Page 1 of 1

1817: "Incognito Mode"

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:14 pm UTC
by Jorpho
Image

Title text: They're really the worst tech support team. And their solutions are always the same. "This OS X update broke something." "LET'S INFILTRATE APPLE BY MORPHING APPLES!"

Goodness, 15:11 GMT and no thread yet. Oh well.

If you don't quite get the reference, it turns out Animorphs gets pretty darn intense at times.
http://www.dorkly.com/post/80575/animor ... line-david
[ETA: Don't neglect to click through to the original tumblr post.]

It kind of makes me wish I had paid more attention to it as a young'un. But it's a long series, and I suspect trying to track down each volume would have gotten too frustrating after a while.

Re: 1817: "Incognito Mode"

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:18 pm UTC
by Whizbang
If you browse in Incognito Mode for more than four hours, seek medical attention.

Re: 1817: "Incognito Mode"

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:46 pm UTC
by Soupspoon
Whizbang wrote:If you browse in Incognito Mode for more than four hours, seek medical attention.

If you're browsing in Incognito Mode seeking medical attention, you have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Re: 1817: "Incognito Mode"

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:52 pm UTC
by squall_line
Soupspoon wrote:If you're browsing in Incognito Mode seeking medical attention, you have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.


Just qualify it with "Asking for a friend", amirite? (I think that's how that works)

Based on currently debated legislation and the news stories about how it will allow the sale of browsing habits, how long before "Incognito Mode" becomes the default on browsers? And/or will there be a rise in people using default-incognito browsers?

I'd like to use Incognito more often, but the computers at work all go through a proxy, so someone's tracking me anyway.

Re: 1817: "Incognito Mode"

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:03 pm UTC
by cellocgw
If you browse in Incognito Mode, your name will become Richie



Side note: until I researched this guy, I thought he'd changed his name in honor of being unsung or some such athlete meme.

Re: 1817: "Incognito Mode"

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:40 pm UTC
by Showsni
Jorpho wrote:It kind of makes me wish I had paid more attention to it as a young'un. But it's a long series, and I suspect trying to track down each volume would have gotten too frustrating after a while.


I can remember getting a new one every time we went on holiday. The hardest to get were the ones they never got around to publishing in the UK, of course; had to send off to America for them.

"LET'S INFILTRATE APPLE BY MORPHING APPLES!"


Though they never actually tried morphing plants, right? You'd think it would have come up at least once.

Re: 1817: "Incognito Mode"

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:47 pm UTC
by Sqee
Strange they never went for plants, since the (ghost)writers were really happy to screw up the franchise in any way they could think of just so they could stand on the soapbox of the day.

Re: 1817: "Incognito Mode"

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:57 pm UTC
by hetas
squall_line wrote:Based on currently debated legislation and the news stories about how it will allow the sale of browsing habits, how long before "Incognito Mode" becomes the default on browsers? And/or will there be a rise in people using default-incognito browsers?

I'd like to use Incognito more often, but the computers at work all go through a proxy, so someone's tracking me anyway.


Incognito mode won't do anything against ISPs selling your browsing history. It can only make it harder to obtain for other people using the same device.

The legislation your referring is apparently going to change. I was wondering whether the data ISPs can sell is anonymized or statistical data or are they really allowed to sell data tied to a an individual person or ip-address?

Re: 1817: "Incognito Mode"

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:46 pm UTC
by azule
Thanks for the links, OP. I never knew.

Re: 1817: "Incognito Mode"

Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:04 am UTC
by GlassHouses
hetas wrote:Incognito mode won't do anything against ISPs selling your browsing history. It can only make it harder to obtain for other people using the same device.

I think it is worth pointing out that HTTPS will prevent your ISP from seeing what you're doing. They will be able to see which sites you visit; that's inevitable (*) since they have to know where to send your packets, but they won't be able to see what you're looking at on Amazon, whom you're sending email to in GMail, etc.

(*) unless you're going all out and using VPN or Tor

Re: 1817: "Incognito Mode"

Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:12 am UTC
by eviloatmeal
If you log in to a session that never expires in incognito mode and close the window before logging out, you'll be logged in through that session forever.

Re: 1817: "Incognito Mode"

Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:07 pm UTC
by stopmadnessnow
If you use incognito mode you'll go 8-).