2114: "Launch Conditions"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Reka

2114: "Launch Conditions"

Postby Reka » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:48 pm UTC

Title text: Though I do think the tiny vent on one of the boosters labeled "O-RING" is in poor taste.

OK, someone needs to make this humidifier a reality, because I NEEDS IT.

(I used to have an ultrasonic-type humidifier that looked like a dragon, but (1) the "smoke" didn't come out of its nostrils, and (2) like all ultrasonic humidifiers, it died after a fairly short time.)

hamjudo

Re: 2114: "Launch Conditions"

Postby hamjudo » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:21 pm UTC

The humidifier will need a place for dry ice or something else for cooling so the humid air will form a fog that hugs the floor, or other "launch" surface.

jello34543

Postby jello34543 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:29 pm UTC

hamjudo wrote:The humidifier will need a place for dry ice or something else for cooling so the humid air will form a fog that hugs the floor, or other "launch" surface.

If you use some sort of refrigeration system, you can even dump the excess heat into the water reservoir to make it evaporate more easily. (seems like there should be a better word than evaporate, especially for non-steam humidification, but I can't think of it)

This needs to exist.

Old Bruce

Postby Old Bruce » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:38 pm UTC

jello34543 wrote:
hamjudo wrote:The humidifier will need a place for dry ice or something else for cooling so the humid air will form a fog that hugs the floor, or other "launch" surface.

If you use some sort of refrigeration system, you can even dump the excess heat into the water reservoir to make it evaporate more easily. (seems like there should be a better word than evaporate, especially for non-steam humidification, but I can't think of it)

This needs to exist.

Sporje

Reka

Postby Reka » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:39 pm UTC

Ultrasonic humidifiers tend to do this without any extraneous intervention. In fact, they tend to have nozzles specifically aimed upwards to counteract this tendency.

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:34 pm UTC

jello34543 wrote:

This needs to exist.

A better word than "evaporate" would be "suspend", since this kind of non-steam humidification generates water droplets small enough to be suspended by air. But I don't think I've ever really heard "suspend" used that way.

Anyway, I have a feeling that even with steam humidification you get to an equilibrium state with micro-droplets pretty quickly.

Archgeek

Postby Archgeek » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:56 pm UTC

Heimhenge wrote:
jello34543 wrote:

This needs to exist.

A better word than "evaporate" would be "suspend", since this kind of non-steam humidification generates water droplets small enough to be suspended by air. But I don't think I've ever really heard "suspend" used that way.

Anyway, I have a feeling that even with steam humidification you get to an equilibrium state with micro-droplets pretty quickly.

"Atomize"? The sort of small droplet generation the ultrasonics engage in seems fairly similar to that historically performed by various misnomer'd things called atomizers, I think.
"That big tube down the side was officially called a "systems tunnel", which is aerospace contractor speak for "big tube down the side."

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:36 am UTC

jello34543 wrote:(seems like there should be a better word than evaporate, especially for non-steam humidification, but I can't think of it)

I propose 'dialesce', as the opposite of coalesce.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:08 pm UTC

Mikeski wrote:
jello34543 wrote:(seems like there should be a better word than evaporate, especially for non-steam humidification, but I can't think of it)

I propose 'dialesce', as the opposite of coalesce.

"aerosolize"
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

jonhaug

Postby jonhaug » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:23 pm UTC

According to https://interestingengineering.com/nasa ... -exploding the water amount used is around one 50 m Olympic swimming pool per minute (according to my Back-of-the-envelope calculation). Trying downscale this to Ponytail's humidifier (factor 300 in all three dimensions?), it looks like this humidifier should produce 1,5 liter water steam (droplets?) per minute. In an hour or so ...

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:05 pm UTC

( olympic pool/minute) * (300)^-3 =

(2,500,000 L/minute) / (27,000,000) =

0.104 liters per minute.

Such a humidifier (or any humidifier producing visible fog really) would need to run intermittently and would leave the countertop wet when it runs.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Keyman

Postby Keyman » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:21 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:( olympic pool/minute) * (300)^-3 =

(2,500,000 L/minute) / (27,000,000) =

0.104 liters per minute.

Such a humidifier (or any humidifier producing visible fog really) would need to run intermittently and would leave the countertop wet when it runs.

Pshaw! Small price to pay vs. coolness factor. .
Nothing could be more ill-judged than that intolerant spirit which has, at all times, characterized political parties. - A. Hamilton

Aubri

Postby Aubri » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:43 pm UTC

I already have an ultrasonic humidifier but I need this.

And yes, it would wet the counter... unless the vapor came out of a model flame trench!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”