1806: "Borrow Your Laptop"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Re: 1806: "Borrow Your Laptop"

Postby flicky1991 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:34 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:THE MAIN USE OF CAPS LOCK IS TO BE LOUD ON THE INTERNET. IT'S WEIRD HOW YOU READ THIS IN A SHOUTING VOICE BY DEFAULT.

And yet we didn't read the dialogue in the comic as shouting.
any pronouns
----
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:38 pm UTC

flicky1991 wrote:
Flumble wrote:THE MAIN USE OF CAPS LOCK IS TO BE LOUD ON THE INTERNET. IT'S WEIRD HOW YOU READ THIS IN A SHOUTING VOICE BY DEFAULT.

Maybe xkcd is like Archer: after a while you grow accustomed to the shouting and you don't notice it anymore.
We need fresh meat to tell us whether the characters in the comic are screaming.

RGB-es

Postby RGB-es » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:04 pm UTC

flicky1991 wrote:

He's not being loud, he's just using the +smcp OpenType feature.

I have a more subtle way of annoying people: I use a Spanish keyboard layout on an Italian physical keyboard. It's quite amusing when my Italian friends try to write an "ò" and get an "ñ" or when nothing seems to happen with "à" and "è" keys (on the Spanish keyboard layout, those correspond to the "dead keys" for acute and grave accents).

Spanish keyboard layout rules!

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:35 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:
orthogon wrote:
The main use of Caps Lock is that you can toggle it and check that the light goes on and off as a basic sign-of-life. However I'm no longer sure what it proves these days, when the keyboard itself is probably running Linux.

It proves that the LED works and you haven't gone blind.

Indeed, and it also proves something about the Caps Lock key itself. But apart from that, the casual chain between stimulus and response is as mysterious as anything in Science.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:09 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:The main use of Caps Lock is that you can toggle it and check that the light goes on and off as a basic sign-of-life.

It also identifies user-friendly websites; does the site give you a "hey, your password is going to be screwy!" message when you try to create/change a password with caps on?

(If it's an important password, like your bank, it might instead be identifying a feud between IT and customer service.)

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:02 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:IT'S WEIRD HOW YOU READ THIS IN A SHOUTING VOICE BY DEFAULT.

No weirder than any other typographical, or for that matter orthographical, cue....
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

Dlareg

Postby Dlareg » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:13 pm UTC

But that breaks my workflow!
I use the overheat of the CPU as my control!

xtifr

Postby xtifr » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:19 am UTC

I used to do lots of weird stuff with my keyboard, but most of it was window-manager dependent, and I'd have to do extensive discovery and re-implementation whenever I'd try switching window managers. Too much of a pain. Nowadays, the only thing I do consistently is set CapsLock to Compose. Which was window-manager independent under X11...so, of course, the world is planning to switch to Wayland.
"[T]he author has followed the usual practice of contemporary books on graph theory, namely to use words that are similar but not identical to the terms used in other books on graph theory."
-- Donald Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming, Vol I, 3rd ed.

nwm

Postby nwm » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:21 am UTC

Code: Select all

map <C-ScrollWheelUp> u
map <C-ScrollWheelDown> <C-R>

works for me in gvim :-). I agree that this is a brilliant idea, if you work with the mouse a lot, but in vim you usually don’t.

As for desktop keyboards with a function-key: I am actually using a Logitech Y-SAE71 with such a key. The difference is, it is located right of the F12 key, so there is no problem with Left-Ctrl and also it works like num-lock so you don’t have to hold it down.

Pressing both shift-keys obviously should be caps-lock. Switching between layouts on the other hand can be done with the menu-key located between AltGr and RightCtrl. Oh and my default layout is neo2, which—with its 6 layers—is much better than any laptop function-key (especially at driving other people insane). Also nice: caps-lock+tab = compose :-D

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:38 am UTC

If you want to borrow my computer, it helps if you can touch type.
Spoiler:
ps.02.keyboard.jpg

Oh, also, CapsLock is Ctrl, as Sun intended.

pscottdv

Postby pscottdv » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:18 pm UTC

rhomboidal wrote:It'd probably be a red flag if the spacebar was labeled "spacetimebar."

My daughters labelled the spacebar on their computer, "The Final Frontier".

pscottdv

Postby pscottdv » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:25 pm UTC

ManaUser wrote:I just discovered that if I hold down shift, my scroll wheel already goes through time. Although the directions are the opposite of what I was expecting.

Have the same thing, except my scroll wheel always goes forward through time regardless of which way I spin the wheel. Or whether I hold down the shift key. Or whether I am anywhere near my computer...

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:35 pm UTC

pscottdv wrote:
rhomboidal wrote:It'd probably be a red flag if the spacebar was labeled "spacetimebar."

My daughters labelled the spacebar on their computer, "The Final Frontier".

But it's not just space, it's the space bar. "Ten Forward"?

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:41 pm UTC

pscottdv wrote:Have the same thing, except my scroll wheel always goes forward through time regardless of which way I spin the wheel. Or whether I hold down the shift key. Or whether I am anywhere near my computer...

I have it too, but time moves faster if I'm within arm's reach of the computer. Do I need more RAM?
―◯‐◯ FG Discord ◯‐◯―

Rombobjörn

Postby Rombobjörn » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:39 pm UTC

My current laptop has a numpad where Num Lock switches between digits and cursor keys as usual. It also has four separate arrow keys crammed in – but there are no separate Page Up, Page Down, Home and End. Those are demoted to Fn-combinations on the arrow keys. This presented a problem as I use Shift-Home and Shift-End a lot. Now I'd have to press Shift-Fn-Right to select to the end of the line, which was unfamiliar and complex enough to interrupt my workflow. Finding a key in an unusual place isn't too bad, but to press three keys instead of two I have to stop and actually think about it.

I tried turning off Num Lock and using the numpad as cursor keys. That worked as long as I was just moving the cursor, but as soon as I held Shift the keys turned back into digits, so when I tried to select to the end of the line I got a 1 inserted instead.

My solution was to remap the numpad keys so that they're always cursor keys, regardless of the state of Num Lock and Shift. That way I can work almost as easily as on a full-sized keyboard, only with some keys in somewhat unusual positions. To type digits I have to use the top row, but that's only rarely inconvenient.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:13 pm UTC

I have the opposite problem, due to a lot of time spent with a particular notebook, that I expect to got Ctrl+Fn+Arrow to get around and then remember I'm on a keyboard that didn't work that way.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

Hafting

Postby Hafting » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:59 pm UTC

For generic mouse undo/redo, use xbindkeys with this .xbindkeysrc:
"/usr/bin/xte 'keydown Undo' 'keyup Undo'"
b:4

"/usr/bin/xte 'keydown Redo' 'keyup Redo'"
b:5

Works with emacs, which interprets the "Undo" key properly. Some keyboards has a real undo key, so X supports it and a few programs supports it directly too. Others may need to map this uncommon key. Undoes lots of editing really fast.

xtifr

Postby xtifr » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:14 pm UTC

Hafting wrote:For generic mouse undo/redo, use xbindkeys [...]

If undo/redo are actually defined as valid keys for X, then you probably want to use .xmodmap instead. (And xkeycaps is a convenient front-end if you don't want to dig through docs trying to figure how to write a proper .xmodmap entry.) Unless you really need xbindkeys, I think it's overkill for features which X itself already supports.

However, all of the above have the drawback of being X-specific, which, with the *nix world looking like it's moving towards Wayland soon, could be a problem. I'm really not sure just how many alternative key options Wayland has or will offer. Considering how much fighting was required to get them to offer middle-mouse paste as an option, I don't look forward to trying to get them to support all of X's odd key options.

ETA: At this point, it's probably worth mentioning, though, that running X or Wayland on your laptop is still a fairly effective method of confusing anyone who might want to borrow it. Not as good as it used to be, and certainly not as good as remapping all your keys, but nevertheless, still moderately effective. 8-)
"[T]he author has followed the usual practice of contemporary books on graph theory, namely to use words that are similar but not identical to the terms used in other books on graph theory."
-- Donald Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming, Vol I, 3rd ed.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”