Page 1 of 1

1803: "Location Reviews"

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:01 pm UTC
by Copper Bezel
Image

Title text: "Google and Yelp keep deleting my scathing reviews of the Mariana Trench, the Chernobyl reactor core, the jet stream, and the equator."

I feel like this is a phenomenon I should have been aware of previously, and also that the joke is a bit lost for me as a result. Time for messing around with Google Maps.

Re: 1803: "Location Reviews"

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:10 pm UTC
by RichterCa
I work for a courthouse, and often have to look up prisons on google to get an address. It's funny to see reviews on prisons. Some are serious: "Really helped me get my life back on track, rehab and counseling were great!" And some are sarcastic: "Staff was very rude, and beds were extremely uncomfortable. 0 stars, would not stay there again."

Re: 1803: "Location Reviews"

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:26 pm UTC
by leeharveyosmond
Hey Randall, did you never call the Russian Strategic Rocket Forces Credit Card Hotline?

Re: 1803: "Location Reviews"

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:53 pm UTC
by orthogon
Copper Bezel wrote:I feel like this is a phenomenon I should have been aware of previously, and also that the joke is a bit lost for me as a result. Time for messing around with Google Maps.


Google Maps asks me things like "Does this place have a laid-back atmosphere?" and "Does this place appeal to a younger crowd?". I guess that's a definite "no" to the first question...

Re: 1803: "Location Reviews"

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:01 pm UTC
by Old Bruce
orthogon wrote:Google Maps asks me things like "Does this place have a laid-back atmosphere?" and "Does this place appeal to a younger crowd?". I guess that's a definite "no" to the first question...


I would hope that the answer would be Yes to "Does this place have a laid-back atmosphere?"

Re: 1803: "Location Reviews"

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:32 pm UTC
by Ceetar

Re: 1803: "Location Reviews"

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:46 pm UTC
by Ken_g6
I'm guessing that next-to-last review ("How do I preorder?") came from one Donald J. Trump in 2014. :shock:

Re: 1803: "Location Reviews"

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:17 pm UTC
by suso
One I came across about a year ago was reviews of supercomputing data centers like San Diego Supercomputer center:

★★ i'm recive a ddos atack from this location -- Clayton Bernardino

https://www.google.com/maps/place/San+D ... 18!9m1!1b1

There are also reviews for Texas Advanced Computing Center, which interestingly has the same numeric street address as SDSC (10100). I see the LHC also has 18 reviews.

★ 2/10 Not big enough

Re: 1803: "Location Reviews"

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:54 pm UTC
by Flumble
RichterCa wrote:I work for a courthouse, and often have to look up prisons on google to get an address. It's funny to see reviews on prisons. Some are serious: "Really helped me get my life back on track, rehab and counseling were great!"

Can prisoners in your country choose their prison? It would incentivise prisons to treat their inhabitants well.
Then again, there are better indicators of how well a prison is doing, e.g. the recidivism rate. :roll:

Re: 1803: "Location Reviews"

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:04 pm UTC
by Zooty
The equator: 2 stars, it's kind of all over the place.

Re: 1803: "Location Reviews"

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:58 pm UTC
by Noslo
One of the bike racks on my university campus has like 100+ reviews averaging nearly 5 stars. Everyone started leaving the raving reviews like 5 months ago, I'm not sure what started it, but it's pretty hilarious to read all the faux serious reviews.

Re: 1803: "Location Reviews"

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:30 pm UTC
by Copper Bezel
A little sad that none of the Antarctic research stations that seem to show up allow reviews. I guess that most of the businesses and sites that do allow them do have some kind of public interface that could make reviews relevant, and then, naturally, if something has reviews enabled but is more notable for reasons other than its on-site public interface, you get joke reviews. Like, the ones for the Pentagon look very similar to the ones in the comic ... with the exception of the 1/3 that are about the tour, which does seem like a reasonably useful and relevant thing for visitors to review or refer to reviews of.

Re: 1803: "Location Reviews"

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:47 pm UTC
by Oktalist
Twatt Farm

twattfarm.png

Re: 1803: "Location Reviews"

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:01 am UTC
by a9s
Copper Bezel wrote:A little sad that none of the Antarctic research stations that seem to show up allow reviews. I guess that most of the businesses and sites that do allow them do have some kind of public interface that could make reviews relevant, and then, naturally, if something has reviews enabled but is more notable for reasons other than its on-site public interface, you get joke reviews. Like, the ones for the Pentagon look very similar to the ones in the comic ... with the exception of the 1/3 that are about the tour, which does seem like a reasonably useful and relevant thing for visitors to review or refer to reviews of.

Can't find it right now but I recall reading that one station, formerly operated by the Soviets I believe, has a guest book.

Re: 1803: "Location Reviews"

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:54 am UTC
by Soupspoon
I read about that, recently. It's the one on the continental "pole of inaccessibility", IIRC, i.e. furthest from any shore, give or take complications of ice-cap and ice-shelf definitions.

(Or, at least, that one has/had such a visitor book.)

Re: 1803: "Location Reviews"

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:42 am UTC
by Copper Bezel
Ah, there we go. Several stations didn't show up whatever I did on my first pass, and most of the ones I'm seeing now allow reviews. Vostok Station even helpfully includes hours of operation! (Closed now.)

Re: 1803: "Location Reviews"

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:01 am UTC
by mschmidt62
I became more aware of reviews for non-consumer-oriented locations last week when I was compulsively googling for Oroville Dam updates. The Oroville Dam had a few somewhat-funny reviews. When I saw this I wondered whether Randall may have had the same experience--he seems like the sort of person that would be googling for more technical information on the dam like I was. The popular press is so frustrating for people interested in the technical aspects of technical emergencies.

Re: 1803: "Location Reviews"

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:34 am UTC
by orthogon
Old Bruce wrote:
orthogon wrote:Google Maps asks me things like "Does this place have a laid-back atmosphere?" and "Does this place appeal to a younger crowd?". I guess that's a definite "no" to the first question...


I would hope that the answer would be Yes to "Does this place have a laid-back atmosphere?"

I was thinking of the security personnel, but, yes, hopefully it's more feet-on-the-desk than finger-on-the-button.

Re: 1803: "Location Reviews"

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:00 pm UTC
by Old Bruce
orthogon wrote:
Old Bruce wrote:
orthogon wrote:Google Maps asks me things like "Does this place have a laid-back atmosphere?" and "Does this place appeal to a younger crowd?". I guess that's a definite "no" to the first question...

I would hope that the answer would be Yes to "Does this place have a laid-back atmosphere?"

I was thinking of the security personnel, but, yes, hopefully it's more feet-on-the-desk than finger-on-the-button.

On really slow days I bet they have contests about who can do both for the longest time before getting a cramp.

Re: 1803: "Location Reviews"

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:26 pm UTC
by ParisNorway
Image

When I try to search for "canyon river nuclear launch", Google seach suggests that I might wanna search for "canyon river nuclear launch calendar". Should I be scared?

Re: 1803: "Location Reviews"

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:36 pm UTC
by Flumble
ParisNorway wrote:When I try to search for "canyon river nuclear launch", Google seach suggests that I might wanna search for "canyon river nuclear launch calendar". Should I be scared?

As long as the calendar only contains national holidays it's fine.

Re: 1803: "Location Reviews"

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:14 pm UTC
by fibonacci
Flumble wrote:
ParisNorway wrote:When I try to search for "canyon river nuclear launch", Google seach suggests that I might wanna search for "canyon river nuclear launch calendar". Should I be scared?

As long as the calendar only contains national holidays it's fine.

Probably the best or worst Fourth of July, depending on where you're viewing it.

Re: 1803: "Location Reviews"

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:27 pm UTC
by dtilque
Marianas Trench:

1/10 Been there just once. In 1960. For 20 minutes. Would not buy again.

Yeah, I'm posting an SDMB in-joke to a different MB. So what?

Re: 1803: "Location Reviews"

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:37 am UTC
by Mikeski
I wonder what some of the starred reviews are comparing things to?

I assume a three-star-reviewed Chinese restaurant is being compared to other Chinese restaurants, or to other restaurants in general, but not to home cooking or movie theaters.

Are the 93 reviews of the Panama Canal comparisons to other canals (Suez), or to the alternative of sailing around South America?

Re: 1803: "Location Reviews"

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:11 am UTC
by Copper Bezel
The serious answer is that the actual reviews (I mean, the ratings that include text content) mostly review it in its capacity as a sightseeing destination. There are a lot of 1s and 5s in the naked ratings, but they aren't all 1s and 5s, so my guess would be that those really are intended in the same vein.

Putting that silliness aside, though, I have to assume that at least some of the reviews are in comparison to other palindromes.

Re: 1803: "Location Reviews"

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:41 am UTC
by iabervon
Fukoshima Dai-ichi: (5 stars) The new hot spot!

Weirdly, some of the rescue workers from Fukoshima Dai-ichi seem to be keeping in touch with each other in English in the google reviews. And rating it higher than I would expect, considering.

Re: 1803: "Location Reviews"

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:10 pm UTC
by Quizatzhaderac
I remember when Bin Laden was killed the internet immediately reviewed his house.
Flumble wrote:Can prisoners in your country choose their prison?
No. TV tells me that sometimes part of the plea bargain is which prison someone gets sent to, but TV has lied to me before.

But I think, for state crimes (most of them) there's not a large set of jurisdictionally appropriate prisons.

Re: 1803: "Location Reviews"

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:21 am UTC
by Mikeski
Copper Bezel wrote:Putting that silliness aside, though, I have to assume that at least some of the reviews are in comparison to other palindromes.


Threadwinner!

Re: 1803: "Location Reviews"

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:21 am UTC
by Eternal Density
I can guess which review is signed 'Summer Glau'.