2047: "Beverages"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Lode

2047: "Beverages"

Postby Lode » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:53 pm UTC

Title text: "If I wait a while, it's not so bad, because then it's just shaped like me, plus some pipes and tanks and probably eventually all of Earth's oceans."

I don't like the shape of this one at all...

Heimhenge

Re: 2047: "Beverages"

Postby Heimhenge » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:23 pm UTC

I have a hard time believing the esophagus bulges that much when swallowing liquids.

MrT2

Postby MrT2 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:15 pm UTC

If he waits a bit longer, it takes the shape of multiple other people too.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:59 pm UTC

Heimhenge wrote:I have a hard time believing the esophagus bulges that much when swallowing liquids.

His x-ray machine has a fish-eye lens.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:17 pm UTC

Don't like the look of it? Hey, no sweat!

Until later.

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:59 pm UTC

What shape does your stomach take when drinking carbonated beverages?
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

kroywen

Postby kroywen » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:18 pm UTC

Why are there two disconnected parts to the right of the stomach?

qvxb

Postby qvxb » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:12 pm UTC

sonar1313

Postby sonar1313 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:34 am UTC

That thing looks like my congressional district.

SDK

Postby SDK » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:45 pm UTC

kroywen wrote:Why are there two disconnected parts to the right of the stomach?

The stomach can get a bit sloshy.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

speising

Postby speising » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:28 pm UTC

Better question: why is there no disconnect between mouth and stomach? How does he swallow?

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:32 pm UTC

speising wrote:How does he swallow?
Like a home-made Lara Croft animation.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

Archgeek

Postby Archgeek » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:15 pm UTC

speising wrote:

Better question: why is there no disconnect between mouth and stomach? How does he swallow?

I think that's either meant to represent the technique known as guzzling, wherein one makes to hold their epiglottis firmly to their trachea, permitting fluids to be cast directly into the esophagus via the craw;
or a thin film of the beverage under consumption adhering to the esophageal wall in the regions involved in the disturbingly long peristaltic contractions pictured (assuming the bulge depicted is only a minor distension of the meat-tube's usual radius).
"That big tube down the side was officially called a "systems tunnel", which is aerospace contractor speak for "big tube down the side."

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:30 pm UTC

Or the aliens from The Abyss are actually probing our subject…

ObsoleteNerd

Postby ObsoleteNerd » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:35 pm UTC

Look up Barium Swallow Tests. You can basically see this comic IRL. They're pretty freaky.

Archgeek

Postby Archgeek » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:59 pm UTC

ObsoleteNerd wrote:Look up Barium Swallow Tests. You can basically see this comic IRL. They're pretty freaky.

Oooh, I've done one of those before. They were checking the extent of a gastric fistula (remnant of a neo-natal feeding tube) that had opened up enough to become a middle-school annoyance. The stuff tasted like if La Croix came in vanilla, and had been mixed into a vat of liquid chalk.
"That big tube down the side was officially called a "systems tunnel", which is aerospace contractor speak for "big tube down the side."

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:18 pm UTC

Archgeek wrote:
ObsoleteNerd wrote:Look up Barium Swallow Tests. You can basically see this comic IRL. They're pretty freaky.

Oooh, I've done one of those before. They were checking the extent of a gastric fistula (remnant of a neo-natal feeding tube) that had opened up enough to become a middle-school annoyance. The stuff tasted like if La Croix came in vanilla, and had been mixed into a vat of liquid chalk.

I can beat that. I've had a technetium swallow test, when they were looking for signs of "Meckels diverticulitis" (the zebra they look for when they hear the hoofbeats of bleeding ulcers and have already eliminated all the horses that endoscopy, MRI, colonoscopy and capsule endoscopy might find). It was kind of fun having a gut containing an element that doesn't exist in nature. (But 'twas the prep for the colonoscopy that tasted worse than any description you can come up with for barium.)

The most interesting procedure I've had done in the last ten years was an echocardiogram. Turns out I've got an arrhythmia that bothers my doctor a lot more than it does me. But I got to watch my heart beat on the screen (until they made me turn over to the other side), with the valves opening and closing, and sometimes bouncing like a leaky toilet tank flapper before seating squarely.

The human body is an endlessly entertaining thing.

Archgeek

Postby Archgeek » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:01 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:
Archgeek wrote:The stuff tasted like if La Croix came in vanilla, and had been mixed into a vat of liquid chalk.

I can beat that. I've had a technetium swallow test, when they were looking for signs of "Meckels diverticulitis" (the zebra they look for when they hear the hoofbeats of bleeding ulcers and have already eliminated all the horses that endoscopy, MRI, colonoscopy and capsule endoscopy might find). It was kind of fun having a gut containing an element that doesn't exist in nature. (But 'twas the prep for the colonoscopy that tasted worse than any description you can come up with for barium.)

The most interesting procedure I've had done in the last ten years was an echocardiogram. Turns out I've got an arrhythmia that bothers my doctor a lot more than it does me. But I got to watch my heart beat on the screen (until they made me turn over to the other side), with the valves opening and closing, and sometimes bouncing like a leaky toilet tank flapper before seating squarely.

The human body is an endlessly entertaining thing.

Oooh, Tc isn't something most get to say they've worked with, much less consumed.

I wasn't implying that the barium tasted bad, only that it was astonishingly bland. Basically liquid chalk. They tried to flavour it with vanilla, but it was far too weak to overcome the bland chalkiness of the barium, hence the comparison of the flavouring agent to the incredibly bland (like someone in another room yelled the name of a fruit in the direction of a can of seltzer) beverage.

Many things taste far worse than barium, including coconut (for me, anyway), and graham crackers that mysteriously smell like a home improvement store.

Echo-cardiogram sounds dang neat.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”