0324: "Tapping"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

xooll

0324: "Tapping"

Postby xooll » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:06 am UTC

text: Sometimes the best fun looks like boredom.

Surely I am not the only one who immediately started tapping on the desk to see if this works.

There is but a single rule in this forum - post a link if you start the discussion thread. Obviously in your frantic rush to finally be the lucky fellow to create this topic, which, I admit, probably could be the biggest achievement of your life, you overlooked this simple stipulation. No matter, for I am a benevolent and kindly moderator.

And hence, I bestow upon you, the appropriate link:

http://xkcd.com/324/

(It's really not that hard.)

- Saladin.

edit: Could've sworn I'd made the image a link... but no matter. Our kindly (if a bit condescending) mods are on the job.
Last edited by xooll on Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

Theogrin

Re: "Tapping" discussion

Postby Theogrin » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:09 am UTC

(Deleted my own copy because of the 10 general posts thing.)

I'm wondering if Randall's ever heard of the instrument known as the "Hang". (Wikipedia has info. So does Youtube!)
A while ago I decided that the best way to progress through life was to do something new every day. Unfortunately, I got bored of that a few days later.

Cabhan

Postby Cabhan » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:10 am UTC

I do this all the time. Maybe not the Jurassic Park theme, but definitely tapping and playing bongos on my desk.

'course, you tell that to someone, and they're like "Quoi?" Yay others who do it too!

Must concentrate on homework! And yet...I want to memorize the Jurassic Park theme!

Steve Zissou

Postby Steve Zissou » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:10 am UTC

Am I the only one who's shamelessly tried this with a plastic ruler?
Having varying lengths hang off the side of a desk makes varying pitches.

Makes for some fun, impromptu "Smoke on the Water" performances.
Last edited by Steve Zissou on Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:24 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The Horrible Fanfare - A Journalist's blog.
bigglesworth wrote:Steve Zissou! Steve Zissou!
Will you do the fandango?

mackey

Postby mackey » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:11 am UTC

i must admit i do this all the time, if you use different objects like pens and pencils you can get even more pitches, its awesome

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Mathmagic » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:12 am UTC

Theogrin wrote:(Deleted my own copy because of the 10 general posts thing.)

I'm wondering if Randall's ever heard of the instrument known as the "Hang". (Wikipedia has info. So does Youtube!)

Generally, that only applies in the Arts & Links forum (or whatever it's called now), but way to take initiative! :smile:

I was also just congratulating you in YOUR thread on how you ninja'd THIS thread, and your post actually included the comic link.

A+ for effort!

Anyway, RE: Tapping

I usually do this at a friend's house or in a car, until I get yelled at for being annoying.

@Zissou

Yes, "Smoke On The Water" is pretty much the easiest/best tune to play with this media.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

Dustbin

Postby Dustbin » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:13 am UTC

it's all fun and games until I accidentally do it in public. :/

UserGoogol

Postby UserGoogol » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:16 am UTC

I have not attempted to actually imitate specific melodic music using this method, but I've certainly done this. Another helpful tip is that different parts of your fingers can make different noises as well. Fleshy versus bony.

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:22 am UTC

What's great about using a ruler is it's really easy to keep track of where the intervals lie!
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

Tetelestia

Postby Tetelestia » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:24 am UTC

Heh, I thought he was going to accidentally call a raptor. Good comic.

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:31 am UTC

"Jurassic Park is frightening in the dark, all the dinosaurs are running wild."

Was gonna post a link to some site like YouTube video ID qB-QgTza3Gs or something, but apparently I'm not allowed, since I don't have enough posts yet.

Maybe somebody else will post it for me.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:37 am UTC

Go ahead. I believe that rule ascertains to creating a thread with a link in it, not just posting one in a reply.

Geekthras
3) What if it's delicious?

Postby Geekthras » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:38 am UTC

My favorite version of this is tapping the side of my mouth while making fish faces, and my friend can play the "fact trumpet," which is when you put your hand over your eye and push it inwards to make a flatulatory sound.
Wait. With a SPOON?!

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:43 am UTC

Fearbears?! wrote:If you have less than 10 legitimate posts in the forums, you are not allowed to post a link. Yes, that means any link.

Fearbears?! wrote:Go ahead. I believe that rule ascertains to creating a thread with a link in it, not just posting one in a reply.

Well, since I think I have permission... http://youtube.com/watch?v=qB-QgTza3Gs ftw! I hope to be a member in good standing before long anyway. :-)
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:45 am UTC

I can't remember if I actually posted that line or if someone else edited it in. But either way it was referring to new threads rather than posts.

(I think.)

Edit: I don't see what that rule has specifically to do with this sub-forum anyway, I'll remove it. People can refer to the global rules.

Jwink3101

Postby Jwink3101 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:51 am UTC

When i discovered Mathematica had a Play function that could play sin waves, (and sine waves that vary over time) I spent a similar afternoon. Of course, my roomate at college hates me now (well, until i got headphones) but that is life.

photosinensis

Postby photosinensis » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:51 am UTC

For all these years, I thought this was another facet of my madness. And now, I finally know I'm not the only one who hears those tones.

Perhaps I'm not as psychotic as my friends claim.
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning,
And my heart was filled with mournng, mourning for my dear amour.
"'Tis not possible!" I uttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!"
Quoth the server: 404.

Talonz

Postby Talonz » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:53 am UTC

Another instance of XKCD doing some mind reading. Did a similar thing on my bike - I have four trigger shifts which will snap back to position with varying levels of pitch. Managed to play a recognizable jingle bells and twinkle twinkle little star with them...

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:09 am UTC

Wow, only a member for a short time and already I'm changing the rules. I should run for president. Although if Randall runs, I'll concede. But first we'll have to change the rule regarding the presidential age requirement.

jimmythesax

Postby jimmythesax » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:18 am UTC

I do this. Desks, rulers, bottles, glasses, and pretty much anything I can lay my hands on. I've more then once made a rubber band guitar and played some songs. I do have the distinct advantage of being heavily musically talented and also knowing all the wonderful harmonic and acoustic properties of my wonderful sax that I can apply to making the standard jug so much more fun to play.

e946

Postby e946 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:19 am UTC

UserGoogol wrote:but I've certainly done this. Another helpful tip is that different parts of your fingers can make different noises as well. Fleshy versus bony.

That's what she said.

Aradae

Postby Aradae » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:20 am UTC

As a percussionist I must admit that I do this all the time.
Guys guys guys! I found Russel's teapot! . . . nevermind, it was just Jesus flying to Mars again.

Geekthras
3) What if it's delicious?

Postby Geekthras » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:21 am UTC

e946 wrote:
UserGoogol wrote:but I've certainly done this. Another helpful tip is that different parts of your fingers can make different noises as well. Fleshy versus bony.

That's what she said.

I've been waiting that ever since I saw that post
Wait. With a SPOON?!

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:30 am UTC

I think Jurassic Park was the first movie I ever saw in a theater.

At one point I could play the theme on the piano, but not anymore.

I think I enjoy air drumming even more than I enjoy air guitaring.

my friend Catherine's breath smells like cat food
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

christopherjvr

Postby christopherjvr » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:53 am UTC

I bartend downtown in Washington DC, and a little while back I noticed that you can get some pretty good tones by bouncing things (straws work well) off inverted mixer tins. Three of the four always propped up at my bar play the start to the unmistakable melody of Close Encounter of the Third Kind to near perfection. No desks, but i use what i can.

xooll

Postby xooll » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:54 am UTC

space_raptor wrote:I think I enjoy air drumming even more than I enjoy air guitaring.

I air drum a lot and seldom air guitar, even though I've never played the drums and do play the guitar...

edit: WHOA! the forum has a ninja-detector now!
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

Piarew

Postby Piarew » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:10 am UTC

christopherjvr wrote:I bartend downtown in Washington DC, and a little while back I noticed that you can get some pretty good tones by bouncing things (straws work well) off inverted mixer tins. Three of the four always propped up at my bar play the start to the unmistakable melody of Close Encounter of the Third Kind to near perfection. No desks, but i use what i can.

For some reason I really want to see an episode of "Its Always Sunny In Philadelphia" where this happens now!

Also, get yourself over to the intro thread before the forum ninjas whisk you away. Glad you registered! :)
The new kid on the block.

Africantearoa

Postby Africantearoa » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:20 am UTC

Oh how I wish I could produce correct interval length'd notes!

slobrummer

Postby slobrummer » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:47 am UTC

For a while, the Jurassic Park theme was my favorite song (raptors aside). Good show John Williams, (and of course Randall for the excellent comics.)

Archena

Postby Archena » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:08 am UTC

I did this all the time on desk in school and was always confused when nobody else could hear the tones (and when they told me to shut the hell up ;)).

Saucepans are good for this too... and woks. Swirling water around in a wok makes some very interesting sounds.
Got a lovebite from a wasp
Sexy little hexapod *

Syphon

Postby Syphon » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:31 am UTC

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:33 am UTC

1337geek wrote:"Jurassic Park is frightening in the dark, all the dinosaurs are running wild."

I don't think that's the theme he's tapping out. I think he's tapping out the score to the movie. Here's the actual soundtrack, and from the looks of it you can listen to a sample. I don't know, since I don't have sound on my computer at work.

As far as the subject of tapping goes, I have done this several times. Especially on your mom.

I just did it this morning on my desk at work, playing part of the Star Wars theme. I usually do it when I'm bored.

What's funny about this is that you can tap out a song on your desk, but in most cases only you will hear the actual song. Anyone else will just hear the tapping, and think it annoying. I think it's somewhat an audible illusion, since you're already playing the song in your head, so you expect the taps to correspond with the high and low notes of the song you are "playing." Anyone else won't hear it. I remember when I was a kid a friend of mine and I played a "Name That Tune"-type game, tapping out the song on whatever surface we were near, but not something that would wake his parents. Mainly, the carpet. I would hear the song I was tapping out, and the taps corresponded with the notes, but all he could really hear was the pace of the tapping, and vice versa. For example, if I tapped out "taptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptap (pause) taptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptap (pause)," etc. he would have probably guessed I was tapping out "Gangsta's Paradise" by Coolio, unless he couldn't really hear the rhythm of the song, or the pace of the taps.

I remember in high school a lot of kids would beat out bass beats for various rap songs on the desks. Those chair-desks make for some good percussion instruments.
PRG

An important message for you:

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:01 pm UTC

Steve Zissou wrote:Am I the only one who's shamelessly tried this with a plastic ruler?
Having varying lengths hang off the side of a desk makes varying pitches.

Makes for some fun, impromptu "Smoke on the Water" performances.

No. I used to try to play 'tourettes' in school. the shame. oh, the shame.

edit: its like when I'm listening to music on earphones and I'm convinced that people are singing the song I'm listening to :shock:
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:32 pm UTC

text: The best fun ALWAYS looks like boredom.

Fix;d
=]

Stief

Postby Stief » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:37 pm UTC

This one actually made me laugh out loud...Usually, it's a sly chuckle, or a stifled giggle...but today...an actual full-on 'lol'...

the Jurrasic Park theme was the bit that made me laugh the most, along with the amazing tapping skills in the third panel...

This reminds me of my high-school/comprehensive Biology class...one day, someone started tapping their desk...a few people followed up, tapping metal parts, and soon the entire class had an orchestra going...I think I was part of the pen troupe...[/nostalgia]

*leaves to go and listen to the Jurrasic Park theme, and put it on his mp3 player*

Edit1: added what 'instruments' we were
Edit2: I forgot how great the Jurassic Park theme was
bbctol wrote:There is a term for what you have created. I believe it is "Dude- that shit is EPIC."

Teknobo wrote:Seriously, try flying down the street in Need for Speed while listening to the bicycle theme from Pokémon. It's beyond fantastic.

julesh

Postby julesh » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:48 pm UTC

The best movie theme to play is Terminator 2. Everyone who knows it will recognise it by the time you get to the end. At least, if you get to the end. It gets pretty loud and annoying first.

Tap-tap-taptap-taptaptap. Tap-Tap-TapTap-TapTapTap. TAP-TAP-TAPTAP-TAPTAPTAP. BANG-BANG-BANGBANG-BANGBANGBANG.

Heh.

Patashu
Answerful Bignitude

Postby Patashu » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:49 pm UTC

I too do this all the time etc etc

Something about this comment seems very Garfield to me. Is it just me?

codehead0

Postby codehead0 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:03 pm UTC

It works great with your stomach (do this all the time in class with my friend)

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:31 pm UTC

I sort of feel like he's playing a ghetto version of arcade-style Poppin' Music.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

SuprousOxide

Postby SuprousOxide » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:41 pm UTC

I've just been spending all morning trying to remember what the theme to Jurassic Park was... I guess I didn't like the movie enough or see it enough for the theme to have any impression on me. I do remember the Weird Al song, though (and after watching the video there's no chance I'll get that long far enough out of my head to remember anything else)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”