2060: "Hygrometer"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

cellocgw

2060: "Hygrometer"

Postby cellocgw » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:33 pm UTC

Title Text: "I'm working on assembling a combination declinometer, sclerometer, viscometer, aleurometer, stalagmometer, and hypsometer. I'm making good progress according to my ometerometer, a device which shows the rate at which I'm acquiring measurement devices"

FIRST IN:
sarcasmometer. Pronounced "sar-cazz - MOMeter"

A rarely-used device due to a propensity to destructive input overload.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Re: 2060: "Hygrometer"

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:40 pm UTC

(Proper-format version deleted, as it's now been (mostly!) corrected.)
My firstpostometer, however, indicated a number of errors with the post I'm replying to, so I'm putting a good version here until Mods can work out what to do.

Never mind, though change those HTMLified apostrophes into natural ones, if that's not the next thing on your list of changes,

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:10 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:(Proper-format version deleted, as it's now been (mostly!) corrected.)

Never mind, though change those HTMLified apostrophes into natural ones, if that's not the next thing on your list of changes,

Hey, I sorta like those &..; thingies; they bring out the inherent kludginess of HTML, as well as the low quality of the software behind most sites like this. ;-)

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:26 pm UTC

The software isn't low-quality. It's rendering input text as it was input, by way of the route that other truly literal text has to travel via HTTP's sending and retrieval paths. Formatting markup is deliberately BBCode, not HTML. It's possible that it might be told to directly use <em>some</em> web hypertext stuff (did it?) and can be filtered to make it BBCode in the 'official' plaintext copy ready to be backconverted, but once we start with conversions and back-conversions we're also liable to see abominations such as &amp;amp;, &amp;cetera, because of changing ideas of literalism.

(And this fuss is because the charset and span of reserved characters used behind your browser's appreciation of a fetched page is simpler than that which the forum layer sat atop it can handle, at least one OSI level above the HTML one. Kludgy HTML, I wouldn't argue, but most forum software is vastly more flexible, such that it has to be locked down from its full string-handling caoabilitiea to prevent arbitrary exploits. Hence why I'd probably have a hard time putting an aubergine emoji here, I suspect, should I want to.)

Edit: Whoops! I just overloaded my explanometer! And the em-tag wasn't passed through 'naturally', but was (quite rightly, on general principle) protected against by making it the literal text (via &lt; and &gt; conversion) it was deemed to need to be.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:33 pm UTC

killometer

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:38 pm UTC

Always be suspicious of people who are using speedometers at the beach.

sociotard

Postby sociotard » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:40 pm UTC

My I interest you in this book of poetry in Iambic Pentameter?

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:06 pm UTC

sociotard wrote:My I interest you in this book of poetry in Iambic Pentameter?

well, ... not really
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:10 pm UTC

I have a large collection of nanometers I'd be willing to share.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:19 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:I have a large collection of nanometers I'd be willing to share.

I bet they go off the charts in an elderly home.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:24 pm UTC

In one of my calculus classes, the professor offered us extra credit on an assignment if we could name a device used for direct measurement of arc length. He refused to accept my response of "opisometer", even after I brought one, in its case, to class.

(I think it later developed he was looking for "spline".)

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:07 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:
Sableagle wrote:I have a large collection of nanometers I'd be willing to share.

:) Seriously, though, a micrometer is a thing (for measuring in the micrometre range), so why shouldn't there be a nanometer? (I guess British English is unusual in having distinct spellings. Other languages tend to go for -er or -re for both the unit and the instrument. It's almost as though we want to be both in and out of Europe at the same time...).
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:35 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
Flumble wrote:

:) Seriously, though, a micrometer is a thing (for measuring in the micrometre range), so why shouldn't there be a nanometer? (I guess British English is unusual in having distinct spellings. Other languages tend to go for -er or -re for both the unit and the instrument. It's almost as though we want to be both in and out of Europe at the same time...).

So my "caliper" should be a "centometer". Or maybe a "millometer".

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:37 pm UTC

Heimhenge wrote:So my "caliper" should be a "centometer".
No, a centometer counts low-denomination coins. And a millometer counts grain processing plants.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

The Devils Engineer

Postby The Devils Engineer » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:42 pm UTC

This comic has to be directed towards me. I own multiple micrometers, a chronometer and really really want a barometer. Not the electronic kind but a real, honest to goodness mercury stick one. And the chronometer, a 1940's Hamilton Watch Company made one, is one of the most beautifully made mechanical clocks every made.
“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.”
“The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.”

― Mark Twain

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:38 pm UTC

ucim wrote:No, a centometer counts low-denomination coins. And a millometer counts grain processing plants.
Jose
Those dollar-store millometers are a waste of money.
On the other hand, a professional grade millometer will take the quality, size, and duty cycle of the mills into account.

PS:
I can't wait until advances in technology allow megameters to be miniaturized to the point where we can all have one in our garages.
The BBC has been broadcasting the ads for decades, but these things always seem to remain another 20 years away.

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:46 pm UTC

SuicideJunkie wrote:I can't wait until advances in technology allow megameters to be miniaturized to the point where we can all have one in our garages.
The BBC has been broadcasting the ads for decades, but these things always seem to remain another 20 years away.
That explains a lot of politics. The US media has been deploying magameters instead.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

JohnTheWysard

Postby JohnTheWysard » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:22 pm UTC

If you manage to find an altheliometer, be sure you understand how to use it properly before you get into trouble.

J%r

Postby J%r » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:25 pm UTC

I have a meter that measures a character in Star Trek: DS9. Or was it overdoses? I forgot, I left it in the car.

speising

Postby speising » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:59 pm UTC

J%r wrote:I have a meter that measures a character in Star Trek: DS9. Or was it overdoses? I forgot, I left it in the car.

no, that's for measuring how much you stink.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:19 pm UTC

JohnTheWysard wrote:If you manage to find an altheliometer, be sure you understand how to use it properly before you get into trouble.

Alethiometer. From "alethos", truth.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:30 pm UTC

J%r wrote:I have a meter that measures a character in Star Trek: DS9.

That'd be a Mil(esO'Brien)ometer, yes? Or does one perchance mean someone, if not -thing, else? ;)

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:49 pm UTC

An odometer measures samples of things to identify them, but always outputs "unknown".

It's not a very useful meter.

cphoenix

Postby cphoenix » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:08 pm UTC

Then I saw this article on photochemistry in an NMR analysis setup http://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2018/10/17/blue-light-coming-out-of-the-nmr...

which led to this abstract: https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs.orglett.8b00391...

which contains the phrase "well-known chemical actinometers potassium ferrioxalate and o-nitrobenzaldehyde"

If Randall needs to own anything with "ometer" in the name, he'd better get friendly with a chemical supply house! On the other hand, he did specify "device" and it's arguable whether (most) chemicals are devices or not.

qvxb

Postby qvxb » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:23 pm UTC

"My I interest you in this book of poetry in Iambic Pentameter?"

Iambic - therefore I write - inexpensively.

leeharveyosmond

Postby leeharveyosmond » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:33 am UTC

JohnTheWysard wrote:If you manage to find an altheliometer, be sure you understand how to use it properly before you get into trouble.

Sooner an atheliometer than a swingometer

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:54 am UTC

Micrometers, nanometers, those I like. But Randall can have my picometer. It's too hard to use, since it measures how many times you've observed it measuring things.

It's like quantum mechanics in reverse; it's only in a known state when it's not being observed.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:47 am UTC

"Picometer" as an instrument rather than a measurement (different pronunciation, naturally) sounds like it should measure chicken sounds.

pək pək pək pə 'kɔ mə dɹ

("puk puk puk puKAWmeter" for the philistines)

Old Bruce

Postby Old Bruce » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:50 am UTC

Flumble wrote:

Huh?
... unless you meant home for the aged in which case ... Groan.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:05 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
J%r wrote:I have a meter that measures a character in Star Trek: DS9.

That'd be a Mil(esO'Brien)ometer, yes? Or does one perchance mean someone, if not -thing, else? ;)

My nogometer only gets used around New Year's Eve.

Ae7flux

Postby Ae7flux » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:18 am UTC

Surely a Picometer is a device to measure the number of times the bridge crew perform the Picard maneuver in any given episode of STTNG.
There is an x such that x entirely fails to signify just in case x lacks a specific combination of rotary and reciprocating motion.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:58 am UTC

It measures a variety of chips, surely. (Silicon ones. Not the ones that aren't fries or aren't crisps.)

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:23 am UTC

I heard of a proposed design my a Yattometer to measure how Louisianan someone's speech patterns are, but the whole thing was more than I could take in.

Spoiler:
From people who, instead of asking "Where are you?" ask "Where (are) you at?" and pronounce it "We're yatt."
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:37 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:(I guess British English is unusual in having distinct spellings. Other languages tend to go for -er or -re for both the unit and the instrument. It's almost as though we want to be both in and out of Europe at the same time...).

You put your left wing in; you put your right wing out; in; out; in; out; shake it all about...

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:05 pm UTC

You do the Hokey Pokey and you turn yourself around. That’s what it’s all about.

Archgeek

Postby Archgeek » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:15 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
orthogon wrote:(I guess British English is unusual in having distinct spellings. Other languages tend to go for -er or -re for both the unit and the instrument. It's almost as though we want to be both in and out of Europe at the same time...).

You put your left wing in; you put your right wing out; in; out; in; out; shake it all about...

ijuin wrote:You do the Hokey Pokey and you turn yourself around. That’s what it’s all about.

... *Pictures a circle of birds with an old phonograph dancing the Hokey Pokey*
"That big tube down the side was officially called a "systems tunnel", which is aerospace contractor speak for "big tube down the side."

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”