1705: "Pokémon Go"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Brian-M

Re: 1705: "Pokémon Go"

Postby Brian-M » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:51 pm UTC

jozwa wrote:Still not available in the rest of the world. Though all kinds of clone/scam games seem to be popping up in the App Store.

It IS available here in Australia. It's winter this side of the equator, and I've seen groups of college students standing around in the freezing wind and drizzling rain in the dark at 9:00 pm trying to catch whatever Pokemon happened to be around the area.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:33 pm UTC

Speedlock just punishes you for wanting to play games when you're a passenger. For a game that's bound to be popular with kids, this seems like a significant oversight.

...Wait, no, that's not right; this game can't be aimed at kids; it requires leaving the house and going places on foot, and kids aren't allowed to do that anymore because outside is full of pedophiles.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:26 pm UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:...Wait, no, that's not right; this game can't be aimed at kids; it requires leaving the house and going places on foot, and kids aren't allowed to do that anymore because outside is full of pedophiles.

No, paedophiles sit on bedroom computers (and they're old, so can't work out how to sit on smartphones) so outside away from those is the best place to be, coincidentally also away from the 99.999% of accidents that happen in the home.

And thus the juvenocracy begins.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:39 pm UTC

I want to know how hard it would be to get into the system and add pokemon spawns to really awesome and/or inappropriate places ... like the crevasses on the Glacier du Geant, the top of Rotstock, the picnic spot behind Thornton Force, the tops of the Torres del Paine, Heathrow terminal 5's arrivals hall, the runway at RAF Waddington, certain parts of Morecambe Bay, halfway up Sour Milk Ghyll (footpath closed due to being dangerous), the Bad Step on Sharp Edge, somewhere inside the wolf enclosure at the Highlands Wildlife Park, a real-life Cute Furry Thing spawn spot ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUV9wdV4yQE ), the glass box on the Aiguille du Midi, the summit of the Matterhorn, the altars of York Minster, St Paul's Cathedral and the Basilica de la Sagrada Familia, the Pope's balcony in the Vatican, Bran Castle, the butts on a firing range, ...
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

teelo

Postby teelo » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:13 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:I want to know how hard it would be to get into the system and add pokemon spawns to really awesome and/or inappropriate places ... like the crevasses on the Glacier du Geant, the top of Rotstock, the picnic spot behind Thornton Force, the tops of the Torres del Paine, Heathrow terminal 5's arrivals hall, the runway at RAF Waddington, certain parts of Morecambe Bay, halfway up Sour Milk Ghyll (footpath closed due to being dangerous), the Bad Step on Sharp Edge, somewhere inside the wolf enclosure at the Highlands Wildlife Park, a real-life Cute Furry Thing spawn spot ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUV9wdV4yQE ), the glass box on the Aiguille du Midi, the summit of the Matterhorn, the altars of York Minster, St Paul's Cathedral and the Basilica de la Sagrada Familia, the Pope's balcony in the Vatican, Bran Castle, the butts on a firing range, ...

The games triangulation system is pretty shitty; it may as well not even exist. Either you're in range to tag something when it spawns or you're not. People wouldn't even notice where you've placed those spawns.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:26 pm UTC

Oh, so I'd need to get into that ... Beacon?
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

peskyheart

Postby peskyheart » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:27 pm UTC

:idea: :idea:
This topic would make for an excellent update to 1143: Location.
:mrgreen:

Hafting

Postby Hafting » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:19 am UTC

[quote="HES"]I'm not really into Pokémon. Though I'm not sure that works as a condescending dismissal when the topic actually is Pokémon.

It works fine for that too. When the topic is Pokémon, it is because they care about Pokémon. And you dismiss "them and their fluff" condescendingly…

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:35 am UTC

At a dinner with the girlfriend's family a few weeks ago, her ~12yo nephew kept saying just his name over and over again, trying to be annoying I guess. I asked if he was "a pokey-man" now, and the taken-back look of incredulity on his face was priceless.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:00 am UTC

JPatten wrote:It is interesting, why is this so different than the Ingress players (the game engine it uses ). Been an ingress player for a few years now and there weren't near the number of articles about the distraction of the game or the crime opportunity. OR is this because Pokemon is a much bigger and well known brand?

Smurf or Frog?
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

JPatten

Postby JPatten » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:40 pm UTC

Smurf, LVL 12.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:07 pm UTC

Smurfers unite!
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

JPatten

Postby JPatten » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:16 pm UTC

At the risk of going completely off the rails... ... yes :)

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:03 am UTC

Frog 16. :)
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

JPatten

Postby JPatten » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:18 pm UTC

Frog? well.. nobody is perfect ;)

I was able to get up to 523 days on my hacking streak before it got broken. But otherwise I am a fairly casual player. Family and work keep me too busy to really dedicate a lot of time to really pursue the levels.

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:58 pm UTC

Breaking my hacking streak was the best video game present I have ever given myself.

JPatten

Postby JPatten » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:08 pm UTC

What I mean was I missed day 524 and stopped the streak. I don't think I am ready to try and commit again to beating that.

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:36 pm UTC

My condolences for your streak and my congratulations for your newfound freedom.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”