1829: "Geochronology"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

1829: "Geochronology"

Postby flicky1991 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:22 am UTC

Title text: “'The mountains near here formed when the ... Newfoundland ... microplate collided with, uhh ... Labrador.' 'Ok, now you're definitely just naming dogs.' 'Wait, no, that's actually almost correct.'

I guess she knows a lot about... canine-tinental drift. 8-)
any pronouns
----
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

rhomboidal

Re: 1829: "Geochronology"

Postby rhomboidal » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:34 am UTC

I'd love to get away with calling two merged plates Labradoodle.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:39 am UTC

I've long made a habit of taking terms from one field and sticking them into another. Called in sick to work once claiming I had a dirichlet condition and needed to undergo a xiphoid process.

Another time I said I used to own a Honda Miasma, which I traded in for a Toyota Plethora.

Von_Cheam

Postby Von_Cheam » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:50 am UTC

Laika the Space Dog*!

(* A sad and shameful part of the history of spaceflight, when one thinks about it..)

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:45 am UTC

Von_Cheam wrote:Laika the Space Dog*!

(* A sad and shameful part of the history of spaceflight, when one thinks about it..)

In her honor.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Devil N

Postby Devil N » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:18 am UTC

The same thing happens when you bury all of your deceased dogs on top of each other in the same spot.

Rombobjörn

Postby Rombobjörn » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:27 pm UTC

When one caninental plate slides on top of another they give rise to a litter of puplands.

The Snide Sniper

Postby The Snide Sniper » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:37 pm UTC

I thought I could tell whether an era is real or not, but this comic proved me wrong. The "Upper Pomeranian" era sounds legit to me..
Also known as "RamenChef" on various other fora.
Me on: Drawception | Explain xkcd | NationStates | The Sluggite Zone | Stack Overflow

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:06 pm UTC

Just goes to show that geologists take a dogged approach to their work.

Familarity with tectonic layers' breeds, breeds contempt.

//try the veal
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:09 pm UTC

Interesting fact: the dog breed that's widely known as the Labrador arose as a distinction in Newfoundland and Labrador originally as the Lesser Newfoundland, because the dog that is now called the Newfoundland arose as a breed just slightly earlier from the same region, albeit actually in Labrador.

One suspects a thrust fault, at some point.

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:19 pm UTC

The Snide Sniper wrote:I thought I could tell whether an era is real or not, but this comic proved me wrong. The "Upper Pomeranian" era sounds legit to me..

The fun part of this is that there is a (linguistic) connection. The names in the comic (and most of the comments) are derived from place names. Dalmatia is the northwest coast of the Balkan peninsula, and is part of Croatia. Pomerania is the Latin name for Pomorze, which is part of the north coast of Poland, roughly the area between the Reknitz and Visztula rivers. Many dog breeds are named for the place where they were bred and first recognized as an official named breed. Many geological formations are named for the place where they were first studied and recognized as an official named formation. So it's not surprising that the same names would show up in both contexts. The same thing happens with other domesticated animals, but dogs are the extreme example because we have so many breeds (and they have a rather special relationship with humans).

But none of this prevents it from being funny. ;-)

Ranbot

Postby Ranbot » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:12 pm UTC

Work in a Malamute orogeny for extra impression.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:18 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:I've long made a habit of taking terms from one field and sticking them into another. Called in sick to work once claiming I had a dirichlet condition and needed to undergo a xiphoid process.

Another time I said I used to own a Honda Miasma, which I traded in for a Toyota Plethora.

We did a similar thing at university: we took terms from the field of Engineering and applied them to the field of Getting Drunk. Basically any technical term can be used to describe a state of inebriation: "Man, I was eutectic last night!" "Eutectic? I was peritectoid!" "I was hyperperitectoid!" "Well I was totally Bernoullied!". And so on.

God, we must have been boring to listen to.

ETA: Toyotas have to end in -is, don't they? I have my eyes on a Toyota Tmesis, personally.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:14 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:ETA: Toyotas have to end in -is, don't they? I have my eyes on a Toyota Tmesis, personally.

Really? I suppose the Corolla should have been the Coriolis...
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:26 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
orthogon wrote:ETA: Toyotas have to end in -is, don't they? I have my eyes on a Toyota Tmesis, personally.

As a prior owner of a Cor(olla/iolis), that came to my mind, too.

Which way did yours try to turn? ;)

TheEngineer

Postby TheEngineer » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:00 pm UTC

I hear that the Himalayan Sheepdog was formed when the deep Shih-Tzu was subducted under the shallow Water Spaniel.

Howzers

Postby Howzers » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:05 pm UTC

jc wrote:
The Snide Sniper wrote:I thought I could tell whether an era is real or not, but this comic proved me wrong. The "Upper Pomeranian" era sounds legit to me..

The fun part of this is that there is a (linguistic) connection. The names in the comic (and most of the comments) are derived from place names. Dalmatia is the northwest coast of the Balkan peninsula, and is part of Croatia. Pomerania is the Latin name for Pomorze, which is part of the north coast of Poland, roughly the area between the Reknitz and Visztula rivers. Many dog breeds are named for the place where they were bred and first recognized as an official named breed. Many geological formations are named for the place where they were first studied and recognized as an official named formation. So it's not surprising that the same names would show up in both contexts. The same thing happens with other domesticated animals, but dogs are the extreme example because we have so many breeds (and they have a rather special relationship with humans).

But none of this prevents it from being funny. ;-)

Yeah I was about to post this. While reading the comic I was briefly sure that 'dalmatian plate' was something to do with the Adriatic sea and vaguely recalling volcanic regions in Italy.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:22 pm UTC

Howzers wrote:Yeah I was about to post this. While reading the comic I was briefly sure that 'dalmatian plate' was something to do with the Adriatic sea and vaguely recalling volcanic regions in Italy.

Well, you could have been thinking about the Dolomites (and the rock of that name, which is a sedimentary carbonate, and one of the useful and/or decorative flux-type stones encountered in Dwarf Fortress). Not volcanic, but has the same sort of potential mix-up in my brain as Anchorage (Alaska) vs Ankara (Turkey)... ;)

Howzers

Postby Howzers » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:11 pm UTC

Dolomite of course also referring to a dog.

keldor

Postby keldor » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:15 pm UTC

It's really amazing how many dog names are based off of world locations and/or peoples. Pomerania is the northern part of Poland (including the Pomeranian Coast). The Dalmatia is along the southern half of the coast of Croatia (including the Dalmatian Coast). Labrador is the mainland part of the Newfoundland province in Canada. Laika is a town in Myanmar, though in this case, the dog breed is not named after it.

If there were tectonic microplates in the appropriate areas, you can bet they'd use these names.

Also, many geological epochs are also named after locations and peoples. Cambrian is derived from the Welsh name for Wales, where there are a lot of rocks of that period. Ordovician is named after a Celtic tribe in Wales, Silurian is based on another Celtic tribe. Devonian is named after Devon, England, where they first studied rocks of the period, Permian is named after the city of Perm. Etc. With this in mind, it would in fact not be too surprising if there were a dog breed with the same name as a geological epoch.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:23 pm UTC

Grommit, as in "Wallace and..." is obviously a Pleistocene.. :P

melbrod

Postby melbrod » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:12 pm UTC

I rather like the Sandwich Plate in Antartica myself.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:43 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
taixzo wrote:

As a prior owner of a Cor(olla/iolis), that came to my mind, too.

Which way did yours try to turn? ;)

My bad. I was thinking of the Yaris/Auris series, which were heavily advertised amidst certain crime dramas that I watch a lot of. Turns out I was drawing a straight line between two points: they are the series in its entirety.

Toyota Coriolis is excellent, though.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:43 pm UTC

I thought of more not"-is"es, myself, but the Auris, the Avensis, the (Corolla) Altis and the Yaris (with Etios/Prius/Vios as at demihemisemihomophonic push) in their car range, they are not overwhelmingly outnumbered in basic model names. Maybe in some markets and in a given year there's just a lot more "-is" than non"-is", adjusted by brand recognition/ownership magnitudes.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:43 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:Toyota Coriolis is excellent, though.

Really? I heard the steering reverses if you drive in the southern hemishpere...
―◯‐◯ FG Discord ◯‐◯―

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:01 pm UTC

That's just a myth. The effect is too small to be noticeable unless your car is a couple hundred miles across.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:20 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:That's just a myth. The effect is too small to be noticeable unless your car is a couple hundred miles across.

Or you're doing donuts at the south pole

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”