2140: Reinvent the Wheel

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SuicideJunkie

2140: Reinvent the Wheel

Postby SuicideJunkie » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:21 pm UTC

Title text: Right now it's a bicycle wheel, so we've had to move to lighter vehicles, but the reduced overhead is worth it. There was one week when a wheel of cheese got dangerously close to the first page, though.

Wheels are easy enough to implement yourself.
If you simply make a two dimensional disk, your storage requirements are minimal and there is only one edge case sharp enough to worry about.

rmsgrey

Re: 2140: Reinvent the Wheel

Postby rmsgrey » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:00 pm UTC

I favour a hectagonal wheel.

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:03 pm UTC

When I did a Google image search for "wheel" the first hit was a plastic caster. So if that's "pretty good" then Beret Guy's vehicles must be skate boards.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:54 pm UTC

(The blip'll show on Google stats, I'm sure.)

First match for me. 65mm probably makes for a size-restriction of vehicle (and/or a wheel supermultiplicity).

#2 is a bike wheel (no tyre/tube, so it'd be running on its rim). #3 is a Corsa "gunmetal gloss" car wheel rim-only. #4 similarly. #s5-8 have tyres!

#9 is a one-wheel skateboard, then fancy scooter-wheels, bike wheels, another rim. Shortly after, this "reinvention of the wheel", miss a few and an article about damage observed on one of the Mars rover's wheels, and another few further on is a bike wheel reinvented to be folded.

"NASA Reinvented The Wheel" pops up after a little more scrolling (following to get the URL link gives a number of other interesting NASA wheels), and just below DARPA gets in on the act (an intrusive cookie-permission thing on that link - which I'm not interested in allowing, so here's a different site's GIF**) , though I remember something similar to that from the '70s*, so not sure how much reinventing they actually did.

* Not one of my actual favourite wheels, from slightly earlier. And that's not obvious on the image-search page, showing that Google doesn't really love know me. Another of my favourite wheels is the omniwheel, which *I* unknowingly reinvented (with stiff wire and threaded beads acting as an extension to an existing model wheel rim) when I was a teenager. Only discovered that already existed after I'd half forgotten that particular tinkering project.

** edit: In hindsight, it appears that's best viewed by copying the URI and pasting it in your address-bar. Or I could have just img-tagged it, but didn't want to intrusively insert the image. Also, I'm willing to discuss the stupidity of the design, just for the sake of having a "wheel-looking track" in one of its modes.
Last edited by Soupspoon on Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

qvxb

Postby qvxb » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:58 pm UTC

Ah, the chrome reverse cheese wheel.

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:55 pm UTC

pinwheel.jpg

We should push this one to the top. It is wind powered and eco friendly.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:30 am UTC

RogueCynic wrote:pinwheel.jpg

We should push this one to the top. It is wind powered and eco friendly.

Eco-friendly? Looks plastic to me. What do you have against whales?

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:27 am UTC

Mikeski wrote:What do you have against whales?
"wheels", not "whales" :)
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:50 am UTC

I look forward to the time the Indian national flag comes up.

Showsni

Postby Showsni » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:01 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:(The blip'll show on Google stats, I'm sure.)

First match for me. 65mm probably makes for a size-restriction of vehicle (and/or a wheel supermultiplicity).

Same for me. Let's hope their vehicles are all small robot mobile platforms.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:33 pm UTC

You fools! It's not about wheels: it's a metaphor for StackOverflow. Aaaaaaaahhhhhhh!
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:37 pm UTC

"We here at npm Industries are proud to announce our new line of motor vehicles. We're pretty sure they won't suddenly lose the ability to move a specific number of lanes to the right."
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

Marsh'n

Postby Marsh'n » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:14 pm UTC

I'm fascinated at the difference at what is coming up for different people. Ignoring sponsored links (because obviously these would be influenced by who's currently paying for advertising as well as search history?) my first hit is a bicycle wheel and my second is a rim for a car tire (a.k.a. car tyre).

And clearly off topic, but does anyone know why there's no Wednesday comic yet?

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:41 pm UTC

Marsh'n wrote:I'm fascinated at the difference at what is coming up for different people. Ignoring sponsored links (because obviously these would be influenced by who's currently paying for advertising as well as search history?) my first hit is a bicycle wheel and my second is a rim for a car tire (a.k.a. car tyre).

I'm getting Pat Sajak and Vanna White.

Sandor

Postby Sandor » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:57 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:[...] and just below DARPA gets in on the act (an intrusive cookie-permission thing on that link - which I'm not interested in allowing, so here's a different site's GIF**) , though I remember something similar to that from the '70s*, so not sure how much reinventing they actually did.

** edit: In hindsight, it appears that's best viewed by copying the URI and pasting it in your address-bar. Or I could have just img-tagged it, but didn't want to intrusively insert the image. Also, I'm willing to discuss the stupidity of the design, just for the sake of having a "wheel-looking track" in one of its modes.

It's not just a wheel-looking track, the whole thing rotates in wheel mode. You can't see that in the second GIF you posted, but you can in the GIF from the first link.

I imagine wheel mode will be a lot more efficient than track mode, so the wheel/track hybrid might worth the complexity for some applications.

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:03 am UTC

Code: Select all

pip install --upgrade --force-reinvent wheel
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:57 pm UTC

Sandor wrote:It's not just a wheel-looking track, the whole thing rotates in wheel mode. You can't see that in the second GIF you posted, but you can in the GIF from the first link.

I imagine wheel mode will be a lot more efficient than track mode, so the wheel/track hybrid might worth the complexity for some applications.

It's even more like that '70s concept I recall*, then, but hopefully more robust.

A lot of weak-points, though. Even if the mini track running-/guide-wheels aren't rotating at high RPM (when the track is stationary compared to them) they're getting pounded, through the trackbed, as the unit rotates and presents each of them to the ground once every major-wheel revolution. The use of non-running guides pressing out between the corner-wheels during its round-phase (perhaps even closing over them, to save at least some of this pounding) might be one of the innovations, hard to tell from the brief clip.

But with the rotating body itself having actuators to change the geometry between modes, which has to work across the major-wheel axle rotation… Doable, obviously, but adds much complexity to the wheel-linkage. Just what you need for an all-terrain, militarily-hardened vehicle(!) We might be able to assume an armoured 'hub-cap' (and hub-ring on the inside too, both extending across the best compromise extent between triangular and circular profile) not there in the PoC/demo model, and of course moved more in-board with a tighter packing towards the centre-line to match a Plain-Old-Wheel location (ideally without having to retrofit shorter suspension-arms) as well, though it might need a slight compromise, or a brand new vehicle whose chassis and hull is designed with the differing wheelbase.

In many ways, it goes against KISS. The undoubted benefits of both running profiles still expose it to a bunch of disadvantages that I can't see being made reliably combat-ready.

* Can't find any pictures of it, but in case you're able to decipher my description of it, consider it the bastard-child of both the Tristar- and Omni-wheel setup. It had polystars of mini-wheels at the rim whose axles were parallel-to-main-axle, or rather several of these narrow wheellet rings offset to smooth the 'chunky tread' effect, all gear/shaft linked to the central hub's free-spinning 'input', a bit like a planetary gear, but so that torque passed to it would push mini-wheel rotation and/or wheel-of-wheels rotation in the same direction. But if the mini-wheels rotate, some torque (perhaps some sort of limited-slip-diff kind of intervention?) also goes through to extend a pantographic system to distort the mini-wheel positions out into that sort triangular layout (vitally, extending the corners to make a larger profile, not retracting the sides), and when power/stress cuts back it springs back to 'round', entirely automatic to the conditions with no external (and thus along the half-axle) input, or driver choice. It just works on where the rolling-resistance is/is not between the two drive modes. Or was supposed to. I imagine it had several issues, especially with wheel-slippage sapping power and possible uneven 'deployment' of each major-wheel according to its own conditions.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”