2158: "Qualifiers"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Moose Anus
Posts: 432
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:12 pm UTC

2158: "Qualifiers"

Postby Moose Anus » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:19 pm UTC

Image
Title text: [20 minutes later] ", hi."

That's just my 2 cents, I'm just sayin', or whatever, just being honest.
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

User avatar
moody7277
Posts: 621
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:06 pm UTC
Location: Extreme south Texas

Re: 2158: "Qualifiers"

Postby moody7277 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:52 pm UTC

Makes an interesting juxtaposition or opposition to 2146.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.


BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

User avatar
Flumble
Yes Man
Posts: 2248
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:35 pm UTC

Re: 2158: "Qualifiers"

Postby Flumble » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:05 pm UTC

I prefer people just keeping their mouths shut unless meaningful words come out. "AAAAAAAAA" counts too, if it's to warn about lego bricks scattered across the floor.

sotanaht
Posts: 238
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:14 am UTC

Re: 2158: "Qualifiers"

Postby sotanaht » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:39 am UTC

Flumble wrote:I prefer people just keeping their mouths shut unless meaningful words come out. "AAAAAAAAA" counts too, if it's to warn about lego bricks scattered across the floor.

Then you miss the moment, the other person starts yapping again and you forget whatever it was you were going to say, again.

I am Jack's username
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:55 am UTC

Re: 2158: "Qualifiers"

Postby I am Jack's username » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:35 am UTC

Dear sir or madam, or to whom it may concern.

Note that, pursuant to your request, be advised that there is information in this message I am sending you. As you already know, I am enclosing the above mentioned information herein for your information.

Permit me to say that I trust that you will find this useful, in my humble opinion.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Please do not hesitate to contact the undersigned.

Sincerely yours,
Ina Ne, Esq.
Department of redundancy department

esran
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:48 am UTC

Re: 2158: "Qualifiers"

Postby esran » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:49 am UTC

You mean to say, as in, ...

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 3078
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 2158: "Qualifiers"

Postby orthogon » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:20 pm UTC

One of the most difficult things about speaking a foreign language is not having access to these kinds of paralinguistic phrases, meaning that you're completely tongue-tied while you try to work out what to say. Conversely, if you learn an extensive enough repertoire, you can sound fluent even if you can't express any actual concepts in the language.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

User avatar
Moose Anus
Posts: 432
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:12 pm UTC

Re: 2158: "Qualifiers"

Postby Moose Anus » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:17 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:One of the most difficult things about speaking a foreign language is not having access to these kinds of paralinguistic phrases, meaning that you're completely tongue-tied while you try to work out what to say. Conversely, if you learn an extensive enough repertoire, you can sound fluent even if you can't express any actual concepts in the language.
I know a few non-native english speakers who normally interject their sentences with, "How you say." It indicates that they're tongue-tied and aren't quite at your vocabulary level so you should bear with them.
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

User avatar
ParisNorway
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:41 pm UTC

Re: 2158: "Qualifiers"

Postby ParisNorway » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:17 pm UTC

I always wondered what's with "Can I ask you a question?" thing. I mean you ask me all sorts of things all the time and then suddenly you ask whether you can ask "a question" which I cannot even answer truthfully without knowing what the question is.
The Road goes ever on and on
Out from the door where it began.

User avatar
Quizatzhaderac
Posts: 1798
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:28 pm UTC
Location: Space Florida

Re: 2158: "Qualifiers"

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:44 pm UTC

It's asking if the speaker can take your time for a particularly elaborate question, or a question that requires a potentially elaborate response.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

User avatar
NoMouse
Posts: 727
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:05 pm UTC
Location: Czech Republic

Re: 2158: "Qualifiers"

Postby NoMouse » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:09 pm UTC

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

User avatar
Flumble
Yes Man
Posts: 2248
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:35 pm UTC

Re: 2158: "Qualifiers"

Postby Flumble » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:41 pm UTC

ParisNorway wrote:I always wondered what's with "Can I ask you a question?" thing. I mean you ask me all sorts of things all the time and then suddenly you ask whether you can ask "a question" which I cannot even answer truthfully without knowing what the question is.

If it's during a conversation, it usually implies the question will not be in any way related to the subject and/or very personal. It gives you a bit of time to change register and build up your personal space. :P

GalFisk
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:26 pm UTC

Re: 2158: "Qualifiers"

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:17 am UTC

Moose Anus wrote:
orthogon wrote:One of the most difficult things about speaking a foreign language is not having access to these kinds of paralinguistic phrases, meaning that you're completely tongue-tied while you try to work out what to say. Conversely, if you learn an extensive enough repertoire, you can sound fluent even if you can't express any actual concepts in the language.
I know a few non-native english speakers who normally interject their sentences with, "How you say." It indicates that they're tongue-tied and aren't quite at your vocabulary level so you should bear with them.

Some native Swedish speakers have the bad habit of interjecting "vad heter det" ("what's it called") whenever their mouth has caught up with their train of thought and a small pause is needed. I much prefer "um" or something like it.

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 3078
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 2158: "Qualifiers"

Postby orthogon » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:17 am UTC

GalFisk wrote:
Moose Anus wrote:
orthogon wrote:One of the most difficult things about speaking a foreign language is not having access to these kinds of paralinguistic phrases, meaning that you're completely tongue-tied while you try to work out what to say. Conversely, if you learn an extensive enough repertoire, you can sound fluent even if you can't express any actual concepts in the language.
I know a few non-native english speakers who normally interject their sentences with, "How you say." It indicates that they're tongue-tied and aren't quite at your vocabulary level so you should bear with them.

Some native Swedish speakers have the bad habit of interjecting "vad heter det" ("what's it called") whenever their mouth has caught up with their train of thought and a small pause is needed. I much prefer "um" or something like it.

I'm not an expert, but native Mandarin speakers seem to pad with "那个" ("that [unclassified thing]"); unfortunately to the English-speaking ear (?) the pronunciation "nàge" can sound uncomfortably close to the 'n'-word.

"How you say" is interesting in that it's not grammatical in English, so it's a mis-translation from another language that has been spread from one non-native speaker to another.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

speising
Posts: 2353
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:54 pm UTC
Location: wien

Re: 2158: "Qualifiers"

Postby speising » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:06 pm UTC

Summarise Proust Competition wrote:this bloke comes in - wossname, wossname, ....

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6gf7m4?start=185

User avatar
svenman
Posts: 659
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:09 pm UTC
Location: 680 km NNE of the Château d'If

Re: 2158: "Qualifiers"

Postby svenman » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:34 am UTC

orthogon wrote:"How you say" is interesting in that it's not grammatical in English, so it's a mis-translation from another language that has been spread from one non-native speaker to another.

That's the case if you write it down in this way; however, I'd argue the actual phrase is supposed to be "How do you say" with the pronunciation of "do" slurred to a point that it is hard to pick up. On the other hand, maybe that is how some non-native speakers pick up the phrase from other speakers, misunderstanding a slurred "How d'you say" as "How you say".

Similar in a way to how the awful "should of/would of/could of" construction has arisen from a mis-parsing of "should've/would've/could've".
Apart from Forum Games, mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams thanks all of us who helped. Her life is much better now.

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

Mikeski
Posts: 1101
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:24 am UTC
Location: Minnesota, USA

Re: 2158: "Qualifiers"

Postby Mikeski » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:34 pm UTC

Isn't "how you say" just a contraction of "[this is] how you say [something idiomatic]"? It's no more ungrammatical than the "look [at this from my perspective]" in the comic.

I suppose it gets confused as a foreign phrase, since that's the only sort of conversation that needs it. There isn't much need for a phrase meaning "this is an idiom in your language or regional dialect" between two speakers who speak the same language and dialect. The conversation requires one foreigner. Or one person pretending to be unaware of an idiom for humorous reasons.

User avatar
GlassHouses
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:41 pm UTC

Re: 2158: "Qualifiers"

Postby GlassHouses » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:26 pm UTC

Saying "how you say" instead of "how do you say" sounds like a common mistake made by people whose first language does not have do-support, i.e. most languages that aren't English.

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 3078
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 2158: "Qualifiers"

Postby orthogon » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:11 am UTC

GlassHouses wrote:Saying "how you say" instead of "how do you say" sounds like a common mistake made by people whose first language does not have do-support, i.e. most languages that aren't English.

Indeed, or ones which don't use inversion with interrogatives anyway: "* Why you didn't tell me?".
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

User avatar
Quizatzhaderac
Posts: 1798
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:28 pm UTC
Location: Space Florida

Re: 2158: "Qualifiers"

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:18 pm UTC

I call dibs on "do-support" as a political policy. I'm not sure what it means yet, but like it's connotation, which makes it perfect for politics.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Mikeski
Posts: 1101
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:24 am UTC
Location: Minnesota, USA

Re: 2158: "Qualifiers"

Postby Mikeski » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:07 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:I call dibs on "do-support" as a political policy. I'm not sure what it means yet, but like it's connotation, which makes it perfect for politics.

It means "bureaucracy", doesn't it? We support do-ing, but don't actually do? (And would prefer that it never gets done, so our jobs remain necessary.)

User avatar
Quizatzhaderac
Posts: 1798
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:28 pm UTC
Location: Space Florida

Re: 2158: "Qualifiers"

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:45 pm UTC

My first guess would be would be a laissez-faire, right-wing pro business policy. Adjusting for my own politics, I'd probably make it a more pro-small-business policy.

As for your interpretation, Mikeski. I'd say "logistics" fits better. 10% of war is a guy with a gun, and the other 90% is getting the guy to the right place , at the right time, fed, rested, and dysentery free.

Bureaucracy, (when done right) is still about stopping people from doing bad things (and when done wrong, about stopping them from doing anything): like stopping cops from arresting people on "gut feelings", or mangers from approving useless projects, et cetra.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ZoomanSP and 35 guests