Page 1 of 1

0042: "Geico"

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:30 pm UTC
by Farabor
Image

Title/alt-text: "David did this"


Hmm, could David be Black Hat guy's actual name?

Note: In keeping with the spirit and letter Felstaff's "new" forum rules as of 2010, I'm going to post no more than one old missing XKCD a week, likely less, as I try to come up with something interesting to say about them. Unless someone else beats me to it...but hey, they all deserve some love!

Re: 0042: "Geico"

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:44 pm UTC
by speising
What David are you talking about?

Re: 0042: "Geico"

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:24 pm UTC
by Pfhorrest
The title text is "David did this".

Re: 0042: "Geico"

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:20 pm UTC
by Soupspoon
Pfhorrest wrote:The title text is "David did this".

I had to go and check, myself.

OP: you might want to add this info, as per the current template, even if other (long-time threaded) older comics may remain deficient. It first looked to me like the "Hmm" bit was the Title/Hover/Alt*-text, rather than your response.


I also suspect it's some cultural reference (TV advert?), at least of the time it was created. But I'm also left wondering if you give a false name during threats used to get cheaper car insurance… are you covered?



((* - Alt is the only wrong term there, given that the Alt is not the Title param revealed by Hovering, but old terminologies die hard. ;)))

Re: 0042: "Geico"

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:45 pm UTC
by WriteBrainedJR
Soupspoon wrote:I also suspect it's some cultural reference (TV advert?), at least of the time it was created.

The insurance company Geico used the phrase "I just saved a bunch of money on car insurance by switching to Geico" in a bunch of different ads. I remember both TV and radio spots, and several different ads that used the phrase in each medium. They may have made billboards and magazine ads, and I just didn't see them because I don't look at billboards and I only got 3 magazine back when I got magazines, which was 5 years ago. Plus I didn't pay attention to the ads in those.

Re: 0042: "Geico"

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:08 pm UTC
by Soupspoon
I was thinking more of the "David did this" quote. I could imagine an advert for a DIY tool bench, Photoshop, "Learn Ice Sculpturing In Your Free Time" partwork publication, LEGO/Mechano/other-building-toy, etc where "David did this" was the optimistically aspirational tagline, which got merged with the Geico one.

But it probably wasn't used over this side of the Pond (or I just didn't notice it). For some reason I know about Geico (although also not in this area, that I know of), perhaps a different transatlantic reference that mentioned it.

Re: 0042: "Geico"

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:46 am UTC
by WriteBrainedJR
Soupspoon wrote:I was thinking more of the "David did this" quote. I could imagine an advert for a DIY tool bench, Photoshop, "Learn Ice Sculpturing In Your Free Time" partwork publication, LEGO/Mechano/other-building-toy, etc where "David did this" was the optimistically aspirational tagline, which got merged with the Geico one.

But it probably wasn't used over this side of the Pond (or I just didn't notice it). For some reason I know about Geico (although also not in this area, that I know of), perhaps a different transatlantic reference that mentioned it.

Geico is pretty famous for their creative advertising, although "I just saved a bunch of money by switching to Geico" does not really fall into that category.

If someone told me that "David did this" was a reference, I'd assume it was from a conspiracy thriller where the protagonist knows that David is some kingpin of human corruption and nobody else believes him (or her).

Re: 0042: "Geico"

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:19 pm UTC
by hetas
Soupspoon wrote:((* - Alt is the only wrong term there, given that the Alt is not the Title param revealed by Hovering, but old terminologies die hard. ;)))


m.xkcd.com says ”alt-text” so I would say it's an alt-text of the comic saved in the html title-attribute.

Re: 0042: "Geico"

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:42 pm UTC
by Archgeek
hetas wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:((* - Alt is the only wrong term there, given that the Alt is not the Title param revealed by Hovering, but old terminologies die hard. ;)))


m.xkcd.com says ”alt-text” so I would say it's an alt-text of the comic saved in the html title-attribute.

Not quite. The alt-text a-quoted says simply "Geico" and is that which appears when the image proper fails to load, or is read by screenreader software for stuff like ADA workstations.
The title text is a different animal, stating "David did this", and requires a tap to reveal, (in a yellow bar on Android).

So, it's title text, and naught else, for alt-text is a different attribute used for a different purpose.