1667: "Algorithms"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

m1el

1667: "Algorithms"

Postby m1el » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:06 am UTC

Title text: There was a schism in 2007, when a sect advocating OpenOffice created a fork of Sunday.xlsx and maintained it independently for several months. The efforts to reconcile the conflicting schedules led to the reinvention, within the cells of the spreadsheet, of modern version control.

I've been doing web scraping for 10 years, and I still run into web-sites that give me troubles.

Farabor

Re: 1667: "Algorithms"

Postby Farabor » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:12 am UTC

I have a compsci friend who's often griped about people misusing excel for things that it's not suited for :)

cyanyoshi

Postby cyanyoshi » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:17 am UTC

Aaaand today I learned there are video games made in Excel. I know what I'm doing this weekend! :wink:

sotanaht

Postby sotanaht » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:54 am UTC

cyanyoshi wrote:Aaaand today I learned there are video games made in Excel. I know what I'm doing this weekend! :wink:

What, you've never heard of Eve Online?

Yu_p

Postby Yu_p » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:33 am UTC

sotanaht wrote:
cyanyoshi wrote:Aaaand today I learned there are video games made in Excel. I know what I'm doing this weekend! :wink:

That one is played in Excel.

I found "6 Entertaining Games Made Entirely in Microsoft Excel" though. When I read cyanyoshi's post I honestly thought it a reference to some April fools hoax :roll:

CharonPDX

Postby CharonPDX » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:19 am UTC

And that line is logarithmic, right?

Because I know I have 15 year old, giant spreadsheets that defy the laws of mathematics.

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:27 am UTC

sotanaht wrote:What, you've never heard of Eve Online?

EVE is actually written in Python.

Spoiler:

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/python

import antigravity

# I also sampled everything in the booster cabinet.
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:05 am UTC

Farabor wrote:I have a compsci friend who's often griped about people misusing excel for things that it's not suited for :)

Which would be, oh, yeah, Everything

Oddly enough, I wrote a self-playing version of Pong in Excel many MANY years ago. My primary intent was to have an instant riposte whenever some dope says "I can do [this weird thing] in Excel." I boot up Pong and say "You can but that doesn't mean you should."
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Rossegacebes

Postby Rossegacebes » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:38 am UTC

Farabor wrote:I have a compsci friend who's often griped about people misusing excel for things that it's not suited for :)

My main heterodox use of Excel is to print large pictures on more than one page. And I'd say it is quite suited for it.

teelo

Postby teelo » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:11 pm UTC

I've been a programmer for many years, and its made me reconsider my own expertise since after seeing this comic, I'm left asking "wtf is leftpad?".

After googling it, I now understand. Doesn't help that the xkcd font doesn't show lower/upper case.

HES

Postby HES » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:17 pm UTC

I use Excel to crash my computer. It's very well suited to that.
He/Him/His Image

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:42 pm UTC

It's fun to take a pop at Microsoft and all, and I'll gladly join in criticizing Word, Visio etc (don't get me started on "Only label and number"!) but in fairness, Excel is by far the most stable and reliable of the MS Office applications. In my experience, by comparison with its stablemates, it hardly ever crashes or freezes and maintains good performance even for large documents.

And spreadsheets in general are extremely useful for a lot of applications; it's very common to want to tabulate and process large arrays of numbers. It's a very quick way to get started on a problem. Admittedly there often comes a point at which another solution is better; an SQL database or MATLAB script, say, but a spreadsheet is unrivalled for how quickly you can start playing with the data, plot graphs etc. A lot of the time that's all you need to do.

Of course you can get in a real mess with a spreadsheet; the biggest drawbacks are the way in which all the formulae are hidden unless you look at them explicitly, and the way in which they effectively represent an unrolled loop, in which it's possible for some cells to have different formulae to others, or to mess up relative and absolute references, etc. They're also limited in the types of processing they can do easily; anything requiring iteration is tricky, for example. This is where macros and VBA come in, and the moment you start reaching for that particular chainsaw, you need to ask yourself whether it's time to move to something else.

As for the comic itself, yeah, those spreadsheets exist, and I've created a few in my time. But I've got better at knowing when to migrate to something more suitable.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

jgh

Postby jgh » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:13 pm UTC

I agree Excel is a very good product, I've heard it's mainly because the developers wall themselves off from the rest of Microsoft and refuse to be dragged down with them.

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:20 pm UTC

The alt-text is terrifyingly plausible.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:55 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:My primary intent was to have an instant riposte whenever some dope says "I can do [this weird thing] in Excel." I boot up Pong and say "You can but that doesn't mean you should."

That's obviously something you definitely should have made, then, to prove that there's such things that shouldn't be made...

...wait, what?

;)

madaco

Postby madaco » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:25 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
cellocgw wrote:My primary intent was to have an instant riposte whenever some dope says "I can do [this weird thing] in Excel." I boot up Pong and say "You can but that doesn't mean you should."

That's obviously something you definitely should have made, then, to prove that there's such things that shouldn't be made...

...wait, what?

;)

Like a work of art made to make the point that a work of art doesn't need to make a point, which does so by "not making a point".
I found my old forum signature to be awkward, so I'm changing it to this until I pick a better one.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:48 pm UTC

jgh wrote:I agree Excel is a very good product, I've heard it's mainly because the developers wall themselves off from the rest of Microsoft and refuse to be dragged down with them.

Yeah, I also heard that they put their very best people on it. Also, I was always suspicious of the old 256-column and 65536-row limits. I always had the impression that the source code looked a bit like:

void main (int ac, char **av)
{
   char cells[65536][256][1024];

The robustness and stability would be explained by the fact that the whole thing was just statically allocated and there was none of this dynamic allocation, factory classes and other OO jiggery-pokery to go wrong. Over time I had to accept that it's just too powerful to really be like that, but that's how it feels all the same.

micha8s

Postby micha8s » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:19 pm UTC

How's this for complicated -- for work, a long time ago, I built a spreadsheet that modelled SHA-1. It had each of the mixing registers (x[0]..x[15]) and each of the digest registers (aa..ee) horizontally, and vertically represented each round. So each SHA-1 computation took 80 rows.

I used this to help debug an RTL implementation of SHA-1

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:29 pm UTC

madaco wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:

...wait, what?

;)

Like a work of art made to make the point that a work of art doesn't need to make a point, which does so by "not making a point".

I guess I need to rename my Excel workbook "Ceci n'est pas un Excel Faire-Livre" (with huge apologies to everyone who actually speaks French)
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:52 pm UTC

teelo wrote:I've been a programmer for many years, and its made me reconsider my own expertise since after seeing this comic, I'm left asking "wtf is leftpad?".

After googling it, I now understand. Doesn't help that the xkcd font doesn't show lower/upper case.

I just looked up leftpad. Reading about this (nice summary here) made me want to run screaming back to assembly language. Ye gods.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

squigz

Postby squigz » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:56 pm UTC

There are insane things written in xls spreadsheets.

Here is a full 3d renderer,
http://www.etheus.net/XL3DRender

crystalmeph

Postby crystalmeph » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:31 pm UTC

commodorejohn wrote:
teelo wrote:I've been a programmer for many years, and its made me reconsider my own expertise since after seeing this comic, I'm left asking "wtf is leftpad?".

I just looked up leftpad. Reading about this (nice summary here) made me want to run screaming back to assembly language. Ye gods.

Following the link trail back up to it's source brings you here. This tiny piece of code caused a proper saga to unfold. I do embedded code, not JavaScript, and I guess this either didn't hit the front page of my usual tech-news sources, or it rose onto and fell off of the front page while I was asleep. It's like a small taste of what's to come as we keep increasing the complexity of our systems-on-systems-on-systems à la 1629.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:17 pm UTC

squigz wrote:There are insane things written in xls spreadsheets.

Here is a full 3d renderer,
http://www.etheus.net/XL3DRender

I got my hopes up, but the second sentence already states it's a visual basic script. Report back when you have a renderer in actual cell formulas. (+5 internets if it's a raytracer or other iterative algorithm, +5 if it renders polygons and +10 if it supports lighting or textures) :roll:

ycc

Postby ycc » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:06 pm UTC

Ok this is really timely for me. I am planning a trip to Europe and every time I go on a trip (solo or with others) I use a Google spreadsheet to manage the itinerary, bookings, packing list, todo's, and expense tracking to automatically figure out who owes how much to whom. Only problem is number of spreadsheets have been growing steadily, and each time I need to pull in different features, making it hard to make a single template. I'm starting to be tempted to write a spreadsheet plugin to merge (so I can sync different spreadsheets templates), make submodules (to pull in custom sheets), branch and clone, etc. I think I'm going to reinvent Git at this point…

I see these kind of sentiments sometimes and I think it's a sort of CS elitism that doesn't make sense (I'm a professional programmer myself). Spreadsheets is actually a very useful way of thinking about data, and setting one up and sharing them is infinitely easier than setting up a database as well. When you "program" spreadsheets you also program them in a relational way (by referencing other cells within cells) instead of a procedural paradigm like most languages, meaning you can much quicker set up complex relationships. It's really great for certain uses. I try to steer clear of VBScript or any other scripting though. The moment you start to rely heavy on them you may be venturing into areas where spreadsheets are not the right solution.

P.S. For those wondering what leftpad is read this: http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... -internet/ It's a pretty timely joke

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:53 pm UTC

crystalmeph wrote:This tiny piece of code caused a proper saga to unfold.

Untried/untested version of leftpad in Perl. (LValue-driven version(s), for ease of use in rest of code. In this instance without bits that strict/warnings want you to use, that I am normally loathed to do without. And none of that Package bumf too because... why even put it in a package? But, if you do, you can just add said bumf!)

#!/bin/perl

sub leftpad { $ch=$_[2]||" "; $len=($_[1]||0);
  # That line sets up the things we want to work with out of @_,
  # allowing omission of one (or, extraordinarily, both!) non-string parts.
  # No check for an original string, I know, or that it's not a reference passed.  Do that if you want!
  # But surely this is self-explanatory. Why am I even commenting this thing?

while ((length $_[0]) < $len) {substr $_[0],0,0,$ch}
  # That's the only line *needed*!

# while ((length $_[0]) < $len) {   # Three
#   substr $_[0],0,0,$ch            # line
# }                                 # version...
  # But I always feel sorry for a lone } straight after a single simple line straight after a starting {...

}

# Another version
sub leftpad2 { $ch=$_[2]||" "; $len=($_[1]||0); # Same start.
  { (length($_[0]) < $len)?substr $_[0],0,0,$ch:return; redo }
  # Depends on the coder as to whether this is readable or not.  You understand ?: forking and block-redo, yes?
}

# Yet another version (now loopless!)
sub leftpad3 { $ch=$_[2]//" "; $add=($_[1]//0)-length($_[0]); # Slightly different start.
                                   # Includes ^^some handy^^ precalculation.
  if($add>0) { $_[0]=($ch x $add).$_[0] } # The 'standard' way of arranging the logic.

# if($add>0) {                            # Split-line version of the above...
#   $_[0]=($ch x $add).$_[0]              # ...but does it make it...
# }                                       # ...any clearer?

# $_[0]=($ch x $add).$_[0] if $add>0;     # Another way of arranging the logic.  Nice Perl.  Good boy, Perl.
                                          # But you /do/ spoil me with so many options!

# ($add>0) && ($_[0]=($ch x $add).$_[0])  # Short-circuited logic method, again.  It all works the same.
                                          # TIMTOWTDI, and there's many, many more yet...

}

$string="abcdefg";        print ">".$string."\n"; # >abcdefg
leftpad $string,10,"x";   print ">".$string."\n"; # >xxxabcdefg
leftpad $string,15;       print ">".$string."\n"; # >     xxxabcdefg
leftpad $string,20,"y";   print ">".$string."\n"; # >yyyyy     xxxabcdefg
leftpad $string;          print ">".$string."\n"; # >yyyyy     xxxabcdefg   (Unless we set a non-zero default!)
leftpad2 $string,25,"2";  print ">".$string."\n"; # >22222yyyyy     xxxabcdefg
leftpad3 $string,30,"3";  print ">".$string."\n"; # >3333322222yyyyy     xxxabcdefg
leftpad3 $string,35;      print ">".$string."\n"; # >     3333322222yyyyy     xxxabcdefg
leftpad3 $string;         print ">".$string."\n"; # >     3333322222yyyyy     xxxabcdefg  (Again, zero as default!)

Obviously I'd do it differently in C(flavour), but... I'd probably use a variant upon leftpad3's "add" variable and no loop. No (user-defined) loop means less possibility of going into an infinite one because of an untrapped error!
Last edited by Soupspoon on Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:36 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:26 am UTC

(Whoops, didn't realise I was actually the last poster, when I came back after a break and started to read further through the thread. But on different aspects, so I'll keep them separate now that they are.)

ycc wrote:I try to steer clear of VBScript or any other scripting though.
This reflects my own use of Excel (or Calc, in OpenOffice/etc).

I'll do anything that I can do with cell Formulae (including Conditional Formatting, or whatever it's called in whatever package I'm using at a time), but I'll steer clear of scripting in spreadsheets (or Docs). If I need to use actual scripting, I'll just code a program of my own to do it all. And it'll probably be neater, by that point, than the mess I would have gotten the 'responsive' spreadsheet into... even if my replacement system was using my own rather personalised style of Perl!

(Mind you, some of that attitude comes from the fears in the '90s about macro viruses. I made sure that spreadsheets I used announced if they were using macros, making me aware that they infected, because I knew I hadn't put any in there... Not that I can ever remember it happening to me, anyway.)

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:52 am UTC

Yu_p wrote:
sotanaht wrote:

That one is played in Excel.
When I found that people *cough*waveney*cough* were playing Sandcastle Builder in Excel, it set off my quest to make the game as weird and complicated as possible.
(That's the game that began as the 1190: Time discussion thread version of Cookie Clicker.)

And wow, I didn't know about the whole Leftpad debacle. https://github.com/stevemao/left-pad/issues/4
http://www.haneycodes.net/npm-left-pad- ... o-program/
Ugh, it makes me feel almost ashamed to be a software engineer.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

eidako

Postby eidako » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:38 am UTC

crystalmeph wrote:Following the link trail back up to it's source brings you here. This tiny piece of code caused a proper saga to unfold.

This is why I prefer reinventing the wheel. Sure, it takes longer, and sometimes my wheels are a bit rectangular, but at least they don't fall off when a single person decides nobody can use the lug nuts they designed anymore.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:02 am UTC

cellocgw wrote:I guess I need to rename my Excel workbook "Ceci n'est pas un Excel Faire-Livre" (with huge apologies to everyone who actually speaks French)

这不是琵琶

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:32 am UTC

cellocgw wrote:I guess I need to rename my Excel workbook "Ceci n'est pas un Excel Faire-Livre" (with huge apologies to everyone who actually speaks French)

French, like Icelandic, tends to take the xenophobic approach to language: "If there's a perfectly good loan word or transliteration available, by golly we'd darned well better use our own instead."

As such I believe an Excel workbook is a "classeur Excel" in French.

I think that fills my quota for learning new things today, so anything that happens at work from now on will be promptly forgotten.
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:43 am UTC

eviloatmeal wrote:

French, like Icelandic, tends to take the xenophobic approach to language: "If there's a perfectly good loan word or transliteration available, by golly we'd darned well better use our own instead."

I think that fills my quota for learning new things today, so anything that happens at work from now on will be promptly forgotten.

In fairness to French / Microsoft, classeur appears (according to my Oxford-Hachette) to mean "ring binder", so in this instance it could be seen as more a question of finding an appropriate metaphor in the world of dead-tree-based stationery. It seems to me that they've done better than they did in English, since a ring binder lets you take out the individual sheets and reorder them, unlike a "workbook" which I imagine being bound with thread and glue. I can also imagine the individual sheets being A3 or larger, able to be unfolded one at a time to see the whole sheet.

karhell

Postby karhell » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:22 am UTC

orthogon wrote:
eviloatmeal wrote:

classeur appears (according to my Oxford-Hachette) to mean "ring binder"

There's no "appears" here, that's precisely what it means.
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:31 am UTC

karhell wrote:
orthogon wrote:classeur appears (according to my Oxford-Hachette) to mean "ring binder"

There's no "appears" here, that's precisely what it means.

Yes, OK, that was partly me using an unnecessary qualifier, particularly since I'd cited my source. However, the dictionary also lists "filing cabinet" as an alternative sense; although a ring binder seemed a much better metaphor, it was surmise on my part that that sense is what Microsoft had in mind when they chose the word. I worked in France for a while and picked up some of the vocabulary for office stationery and equipment, but I hadn't come across classeur in either the papery or IT contexts. (Though I love it that a paperclip is a trombone!)

I've had trouble with this before, because computing concepts don't map that well to stationery. A long time ago I was helping a Anglo-German friend with her (German language) PC, and asked what Datei meant; she instantly said "it's a folder". Of course in real life a file and a folder are more or less the same thing, but I was so immersed in the IT mindset that I took her translation too literally and was confused until I though about it further. I think this might be part of the problem some people have with filesystems as a concept, because the ability to nest arbitrarily doesn't exist in the real world. You might put documents into a plastic sleeve, then put them in a folder, then you might put the folder in a suspended wallet, put that in a filing cabinet drawer. If you want higher levels of hierarchy, you have to go to different drawers, different filing cabinets, and ultimately rows, rooms and buildings. You can't just put one filing cabinet inside another like you can on a computer filesystem.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:29 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:Of course in real life a file and a folder are more or less the same thing,
...a (second-level) abstract term for a directory, for the benefit of the GUI generation who now had to work with someone's ideas of what nice little pictures should be used. ;)

(Second-level because the CLI lot were already (mis)using "directory", or other terms, because of non-visual conceptual equivalences between the world of data to the world of real life.)

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:50 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
orthogon wrote:Of course in real life a file and a folder are more or less the same thing,
...a (second-level) abstract term for a directory, for the benefit of the GUI generation who now had to work with someone's ideas of what nice little pictures should be used. ;)

(Second-level because the CLI lot were already (mis)using "directory", or other terms, because of non-visual conceptual equivalences between the world of data to the world of real life.)

Interesting point. "Folder" is a much better word for what it does; "directory" refers more to how it's implemented under the hood: a listing of files that belong together. As soon as computers were used by non-geeks, it was entirely appropriate to use a more descriptive term.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:00 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:

Interesting point. "Folder" is a much better word for what it does; "directory" refers more to how it's implemented under the hood: a listing of files that belong together. As soon as computers were used by non-geeks, it was entirely appropriate to use a more descriptive term.

The confusion (if there is any) being that as a data structure, it is the ID of a virtual "container", such as a folder (or a file, if that weren't already better used as a simple container for data, rather than a container for <simple containers of data>), but as a string it's a "thing that directs". Then you start wondering about whether it's like a phone directory (a container of a list of references), but realise that it's also like a specific signpost finger that the user often shows to the computer.

Indeed, it's a "path" (or route), which is something I meant to add above. ;)

(In some other universe, 'folders' are known as "breadcrumbs", I'm sure. Maybe in the universe where Microsoft Bob version 10 is all the rage..!)

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:03 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:it's also like a specific signpost finger that the user often shows to the computer.

You can guess which specific finger I often show to my computer. ;-)

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:00 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:

In REAL real life, aka 'meatspace' , a folder is what you put your file(s) into. Then you put the folder into a binder, and put that into a Pendaflex hanging folder, and put that into a file cabinet's drawer. Now abstractisize *that* into your GUI :twisted:
Former OTTer

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:09 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:it's also like a specific signpost finger that the user often shows to the computer.

You can guess which specific finger I often show to my computer. ;-)

A fishfinger? I bet you also let your computer fry them.

ASW

Postby ASW » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:36 pm UTC

As the guy from nebraska who made the excel spreadsheet I take offense. The conversation goes more like this.
Me: Hey guys look at how you can organize the data if you collect and normalize it. All you need to do is put this into a database so you can get even cooler stuff. Whatever you do, don't use this spreadsheet to do this stuff.
Other: "Cool, send us a copy to look at"
...20 years passes
Other: "Hey, remember that spreadsheet you did a few years ago? It is being slow and weird..."
Me:....
Other: "So can you fix it?"
Me:...click.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”