0366: "Your Mom"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

theyellowhobbit

Re: Discussion about Your Mom

Postby theyellowhobbit » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:54 am UTC

ponzerelli wrote:i've decided to refrain from using "your mom" jokes for awhile, the last time i used it did not work out so well. i always insulted this guy in my class, and tended to use "you mom" jokes alot on him, but then a couple months back his mom had a heart attack and died and I was nice to him for awhile. A couple weeks later though, he walked in on a conversation between another friend of mine and I where we had been using "your mom" jokes continuously, so I answered him with "Your mom likes NASCAR (he had just asked us something about it) :P.... :shock: ....dude....I'm so sorry..."

The last time I used your mom, it did not work out so well either.

[At least that's what she said.]
aleflamedyud wrote:I think you just made my "Impossible-But-Awesome-O-Meter" blow up.

netsplit
Location: Z̈̓̾̾̀̉ͬ̅ͯͪͬ̚͢͏̴̝̝̩̳͙͘a̷̧̰̥̯͎͍͍̻̮͔̭̰̗̺̩̐̀͛͐ͥ͐ͨ͆̀̉̐̌̅͑ͣ͟ͅľ̸̠̟̭̲̜̹̗͎͍̗̤͖̤͕̣̝̀̊̑ͯͬ͌̍ͬ͂ͤ͛̀̚g̍̅́ͮ̌̏ͣ́̀͏͍

Postby netsplit » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:16 am UTC

theyellowhobbit wrote:The last time I used your mom, it did not work out so well either.

neither did that time my mom used your mom.
from da craddle to da grave, geek life 4 eva
better show hardcore respect ya'll

JayDee wrote:"What is the difference between erotic and kinky? Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole Dinosaur."

Melkarion

Postby Melkarion » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:37 pm UTC

netsplit wrote:
theyellowhobbit wrote:The last time I used your mom, it did not work out so well either.

The last time your mom used me, on the other hand, went quite well...
"... for a man to understand what he himself says is one thing, and to understand himself in what is said is something else." -Soren K.

An ironic motto of sorts:
The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit. -W. Somerset Maugham.

batkatt

Postby batkatt » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:22 pm UTC

Last night while I was playing WoW with my guy friend, guy friend decided to quote something and call me a "motha licker"

My response? "That takes on a very interesting connotation considering who we're grouped with." Guess who we were playing with. Yes, that's right, your, er, I mean, HIS mom.

my guy friend's mom is cool. lol.

Chacor

Postby Chacor » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:10 pm UTC

So, anyone have any good theories why "Your Dad" just doesn't fly?

Ari

Postby Ari » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:26 pm UTC

Chacor wrote:So, anyone have any good theories why "Your Dad" just doesn't fly?

That'd be kinda funny to use on homophobic people. :) I guess mostly because a lot of the "Your Mom!" jokes are made by guys, who may not be comfortable with the homosexual connotations of "Your Dad!".

It's also possibly because there's less of a tendancy towards badinage among girls, (not that they don't do it) but when they do insult each other, it's usually aimed directly at the girl in question, rather than trying to gross her out somehow.
"Hey %*&^er, offensive communication works fine so long as you do it respectfully." :D
"I am so quoting that out of context at a later date."

theyellowhobbit

Postby theyellowhobbit » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:29 pm UTC

Actually there was a friend of mine who was studying a certain section of Talmud (a huge collection of Jewish legal texts) where they were talking about tithes, and what an early or a late harvest was. At one point the text asks:

Q: What is a late harvest?
A: Your father's fields!

That's an over 1800 year old "your dad" joke!
aleflamedyud wrote:I think you just made my "Impossible-But-Awesome-O-Meter" blow up.

Melkarion

Postby Melkarion » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:27 pm UTC

Possibly because matrilineal relationships are easier to trace, and more likely to apply to, and insult, a wide base of opponents. Anyway, people who trace the contest to the older "Dozens" insult competition might find that plausible, especially for more transparently insulting instances. I, personally, think there's a bit more to it.

First, consider that "Your MOM [something or other]" is one of certain phrases almost garunteed to have risque implications, whatever it is that she did. Another example would be "I'd [verb] her [noun] any time she wants." It works for even such mundane things as carrying groceries, an activity which I find it hard to put *any* subtext to in real life. The suggestion, then, seems to be purely in the grammatical structure of the statement itself.

Traditionally, and I seem to recall there's good evidence this game has roots so far back that Tradition Was Law, women are considered more passive, especially in ::ahem:: certain regards. We also tend to speak in active phrases rather than passive ones, or so my English teachers through the years would have me believe, so there could be the added element of a comedic inversion in which "your mom" is behaving somehow uncharacteristically "aggressive" simply because the emphasis is placed on her being one who acts. Continuing, this has a variety of implications about her personality, ranging from derogatory to titilating. ("You [action(ed)]." "Yeah, well, your MOM [action(ed), possibly last night, by implication with myself].) So, we're led to believe, your mom is somehow less than ladylike, and the speaker is reaping all the benefits.

The "that's what she said" bit is, in some instances, almost the exact opposite, implying that she is *reacting* to something just as the person being quipped at has reacted to a recent turn in conversation, thus placing that speaker in a passive role.

If that seems a bit of a stretch, consider that the other, more explicit implementation of "that's what she said" usually implies a specific deficiency, which the titular "she" is forced to suggest a means to overcome. ("Maybe you ought to [proposed solution]." "That's what she said.") Still an implied passivity, and what humor seems to have been inherent in the joke before it became sheerly ridiculous comes again from inverting that assumption. An inversion very nearly complementary to "your mom," if my theory is to be believed.

I dredge all this up since, in my experience, the two phrases are almost always linked. Bring up one, and the others is *much* more likely to follow, and the usage of "that's what she said" has a fairly strong influence on what "your mom" did. It could be only because both are largely defanged, mildly sexual insults, and thus "edgy" enough to add a nervous overtone to a simple joking insult. Even given that possibility, it's clear to me that both of the usual implications of "what she said" are highly suggestive with regard to "your mom's" popularity and the relative scarcity of "your dad."
"... for a man to understand what he himself says is one thing, and to understand himself in what is said is something else." -Soren K.

An ironic motto of sorts:

The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit. -W. Somerset Maugham.

Annie

Postby Annie » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:51 pm UTC

I always thought "your mom" was popular since there's the comparable alternative "your daddy," or "who's your daddy?"

That said, my sister and I have a 5-year-running game of pulling your mom jokes at the dinner table (... yeah, our poor mom). I'll try and spring a your dad joke tonight!

Chef Brian

Postby Chef Brian » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:54 pm UTC

batkatt wrote:Last night while I was playing WoW with my guy friend, guy friend decided to quote something and call me a "motha licker"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_hMnT44Etk

0:50

Lanjolo

Postby Lanjolo » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:02 pm UTC

Melkarion wrote:The "that's what she said" bit is, in some instances, almost the exact opposite, implying that she is *reacting* to something just as the person being quipped at has reacted to a recent turn in conversation, thus placing that speaker in a passive role.

Your mum placed me in a passive role last night!
Live forever or die trying.

TappingTheLine

Postby TappingTheLine » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:01 pm UTC

There is a certain... art, if you will, to the proper usage of "That's what she said." My friend Cydney has mastered this art. She has the best usage of it (other than mine) I have witnessed. The statement in question?

"I need some more tape."

I, however, have been working diligently on perfecting it since late November, and I have gotten these gems to respond to:

"Now, what did I just do with that knife?"

"Two great tastes that taste great together!"

And my personal best,

"I mean, I like the smell but I don't really like the taste."

After I responded to that last one, my friend said, "Well played."

I don't care for your mom jokes as much. I don't find them nearly as funny as your mom. She was telling me the best dirty jokes at 3AM last night.
"My parties are clothing optional, if you are offended by casual nudity I'm not entirely sure how you manage to get along with me...." -chaosreigns.com/quotes

Kiirani

Postby Kiirani » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:59 am UTC

Melkarion wrote:(...) Even given that possibility, it's clear to me that both of the usual implications of "what she said" are highly suggestive with regard to "your mom's" popularity and the relative scarcity of "your dad."

Haha, brilliant!

TappingTheLine

Postby TappingTheLine » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:41 am UTC

What I'm trying to get into the perfect form is something like, "That's what your ex said about you last night." / "Your ex said you say that a lot." As in,

*talking about guitars*
"Man, I can never get the fingering right for this."
"That's what your ex said about you last night."

*talking about math problems*
"I never know how to do this so it comes out the way it's supposed to."
"Your ex said you say that a lot."

I don't know what form to put that in, though, which I suppose is part of the difficulty. I can't just say, "That's what your ex said." Maybe something like, "That's why your ex prefers me" or... I dunno. I need to keep trying to make it work and then I will unleash it upon the world.

Ideas, anybody?
"My parties are clothing optional, if you are offended by casual nudity I'm not entirely sure how you manage to get along with me...." -chaosreigns.com/quotes

Bingo Little

Postby Bingo Little » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:32 pm UTC

I am 100% guilty of this and was yelled at for a 'that's what she said' at some vastly inappropriate moment on the day the comic actually came out.

I showed it to my friend who had got frustrated, he burst out laughnig and jsut said 'that is so you.' Plus, I turned him into an XKCD fan.

Kiirani

Postby Kiirani » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:49 pm UTC

TappingTheLine wrote:What I'm trying to get into the perfect form is something like, "That's what your ex said about you last night." / "Your ex said you say that a lot." As in,

*talking about guitars*

I don't know what form to put that in, though, which I suppose is part of the difficulty. I can't just say, "That's what your ex said." Maybe something like, "That's why your ex prefers me" or... I dunno. I need to keep trying to make it work and then I will unleash it upon the world.

Ideas, anybody?

I would probably go with "That's what she said.
About you.
Last night."

Pawn

Postby Pawn » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:25 pm UTC

TappingTheLine wrote:What I'm trying to get into the perfect form is something like, "That's what your ex said about you last night." / "Your ex said you say that a lot." As in,

*talking about guitars*

Ideas, anybody?

I think "That's why your ex prefers me" is the good concept, but it needs shortening. 'Your mom' and 'That's what she said' are both short and sweet.

(Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)
"That's what she said" = 4 syllables
"Your mom" = 2 syllables
"That's why your ex prefers me" = 7 syllables

So we need to whittle it down to 5 or less syllables...

Kiirani

Postby Kiirani » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:41 am UTC

Pawn wrote:I think "That's why your ex prefers me" is the good concept, but it needs shortening. 'Your mom' and 'That's what she said' are both short and sweet.

(Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)
"That's what she said" = 4 syllables
"Your mom" = 2 syllables
"That's why your ex prefers me" = 7 syllables

So we need to whittle it down to 5 or less syllables...

"Your ex says that a lot" is six, but 'a lot' tends to be said fairly fast.
Otherwise, "Your ex said that" is 4, short and sweet, but I don't think it carries the implication well enough.

russianspy1234

Postby russianspy1234 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:04 am UTC

well, these jokes are most often said guy to guy. you dont really need a special case of "your ex said that" "thats what she said" covers it well enough, if need be, you can clarify.

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:23 pm UTC

Not to long after this was made I was eating lunch with some people I didn't really know. Another guy and I ended up discussing "your mom" jokes and the complexity of them (also, "that's what she said" joke). In the end, we found some great timings for both of them, more than once. It was great.
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

That_one_guy
Location: Denton, Texas, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe #24

Postby That_one_guy » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:13 pm UTC

anotherangel wrote:last time i made a 'that's what she said' joke, my friend immediately went, "what? who said that? no, tell me!"

she completely missed the point :(

:shock: That was one of the funniest things I've ever read.

Edit:Fix'd
Last edited by That_one_guy on Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Стюарт's My name, Перевод вещей, используя Google's my game.

GENERATION 41i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

That_one_guy
Location: Denton, Texas, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe #24

Postby That_one_guy » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:21 pm UTC

I looked on Wikipedia for Your Mom and
That's what she said.

Boring. :|
Стюарт's My name, Перевод вещей, используя Google's my game.

GENERATION 41i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

netsplit
Location: Z̈̓̾̾̀̉ͬ̅ͯͪͬ̚͢͏̴̝̝̩̳͙͘a̷̧̰̥̯͎͍͍̻̮͔̭̰̗̺̩̐̀͛͐ͥ͐ͨ͆̀̉̐̌̅͑ͣ͟ͅľ̸̠̟̭̲̜̹̗͎͍̗̤͖̤͕̣̝̀̊̑ͯͬ͌̍ͬ͂ͤ͛̀̚g̍̅́ͮ̌̏ͣ́̀͏͍

Postby netsplit » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:33 am UTC

Melkarion wrote:
netsplit wrote:

That's what she said!

she, being your mom. ewwww

JayDee wrote:"What is the difference between erotic and kinky? Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole Dinosaur."

syko_lozz

Postby syko_lozz » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:26 am UTC

wow i cant belive that 3 pages have been spent on more goings on about such jokes and no one has mentioned the propensity for xkcd-type people to put jokes like this above relationships...
i have a friend who is single mostly for the reason that he has a complete inability to take anything seriously.

take a long hard look at yourselves people
Debate politics with a fern. If you lose, refuse to water it.

destroyerman

Postby destroyerman » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:35 am UTC

my question is, when did the transition from "yo momma" jokes to "your mom" jokes happen? they're actually pretty different in nature, do you even think they're connected?

yo momma jokes are straight-up insults. "yo momma's so ugly, when she applied for the ugly contest they told her 'NO Professionals!'"

your mom jokes could actually be compliments. "your mom is totally hot, dude, I'm totally going to bang her. high five!"

thoughts?
destroyerman, destroyerman, does whatever destroyers can

netsplit

Postby netsplit » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:49 pm UTC

syko_lozz wrote:wow i cant belive that 3 pages have been spent on more goings on about such jokes and no one has mentioned the propensity for xkcd-type people to put jokes like this above relationships...
i have a friend who is single mostly for the reason that he has a complete inability to take anything seriously.

take a long hard look at yourselves people

In the spirit of the thread.

I'd rather take a long hard look at your mom.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:15 am UTC

TappingTheLine wrote:I don't know what form to put that in, though, which I suppose is part of the difficulty. I can't just say, "That's what your ex said." Maybe something like, "That's why your ex prefers me" or... I dunno. I need to keep trying to make it work and then I will unleash it upon the world.

Ideas, anybody?

You could try "Or so your ex said." The phrasing is weird enough that it should be obvious you're being humorous (or at least trying to be humorous). And a humorous remark about someone's ex should be read by most minds (male ones, anyway) as a dig against them. Even if, grammatically, it would be a dig against the dude's ex instead of against the dude.

Or maybe I'm just stuck thinking that way after reading 3 pages of "your mom" jokes.

Southwest

Postby Southwest » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:27 am UTC

The problem with "So your ex said" is that "ex" is a hard sound to work into a quick statement. Or so it seems to me. There are just some combinations of sounds, y'know, that don't tend to work cleanly together.

Melkarion wrote:
netsplit wrote:

The last time your mom used the other hand on me went quite well.

I tend to believe there's a bit of an art to properly making good "your mom" and "that's what she said" cracks. For me, it's not as much about the "heheheh, I'm making sexual references" mindset, but the state of paying close attention to words spoken and trying to immediately place them in an alternate context. It's playing with words, and I love doing that.

C'mon, pounce on that one. You know you wanna.

Or that one.

Blak

Postby Blak » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:19 pm UTC

genewitch wrote:I did a comment on a thread here somewhere re: "i got your X right here" series of jokes. I've never been a big fan of 'your mom' mostly cause mine died a while back. but one of my best friends always says "your mother" or "the mother"... then his mom died recently, and about 5 days after he told me... the BEST POSSIBLE SCENARIO for a "YOUR MOM" comeback came up... and i used it. and he went "but... oh i guess i did it to you all those years. haha"

win.

I think the correct thread of conversation for problems with dead moms is something like this:

*generic opening statment*
"Yeah, well, your mom"
"... That's not funny, my mom's dead"
"Ah, so that's why she didn't move around much last night"

hthall

Postby hthall » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:47 pm UTC

Southwest wrote:The problem with "So your ex said" is that "ex" is a hard sound to work into a quick statement. Or so it seems to me. There are just some combinations of sounds, y'know, that don't tend to work cleanly together.

. . .

I think "your ex" packs a much bigger punch if you can replace it with a specific name. The name of your target's current infatuation can also be used to good effect. Something along the line of "Huh. So that's what Jenn was talking about." or "Yeah, that's what Amy keeps telling me."

Or, if you want to cut it down to just four syllables besides the name: "Is that what Chelsea meant?"

The trick is cruel enough that it should be used sparingly. When you mention a name that triggers a priority interrupt in the victim's brain, you always run the risk of being taken seriously, however ridiculous the context.
Look at me, still talking when there's Science to do.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:16 am UTC

hthall wrote:When you mention a name that triggers a priority interrupt in the victim's brain
Ahaha, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks like this.

genewitch wrote:I did a comment on a thread here somewhere re: "i got your X right here" series of jokes.
Those can be nice too. For example, a female cow-orker says to me "I need a Mr. Big." :D
(Mr. Big is a type of chocolate bar, in case anyone didn't know that already.)

Come to think of it some of my best that's-what-she-said/your-mom/etc jokes were in response to things she said. I.e. "I can't see down there... I just stick my hand in and try to grab it." Best though was when we both had absolutely nothing to do, and started a conversation by both asking "bored?" at precisely the same time. That was awesome.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Postby 385 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:19 am UTC

For some reason that reminded me of that episode of Scrubs (I don't know the characters names, forgive me) where one of the female doctors accused her male coworker of turning everything into a double entendre. When she walks out of the room he mutters, "I'd like to double her entendre."
He's trying to lead you down the path of righteousness. I'll lead you down the path that ROCKS! :twisted:

sab39

Postby sab39 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:59 pm UTC

Aleril wrote:
El Senor Fruit Swing wrote:But Torvaun I am not worthy of stroking something so great. But your greatness is undeniable.

That's what she said!

sab39

Postby sab39 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:11 am UTC

http://www.overheardeverywhere.com/archives/002164.html is surprisingly on-topic... perhaps one of the participants is an xkcder?

Postby 385 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:18 am UTC

Where is this from:
A: How are you?
B: That's what she said!
A: ...You're not using that correctly.
A: Better
He's trying to lead you down the path of righteousness. I'll lead you down the path that ROCKS! :twisted:

netsplit

Postby netsplit » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:26 pm UTC

I think this comic broke something in my head.

I just took Firesomething and added "Your Mom's sex" to the list of prefixes.

I am currently posting this with Your Mom's sexplatypus.

syko_lozz

Postby syko_lozz » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:48 am UTC

the mind boggles
Debate politics with a fern. If you lose, refuse to water it.

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:56 am UTC

I"m going to be telling yo mamma jokes 'till I'm 50
"yo mamma's parkisons is so bad when she picks up a glass of milk it reaches her mouth as solid BUTTER"

and instead of "that's what she said" I propose a new varient

"in the navy!"

Deskchair Intellectual

Postby Deskchair Intellectual » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:30 am UTC

Oh me yarm, Randall must be reading your mom's mind, because that's what she said in bed the night before the comic was posted!
14 year old, spends her life reading links of Wikipedia articles and webcomics.

Deskchair Intellectual

Postby Deskchair Intellectual » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:32 am UTC

385 wrote:Where is this from:
A: How are you?
A: ...You're not using that correctly.
A: Better

Oh me yarm
I do that all the time. It's funny.
14 year old, spends her life reading links of Wikipedia articles and webcomics.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”