1555: "Exoplanet Names 2"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Steve the Pocket

1555: "Exoplanet Names 2"

Postby Steve the Pocket » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:21 am UTC

Mouseover caption: I'm going to drive this Netherlands joke so far into the ground they'll have to build levees around it to keep the sea out.

For what it's worth, when I learned that there was already a (dwarf) planet in our own solar system they had named "Ceres", I was pretty disappointed because I was hoping they would save naming a planet after the Roman goddess of fertility until after we had discovered a planet with a for-real macrobiome.

Also I don't know why the "Netherlands joke" was even uniquely worth repeating in the first place, but skipping straight from New Netherlands to Netherlands IV makes it even more confusing.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

rhomboidal

Re: 1555: "Exoplanet Names 2"

Postby rhomboidal » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:39 am UTC

Personally, I'd compromise and call it, "Pluto II: PLUTO'S REVENNNNNGE!!!!!!-452b"

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:01 am UTC

I'm just wondering whether the apparent typo in 'Formalhaut' was deliberate or not. Other than perhaps that, he seems to have saved all the funny for the third column; the only other first-column irregularity I noticed is 'Andromidae', and that goes back to Part 1, #1253. Of course, it does have the word 'formal' in it, but that doesn't feel funny enough to justify it to me.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Dr What

Postby Dr What » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:05 am UTC

Oh, why Pluto again? If you have to use a dog's name, "Goofy" is better!

RDMgryphon

Postby RDMgryphon » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:19 am UTC

What, no "Bob (Earth II)" ?

Sir Lunch-a-lot

Postby Sir Lunch-a-lot » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:49 am UTC

RDMgryphon wrote:What, no "Bob (Earth II)" ?

I was thinking the exact same thing!

Pi is exactly three

Postby Pi is exactly three » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:36 am UTC

Is "Kevin Kostner" a typo, or a joke I'm not getting?
"We are the weirdos, Mister!"
--Fairuza Balk, The Craft

I have travelled from 1955 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:47 am UTC

ThisLand is quite amusing.
I noticed the reference to the previous comic, but only because it was the previous comic (I don't think I've actually seen their names listed before. And I don't remember hearing anyone mention their names back in the 90s.)
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:48 am UTC

I'm surprised the IAU has managed to keep out corporate naming rights to planets so far.

"iPlanet"

"Google Planet"

"Trump Megaplanet"

nowhereman

Postby nowhereman » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:03 am UTC

Pi is exactly three wrote:Is "Kevin Kostner" a typo, or a joke I'm not getting?

Joke you're not getting. Kevin Kostner played in a movie called "Waterworld". The plot was simple. After massive global warming, the world was somehow covered in so much water that all humans are forced to sail to and from city-like rafts because there is no land left. Cue mythical land that is not beneath water, kid who presumably knows where it is, and a pirate dude who is evil... for some reason.

It wasn't very good.

Anyway, I loved the two planets Dune and Arrakis. The would annoy me more than actually naming an exoplanet Pluto. At least there I could say "Pluto the planet" or "Pluto the dwarf planet". With the Arrakis/Dune combo, I would always worry that I am somehow confusing the two. Also, are we assuming that Arrakis/Dune are the only planets that have the much needed spice, or can we also take advantage of the Spice Girls planets? Whoever controls the spice controls the verse?

I apologize for that pun.
"God does not play dice with... Yahtzee!" - Little known quote from Einstein

Basilisc

Postby Basilisc » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:04 am UTC

I think there should be a planet called "Clitoris".

That is all.

Reecer6

Postby Reecer6 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:39 am UTC

That alt text was great because it's more or less exactly what I said when reading the list. Also apparently Randall's trying to make naming the Spice Girls a joke so he can ram it into the ground too.

Why does Netherlands VI get fancy lines around its Roman numerals but not New Jersey VI? Surely if New Jersey has expanded its dominion onto five other celestial bodies too, it also deserves them?

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:44 am UTC

nowhereman wrote:

Joke you're not getting. Kevin Kostner played in a movie called "Waterworld". The plot was simple. After massive global warming, the world was somehow covered in so much water that all humans are forced to sail to and from city-like rafts because there is no land left. Cue mythical land that is not beneath water, kid who presumably knows where it is, and a pirate dude who is evil... for some reason.

It wasn't very good.

Um. Kevin Costner.

I love the Netherlands joke and the Firefly reference and am generally going "Squeeee!" at the references to popular culture embedded in this one. Though I lament the lack of a Planet Bob.
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

grkvlt

Postby grkvlt » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:45 am UTC

nowhereman wrote:

Joke you're not getting. Kevin Kostner [...]

Or rather, typo, and maybe joke I'm not getting, since the actor's name is Kevin Costner.

EDIT: Ninja'd - posting anyway, because it's only my third time or something, and it's still exciting to post!
distributed systems hacker abstract visitor pattern {{citation-needed}}

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:54 am UTC

As a Dutchie, I loved the title-text.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:02 am UTC

It's just curious how accurately he knows our plans. Who could be the spy?
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:10 am UTC

*looks at avatar*

HE PROMISED ME ONE OF THE PLANETS IF I GAVE HIM INFORMATION ALRIGHT? :oops:
Also, Randall as supreme leader wouldn't be much worse than our current government.

rhomboidal wrote:Personally, I'd compromise and call it, "Pluto II: PLUTO'S REVENNNNNGE!!!!!!-452b"

Pluto II: Electric Plutaloo
Pluto II: The Plutening
Pluto II: iNTO dARKnESS

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:19 am UTC

Flumble wrote:Pluto II: iNTO dARKnESS

Look we've been over this a million times, there's no colon or number in the title. It's just Pluto Into Darkness. Or Pluto into Darkness if you're Wikipedia. Or PlUtO InTo DaRkNeSs here on xkcd.

And yes, "Pluto" is being used an imperative verb there, deal with it.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:23 am UTC

The original Pluto is in quite a darkness already.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:24 am UTC

Flumble wrote:Also, Randall as supreme leader wouldn't be much worse than our current government.

I have a feeling most of the defence budget would be diverted to build Velociraptor countermeasures.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:24 am UTC

As a conservation measure, let's dip into the pool of names that were once used for something that is now called something else, so the old name is once again available:

The Quarrymen
Masurium
Yugoslavia
Bruce Jenner
Brontosaurus
Leprosy
Armistice Day

Plutarch

Postby Plutarch » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:54 am UTC

If the IAU (International Astronomical Union) is actually an international body, there's no chance they'd name a planet 'Huge Soccer Ball.' They'd name it 'Huge Football.'

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:42 am UTC

Reecer6 wrote:Also apparently Randall's trying to make naming the Spice Girls a joke so he can ram it into the ground too.

I consider the missing funny of the Spice Girls strip to have been made up by its role in setting up for this one.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

akirjazi

Postby akirjazi » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:44 am UTC

So, when do we send the B Ark to prepare the planet for the rest of us?

Pi is exactly three

Postby Pi is exactly three » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:07 pm UTC

nowhereman wrote:

Yes, I know all about Waterworld, I actually sat through a screening. :shock:
My question was about why Kevin Costner's name is spelt with a K.
"We are the weirdos, Mister!"
--Fairuza Balk, The Craft

I have travelled from 1955 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:22 pm UTC

hee hee hee Randall wrote "wait" in the title to the comic.

Anyway, the one exoplanet whose name selection should be obvious will be the 1190-th to be discovered, and we'll call it "Zanclean Flood"
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

pinkphiloyd

Postby pinkphiloyd » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:26 pm UTC

Rupert.

karhell

Postby karhell » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:46 pm UTC

And you claim to be a former OTTer :P
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:01 pm UTC

$PlanetName

Kendy for the State

Postby Kendy for the State » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:04 pm UTC

Is there a reason Kepler 442b is on there twice, once as "Seas of toothpaste" and once as "Liz"?

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:52 pm UTC

#planet #home

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:00 pm UTC

Kendy for the State wrote:Is there a reason Kepler 442b is on there twice, once as "Seas of toothpaste" and once as "Liz"?

Liz's Seas of Toothpaste

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:31 pm UTC

The IAU says to be a planet, it has to orbit The Sun. So if KEPLER-452b was named Pluto, Pluto would still not be classified as a planet by them.
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

cphite

Postby cphite » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:33 pm UTC

nowhereman wrote:

It wasn't very good.

Horrible, silly, ridiculous movie; but almost worth watching for Dennis Hopper. Loved that guy.

All of the science reasons aside, the thing that annoyed me most about the plot was how close dry land turned out to be from where they already were. Even setting aside the question of "How did they forget where it was in the first place?", you'd think someone would have stumbled upon it by accident in the decades since that floating city was built. It wasn't small, and it had a pretty sizable hill in the middle, it should have been visible a long way off. Dennis Hopper and crew had a tanker full of oil (not sure how they were converting that to gas but whatever) and speedboats; a simple search pattern would have eliminated the need to even look for the stupid map. Just send groups out in widening patterns until someone sees it.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:58 pm UTC

cphite wrote:
nowhereman wrote:

It wasn't very good.

Horrible, silly, ridiculous movie; but almost worth watching for Dennis Hopper. Loved that guy.

All of the science reasons aside, the thing that annoyed me most about the plot was how close dry land turned out to be from where they already were. Even setting aside the question of "How did they forget where it was in the first place?", you'd think someone would have stumbled upon it by accident in the decades since that floating city was built. It wasn't small, and it had a pretty sizable hill in the middle, it should have been visible a long way off. Dennis Hopper and crew had a tanker full of oil (not sure how they were converting that to gas but whatever) and speedboats; a simple search pattern would have eliminated the need to even look for the stupid map. Just send groups out in widening patterns until someone sees it.

As with all movies, there sometimes is a false perception of time passed. It could have been several weeks in that hit air balloon. It would have been rough on the people, but they are used to confined living with very little resources, so not much worse than their usual lives, just up in the air.

NomDePlume

Postby NomDePlume » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:05 pm UTC

We could name it "Pluto 2 electric boogaloo"?

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:23 pm UTC

Just checking, but is the comic all jaggedy-ass for everyone else? Like, the lines lost *all* anti-aliasing. It makes it rather unpleasant to look at, actually.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:25 pm UTC

Xanthir wrote:Just checking, but is the comic all jaggedy-ass for everyone else? Like, the lines lost *all* anti-aliasing. It makes it rather unpleasant to look at, actually.

Yes, it's now like that for me too. It wasn't like it earlier though. Weird.

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:27 pm UTC

Yeah, but Costner's name is right now. ;-D
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:28 pm UTC

Xanthir wrote:Just checking, but is the comic all jaggedy ass-for everyone else? Like, the lines lost *all* anti-aliasing. It makes it rather unpleasant to look at, actually.
FTFY.
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”