0349: "Success"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

n3xg3n
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:17 am UTC

Re: "Success" Discussion

Postby n3xg3n » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:27 am UTC

I don't really get this comic, I installed OpenBSD in twenty minutes (granted i messed up the first time round, but all the configs were saved so the second install took about 5 minutes of hitting enter) and I've yet to have a single problem :?

User avatar
lysandra
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:36 am UTC
Contact:

Re: "Success" Discussion

Postby lysandra » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:32 am UTC

nameless wrote:
lysandra wrote:
Wolf wrote:
keithc wrote:
Wolf wrote:At least I haven't gotten eaten yet.


How do you know?


I. . .I'm not sure. *cowers in fear*



How are you online? Did you waterproof your laptop and poke an antenna out the side of the shark?

How do we know that s/he isn't the shark?


Does s/he have an antenna poking out his/her side? Are there strange beeps coming out of his/her stomach when s/he pokes it?

User avatar
TheTankengine
Our Fora-father
Posts: 3328
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:09 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, KY
Contact:

Re: "Success" Discussion

Postby TheTankengine » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:14 am UTC

wing wrote:>>>Fucking Partition Magic (WHY DO PEOPLE LOVE AND *PURCHASE* PARITION FUCKING MAGIC?

I love the fact that you used fucking partition magic AND partition fucking magic in the same sentence. :lol:
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

User avatar
Antimatter Spork
Posts: 679
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:13 am UTC
Location: The third planet from the sun.

Re: "Success" Discussion

Postby Antimatter Spork » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:22 am UTC

I registered to say that this comic accurately describes my adventures trying to fix an old computer over the past week (except for the shark attack part, and I was trying to install XP or Ubuntu, whichever I could get to work (it turned out that the system decided to stop recognizing/booting from the CD drive and nothing worked))
Albert Schweitzer wrote:There are two means of refuge from the misery of life — music and cats.

User avatar
DragonHawk
Posts: 457
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:20 am UTC
Location: NH, US, Earth
Contact:

Re: "Success" Discussion

Postby DragonHawk » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:40 am UTC

wing wrote:WHY DO PEOPLE LOVE AND *PURCHASE* PARITION FUCKING MAGIC?

My guess is legacy reputation. Back about a million years ago (circa 1994), it was the only thing on the planet that could do what it could do. It really was like magic, back then. I still have a bootable DOS floppy with PQMAGIC.EXE version 4.0 on it around somewhere... not that I've used it in years. But back when OS/2 still seemed like a good idea, Partition Magic was da bomb.

These days, of course, most OSes include native partition and filesystem resizing tools. Even Microsoft Windows (with Vista). For those that don't, the Free bootable tools do a fine job, as you note. But a lot of people in the Microsoft world are conditioned on having to pay something for all their software, so they go looking for something to buy. Partition Magic's old reputation is still carrying weight, even though Symantec bought PowerQuest and turned all their products into sh*t.
Ben'); DROP TABLE Users;--

GENERATION 42: The first time you see this, copy it into yοur sig on any forum and stick a fork in yοur еyе. Social experiment.

User avatar
Steve the Pocket
Posts: 697
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:02 am UTC
Location: Going downtuuu in a Luleelurah!

Re: "Success" Discussion

Postby Steve the Pocket » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:47 am UTC

I can relate to this. I can count the number of Linux distros that I've managed to install properly on one hand, and the ones that have worked perfectly thereafter on zero (Ubuntu came close, but I never did get my tablet working, and the sound inexplicably died after the first week).

wing wrote:They all have access to each other's partitions, and don't interfere at all.

Wait, you mean Vista is able to access the Linuxes too? Dang. That is impressive. (Moreso if it's because the Linuxes are running on NTFS drives, because that means they've flawlessly reverse-engineered it and that we're one step closer to never having to use stupid FAT32 on Flash drives again).
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

User avatar
DragonHawk
Posts: 457
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:20 am UTC
Location: NH, US, Earth
Contact:

Re: "Success" Discussion

Postby DragonHawk » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:07 am UTC

nameless wrote:
lysandra wrote:
Wolf wrote:
keithc wrote:
Wolf wrote:At least I haven't gotten eaten yet.

How do you know?

I. . .I'm not sure. *cowers in fear*

How are you online? Did you waterproof your laptop and poke an antenna out the side of the shark?

How do we know that s/he isn't the shark?

Is s/he wearing a hat? I understand that is a reliable indication of being a human.
Ben'); DROP TABLE Users;--

GENERATION 42: The first time you see this, copy it into yοur sig on any forum and stick a fork in yοur еyе. Social experiment.

Newto
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:30 am UTC

Re: "Success" Discussion

Postby Newto » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:38 am UTC

Wow, I love it when XKCD does this.

I can relate, except it wasn't with OS installing, it was trying to get my DS flash cartridge to save properly. Within several hours of attempts it went from not saving properly, to booting to the gameboy advanced part of the firmware, to not booting the firmware at all (apparently the latest firmware couldn't boot when you had a Kingston 2GB SD card.). I did manage to get it working in the end, but not after reformatting my SD card 6 times or so, twice with each file system...And borrowing a floormate's generic 16mb SD card that came with her camera, and also losing at least an hour of a game because I thought it was saving properly, but then it deleted it...

Still having troubles because the firmware I have doesn't work right so I need to patch everything perfectly, and for some reason re-downloading the patch because it stops working after some number of uses...

User avatar
Syphon
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 1:48 am UTC

Re: "Success" Discussion

Postby Syphon » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:51 am UTC

Code J wrote:Is it sad that when I read the title I heard it spoken from the announcer in Super Smash Bros in my head? I played too many video games today....

Also....awesome comic.


...Oh fuck you. :cry:

a5an0
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:43 am UTC

Re: "Success" Discussion

Postby a5an0 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:02 am UTC

hotaru wrote:
a5an0 wrote:1.OS X uses the Darwin kernel, which is based (mostly) on FreeBSD. Then there are parts from NEXT, etc. OpenBSD originally came from NetBSD, but is quite different now, So the answer to #1 is no.

ummm, no.
http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/osx/arch_xnu.html


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_(operating_system)

User avatar
'; DROP DATABASE;--
Posts: 3284
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:38 am UTC
Location: Midwest Alberta, where it's STILL snowy
Contact:

Re: "Success" Discussion

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:27 am UTC

Newto wrote:Wow, I love it when XKCD does this.

I can relate, except it wasn't with OS installing, it was trying to get my DS flash cartridge to save properly. Within several hours of attempts it went from not saving properly, to booting to the gameboy advanced part of the firmware, to not booting the firmware at all (apparently the latest firmware couldn't boot when you had a Kingston 2GB SD card.). I did manage to get it working in the end, but not after reformatting my SD card 6 times or so, twice with each file system...And borrowing a floormate's generic 16mb SD card that came with her camera, and also losing at least an hour of a game because I thought it was saving properly, but then it deleted it...

Still having troubles because the firmware I have doesn't work right so I need to patch everything perfectly, and for some reason re-downloading the patch because it stops working after some number of uses...
Which cartridge would that be? Some of them are just cheap junk.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

User avatar
wing
the /b/slayer
Posts: 1876
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 5:56 am UTC

Re: "Success" Discussion

Postby wing » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:06 am UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:I can relate to this. I can count the number of Linux distros that I've managed to install properly on one hand, and the ones that have worked perfectly thereafter on zero (Ubuntu came close, but I never did get my tablet working, and the sound inexplicably died after the first week).

wing wrote:They all have access to each other's partitions, and don't interfere at all.

Wait, you mean Vista is able to access the Linuxes too? Dang. That is impressive. (Moreso if it's because the Linuxes are running on NTFS drives, because that means they've flawlessly reverse-engineered it and that we're one step closer to never having to use stupid FAT32 on Flash drives again).

Whoops. I forgot about Vista (I don't use it for anything but Vista-specific presentations because it runs like a dog). No working EXT3 driver for that yet :(

Theoretically I could run a Linux on NTFS, though. It'd hate life because everything would effectively be chmod 777 (the usable ntfs drivers don't support permissions). But NTFS support, aside from the security features, is more or less complete and stable - so running Linux on NTFS should be simpler than running it on ISO9660 (CD). I don't think there's a distro in the land that comes with native NTFS support (particularly on the installation media) whose automatic setup app would let me install to an NTFS partition, though. So it'd have to either be a roll-your-own, or a bootstrapped setup involving installing to an EXT partition, and then moving it to the NTFS partition, and twerking the bootloader. I think I should try this. I'm probably forgetting one or two niggly little "gotchas" but on the surface it seems like it'd work (and be stupid. But it'd work)
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

User avatar
phlip
Restorer of Worlds
Posts: 7557
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:56 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: "Success" Discussion

Postby phlip » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:01 am UTC

Can ntfs-3g be compiled into the kernel though? I know the one in ubuntu runs in userspace via fuse... which isn't exactly helpful for using it for the boot filesystem... but I dunno if that's how ntfs-3g works, or just how the ubuntu people have packaged it...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

User avatar
wing
the /b/slayer
Posts: 1876
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 5:56 am UTC

Re: "Success" Discussion

Postby wing » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:17 am UTC

phlip wrote:Can ntfs-3g be compiled into the kernel though? I know the one in ubuntu runs in userspace via fuse... which isn't exactly helpful for using it for the boot filesystem... but I dunno if that's how ntfs-3g works, or just how the ubuntu people have packaged it...

NTFS-3G FAQ wrote:Can I boot Linux from NTFS?
Yes. For example by using LILO, the same way as with any other filesystem: copy the Linux boot files to NTFS, configure /etc/lilo.conf then run lilo.


So, swap Grub in because lilo sucks, and that's it. Which is somewhat confusing, because my limited understanding is that the ntfs-3g driver is a library that has to be read off the disk, but if it's on the disk that it's required to read....

That said, I could always make the ntfs-3g lib it's own little ext3 partition if it's a problem :P

I must experiment with this later.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

disillusioned
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:24 am UTC

Re: "Success" Discussion

Postby disillusioned » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:26 am UTC

Please to make this a poster immediately.

This occurs with every project we engage in. Mostly.

User avatar
DragonHawk
Posts: 457
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:20 am UTC
Location: NH, US, Earth
Contact:

Re: "Success" Discussion

Postby DragonHawk » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:00 pm UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:Wait, you mean Vista is able to access the Linuxes too?

Haven't tried it under Vista (haven't really tried Vista, much), but I've used explore2fs to access my Linux partitions from XP. It's a fairly self-contained program, so it has a good chance of working with Vista. A Google search for "ext2 windows" yields lots more promising looking matches. That includes some IFS (installable file system) drivers. Those might be trickier with Vista, since they're fairly low-level.
Linuxes are running on NTFS drives, because that means they've flawlessly reverse-engineered it

I wouldn't want to run the system on it, but there is a FUSE (filesystem in user space) package that uses the native Windows drivers to enable fairly reliable access to NTFS from Linux. http://www.linux-ntfs.org/
one step closer to never having to use stupid FAT32 on Flash drives again

I suspect we'll be stuck with FAT for a long time to come. It has become the "lingua franca" for interchangeable data storage. Kinda like ASCII -- 40 years later, we're still living with that legacy, despite the advantages of Unicode.

----

wing wrote:Which is somewhat confusing, because my limited understanding is that the ntfs-3g driver is a library that has to be read off the disk, but if it's on the disk that it's required to read....

initrd (initial ram disk). You build a small filesystem image which contains the kernel modules and userland utilities to get your root filesystem up and running. At boot time, the boot loader (GRUB, LILO, LOADLIN, whatever) loads the initrd image -- along with the kernel image file -- into memory. When the kernel starts running, it finds the initrd already in memory, mounts it, and uses it to get the "real" root mounted.

This is how distros can ship a fully modular kernel, even if the root disk needs a driver module. During kernel install, it automagically builds a initrd for your disk controller. One could do the same with the NTFS kit. (Like you say, it would be stupid, but it sounds like a neat party trick. (Assuming you're at the right kind of party, of course.))
Ben'); DROP TABLE Users;--

GENERATION 42: The first time you see this, copy it into yοur sig on any forum and stick a fork in yοur еyе. Social experiment.

jima
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:35 pm UTC
Location: Minneapolis, MN (.US)
Contact:

Re: "Success" Discussion

Postby jima » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:20 pm UTC

Lumpy wrote:I love how round the 0 is in the first panel. It's perfect!

Totally photoshopped.

User avatar
TheTankengine
Our Fora-father
Posts: 3328
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:09 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, KY
Contact:

Re: "Success" Discussion

Postby TheTankengine » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:40 pm UTC

wing wrote: No working EXT3 driver for that yet :(

Strictly speaking, ext2IFS works on Vista, it just has to be installed under XP compatibility mode. I was able to fully use all of my linux files under Vista. (Note:It does NOT maintain permissions, so I highly recommend you do not go moving stuff around.)

Bonus:If you google "ext2ifs", my post in the "ext2fsd vs. ext2ifs" thread is the ninth link! Yay xkcd fora!
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

starkruzr
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:35 am UTC
Contact:

Re: "Success" Discussion

Postby starkruzr » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:59 pm UTC

This is so true, but I really think the effect is reduced with practice. I've gotten to the point now where I can install various flavors of Linux with hardly a hiccup.
+++ATH0

User avatar
mikekearn
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:34 am UTC
Location: El Cajon, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: "Success" Discussion

Postby mikekearn » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:59 pm UTC

muteKi wrote:
Intamin wrote:Maybe it's b/c it's one at night, but I don't really get the last frame. How do they go from a room to the middle of shark infested waters? And why? :(


That's the point. Something went horribly, horribly wrong.


Also, I really like using italics.


Strangely enough, so do I.

This comic is great. It always seems to follow this pattern for myself, as well. I start at point A, notice something wrong with B, and by the end am trying to figure out why X doesn't like AA interacting with F.
"I will not succumb to temptation. Unless she's cute."

This is a haiku.
It has correct number of
Syllables. I think.

Visit the orphateria.

User avatar
wing
the /b/slayer
Posts: 1876
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 5:56 am UTC

Re: "Success" Discussion

Postby wing » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:15 pm UTC

DragonHawk wrote:initrd


You know, I'm not sure exactly how I managed to forget about that, since I've built systems (of the integrated variety, not of the "computer" variety) that depend on it heavily.

*perform party trick*
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Crysm
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:50 am UTC

Re: "Success" Discussion

Postby Crysm » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:55 am UTC

Gods, it's true. I knew it when I read it yesterday, but given the trials of the past day, it rings ever truer.

My progression went something like this:

- I want a version of linux that boots up fast to dual boot on my laptop.
- Well, I can't resize my NTFS partition for some reason, but I do have this handy SD drive!
- All of the standard distros I've used before are too big for my 512MB drive. I guess I'll go with a minimalized Gentoo.
- Well, I can't really get the card to boot itself, but if I use a LiveCD and work from there, I should be able to pull something off.
- Every time I want to amend something, I have to start over completely, but if I can just do this right, I'll have a generic system and kernel that I can replace later.
- Maybe if I try a different filesystem, GRUB can pick up the partition...
- If I can just get GRUB to recognize that the device exists, it doesn't matter if the kernel works or not; I can compile a new one and replace it.

And now I'm giving up and going to bed. I didn't even get ??? or Profit! out of this.

User avatar
muteKi
Angry is too weak a term. Try "Fluffy".
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:02 am UTC
Location: William and Mary, Williamsburg, VA

Re: "Success" Discussion

Postby muteKi » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:28 am UTC

Chainsaw Fencing Champ wrote:
Belial wrote:That's what sea-raptors are for


craptors?


Short for "Oh crap, Sea-Raptors!" but since one can't say most of that before getting devoured, it is shortened.


Installing Ubuntu on my Thinkpad Z61 went pretty well once I told it to just format a partition with the largest unused contiguous space.
Using it has a few issues. OpenOffice dies after a few minutes each time I try to run it. I think that is connected with the fact that the Intel 945 GM Integrated Graphics Card apparently has an incomplete driver. A lot of 3D effects don't look quite right.
Image

matthijsje
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:00 am UTC

Re: "Success" Discussion

Postby matthijsje » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:24 pm UTC

this is so true, loads of my projects die in that way

I have never had problems with dual or even triple booting though, usually it sorts itself out in the end.
I have a laptop triple booting two versions of windows and ubuntu, worked instantly.

Daemen
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:20 am UTC

Re: "Success" Discussion

Postby Daemen » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:27 am UTC

I was browsing through qdb.us and found this:

http://qdb.us/46095 wrote:<xkcd> okay, I've got a 6GB partition free, I'm gonna put in a FreeBSD disk and boot and see if I can install. Anyone have any advice?
<Socket7> have you made a will yet?
<-- xkcd has quit (wish me luck)
[30 minutes pass]
--> xkcd_ (xkcd@hide-BF9D384C.centrl01.va.comcast.net) has joined #pugglewump
<xkcd> let us never speak of this 'FreeBSD incident' again.

jhorner
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:10 am UTC

Re: "Success" Discussion

Postby jhorner » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:25 am UTC

Sadly, this comic sums up my career:

In '96 I sat at my desk and shoved 20 floppies, one at a time, into my first pc to get it to boot netbsd, and I haven't left my desk since.

Ugh! I really need to switch careers before the sharks eat me.

User avatar
muteKi
Angry is too weak a term. Try "Fluffy".
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:02 am UTC
Location: William and Mary, Williamsburg, VA

Re: "Success" Discussion

Postby muteKi » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:58 am UTC

If someone put the Ext2FS in this thread THANK YOU VERY MUCH


I can now access my Linux files on Windows, fwiw.
Image

User avatar
Atmosck
Posts: 205
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:59 am UTC
Location: Denver
Contact:

Re: "Success" Discussion

Postby Atmosck » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:11 pm UTC

I reminded myself of this today. I tried to install a fan for my RAM yesterday, which somehow caused my liquid cooling to spring a leak in the waterblock, which dripped on the video card and motherboard causing the video card to malfunction, which caused a crash while the hard drive was writing. Right now i'm writing this from my dad's laptop, with the guts of my computer all around me (uninstalling liquid cooling is a bitch), trying to get something out of the warranties. I've got my eye out for sharks at this point.

jima
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:35 pm UTC
Location: Minneapolis, MN (.US)
Contact:

Re: "Success" Discussion

Postby jima » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:07 am UTC

Can they even swim in the coolant?

User avatar
Atmosck
Posts: 205
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:59 am UTC
Location: Denver
Contact:

Re: "Success" Discussion

Postby Atmosck » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:18 am UTC

It wouldn't surprise me. They'll find a way.

I'm actually backtracking! The computer works now (i went back to good ol' air cooling), but now i can only run it in safe mode! Joy! (The video card crashes when it tires to mount the drivers.)

JonTheNiceGuy
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:38 pm UTC

Re: "Success" Discussion

Postby JonTheNiceGuy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:40 pm UTC

Has anyone seen TranslationParty.com yet? I put in the text from the last frame, and got back the following:

Please, please, close the shark in the shallows. RAIBUAPPUGUREDO do I need?

Hmmm. Unique. Feel free to give it a try :) http://translationparty.com/tp/#283632

theoreticallypossible
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:43 am UTC

Re: "Success" Discussion

Postby theoreticallypossible » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:55 pm UTC

THIS IS HOW it feels like when you're sitting your HSC exams (thats like equivalent of SAT/GCSE(?)) >_____________<"
i relate completely
tecnoology... meh. life in general.

User avatar
Pfhorrest
Posts: 5007
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: 0349: "Success"

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:44 pm UTC

It just struck me what a perfect metaphor for life this comic is.

Start out young thinking your brilliant new ideas will make you uniquely rich and famous. Then settle for just being an excellent example of an ordinarily prestigious profession. Then settle for being an ordinary example of that prestigious profession. Then settle for getting into that prestigious profession. Then settle for just any career that will let you live an ordinary quiet life. Then settle for any career that gives you any hope of possibly settling into something resembling an ordinary quiet life by some time before you die. Eventually settle for making ends meet just a little bit longer so you don't die quite yet.

Then you die.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

User avatar
Old Bruce
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:27 pm UTC

Re: 0349: "Success"

Postby Old Bruce » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:02 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:It just struck me what a perfect metaphor for life this comic is.

Start out young thinking your brilliant new ideas will make you uniquely rich and famous. Then settle for just being an excellent example of an ordinarily prestigious profession. Then settle for being an ordinary example of that prestigious profession. Then settle for getting into that prestigious profession. Then settle for just any career that will let you live an ordinary quiet life. Then settle for any career that gives you any hope of possibly settling into something resembling an ordinary quiet life by some time before you die. Eventually settle for making ends meet just a little bit longer so you don't die quite yet.

Then you die.

A friend of my father told me about how he identified with O'Brien of the inner party when he read 1984 in the 50's then he read it in the late 60's and identified with Winston in the outer party and finally when he read it in 1983 he realized he had always been "Just a god-damned prol"


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 36 guests