2144: "Adjusting a Chair"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Mikeski

2144: "Adjusting a Chair"

Postby Mikeski » Wed May 01, 2019 4:16 pm UTC

Title Text: When I was looking at the box, I should have thought more about what "360 degrees of freedom" meant.

Also, that "Cthair" might not be a typo.

cellocgw

Re: 2144: "Adjusting a Chair"

Postby cellocgw » Wed May 01, 2019 4:52 pm UTC

Considering what's happening to the poor fellow, it looks more like 4π Ω of freedom.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

sonar1313

Postby sonar1313 » Wed May 01, 2019 4:57 pm UTC

Obviously, adjusting a chair is so much simpler in real life than in this cartoon. In real life, to adjust the desired chair parameter, simply wiggle whichever lever you can't find.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed May 01, 2019 5:26 pm UTC

Is it pronounced levver or leaver?

I'm used to adjustable chairs that just have one lever that can be pulled one way. It's just that the height of the chair is locked in a superposition of <too low|too high> and all you can do when pulling the lever is change the distribution.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Wed May 01, 2019 5:46 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:Is it pronounced levver or leaver?

The former is American pronunciation, while the latter is British/Commonwealth pronunciation.

Reka

Postby Reka » Wed May 01, 2019 6:09 pm UTC

I want to know what color to set my lights to in order to achieve this sort of growth.

https://xkcd.com/1663

DavidSh

Postby DavidSh » Wed May 01, 2019 8:06 pm UTC

I think my current office chair has 7 degrees of freedom, including 2 translational motions and one rotational motion for the base, one vertical motion and one independent rotational motion for the seat, one vertical sliding motion for the head rest, and one spring-loaded recline motion for the back. I ignore the individual positions of the casters -- that could add another 5 degrees of freedom.

360 degrees of freedom is monstrous.

iabervon

Postby iabervon » Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm UTC

I used to work somewhere with chairs with a lever under the seat you could pull up to disable the spring that pulls the seat and back upright. One of my cow orkers would habitually set the lever and lean back to think about stuff. When he was thinking about something really complicated, he'd also close his eyes, put his arms behind his head, and put his feet up. Every once in a while, what he'd find to put his feet on would be the lever, and he'd push it down with his foot, at which point he'd be entirely supported by the seat and back when the spring re-engaged, and his chair would launch him into his monitor.

hamjudo

Postby hamjudo » Wed May 01, 2019 10:33 pm UTC

DavidSh wrote:I think my current office chair has 7 degrees of freedom, including 2 translational motions and one rotational motion for the base, one vertical motion and one independent rotational motion for the seat, one vertical sliding motion for the head rest, and one spring-loaded recline motion for the back. I ignore the individual positions of the casters -- that could add another 5 degrees of freedom.

360 degrees of freedom is monstrous.

I am used to casters that both swivel and roll, so that would be your original 7, plus 5 swivel joints, plus 5 axles, gives us 17.

Now make a chair that looks like yours, but is held together with 343 screws, but don't use Lock Tight or anything else to prevent the screws from from loosening.

You have to be alert when sitting in a chair like that because at any moment one of the screws might come out and dump you on the floor.

Note that when a screw does come all the way out, it is no longer constrained. It goes from 1 degree of freedom to 6. So the chair then has 365 degrees of freedom. Add 6 more degrees of freedom for each part that comes completely off the chair, and 1 to 5 for each part that is partially constrained.

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu May 02, 2019 4:07 am UTC

I'm confused. Are these Fahrenheit or Centigrade degrees of freedom?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu May 02, 2019 4:20 am UTC

Rankine.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu May 02, 2019 4:35 am UTC

Man, that was cold!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Thu May 02, 2019 8:56 am UTC

Huh, I thought 'degrees of freedom' were diplomas from Independence University.

keldor

Postby keldor » Thu May 02, 2019 10:10 am UTC

iabervon wrote:I used to work somewhere with chairs with a lever under the seat you could pull up to disable the spring that pulls the seat and back upright. One of my cow orkers would habitually set the lever and lean back to think about stuff. When he was thinking about something really complicated, he'd also close his eyes, put his arms behind his head, and put his feet up. Every once in a while, what he'd find to put his feet on would be the lever, and he'd push it down with his foot, at which point he'd be entirely supported by the seat and back when the spring re-engaged, and his chair would launch him into his monitor.

This is clearly a feature.

The chair allows the employee to be comfortable, improving productivity. However, should the employee become a bit too comfortable, the chair detects this and takes action to make them get back to work.

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Thu May 02, 2019 10:36 am UTC

ucim wrote:I'm confused. Are these Fahrenheit or Centigrade degrees of freedom?

Jose

Yes.

herbstschweigen

Postby herbstschweigen » Thu May 02, 2019 11:50 am UTC

Murphy's Office Chair Law: No matter how many adjustment options and degrees of freedom a chair has, it always lacks the one you would like it to have.
It's cooler up here.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Thu May 02, 2019 7:49 pm UTC

I'm thinking Cueball took the axiom of choice again, and wound up with more chair than he started with.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

solune

Postby solune » Fri May 03, 2019 4:40 pm UTC

Today I thought I would learn that you need the axiom of choice to prove the Banach-Tarski paradox.

Instead I learnt that
wikipedia wrote:The Hahn–Banach theorem does not rely on the full axiom of choice but can be proved using a weaker version of AC called the ultrafilter lemma.

Back on the chair business: my chair has several knobs that adjust the rigidity (or the freedomness) of other degrees of freedom.

Archgeek

Postby Archgeek » Fri May 03, 2019 6:27 pm UTC

solune wrote:Back on the chair business: my chair has several knobs that adjust the rigidity (or the freedomness) of other degrees of freedom.

Would you say those knobs are abridgments of the chair's freedoms? Possibly in violation of the Conschairstution?
"That big tube down the side was officially called a "systems tunnel", which is aerospace contractor speak for "big tube down the side."

jeaneallenn

Postby jeaneallenn » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:40 am UTC

Anyone using the X chair. My friend suggested me the X1 office chair. I want to give a try. The X2 version seems more comfortable than the X1.
Source: https://helloportable.com/x-chair-reviews/

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”