1766: "Apple Spectrum"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

commodorejohn

Re: 1766: "Apple Spectrum"

Postby commodorejohn » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:44 pm UTC

Darkhand wrote:Braeburn master race represent!

I used to love Braeburns, but it seems like I can never buy any anymore that aren't terribly mealy...
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

peteispo

Postby peteispo » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:08 pm UTC

I've never come across Honeycrisp over here, but I really like tart apples (Granny Smith FTW) so I probably wouldn't get that.
Also, what's with the Red Delicious? Again, not much of that here, but Golden Delicious (another oxymoron) is what I think the tree in my garden produces. Pretty awful really.
When I want something a bit sweeter, Russets are really good if visually unappealing, and the middle ground of Braeburn, Cox's Orange Pippins, Gala and Fuji are OK.
Pink Lady is nice but expensive here: our local Ladies Rugby Team have just got sponsorship from the Pink Lady brand and now wear shirts with the red stripes replaced by pink...

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:21 pm UTC

I was hoping the joke here would be something like a spectrum from Red Delicious through Golden Delicious through Green Delicious, then like Cyan Delicious and Blue Delicious and I dunno maybe an Indigo or Violet Delicious depending on what spectrum terminology you really want to use. Possibly with Infrared or Ultraviolet delicious drawn in dotted lines to the left and right, respectively.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

deskjethp

Postby deskjethp » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:08 pm UTC

peteispo wrote:Also, what's with the Red Delicious?

Red Delicious don't really taste like anything? Very little flavor.

Non-alcoholic cider is the best though.
arbivark wrote:when i was first a tenant at 19, i was probably a nuisance .. a bother, to the landlord because i'd do stuff like, hey there's a fireplace here, get me a hammer, hey if i make a hole in my ceiling there's an attic that runs the length of the rowhouses.

TV4Fun

Postby TV4Fun » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:27 am UTC

A simple answer to the question in the title text would be that you happened to bring a bag of apples with you and could plant the seeds.
$_[0] wrote:rule 2:
Once a relationship ends, physical access to all relevant machinery is denied.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:47 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:I was hoping the joke here would be something like a spectrum from Red Delicious through Golden Delicious through Green Delicious, then like Cyan Delicious and Blue Delicious and I dunno maybe an Indigo or Violet Delicious depending on what spectrum terminology you really want to use. Possibly with Infrared or Ultraviolet delicious drawn in dotted lines to the left and right, respectively.

And then for the real foody-techy guys, Radio Delicious, Micro Delicious, X Delicious, Gamma Delicious and Cosmic Delicious.

All of which, pace Dave Barry, would be good names for rock bands.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:48 am UTC

TV4Fun wrote:A simple answer to the question in the title text would be that you happened to bring a bag of apples with you and could plant the seeds.

That wouldn't result in just one type of apple... Even if it was a bag of just one type of apple. Even if you had just one apple. You might not even be so constrained if you successfully cultivated just a single seed, thanks to the very real possibility of bud sports! ;)

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:52 am UTC

Locoluis wrote:
Sizik wrote:So, an island with an apple tree?

Apple trees grow in temperate and mild sub-tropical climates, require good irrigation and don't take coastal conditions too well.
You need an island large enough to contain a sheltered valley. And a deserted island that can support natural apple growing will most likely feature a small orchard, not a single tree.

It would have to feature at least two trees, since apple trees cannot self-pollinate. Just one tree on your island, and you'll have to develop a taste for apple blossoms...

rhomboidal wrote:My personal favorite on the Apple Spectrum is the "Infrared Delicious."

The self-baking pies are the best part!

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:08 am UTC

I just wish there were an easy way to get an ID on a particular crop of apples. We have two trees (left) in our backyard that grow some kind of mostly-reddish apple that's tart enough for baking but also makes good applesauce. They were there when my parents moved in and they didn't think to ask.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:10 am UTC

I just realized I've never eaten a Honeycrisp apple by itself; I've only ever used them for cooking. Gotta correct that next chance I get. The best for eating by themselves are Empire and Granny Smith. They're crisp, juicy, have good texture, good size, and good skin. I remember liking Red Delicious as a kid, but only if it was peeled. To this day, I find the skin of a Red Delicious nearly impossible to chew, not because of aversion to the taste, but because it's so thick and tough.

Cortland, of course, is an essential cooking apple. I've never seen an apple pie recipe not call for Cortland apples. I find that swapping one of them out for a Honeycrisp seems to work well.

Some people swear by Gala and Fuji for eating by themselves, but I find them both pretty bland. But the true worst type of apple is McIntosh. Good for apple sauce and not much else.
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

Showsni

Postby Showsni » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:54 am UTC

Shouldn't the "doing their own thing" spectrum be cooking apples like Bramley?

I'm not sure if we have Red Delicious or Honeycrisp in our supermarket. I think we have Braeburn, Pink Lady, Jazz, Granny Smith, Cox's, Golden Delicious, Gala, Bramley... and something they just label as "dessert apples."

addams

Postby addams » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:19 am UTC

Reka wrote:I've always wondered: why do people still grow red delicious apples? Is there anyone in this universe who likes them?

Yes.
Me.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:05 am UTC

da Doctah wrote:And then for the real foody-techy guys, Radio Delicious, Micro Delicious, X Delicious, Gamma Delicious and Cosmic Delicious.

All of which, pace Dave Barry, would be good names for rock bands.

Yep, Radio Delicious is absolutely the name of my new band I just decided to form at some point.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup

Phasma Felis

Postby Phasma Felis » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:52 am UTC

If I were trapped on a desert island, and could have an unlimited supply of any one type of apple, I would point my unlimited apple supply at the ocean and continue summoning them until someone came to investigate the gigantic apple-colored stain on the globe.

Also, Honeycrisp. Obviously.

Phasma Felis

Postby Phasma Felis » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:53 am UTC

SpringLoaded12 wrote:I just realized I've never eaten a Honeycrisp apple by itself; I've only ever used them for cooking. Gotta correct that next chance I get.

How in God's name did you manage to chop up and cook multiple apples without any of the bits winding up in your mouth? I think you just failed the Turing test. Or at least the Voight-Kampff.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:23 am UTC

deskjethp wrote:
peteispo wrote:Also, what's with the Red Delicious?

Non-alcoholic cider is the best though.

Since cider is just apple wine, wouldn't that make non-alcoholic cider just apple juice with the sugar removed?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:06 pm UTC

No, apple cider is unprocessed apple juice with the sugar still in. It's what you get when you squeeze apples hard enough and take out most of the bits, before letting it ferment.

(In the US, "apple cider" generally refers to this type, with "hard cider" for the alcoholic kind.)
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:16 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:All three of those I'm very meh on. Honeycrisp are too sweet for me, I like 'em much more tart. Arkansas Black, Winesap, Johnathan, Cripps Pink, Pink Perl, Gravenstein for me. Thanks.

I agree (though I only know two of the kinds on your personal list); but then, a comic that lumps almost every variety of apple on the planet into "regular" probably has nothing to teach anyone who actually likes apples.

Cygnwulf

Postby Cygnwulf » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:05 pm UTC

I was glad to see someone mention the problems with breeding in the red delicious apples. Unfortunately much of the supermarket variety produce has suffered this fate. Red Delicious apples, the generic 'hothouse' tomatoes (and what most grocery stores pass off as a 'Roma'), Iceberg Lettuce, and many other picture perfect varieties of produce have been bred for abundance, appearance, shelf life, and durability for transport, and flavor has always been low on the list. Fortunately in recent years consumers have begun to show a desire for better flavor over appearance, and growers (The smaller, more agile producers) are starting to respond. which is why when I was growing up, my local grocery store would usually only have 3 varieties of apples - Red Delicious, Golden Delicious, and Granny Smith, and these days it's very common for the same store that I was going to when I was 10 to now also have at the least Fuji ,Pink Lady, and sometimes others too.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:24 pm UTC

There once was a lady from Hyde,
Who ate a green apple and died.
While her lover lamented,
The apple fermented,
And made cider inside her inside.

Unclevertitle

Postby Unclevertitle » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:01 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:For those looking to find Honeycrisp (or any other variety) in the US (or several other countries), this website shows a map of orchards that grow them.

Based on that map Pennsylvania is currently being smothered by Honeycrips Orchards. So now I'm thinking I've probably had them before (likely several times even) but just hadn't heard the name.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:11 pm UTC

Cygnwulf wrote:Red Delicious apples, the generic 'hothouse' tomatoes (and what most grocery stores pass off as a 'Roma'), Iceberg Lettuce, and many other picture perfect varieties of produce have been bred for abundance, appearance, shelf life, and durability for transport, and flavor has always been low on the list.

Lettuce can haz flavour? I thought it was supposed to be pure texture (with vitamins).
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:17 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
Cygnwulf wrote:Red Delicious apples, the generic 'hothouse' tomatoes (and what most grocery stores pass off as a 'Roma'), Iceberg Lettuce, and many other picture perfect varieties of produce have been bred for abundance, appearance, shelf life, and durability for transport, and flavor has always been low on the list.
Lettuce can haz flavour? I thought it was supposed to be pure texture (with vitamins).
For one thing, vitamins have flavor. For another, which type of lettuce are you talking about?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

ionFreeman

What's a regular apple? Is that the abstraction "Apple"?

Postby ionFreeman » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:13 pm UTC

Also, if you like apples, try a Black Twig apple. I may not be an expert, but I live in a city with an official apple, the Newton, which has to count for something

Mike Rosoft

My little apple

Postby Mike Rosoft » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:31 pm UTC

Come on, this is the second page of this thread and nobody mentioned yet:
* Braeburn
* Granny Smith
* McIntosh (not to be confused with ...)
* Golden Delicious (okay, this is cheating a bit)
* Apple Bloom
* Applejack

freezeblade

Re: My little apple

Postby freezeblade » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:29 pm UTC

Mike Rosoft wrote:Come on, this is the second page of this thread and nobody mentioned yet:
* Braeburn
* Granny Smith
* McIntosh (not to be confused with ...)
* Golden Delicious (okay, this is cheating a bit)
* Apple Bloom
* Applejack

People most certainly have mentioned Braeburns and Granny Smiths, did you not read the thread?
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:55 pm UTC

I definitely saw McIntosh and Golden Delicious mentioned too.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:10 pm UTC

Everyone else is talking about apples. He, for some reason, is talking about My Little Pony characters named for apples... (I guess he lives below the graph.)

All_¥our_Bass

Postby All_¥our_Bass » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:43 pm UTC

I was hoping that there would be a joke about Apple the company in addition to the edible variety.

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:27 am UTC

All_¥our_Bass wrote:I was hoping that there would be a joke about Apple the company in addition to the edible variety.

Wish granted!
- Bjarne Stroustrup

Phasma Felis

Re: My little apple

Postby Phasma Felis » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:02 am UTC

freezeblade wrote:
Mike Rosoft wrote:People most certainly have mentioned Braeburns and Granny Smiths, did you not read the thread?

Try the links.

gormster

Postby gormster » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:23 am UTC

Oh Randall, did you not learn your lesson from last time? Fruit opinions are the spawn of hatemail.
Eddie Izzard wrote:And poetry! Poetry is a lot like music, only less notes and more words.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:37 am UTC

gormster wrote:Oh Randall, did you not learn your lesson from last time? Fruit opinions are the spawn of hatemail.

With apples, there is always the temptation....

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:37 am UTC

Unclevertitle wrote:Based on that map Pennsylvania is currently being smothered by Honeycrips Orchards.

Where you're liable to get shot for eating the wrong color of apple.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

cucio

Postby cucio » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:00 am UTC

commodorejohn wrote:
All_¥our_Bass wrote:I was hoping that there would be a joke about Apple the company in addition to the edible variety.

Wish granted!

You have to be a geek well into your forties to get it, though. :)

DavesNotHere

Postby DavesNotHere » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:46 am UTC

IANAB (I am not a botanist) - so some of this could be wrong.

Almost apples harvested are selected grafts of scion (the fruit bearing stock) onto hardier rootstock. (Many fruits are grown in this manner.)
Since the same (combined) tree is harvested year after year eventually the tree is "played out". Which tends to mean it isn't productive and/or the fruits produced are of lesser quality.

If in the growing region where your apples come from this is widespread ... and the local industry has NOT replanted ... then the likely result is bringing fruit home that tastes like crap. (That's a technical term.)

In some regions Red Delicious has become bland - and the ultimate crime for an apple - mealy.
Likewise McIntosh which was juicy and crisp and flavorful has in some markets developed a taste like cardboard.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:02 am UTC

Which Apple the company would that be?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:18 pm UTC

cucio wrote:
commodorejohn wrote:

Wish granted!

You have to be a geek well into your forties to get it, though. :)
Or you have to be someone who can figure out from context that the Spectrum was a device made by a company called Sinclaire.
---

(he/him/his)

david.windsor

Postby david.windsor » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:41 pm UTC

cucio wrote:When I saw this comic title appear on my RSS reader, the first thing I thought was: "but the Spectrum was made by Sinclair, not Apple!" :wink:

damn I'm old, I got that reference...
"All those ... moments, will be lost ... in time, like tears ... in rain."

david.windsor

Postby david.windsor » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:59 pm UTC

Ambrosia, yummy.
"All those ... moments, will be lost ... in time, like tears ... in rain."

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”