0392: "Making Rules"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Legrow

0392: "Making Rules"

Postby Legrow » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:07 am UTC

http://www.xkcd.com/392/

Alt Text: I never understood why someone would expect me to accept their rules right after they'd punched me. I'm sure it's all very symbolic or something.

I never understood why someone thought they had the right to object to my rules only after I enforced them. HAH! STICK THAT IN YOUR LOGIC PIPE AND SMOKE IT!

benjhuey

Re: Making Rules

Postby benjhuey » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:08 am UTC

Man, I hate those stupid rules.
多么现在棕色母牛?

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:09 am UTC

I have to agree with this. "Pinch, punch, first of the month, no returns" irritated me for ages, until I discovered that smart people got around it with "a flick and a kick for being so quick" :)
Last edited by Robin S on Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

Herman

Postby Herman » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:10 am UTC

I never understood why someone would expect me to accept their rules right after they'd punched me.

You kidding? That's when rules are most likely to be accepted. My primate-ware says that if someone punched me, they're probably better than me.

Man, I have to get that upgraded.
Last edited by Herman on Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:10 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Contrabass

Postby Contrabass » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:10 am UTC

And that wasn't even a convertible... :shock:

CovilleR

Postby CovilleR » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:10 am UTC

Man, I hate those stupid cars.

UserGoogol

Postby UserGoogol » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:14 am UTC

Contrabass wrote:And that wasn't even a convertible... :shock:

I don't think you understand how punch bugs work. Punch bug refers to the Volkswagen Bug, that is, if a Volkswagen Beetle drives past you while you are next to a peer, you can punch them. What the hell would convertibles be justifiable?

Droffats

Postby Droffats » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:15 am UTC

But stupid rules is what makes Calvinball so much fun!
"I'm glad you took the time to come all the way out here... but 'seal of approval' isn't an actual position." - TPD

Contrabass

Postby Contrabass » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:17 am UTC

UserGoogol wrote:
Contrabass wrote:And that wasn't even a convertible... :shock:

I don't think you understand how punch bugs work. Punch bug refers to the Volkswagen Bug, that is, if a Volkswagen Beetle drives past you while you are next to a peer, you can punch them. What the hell would convertibles be justifiable?

Convertible bugs are good for two punches.

taptap
I laughed so hard i fell out of my concubine

Postby taptap » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:18 am UTC

YES. :lol:

This will be the new reason I do anything out of the ordinary!

"BURNT-OUT HEADLIGHT GRAPEFRUIT TO THE FACE! NO GRAPEFRUIT TO THE FACE BACK!"
Last edited by taptap on Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:37 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Davean wrote:Only the bots can see the entire forum the mods have dedicated to bashing taptap for asking questions with obvious answers. It should look good when his next interviewer Googles him before the interview.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:19 am UTC

I hate this game and the "jinx" one. Who says I can't talk? Now I just plead the First. Take that, you stupid forth graders!
多么现在棕色母牛?

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:20 am UTC

I had someone slug me back even though they hadn't even seen the car

therocket

Postby therocket » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:21 am UTC

Am I the only one who's heard it referred to as "slug bug"?

Mulch

Postby Mulch » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:24 am UTC

On long drives on summer camping trips, my sister used to do something similar. "Slug bug!" punch to the shoulder. The first time I was annoyed. The second time, I formed a plan. The third time she did "Slug bug!" punch, I responded with "Car!" punch, "Car!" punch, and so on for a while. My game gave me lots more ammo. She gave up soon afterwards except now and then when her memory lapsed.

I don't think I really got into the spirit of her game, plus that was the age where punching your sister at evey opportunity was required by some law of nature.

Viking67

Postby Viking67 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:25 am UTC

MY HOBBY:
Punching people and then saying "Just kidding!"

You'd be surprised how often you get away with it.

therocket wrote:Am I the only one who's heard it referred to as "slug bug"?

Nah, that's what it is where I live.

e946

Postby e946 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:25 am UTC

Who the hell calls it punchbuggy? I've always heard it as slugbug.

Bumnut

Postby Bumnut » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:28 am UTC

I'm finding it harder to believe that Randal doesn't write comic based on the forum discussion about the previous comic.

On another note, I used to often use "pinch and a punch because I'm an arsehole" when I wore a younger man's clothes.

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:31 am UTC

Bumnut wrote:I'm finding it harder to believe that Randal doesn't write comic based on the forum discussion about the previous comic.

On another note, I used to often use "pinch and a punch because I'm an arsehole" when I wore a younger man's clothes.

Does that mean he reads the forum discussion? Oh no!

Mr. Munroe, I'm sorry I was mean about some of your comics! I just think you are capable of a lot that is why I am so critical. Also I didn't think The Game was over. But mostly because of the "thinking you are capable of a lot" thing.
Last edited by GodShapedBullet on Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:35 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:33 am UTC

e946 wrote:Who the hell calls it punchbuggy? I've always heard it as slugbug.

Same here.

And it's an accepted rule that you can't hit back.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:35 am UTC

Shadic wrote:

Same here.

And it's an accepted rule that you can't hit back.

Unless, of course, you graduated from elementary school.
多么现在棕色母牛?

Perfect Illusion

Postby Perfect Illusion » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:37 am UTC

I was totally thinking of this yesterday after seeing a yellow punch buggy. I also came to the conclusion that the new ones don't count. They just don't have the rule-making authorization unit installed within them. Not there. I checked.

OmenPigeon
Peddler of Gossamer Lies

Postby OmenPigeon » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:39 am UTC

Bumnut wrote:On another note, I used to often use "pinch and a punch because I'm an arsehole" when I wore a younger man's clothes.

I don't know how they do things where you come from, but around here it is considered polite to wear your own clothes, thank you very much. Just because someone is younger than you doesn't mean you can take their things.

Also, it's definitely punch buggy. Slug bug is the wrong thing to say.
As long as I am alive and well I will continue to feel strongly about prose style, to love the surface of the earth, and to take pleasure in scraps of useless information.
~ George Orwell

zenten

Postby zenten » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:41 am UTC

benjhuey wrote:I hate this game and the "jinx" one. Who says I can't talk? Now I just plead the First. Take that, you stupid forth graders!

But then how will I get beer?

LordOtori

Postby LordOtori » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:41 am UTC

WIN.

I love punch buggy. Right after we saw the movie "bulletproof monk" me and my brother punched each other all the way home because 'If we truly believed the punch buggy was there, it was there.'

Stickfodder
Location: it changes according to my mood i could be here i could be two inches to the left

Postby Stickfodder » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:44 am UTC

Yeah i have rules too you hit me i hit you back unless your having a seizure or it was a tourettes tic or something otherwise your fucked
Last edited by Stickfodder on Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Creepy? Creepy how?

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:44 am UTC

Do you think the No Punch Back rule was put in place to teach children the wisdom of not perpetuating cycles of violence?

I wonder if there is any correlation between youth violence and Volkswagen Beetle distribution.

Eskay Diasz

Postby Eskay Diasz » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:45 am UTC

I hated that 'game' when I was younger. My sister used it as an excuse to beat me up. .-.
Belial wrote:
EMTP wrote:There's a reason Cain asked if he was his brother's keeper.

So what you're saying is that vaniver has killed the entire lower class, and is now trying to act surly to deflect the suspicions of his omnipotent creator?

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:58 am UTC

There's been a thread on Column 8 for the last week or so on the exact legality of the "no returns" clause on first-of-the-month pinching and punching.

It's been quite enlightening.

However, "Sleep with your girlfriend buggy" sounds like a much more fun game.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Alabran

Postby Alabran » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:04 am UTC

The Sleep With Your Girlfriend Buggy is unfortunately woefully rare.

oomps62

Postby oomps62 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:05 am UTC

Droffats wrote:But stupid rules is what makes Calvinball so much fun!

Best comment ever. Ok, well, not ever, but on this thread. Were you beginning to feel as though your reference was wasted on everybody else? I get so disappointed when that happens :(

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:09 am UTC

Those of us fortunate enough to grow up in New Jersey, with the world's best pizza.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Disa

Postby Disa » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:14 am UTC

I always heard it as Slug Bug as well, even though I tried to avoid being the target of such games as a kid. I had enough trouble worrying about attacks not justified by the passage of vehicles.

top1214

Postby top1214 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:23 am UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:

Those of us fortunate enough to grow up in New Jersey, with the world's best pizza.

Although New Jersey style originates on a far better planet than St. Louis style, New Haven pizza trumps all. Sally's and Pepe's have been featured on Travel & Food channel specials, well deserved. But thank you Ferraro's Jersey Style Pizza (actual name) for giving me one good option in a sea of Imo's. For those of you fortunate enough not have tried StL style pizza, it's defining characteristic is provel cheese, the unholy spawn of provolone and Swiss. It is a nuclear shade of orange, and tastes like cardboard, and is unfit for human consumption (for topical use only) but they put in on pizza (and other things). Only people born in St. Louis can palate it, and not even all of them. I was ambushed with this on my 1st night out here, and never again.

On another note, does anyone else think that you must be wearing a black hat to execute a Girlfriend Buggy?

DSDM

Postby DSDM » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:31 am UTC

What the hell is this stupid-ass "punch buggy" and then the color crap? Lame. While you're halfway through saying "punch buggy yellow" I will have already said "slug bug" and cold-cocked your stupidly-named-game-playing ass. Much more expedient. Some one says "buggy" and I think of a mode of transportation most commonly utilized today by the Amish.
Is that some sort of regional thing, like calling soda "pop" or "soda water" or worse, "soda pop?"

And what's the deal with the color? Are there different penalties for different colors? Or do you just have to say the color before you can hit someone? What if there's a difference of opinion as to the color of the car? Like suppose they say "Punch Buggy Maroon!", and hit you, but you really feel it was more of a burgundy color rather than maroon? Do you get to punch them back for getting the color wrong, or do you have to fire back with "Punch Buggy Burgundy!" first? That's another good point about "Slug Bug." Simplicity. You can simply say it, punch them, and move on without worrying over such legal quandaries. Such petty refereeing can only lead to bickering and progressive retaliation until it reaches the point where Mom just whips the minivan across three lanes of traffic to the side of the road and reaches into the back seat and smacks the shit out of all of you.

And the "No punch backs" rule is really more of a guideline that mostly applies to punchees that are considerably smaller than the puncher.

GusPatsy
sex, lol!

Postby GusPatsy » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:34 am UTC

"Shoot, I'm sorry, I somehow confused your light-hearted game for being physically assaulted and I accidentally punched back."
That usually works, and if they do it again, you just yell rape until someone comes to help you.
Alisto wrote:
GusPatsy wrote:I would like a title that references something I don't get, and would take hours to figure out, eventually leaving me disappointed.

"Sex"

Barack_Obama

Postby Barack_Obama » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:36 am UTC

Anyone else ever play the "Sex Credit Game"?

If you saw a light on a car burnt out, you got one. If you went through a yellow light, you got one. If you went through a red light, you got two.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:37 am UTC

taptap wrote:YES. :lol:

This will be the new reason I do anything out of the ordinary!

"BURNT-OUT HEADLIGHT GRAPEFRUIT TO THE FACE! NO GRAPEFRUIT TO THE FACE BACK!"

Sig'd

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:38 am UTC

CovilleR wrote:Man, I hate those stupid cars.

my dream: an acid greed VW beetle, lowrider, with 22" spinners. The coolest albeit most fucked up vehicle on earth!
22/♂/hetero/atheist/★☭/Image

Originator of the DIY ASL tags

top1214

Postby top1214 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:39 am UTC

DSDM wrote:And what's the deal with the color? Are there different penalties for different colors? Or do you just have to say the color before you can hit someone? What if there's a difference of opinion as to the color of the car? Like suppose they say "Punch Buggy Maroon!", and hit you, but you really feel it was more of a burgundy color rather than maroon? Do you get to punch them back for getting the color wrong, or do you have to fire back with "Punch Buggy Burgundy!" first?

Colors (and punch buggy) are for the Northeast, where you are more likely to see them, and thus likely to see more than one at once. When observing 2+ punch buggies, color become important to denote which one has the "no punch back" associated with it. I.e., if there is both a red and a blue punch buggy on the highway, I can get 2 punches in by saying, "Punch buggy red no hit backs! Punch buggy blue no hit backs!" (although the usual will be 1 and 1)

rwald

Postby rwald » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:43 am UTC

Bumnut wrote:I'm finding it harder to believe that Randal doesn't write comic based on the forum discussion about the previous comic.

To be fair, one wouldn't have needed to read the previous comic's forum discussion to know that today's comic is an appropriate reply to it; just by posting a comic referencing The Game, Randall could easily derive what the first five pages of commentary would be, and therefore respond to them without actually observing them.

Which leads to the natural question: do we really exist, or are we just extrapolations of Randall's mind? If he can respond to us without our involvement, have a complete conversation instantaneously without our actual input, this means that his mental model of us is sufficiently accurate to represent all our important properties. If we are no different from what he thinks we are, can we be said to exist independently of him?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”