2164: "Glacier"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Reka

2164: "Glacier"

Postby Reka » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:19 pm UTC

Title text: The Norwegian adaptation of The Sword in the Stone takes things in a weird direction.

ROFL. I know fencers who would totally do this.

The title text, on the other hand, is an "eh? I don't get it" for me.

Unclevertitle

Re: 2164: "Glacier"

Postby Unclevertitle » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:27 pm UTC

"You fight like a climatologist!"

"How appropriate, you fight like a glacier."

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:45 pm UTC

Watch out for a sudden advance-lunge. Global warming, you know?

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:03 pm UTC

Reka wrote:Title text: The Norwegian adaptation of The Sword in the Stone takes things in a weird direction.

The title text, on the other hand, is an "eh? I don't get it" for me.

I'm not sure how much you don't get so some of this may sound kind of remedial.

The Sword in the Stone is a legend about how a young King Arthur became King because he was the only person capable of pulling the sword Excalibur out of the stone into which it was stuck via an enchantment to the effect that only the rightful king would be able to pull it out.

That sword was stuck point-first into the stone, and pulled out by the handle.

In this comic, a sword is stuck into a glacier, handle-first, point-out.

Norway has a lot of glaciers.

So, their adaptation of the Sword in the Stone would be weird, having something to do with a sword stuck point-out in a glacier, which you therefore couldn't straightforwardly just pull out of it, no matter how rightfully deserving of kingship you were.

Perhaps instead the young king must defeat the glacier in a duel.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:54 pm UTC

I think what happens is the sword gets stuck in the glacier like in the comic, and then the glacier hits a rock and drives the sword into the rock. Then the glacier melts, and then someone has to pull the sword out of the stone. But the rock ended up breaking with the pressure from the glacier and all, so you can just pick it up off the ground. But the sword is all mangled so it's sort of worthless.
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:22 pm UTC

hmm.. I wonder if the lady of the lake is a lady in the glacier in the Norwegian version?
Last edited by Quizatzhaderac on Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:04 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:hmm.. I wonder if the lady of the lack is a lady in the glacier in the Norwegian version?

A yuki-onna that got really lost?

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:17 pm UTC

It'll be difficult to determine when the glacier's attack ends, there being no obvious foot landing or arm extension; Beret Guy is going to have to depend on a parry-riposte to get priority.

hamjudo

Postby hamjudo » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:49 pm UTC

Most glaciers are melting or sublimating at the leading edge and growing from the back and top by accumulating snow.

In a stable glacier, the growth rate and the melt rate are approximately the same when averaged over the course of multiple years.

95% of glaciers are getting smaller. Climate denialists will happily tell you about the few glaciers that are growing, as if having a few that grow negate the 95% that are shrinking.

The fastest growing glacier in North America is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crater_Glacier. Crater Glacier's leading edge is advancing at an average of about a meter per day. A sword fight as depicted in the comic could easily be fatal. Water is heavy enough, but this glacier has picked up a lot of rocks. Those rocks get dropped as the ice melts at the edges. A sword fighter could easily get incorporated into a glacial moraine.

Since the glacier is growing on average, during the winters it will scrape up a lot of the stuff it dropped in the summer. Some of that may get reincorporated with the glacier, so the sword fighter might get to be one with the glacier.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:30 pm UTC

I hope (for beret guy's sake) they're not playing for first blood.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

cubicquitous

Postby cubicquitous » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:33 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:The Sword in the Stone is a legend about how a young King Arthur became King because he was the only person capable of pulling the sword Excalibur out of the stone into which it was stuck via an enchantment to the effect that only the rightful king would be able to pull it out.

I believe legends differ on whether the sword in the stone was Excalibur, which was later given by the Lady in the Lake.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:55 pm UTC

cubicquitous wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:The Sword in the Stone is a legend about how a young King Arthur became King because he was the only person capable of pulling the sword Excalibur out of the stone into which it was stuck via an enchantment to the effect that only the rightful king would be able to pull it out.

I believe legends differ on whether the sword in the stone was Excalibur, which was later given by the Lady in the Lake.

Look, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from an enchanted stony mass, not some farcical aquatic ceremony! You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you! I mean, if I went around proclaiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

cubicquitous

Postby cubicquitous » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:04 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
cubicquitous wrote:

Look, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from an enchanted stony mass, not some farcical aquatic ceremony! You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you! I mean, if I went around proclaiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

That's the problem with the xkcd forumites, you end up writing in Python.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:11 pm UTC

cubicquitous wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:
cubicquitous wrote:

You, sir, have just won one (1) imperial internets (slightly smaller than a metric internet, but is divisible by 12).

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:54 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:if I went around proclaiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Thanks, from now on I'm calling mermaids/sirens "moist bints".

cubicquitous

Postby cubicquitous » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:59 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
cubicquitous wrote:

You, sir, have just won one (1) imperial internets (slightly smaller than a metric internet, but is divisible by 12).

I hope that's British Imperial.

I now learn that Python the language was named after* the comedy, so my witticism is not quite as clever as I thought. I've posted only a few times on this forum, so I should stop now while my (internets won) / (posts made) is so high... :D

*or "named for" if you are working in US Imperial.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”