1873: "Email Reply"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

jozwa

1873: "Email Reply"

Postby jozwa » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:48 pm UTC

Title text: I would be honored, but I know I don't belong in your network. The person you invited was someone who had not yet inflicted this two-year ordeal upon you. I'm no longer that person..

Ah, I remember when a coworker invited me to LinkedIn. Of course I had to accept such a personal invite. I didn't know you felt this way. This is a small honor.

Turns out LinkedIn sends invitations automatically.

cellocgw

Re: 1873: "Email Reply"

Postby cellocgw » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:13 pm UTC

2-year delay is a minor problem, psychologically speaking.

What creeps me out is getting "Hey, It's $NAME's birthday / work anniversary..." when I happen to know that $NAME died 3 years ago.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:26 pm UTC

I seem to get many people with African names invite me to LinkedIn, upon my main real-name email account.

Generously, it's possible that my non-African surname might be being interpreted by the invite-'bots as trans-Mediterranean1 and more likely to ferment a sense of half-forgotten familiarity with the sender than "Charlie Smith", "Ragnar Olafson"or "Kim Jong-Claude Sitting-Buffalo Petrovich Singh Ali san".

The only verifiably 'genuine' invite I've seen is when my actual ex-boss invited a relative of mine, earlier this year. I have no idea why. Or if it was intentional rather than some sneaky background contact-list farming combined with trial-and-error to try to reach me, like the "Here's people you might know" thing that I've seen Facebook overzealously try to do for new signups.

1 "Across Between-the-land"? What convoluted construction is this?

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:33 pm UTC

It recently told me that one of my contacts had been in the news. It was a completely different person of the same (fairly common) name, of course. I don't think we need to fear the Singularity from that quarter.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Ken_g6

Postby Ken_g6 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:51 pm UTC

Between the last comic and this one, I'm starting to think Randall needs a vacation. Without technology.

deusrex

Postby deusrex » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:21 pm UTC

Wow, he got through 7 years of his email backlog since January...well done.
https://xkcd.com/1783/

Zowayix

Postby Zowayix » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:01 pm UTC

Oh god this is exactly me.

armorsmith42

Postby armorsmith42 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:40 pm UTC

As the kids say these days, "it me".

But luckily, this comic gives me an excuse to go through and send all those replies.
I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul

6.626068 × 10-34 m^2 kg / s

StClair

Postby StClair » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:12 pm UTC

Me too.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:38 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:Generously, it's possible that my non-African surname might be being interpreted by the invite-'bots as trans-Mediterranean1 and more likely to ferment a sense of half-forgotten familiarity with the sender than "Charlie Smith", "Ragnar Olafson"or "Kim Jong-Claude Sitting-Buffalo Petrovich Singh Ali san".
Kim Jong-Claude Sitting-Buffalo Petrovich Singh Ali san
Thaaat's my name toooooooo!
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:00 pm UTC

The barrier to replying for e-mail is orders of magnitude lower than when you used to have to find some paper, an envelope and a stamp, write out the message, look up and write out the address, and take it to the postbox. And yet, it feels almost as much of an effort. (Conversely, replying to an Instant Message feels as easy as chatting to somebody).

Pseudo-edit: I'm thinking more about personal e-mails, on reflection. Work e-mails are much easier.

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:04 pm UTC

jozwa wrote:
Turns out LinkedIn sends invitations automatically.

Shit, is that for real! I was wondering how some of those "inviters" thought I could be of any value in their network. People I never met and people with totally different skills/goals. I've been way too courteous ... will treat those as spam henceforth.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:08 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:Pseudo-edit: I'm thinking more about personal e-mails, on reflection. Work e-mails are much easier.

Too easy?

(An old one, but still a good one.)

Quizatzhaderac wrote:Kim Jong-Claude Sitting-Buffalo Petrovich Singh Ali san
But do you pronounce it like "Raymond Luxury Yacht"?

Omegaman

Postby Omegaman » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:00 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:Generously, it's possible that my non-African surname might be being interpreted by the invite-'bots as trans-Mediterranean1 and more likely to ferment a sense of half-forgotten familiarity with the sender than "Charlie Smith", "Ragnar Olafson"or "Kim Jong-Claude Sitting-Buffalo Petrovich Singh Ali san".
Kim Jong-Claude Sitting-Buffalo Petrovich Singh Ali san

Whenever you go out, do people always shout, "There goes Kim Jong-Claude Sitting-Buffalo Petrovich Singh Ali san!"?

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:33 am UTC

Just the other day I got this sketchy Linkedin invitation that was entirely in Italian. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to think about that. It looked just like a normal Linkedin invitation, only it was in Italian. It was "from" somebody I know is just a normal American who probably doesn't have a Linkedin account.

Although my inbox is "clean", I'm just as bad as everybody else. I shove basically everything into the archive and forget about it. Either that or use the "send it to me later" my email app has.

LockeZ

Postby LockeZ » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:16 am UTC

You know, I don't think I've ever gotten a fake LinkedIn invitation. I only ever get them from people I'm facebook friends with. Aren't LinkedIn and Facebook accounts the same thing now, actually? I think you just have a LinkedIn account if you're a human being, since you get one by signing up for Facebook, which has more users than the planet has humans.

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:13 am UTC

LockeZ wrote:You know, I don't think I've ever gotten a fake LinkedIn invitation. I only ever get them from people I'm facebook friends with. Aren't LinkedIn and Facebook accounts the same thing now, actually? I think you just have a LinkedIn account if you're a human being, since you get one by signing up for Facebook, which has more users than the planet has humans.

LinkedIn is owned by Microsoft. Facebook is owned by Mark Zuckerberg. The only thing the companies have in common is that they were both created by Harvard drop outs.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

LockeZ

Postby LockeZ » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:02 am UTC

Interesting, I guess it's because I have a Microsoft account then.

Do people actually get lots of fake LinkedIn invitations? I get them from people sometimes, but I assumed that it was because they have jobs that depend on networking, and want to be able to remind as many people as possible that they exist. I just looked through my inbox and found one from a real estate agent I used three years ago.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:20 am UTC

LockeZ wrote:I think you just have a LinkedIn account if you're a human being, since you get one by signing up for Facebook, which has more users than the planet has humans.

*does not have Facebook account - wonders who might have one in my name*

(I just did a brief, external, search for possibilities. A number of colonial settlements of my name (or sports teams based there) have group Facebook pages, as expected, but not the original (unremarkable) place whose existence (and settlers, and descendents) originally inspired them. And there's a German retail park. Which intruiges me. 'Scuse me, off researching why on Earth it might have that title.)

Spoiler:
((Nope, no indication. Might be from some obscure run-on Germanic acronyms or similar. Other than that, and some insignificant Tolkien, the big search (98 pages/redirects on Wikipedia!) has a load of likely very distant relatives/kinspeople (famous or otherwise), things created by them and places founded by them (or named in their honour) all across the British Empire. And in Antarctica. There you go, my third ever once-a-decade "Googling Myself" session concluded.))

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:54 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:[...] settlements of my name [...] places founded by them (or named in their honour) [...]

I am disappoint to find that there's no such place as Soupspoon, Colorado.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:17 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:[...] settlements of my name [...] places founded by them (or named in their honour) [...]

I am disappoint to find that there's no such place as Soupspoon, Colorado.

Well, there's Spoon..!

(OTOH, there are two other states with places matching my RL identity. I think that's enough clues, though. Or Mrs Power Cable will worry I'm telling you too much...)

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:12 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:Well, there's Spoon..!

Hah. I always get cuchara and cuchillo confused. The words are far too similar for objects that are found in the same drawer. (I have the same problem in French with plafond and plancher). If I were a proscriptivistprescriptivist, I'd impose minimum distance properties on languages.

EDIT: Best add prescribe and proscribe to the list...

speising

Postby speising » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:35 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:Well, there's Spoon..!

Hah. I always get cuchara and cuchillo confused. The words are far too similar for objects that are found in the same drawer. (I have the same problem in French with plafond and plancher). If I were a proscriptivistprescriptivist, I'd impose minimum distance properties on languages.

EDIT: Best add prescribe and proscribe to the list...

I remember it by their gender. a knife is much more masculine than a spoon, don't you think?

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:38 pm UTC

I am literally some pixels on a screen

speising wrote:I remember it by their gender. a knife is much more masculine than a spoon, don't you think?
jesus fucking christ
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:59 pm UTC

speising wrote:I remember it by their gender. a knife is much more masculine than a spoon, don't you think?

Das Messer, der Löffel...? (Die Bart, Die Gabel!)

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:04 pm UTC

Weeks wrote:I am literally some pixels on a screen

jesus fucking christ

If you prefer, over 90% of victims of knife crime in England and Wales are men. (Oddly, that document doesn't give a breakdown of convicted perpetrators by gender, but I suspect we could all take a guess).

An unfortunate feature of mnemonics is that they work better the coarser or more offensive they are [citation needed]. I'm grateful that nobody ever told me that infamous one for the resistor colour code.

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:13 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
Weeks wrote:I am literally some pixels on a screen

jesus fucking christ

If you prefer, over 90% of victims of knife crime in England and Wales are men. (Oddly, that document doesn't give a breakdown of convicted perpetrators by gender, but I suspect we could all take a guess).

An unfortunate feature of mnemonics is that they work better the coarser or more offensive they are [citation needed]. I'm grateful that nobody ever told me that infamous one for the resistor colour code.
ok
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

speising

Postby speising » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:35 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:

Das Messer, der Löffel...? (Die Bart, Die Gabel!)

Thankfully, i don't need mnemonics for german.

trpmb6

Postby trpmb6 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:50 pm UTC

I think me new favorite thing about Linkedin is all the bot accounts that automatically reply to any post with "I'm interested, please see my profile"

A guy posted a rant about seeing that very thing on his (and other) recruiter's posts. The best part was, there were about 500 to 600 replies, all of them were "I'm interested, see my profile" type responses. I :lol:
(terran/protoss/zerg/fascist fuck)

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:21 pm UTC

I read a study once that showed that Germans and Spaniards though about keys (and some other examples) differently; at least in-so-far as word associations go. Germans thought of them as solid, sturdy, pointy things, Spaniards as small, pretty, elegant things. For those that don't speak German and Spanish: keys are male in German and female in Spain.

I'd say once you get beyond things that have genitals, grammatical gender is going to be a crapshoot outside of your own culture. For me, at least, it doesn't make that much send to describe knives in general as being masculine (maybe the "That's not a knuife, this is a knuife" knuife from Crocodile Dundee, but then again, that's a knuife, not a knife.)
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:36 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:I read a study once that showed that Germans and Spaniards though about keys (and some other examples) differently; at least in-so-far as word associations go. Germans thought of them as solid, sturdy, pointy things, Spaniards as small, pretty, elegant things. For those that don't speak German and Spanish: keys are male in German and female in Spain.

A study (a study, if not the one) is linked to from here, an article that goes into the phenomenon.

(I've been trying to find the classic example, from German, in which "the little English miss, it is wearing a fine dress", and other non-obvious gender-changers. For personal satisfaction only. It must have gone the way of "My postilion has been struck by lightning", though, as a language example forgotten in the Internet age.)

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:03 pm UTC

Are you thinking of Samuel Celment's "the awful German language"? It contains "Tale of the Fishwife and its Sad Fate" which highlights that fishwife is neuter, while rain, hail, snow, mud, scale, mouth, are all gendered. Tomcat as female, and bosom as male.

I wonder if German actually has separate words for "fishwife" and "fishmonger".

Also, I wonder if languages other than English conflate grammatical gender with person-hood.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:26 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:Also, I wonder if languages other than English conflate grammatical gender with person-hood.

Do you mean in the sense that "it" is dehumanizing?
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

LockeZ

Postby LockeZ » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:33 pm UTC

In technology terms, and also in freudian terms, knives and keys are both male connectors. Wounds and locks are the equivalent female connectors. When a tab goes into a slot, the tab is male and the slot is female, right?

Spoons go into your mouth but cheerios also go into spoons, so they swing both ways.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:40 pm UTC

But what if I only take soup?

(Cheerios are the rings, aren't they? That's a provocative topology, if ever I saw one...)

Also*, above the Fishwife bit was:
Gretchen: Wilhelm, where is the turnip?
Wilhelm: She has gone to the kitchen.
Gretchen: Where is the accomplished and beautiful English maiden?
Wilhelm: It has gone to the opera.

That looks like it is either an ancestor to the phrase I was actually looking for, or at least shared such an ancestry.

* - Not in the German sense. Or is it?

speising

Postby speising » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:14 pm UTC

The closest german translation of maiden would be die Maid, female.
Maybe the author thought of das Mädchen, but that's just a diminutive, which is always neuter.
Also, i'd translate fishwife as Die Fischfrau, maybe das Fischweib. Weib is neuter, and today at least derogatory (though i don't think it always had that connotation, it was just the same as wife).

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:01 am UTC

Grammatical gender is supposed to be obvious. But if that's so, why are the genders of the sun and the moon reversed between French and German?

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:39 am UTC

da Doctah wrote:Grammatical gender is supposed[by whom?] to be obvious.

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:01 am UTC

Das Mädchen (neuter) is girl (at least that's the term I learned; there may be other terms as well); Wiktionary says "There is more variation concerning pronouns referring back to Mädchen. These are usually neuter within the same sentence[...] (But feminine ihre would be acceptable in colloquial usage.) It is quite common, however, to use feminine pronouns in following sentences." Wiktionary also gives maiden as a possible translation of Mädchen.

The word for dress is Kleid, which I seem to remember hearing was masculine but now that I looked it up looks like it's neuter.

Apparently fishwife has derogatory senses that don't refer to female fishmongers. I had never heard that term at all before today. (So I guess that could be translated as Weib, which is also derogatory?)

Quizatzhaderac wrote:Also, I wonder if languages other than English conflate grammatical gender with person-hood.
This says that Tamil does this, and the Niger-Congo languages include human vs. non-human distinction in their noun class/grammatical gender system but not male vs. female.

da Doctah wrote:Grammatical gender is supposed to be obvious.
No it isn't.
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · she · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...

GlassHouses

Postby GlassHouses » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:44 am UTC

da Doctah wrote:Grammatical gender is supposed to be obvious.

If there's any pattern, in German, as to which nouns have which gender, I've never noticed it -- apart from the obvious ones, i.e. words that specifically mean male or female people or animals. (And even there you have the exception, pointed out by speising, that all diminutives are neuter.)

Having said that, I've never had a problem with gender, either. You simply learn each noun along with its definite article. I knew flawlessly which words go with der, die, or das, long before anyone alerted me to this strange concept of "grammatical gender."

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”