1775: "Things You Learn"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Raidri

1775: "Things You Learn"

Postby Raidri » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:42 pm UTC

Title text: Guess who has two thumbs and spent the night in an ER after trying to rescue a kitten that ran under his car at a stoplight and climbed up into the engine compartment? And, thanks to antibiotics, will continue having two thumbs? THIS GUY. (P.S. kitten is safe!)

Apparently I'm one of the lucky lucky ten thousand today (the cat bite part).
Last edited by Raidri on Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Wooloomooloo

Re: 1775: Things You Learn

Postby Wooloomooloo » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:07 pm UTC

Okay, this is ridiculous. Not to claim that cat bites are "harmless" - I don't think the bite of any animal can be guaranteed to be "safe", so yes having it checked & treated is always better than not - but if they were as frighteningly dangerous as insinuated, absolutely requiring an ER visit no exceptions, homo sapiens would have gone extinct after the first decade of its existence. Or, at the very absolute minimum the term "cat lady" would simply not exist.
Last edited by Wooloomooloo on Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:07 pm UTC

I dispute "Lyrics to 12 Days of Christmas". I doubt most people can sing them all, without hesitation or Googling; most of us would get stuck beyond "Five Gohold Riiiiiings". Or are they somehow drilled into schoolkids in the US?
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:43 pm UTC

I only have a problem with the 12 days because I learnt it as 9 Drummers, 10 Pipers, 11 Ladies then 12 Lords (probably due to someone having a feeling of ranking that placed nobility above musicians, and seemingly percussion rhythm not being as appreciated as a tune1) yet it tends to be commonly Ladies<Lords<Pipers<Drummers in all contemporary versions, and this is now the version I expect and default to.

(But you can often Rhubarb the first mention of a placeholder, if part of a mass chorus where they are clued in on the local sorting and you are not, immediately gather the exact working as you go and predicting the last one (mentioned just the once) in advance once enough of the others are ticked off ypur mental list. And you know that the Gold Rings are the fall-back muster point if you're still confused by the top-end of the lust...)

1 Or, conversley, without the drummers setting things up with the rhythm, the pipers would be all over the shop...

SerialTroll

Postby SerialTroll » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:51 pm UTC

Thanks for this comic. Seeing it just added a "TO DO" for me... talk about abusive relationships with my 12-year-old daughter (and probably son too now that I think about it). I grabbed this for talking points: http://www.ywca.org/atf/cf/%7BC783A7F4- ... ps%201.pdf

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:55 pm UTC

Yeah chalk me up for another person dubious about the severity of cat bites. My family had lots of cats throughout my entire childhood and I was bitten and scratched plenty of times and never saw a doctor for any of it and turned out fine for it.

Then again we also had parrots who could nominally tear a finger off and I was always the one to feed a particularly violent one because I was the only one who didn't mind letting him gnaw on one hand while I poured his food with the other, so maybe I just had super animal-proof skin or something.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

DanD

Postby DanD » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:58 pm UTC

SerialTroll wrote:Thanks for this comic. Seeing it just added a "TO DO" for me... talk about abusive relationships with my 12-year-old daughter (and probably son too now that I think about it). I grabbed this for talking points: http://www.ywca.org/atf/cf/%7BC783A7F4- ... ps%201.pdf

Definitely the son as well. Female on male physical abuse is more common that people realize (as well as male on male if he happens to be oriented that way), and emotional abuse is no respecter of gender at all.

ddpruitt

Postby ddpruitt » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:07 pm UTC

I think its not quite worded correctly. Very few cat bites are dangerous, but those that are dangerous are REALLY dangerous. So if you do get bitten by a Cat (or any other animal) the wound should be cleaned and you should be checked out, just in case you were bitten by lycanthrope....

On another note: did anyone read the alt-text and automatically change the tone of their inner voice at "this guy"?

DanD

Postby DanD » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:08 pm UTC

http://www.medicaldaily.com/cat-bites-p ... nts-tissue

Now, admittedly, this is just for those patients who seek medical attention for cat bites, so it's not clear what percentage of total bites are serious, but it is clear that they can be significant, even ones that are often dismissed as minor.

Kalium_Puceon

Postby Kalium_Puceon » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:46 pm UTC

As I read this I thought "huh, this sounds familiar. Cat bite is an oddly specific topic."

Turns out I had read this a week back: http://www.xkcdb.com/10358
"You never get over the desire to do stupid things. You simply have to overrule your stupid urges with an acquired sense of fear."

-Dr. Richard Weisiger

Reka

Postby Reka » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:57 pm UTC

Aw, Randall has a kitten. :)

(People who are saying that cat bites aren't that serious are probably thinking of cat scratches. Those can still be serious, but mostly, you just wash it and call it good. An actual *bite*, like all deep puncture wounds, needs medical attention.)

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:11 pm UTC

The ability (or probability) of a cat to produce something I would call a "deep puncture wound" is what I'm doubting. All the cat bites I remember ever getting never amounted to more than a few pinpricks (if that), or like, being poked (not stabbed) with a not-especially-sharp knife. Maybe being pinched by a staple-remover is the closest analogy. The combination of force and sharpness enough to produce a serious injury is something I've never experienced a cat actually producing, and one of our cats was a rescued stray prone to freaking the fuck out so I'd expect I would have if it was a thing that often happened.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:15 pm UTC

Late at night, Randall stops at a stop light. As he's waiting for it to turn green, he mumbles, "You're a kitty." The light turns green, he steps on the gas and says, "Oh pretty kitty. Wait what?" He pulls over, pops the hood, gets out and opens it. A cat jumps out and bites him on the face, puncturing his nose in four places. "Good kitty kitty," he says as blood streams down his chin. It has begun.
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

Yu_p

Postby Yu_p » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:17 pm UTC

You should be more cpncerned about man-bites. Those are really dangerous, I hear. (Also, for most people even less likely than deep cat bites.)

ManaUser

Postby ManaUser » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:19 pm UTC

Not all bites cause puncture wounds. A cat can bite playfully, or even threateningly, but not hard enough to break the skin. I'm assuming you're going to be fine in that case... goodness knows I've experienced that often enough. But if it draws blood, then yeah it's serious.

As a side note, it's serious for cats too. Over the years I've had to take cats to the vet for abscesses caused by bites from other cats more often than any other ailment.
Last edited by ManaUser on Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

philip1201

Postby philip1201 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:19 pm UTC

Usually if you forget to pay taxes, you get a few warning letters explaining the concept to you before things go too wrong. I'd put it to the left of 'how to ride a bike', but I'm Dutch so I'm biased.

HES

Postby HES » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:25 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:The ability (or probability) of a cat to produce something I would call a "deep puncture wound" is what I'm doubting. All the cat bites I remember ever getting never amounted to more than a few pinpricks (if that), or like, being poked (not stabbed) with a not-especially-sharp knife

That sounds like an "I am letting you know I am angry" bite, rather than an "I am trying to damage you" bite. Hamsters make that distinction, I don't see why cats wouldn't too.
He/Him/His Image

dlep

Postby dlep » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:14 pm UTC

Cat scratch fever (which, yes, you can get from a bite from a cat) isn't something to shrug off lightly. (Neither is tetanus, which you can get just by stepping on something sharp and dirty.)

Basically, if you don't know where it's been and it's come in contact with the wrong side of your skin, you probably want to either head to the doctor or have already taken care of it. (Tetanus is something you can get a vaccine for, and you need a booster every 5-10 years, so if you know you've gotten that vaccine in the last 5 years you can go ahead and step on that rusty nail if you really, really want to. But if you don't... don't take tetanus lightly. It's nasty.)

All of which is to say, don't get punctured. It's a bad idea.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:38 pm UTC

dlep wrote:Cat scratch fever (which, yes, you can get from a bite from a cat) isn't something to shrug off lightly.

But when you get it from a retired gun-toting crappy rockstar, then watch out.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:49 pm UTC

philip1201 wrote:Usually if you forget to pay taxes, you get a few warning letters explaining the concept to you before things go too wrong. I'd put it to the left of 'how to ride a bike', but I'm Dutch so I'm biased.
In America, there's sometimes a gap knowing that the government would like you to pay tax, and that you have to..

But yes, unless one is willfully ignorant the government will politely remind you and provide small penalties at first here as well.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:55 pm UTC

philip1201 wrote:I'd put it to the left of 'how to ride a bike', but I'm Dutch so I'm biased.
...which must make it hard to ride your bike, or at least increase the chance of your upper body colliding with other riders or street furniture.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:22 pm UTC

DanD wrote:
SerialTroll wrote:Thanks for this comic. Seeing it just added a "TO DO" for me... talk about abusive relationships with my 12-year-old daughter (and probably son too now that I think about it). I grabbed this for talking points: http://www.ywca.org/atf/cf/%7BC783A7F4- ... ps%201.pdf

Definitely the son as well. Female on male physical abuse is more common that people realize (as well as male on male if he happens to be oriented that way), and emotional abuse is no respecter of gender at all.

Also it might be a good idea to give him the list of What Not To Do. Everyone pretty much sleepwalks into love and reacts to it as to a large glass of fortified wine, a bucket of ice water, a pound of strong chocolate and a triple shot of espresso all at once, and mistakes get made.

Somewhere off the bottom of the chart, smudged from left-of-centre to way off the right margin: "That romance shit can seriously fuck you up."
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

RCT Bob

Postby RCT Bob » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:41 pm UTC

philip1201 wrote:Usually if you forget to pay taxes, you get a few warning letters explaining the concept to you before things go too wrong. I'd put it to the left of 'how to ride a bike', but I'm Dutch so I'm biased.

I don't think the tax paying should be moved, I think the bike riding should be moved for Dutch people. Probably to somewhere underneath the tax paying, but just as far right.

BrianB

Postby BrianB » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:54 pm UTC

There is really one and only one appropriate forum comment for this comic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fit99l6kHyA

keithl

Postby keithl » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:03 pm UTC

Cat bites are very dangerous vectors of infection, especially for cartoonists. If the cat that bit Randall had previously bitten Jeff Keane, Randall would be drawing Family Circus cartoons now, and we would all be screaming and clawing our eyes out. Fortunately, he received prompt professional care.

Showsni

Postby Showsni » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:21 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:I dispute "Lyrics to 12 Days of Christmas". I doubt most people can sing them all, without hesitation or Googling; most of us would get stuck beyond "Five Gohold Riiiiiings". Or are they somehow drilled into schoolkids in the US?

Remember, it's Colly Birds, not Calling Birds.

ShuRugal

Postby ShuRugal » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:37 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:The ability (or probability) of a cat to produce something I would call a "deep puncture wound" is what I'm doubting. All the cat bites I remember ever getting never amounted to more than a few pinpricks (if that), or like, being poked (not stabbed) with a not-especially-sharp knife. Maybe being pinched by a staple-remover is the closest analogy. The combination of force and sharpness enough to produce a serious injury is something I've never experienced a cat actually producing, and one of our cats was a rescued stray prone to freaking the fuck out so I'd expect I would have if it was a thing that often happened.

fun fact: if your domestic cat is biting you, it is probably just saying "I love you".

Cats rarely give full-force bites, even in self defense, unless you are physically restraining them: They prefer a quick nip that lets them disengage quickly and run while you are still worried about the bite itself.

If they do decide to give it to you with both barrels, hot water, soap, and a hydrogen peroxide rinse should be your immediate first steps, followed by professional medical attention.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:21 am UTC

Showsni wrote:Remember, it's Colly Birds, not Calling Birds.

Rather depends on the version of the lyrics. Modern versions ending with pipers and then drummers tend to go with Calling (singing) Birds rather than Colly ones (sooted, black, thus likely blackbirds, themselves quite proficient singers, the European versions at least). Fashions have changed over time, on that one.

Some versions have it as Canary Birds, even, but that's harder to obfuscate as either of the others through indistinct pronunciation as the other two are with each other.

billybobfred

Postby billybobfred » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:08 am UTC

Kalium_Puceon wrote:As I read this I thought "huh, this sounds familiar. Cat bite is an oddly specific topic."

Turns out I had read this a week back: http://www.xkcdb.com/10358

Is this the same bite? explainxkcd says the title text bite was "the night before the comic", which I accepted because it would explain why the comic was a few hours late, but then I noticed that the actual title text doesn't seem to specify when the encounter happened.
she/her/hers

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:19 am UTC

I have had two cat bites other than play bites. One was from a cat that was fighting with another. I did not clean it or seek medical attention. I remember seeing one of the veins in the hand turning blue for a few days but seem to be fine now. The other was a nip from a cat who did not get a belly rub. He broke the skin and left a bruise, no other damage.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

OP Tipping

Postby OP Tipping » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:37 am UTC

I was given to understand that, in this new era, paying taxes was not for smart people.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:16 am UTC

Moose Anus wrote:Late at night, Randall stops at a stop light. As he's waiting for it to turn green, he mumbles, "You're a kitty." The light turns green, he steps on the gas and says, "Oh pretty kitty. Wait what?" He pulls over, pops the hood, gets out and opens it. A cat jumps out and bites him on the face, puncturing his nose in four places. "Good kitty kitty," he says as blood streams down his chin. It has begun.

Opened hood. Received cat scratch fever. Would not stop again.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

J%r

Postby J%r » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:51 pm UTC

Actually taxes are subtracted from your wage when you get it (at least it's the case here), which is usually too much. Filling in all the (paperless) paperwork online is to get the money they stole from you back. They already know everything so it's a way to see if you have income they didn't know about. And if you figure out how to 'pay' less taxes, you might get chosen to send all your paperwork, having to print all the invoices you've gotten digitally and so on.

Normally cats don't move towards loud things. If you start your engine, cats are the first to run away. Unless you have a tesla perhaps, then you don't hear it much.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:29 pm UTC

So when you get a serious cat bite, like a deep "I think I might be fighting for my life bite" you will end up with a small hole. However, that hole goes quite further. So basically it's injected its mouth bacteria deep into your body. So step one: infection. But it only looks like a little thing! Then, it heals. Or, the visible wound heals over, but the inside wound didn't heal, which means the inside wound can't drain out, which is how abscesses happen. This can be terrible, and if in an important body part, like a hand, permenantly disable you.

/me totally went to a hospital in the middle of the night before a flight so as to avoid the ramifications. Had an annoying couple weeks healing, but also have vacation not ruined by a destroyed right hand.
ImageImageImageImageImage

PRadish

Postby PRadish » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:46 pm UTC

Long-time lurker, just registered to say that I've never learnt anything about dryers (the kind they have in laundrettes, right?) and I don't even know what "stop, drop and roll" is, although I'll be sure to google it as soon as I've posted this.

The world is a very big place.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:25 pm UTC

"Stop, drop, and roll" is what you do when you catch on fire.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:30 pm UTC

Unless you're actually in the middle of a firewalk. Then that's not so wise. (But then the same might be said about the firewalking. :P)

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:53 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:Unless you're actually in the middle of a firewalk. Then that's not so wise. (But then the same might be said about the firewalking. :P)

For most firewalks, dropping and rolling to one side is fine (stopping may not be) - they tend to be fairly narrow...

Carteeg_Struve

Postby Carteeg_Struve » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:44 am UTC

God dammit. I just got "We Didn't Start The Fire" out of my head! Now it's back! *weeps*

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:00 am UTC

That lyric was never out of your head. It was always burning, since the world's been turning.

(You didn't light it, but tried to fight it.)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”