I suck with telling cars apart, but thats one I'd actually be able to do! But they didn't start popping up to what I could notice until I'd mostly grown out of the Slug Bug game.

StClair

Postby StClair » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:56 pm UTC

Starsky wrote:But someone still needs to come right out and say it....

Another false assertion, IMO.
You are playing the game! No saying-you-aren't backs.

Now, see, this is the sort of thing that makes me want to punch the people who came up with and try to pass along this meme. For real.

And I don't consider myself a violent person. I just have a low tolerance for people who take advantage of the internet to do/say things that would get them slapped in real life. (Which, IMO, includes everyone on this board who admires or identifies with the "classhole" character.)

Guff

Postby Guff » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:32 pm UTC

This would have been funnier if it wasn't how I lost my last girlfriend. :(

sexybobo

Postby sexybobo » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:59 pm UTC

When ever some one would start playing slug bug I always started playing ford. Same game just you get to hit them every time you see a ford.

krynd

Postby krynd » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:44 pm UTC

ModerateClasshole wrote:
Legrow wrote:I never understood why someone would expect me to accept their rules right after they'd punched me.

Most people call it by a different name round these parts: EULA. :roll:

sig'd
Dangermouse wrote:I hope this doesn't mirror too much of what you've read--and btw, you should read less and do more. No one takes good pictures or runs a marathon sitting on their couch surfing the internet.

WCG xkcd team

Wilfredo

Postby Wilfredo » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:28 am UTC

this is my first post...

this reminded me of a game me and my friends play. We call it tweeter, and just yell it when we spot a yellow vehicle. You get points depending on how rare the yellow vehicle is (helicopter, train, bus, car, etc.). Ambulances and school buses don't count, cuz they're "government-run". Fat, old ladies in yellow jackets count als. :D

soccerray

Postby soccerray » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:35 am UTC

punchbuggy, pt cruiser bruiser, victim looking at your hand when you hold it below waist making a ring shape with index finger and thumb, etc

mlaboss

Postby mlaboss » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:29 am UTC

Who comes up with these games anyways? Someone, at some point, must have decided it would be fun to hit people whenever they saw a VW bug.

Rysto

Postby Rysto » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:00 am UTC

mlaboss wrote:Who comes up with these games anyways? Someone, at some point, must have decided it would be fun to hit people

If you had stopped there you would have been more correct, I think.

StClair

Postby StClair » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:31 am UTC

Seconded.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:58 am UTC

And then he makes up an excuse to do so... It makes perfect sense. Except for the whole "Look! A VW Beetle! That means I can punch you without fear of retaliation!" part.
多么现在棕色母牛?

DannyboyO1

Postby DannyboyO1 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:27 pm UTC

"Without fear of retaliation" never really worked well with me. I'd usually grab an appendage, lean, and twist. It's surprisingly easy to leverage someone into having an arm behind their back or some similar position of discomfort. "So, then, this would not be, as you say, a "punch back", do you think?" And then just a bit more pressure. "Do you wish to continue this?" And after the only logical answer, a quick release.

Only really came up the once. The other times, I was not assumed to be playing. Someone would set out to explain the rules of some such game of reflexes, observation, and pain. And they would respect a polite "No, I will not." And I wouldn't be part of the game. Of course, hitting 6' was likely a contributing factor towards the politeness of my schoolmates.
There is no signature that still seems witty 50 posts later

Shakleton

Postby Shakleton » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:08 pm UTC

Hi everyone!

I read that comic today (returning from a trip with my class from school) and I burst out laughing. :D It's really great. And I would have loved to use these in Real life but unfortunately, we don't have that game over here in Germany. (Although this is the country where the Volkswagen originaly comes from. That irony is so effing sickening! :x ) We had a time, about three or four years ago when anybody could punch you if there was a Renault Twingo around but that rule never survived more than a month.
Anyway, I love this comic. Every single strip of it.

Greets
mikekearn wrote:You even have an appropriate shirt. Excellent.

Kartoffelkopf

Postby Kartoffelkopf » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:18 am UTC

We've used both 'slug bug' and 'punch buggy], although we have a 'truce' now where we don't do it, because it got stupid.

Also, the 'old VW buses' initiate a 'slap van'. :P

My little brother has a thing now, I don't know how it starts but supposedly he says 'doorknobs' and is allowed to keep punching you until you touch a doorknob or something. These games are weird...

überRegenbogen

Postby überRegenbogen » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:11 pm UTC

Slug Bug (the version that i first knew in Michigan) at least has a nice cadence to it.
Punch Bug (the version that i later encountered in Alabama) sounds clumsy.
Punch Buggy sounds dorky.

I've always found the game stupid and annoying—especially as a long-time VW driver (and childhood passenger). (I've also (successfully) claimed exempt status on those grounds.)

Crusier Bruiser? I couldn't play that even if i wanted to, as i do my best to block the hideous things out of my mind.

Truck Fuck? I'm in!!! :D

We did have a game wherein, if one of us ripped one, and failed to say safety, another would punch them in the arm, exclaiming "Chisel, bitch!". (How this phrase was chosen remains a mystery.)

akirjazi wrote:
rwald wrote:If [Randall] can respond to us without our involvement, have a complete conversation instantaneously without our actual input, this means that his mental model of us is sufficiently accurate to represent all our important properties. [...]

It wouldn't work, he would have to know the exact quantum state of every particle in our bodies so that his mind could render an exact simulation of us. Nothing less would do the trick.

Elaine could do it.

Viking67 wrote:MY HOBBY: Punching people and then saying "Just kidding!"
You'd be surprised how often you get away with it.

[gut-kick] "No problem." ;)

Pizza? Vitale's in Grand Rapids :D~
(which i haven't had in about 15 years). :(
What were you doing at 0x4655434B?

netsplit
Location: Z̈̓̾̾̀̉ͬ̅ͯͪͬ̚͢͏̴̝̝̩̳͙͘a̷̧̰̥̯͎͍͍̻̮͔̭̰̗̺̩̐̀͛͐ͥ͐ͨ͆̀̉̐̌̅͑ͣ͟ͅľ̸̠̟̭̲̜̹̗͎͍̗̤͖̤͕̣̝̀̊̑ͯͬ͌̍ͬ͂ͤ͛̀̚g̍̅́ͮ̌̏ͣ́̀͏͍

Postby netsplit » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:19 pm UTC

I remember in middle school we played a game called "open chest". Basically if you crossed your arms over your chest you were safe, if you didn't someone would punch you in the chest while saying "open chest".

It was a very popular game with the ladies you can be sure.

This post had objectionable content.
from da craddle to da grave, geek life 4 eva
better show hardcore respect ya'll

JayDee wrote:"What is the difference between erotic and kinky? Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole Dinosaur."

netsplit
Location: Z̈̓̾̾̀̉ͬ̅ͯͪͬ̚͢͏̴̝̝̩̳͙͘a̷̧̰̥̯͎͍͍̻̮͔̭̰̗̺̩̐̀͛͐ͥ͐ͨ͆̀̉̐̌̅͑ͣ͟ͅľ̸̠̟̭̲̜̹̗͎͍̗̤͖̤͕̣̝̀̊̑ͯͬ͌̍ͬ͂ͤ͛̀̚g̍̅́ͮ̌̏ͣ́̀͏͍

Postby netsplit » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:29 am UTC

netsplit wrote:This post had objectionable content.

haha no modsies either:p
from da craddle to da grave, geek life 4 eva
better show hardcore respect ya'll

JayDee wrote:"What is the difference between erotic and kinky? Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole Dinosaur."

nescalona

Postby nescalona » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:28 am UTC

rwald wrote:Which leads to the natural question: do we really exist, or are we just extrapolations of Randall's mind? If he can respond to us without our involvement, have a complete conversation instantaneously without our actual input, this means that his mental model of us is sufficiently accurate to represent all our important properties. If we are no different from what he thinks we are, can we be said to exist independently of him?

BS, reality is independent of perception.

[quote="akirjazi"It wouldn't work, he would have to know the exact quantum state of every particle in our bodies so that his mind could render an exact simulation of us.[/quote]

Would you also need to know the relative positions of each particle? I'm not up on quantum mechanics, but this probably gets into the whole locality debate.

Izzhov

Postby Izzhov » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:39 am UTC

nescalona wrote:BS, reality is independent of perception.

Is there any kind of reasoning behind this statement?

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:24 pm UTC

Izzhov wrote:

I can't answer the question for him/her, but I can answer it for myself: "Independent of perception" is my exact definition of reality.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

That_one_guy
Location: Denton, Texas, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe #24

Postby That_one_guy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:42 pm UTC

Oh man, I remember playing this (slug bug) with my sister, and we would come up with the craziest things to avoid the 'No Punchbacks' Rule.

1. Slug Bug Yellow, NPB! *BAM!*
2. Punch buggy yellow! NPB! *BAM!*
3. Yellow car slappy time, NSB! *BAM!*
Etc.
Стюарт's My name, Перевод вещей, используя Google's my game.

GENERATION 41i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Izzhov

Postby Izzhov » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:19 am UTC

rrwoods wrote:
Izzhov wrote:

I can't answer the question for him/her, but I can answer it for myself: "Independent of perception" is my exact definition of reality.

That makes sense, but in that case it doesn't really apply to the original quote to which nescalona was responding. :/

Markavian

Postby Markavian » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:55 am UTC

malenkylizards wrote:"Subjects have changed topic from fruit to childhood games. Searching database for games...Program "Punch Buggy" located and compiled. Randomly selecting standard "sleeping with your girlfriend/mother/sister" joke. "Sleeping With Your Girlfriend" joke...inserted. Webcomic...posted. Morality core...incinerated. Deadly neurotoxin...prepared. Soon there will be cake."

I doubt its existence, but such a system needs to built and tested. It will be the demise of internet comics everywhere. BuwhahahahahHahaha. ...

makc

Postby makc » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:04 pm UTC

<offtopc>this
space_raptor wrote:...Aggh" (that's the sound of getting a flurry to the solar plexus, which is what would happen if some random dude punched me)...
is the only mention of solar plexus I can find around. aint that comic got its own thread yet?

any way, just wanned to say solar plexus is a bit lower than that.</offtopic>

überRegenbogen

Postby überRegenbogen » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:24 pm UTC

makc wrote:just wanned to say solar plexus is a bit lower than that.</offtopic>

Apparently i'm not the only late poster from hell. ;P
I agree though; should be about mid-torso (or central vertical line, in this case).
What were you doing at 0x4655434B?

Robstickle

Postby Robstickle » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:21 am UTC

"not playing *punch* no returns" was always my response.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”