1500: Upside-Down Map

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

joeldick

Re: 1500: Upside-Down Map

Postby joeldick » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:37 pm UTC

Why is the Siberian Ocean called the Indian Ocean?

And the Atlantic Ocean is nowhere near the Atlas Mountains.

Mokurai

Postby Mokurai » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:50 pm UTC

Why is the Siberian Ocean mislabeled the Indian Ocean? Also, why is the Pacific Ocean, west of West Asia and West Africa, and east of the east coasts of the Americas, labeled the Atlantic, and vice versa?

Also, how long is it going to take for all of the surface ice and snow in Siberia, Canada, and Alaska to melt, along with the permafrost, now that they are in the Tropics? As long as we are playing this game, can we arrange for this to lower the level of the ocean and keep from drowning out our coasts?

And lastly, we should note that in Antarctica, not shown on this map, rotation does not mix up North and South, but instead exchanges East and West Antarctica. We should be careful to do this while the Emperor penguins are in residence, during the Antarctic winter, so that they do not get lost half way around the continent. I leave the rest of the ecological disasters as an exercise for the interested reader. Or we could ask Randall to take it up in What If?

Western Rover

Postby Western Rover » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:54 pm UTC

Diddleydoo wrote:The fact that many actually refer to "Ireland" as "southern Ireland" is a constant point of annoyance to me and many others from the country.

I've actually never heard that term here in the U.S.; consequently I assumed that "southern Ireland" referred to Northern Ireland in the perspective of a flipped map. I would imagine that most Americans would make the same assumption, if that makes you feel better.

Diddleydoo wrote:On a side note meteorologists still refer to the entire island group as "the British isles" which gets me enraged no end. At least I am grateful that THIS phrase was not used.

What concise term would you prefer people to use when "Great Britain and Ireland" is too long for the context they want to use it in? (The contexts in which I use "British Isles" are more historical and genealogical than meteorological.)

tubegeek

Postby tubegeek » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:12 pm UTC

I never understood why they speak Portuguese in Japan before.

This strip was literally* an LOL for me.

* using the original definition of "literally," not the revised 2014 definition: "not literally."

In other news, those sexy Scandinavian women look really gorgeous with a tan.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:15 pm UTC

FTFY.
Jackpot777 wrote:This needs to be posted.

I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:17 pm UTC

speising wrote:i like this clear image helpful:

especially the hilarious difference between "British Islands" and "British Isles".

Wouldn't "British Islands" include, oh I don't know, the Falklands and Pitcairn, et. al.?

Andries

Postby Andries » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:32 pm UTC

You mean the Malvinas? They are now the subject of a dispute between, um, Chile and Ethiopia.

willpellmn

Postby willpellmn » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:58 pm UTC

"This upside-down map will change your perspective on the world!"

No, actually, it won't. I am disappointed that a person as smart as Randall pays attention to this sort of twaddle.

Reverend Loki

Postby Reverend Loki » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:06 pm UTC

It looks like Sarah Palin can see China from her house.

TomTAC

Postby TomTAC » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:17 pm UTC

Sinai is missing. (The tiny chunk shown as part of Egypt seems to only be the part west of the Suez Canal.)

Dang, I was going to say something about how useless the Suez Canal is going to be, but why bother if Sinai is missing.

The Panama Canal would still be of some use, but not at the rates they charge now. And does Ecuador's name mean anything anymore?
Last edited by TomTAC on Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:37 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

TomTAC

Postby TomTAC » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:25 pm UTC

There are two little islands, about a mile apart and straddling the International Date Line, almost exactly halfway between Russia and Alaska.

Four possibilities:

1) They moved with Alaska. 2) They moved with Siberia.

Or not so good:
3) They are STILL halfway between them, in the warm tropical Atlantic, but thousands of miles away from the nearest land and so the inhabitants are rather stuck for groceries this month. The two islands at least had their two ports facing each other over a seawater channel, but now the ports face away from each other on the deep side of each island.

Or terrible:
4) They stayed in place just turning around. So they are deep in the Arctic Ocean, waaaay away from everybody, and it is still winter but at least almost spring.

Grop

Postby Grop » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:25 pm UTC

Patteroast wrote:Title: "Due to their proximity across the channel, there's long been tension between North Korea and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Southern Ireland."

What nonsense, the Channel would be the sea between Portugal and Japan.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:27 pm UTC

tubegeek wrote:This strip was literally* an LOL for me.

* using the original definition of "literally," not the revised 2014 definition: "not literally."

Henry James, 1898 wrote:He literally bloomed so from this exploit that he could afford radiantly to assent.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

TomTAC

Postby TomTAC » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:28 pm UTC

I would ---- HATE ---- to be on Aruba right now ... Aruba has a lot of beaches on the SW side, so to keep the sharks away from the people, they established a "Shark Feed" on the NE side; that is, they dump garbage and chum and stuff there, and the sharks go there when they get hungry.

But ... now the beaches and the shark feed and the sharks are all on the NE side. Not good.

TomTAC

Postby TomTAC » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:31 pm UTC

Grop wrote:
Patteroast wrote:Title: "Due to their proximity across the channel, there's long been tension between North Korea and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Southern Ireland."

That probably IS a channel. But when Eurasia flipped, it left the UK off to the northwest, and the two Koreas are pointing to the north nearby. (Don't know which is North Korea and South Korea here.)

kch

Postby kch » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:47 pm UTC

When did Nova Scotia become an island? The last time I checked the rest of North America was still attached to us...

l_bratch

Postby l_bratch » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:51 pm UTC

rchard2scout wrote:The British Isles are the collection of islands consisting of Great Britain, Ireland, the Isle of Wight, the Isles of Scilly and Lundy, the Isle of Anglesey, the Hebrides, the Shetland Islands, the Orkney Islands, and the Islands of the Clyde.
And in certain contexts the Channel Islands.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:53 pm UTC

How exactly are mostly-uninhabited national park islands off the coast of California part of the British Islands?
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

l_bratch

Postby l_bratch » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:57 pm UTC

Ha! No, the Channel Islands!

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:04 pm UTC

TomTAC wrote:
Grop wrote:

That probably IS a channel. But when Eurasia flipped, it left the UK off to the northwest, and the two Koreas are pointing to the north nearby. (Don't know which is North Korea and South Korea here.)

Well, due to the fact that RM calls it "the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Southern Ireland", political names are not staying the same with regard to embedded directions. So if he is being consistent, then by "North Korea" he means the ROK, the non-Communist one which is at the end of its peninsula. However, the new "South Korea" (DPRK) would probably be of greater concern to the UK.

Note: one set of Channel islands is now between Scotland and South Korea, whereas the other set is probably off the SW coast of Quebec.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:07 pm UTC

I assumed that the tensions between the UK and "North" Korea in that world were meant to be analogous to the tensions between the UK and France (across the channel) in the real world, and not so much like the tensions between the UK and North Korea in the real world.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:09 pm UTC

Mokurai wrote:Also, how long is it going to take for all of the surface ice and snow in Siberia, Canada, and Alaska to melt, along with the permafrost, now that they are in the Tropics? As long as we are playing this game, can we arrange for this to lower the level of the ocean and keep from drowning out our coasts?

Nope, you get the deeper oceans before the new icecaps. The end state might be shallower oceans and more icecap, but the residents of Miami are gonna have a tough time in-between.

And lastly, we should note that in Antarctica, not shown on this map, rotation does not mix up North and South, but instead exchanges East and West Antarctica.

Nope, as mentioned above by cntrational, swapping north (the edge) and south (a single point) in Antarctica gives you a perfectly circular continent with a ragged-edged sea in the middle. Fortunately still all ice-covered, so you're really only losing part of the northern icecap, so the seas won't be quite as deep as...

I leave the rest of the ecological disasters as an exercise for the interested reader. Or we could ask Randall to take it up in What If?

Too late. Though for a slightly different case.
Last edited by Mikeski on Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:11 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:I assumed that the tensions between the UK and "North" Korea in that world were meant to be analogous to the tensions between the UK and France (across the channel) in the real world, and not so much like the tensions between the UK and North Korea in the real world.

Wait, what? Has there been any tension between the UK and France in the past, oh say, 200 years?

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:18 pm UTC

Mikeski wrote:
And lastly, we should note that in Antarctica, not shown on this map, rotation does not mix up North and South, but instead exchanges East and West Antarctica.

Nope, as mentioned above by cntrational, swapping north (the edge) and south (a single point) in Antarctica gives you a perfectly circular continent with a ragged-edged sea in the middle. Fortunately still all ice-covered, so you're really only losing part of the northern icecap, so the seas won't be quite as deep as...

But this map was not produced by vertical flips, it was produced by half-turn rotation. Rotate Antarctica halfway around and you still end up with the same shape in the same place, but the part that had been south of New Zealand is now south of Madagascar instead, and so on.

Unless you consider the fact that underneath all that ice, the "continent" of Antarctica is actually an archipelago of a whole bunch of different islands. If you rotated all of them independently and then recovered them in ice, it looks like the resultant shape would not be terribly different from the Antarctica that we know already.

mathmannix wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:I assumed that the tensions between the UK and "North" Korea in that world were meant to be analogous to the tensions between the UK and France (across the channel) in the real world, and not so much like the tensions between the UK and North Korea in the real world.

Wait, what? Has there been any tension between the UK and France in the past, oh say, 200 years?

My understanding, perceiving it all from the far side of another continent mind you, is that there is a kind of half-joking lingering cultural tension between the British and French, the same way there is between say the Scots and the English, or the Scots and the Irish, or the Scots and the Welsh (or the Scots and the Scots — damn Scots! Ye ruined Scotland!).

svenman

Postby svenman » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:28 pm UTC

willpellmn wrote:"This upside-down map will change your perspective on the world!"

No, actually, it won't. I am disappointed that a person as smart as Randall pays attention to this sort of twaddle.

I believe the entire comic was intended as a satirical take of sorts on "this kind of twaddle".
Apart from Forum Games, mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams thanks all of us who helped. Her life is much better now.

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:30 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
mathmannix wrote:

My understanding, perceiving it all from the far side of another continent mind you, is that there is a kind of half-joking lingering cultural tension between the British and French, the same way there is between say the Scots and the English, or the Scots and the Irish, or the Scots and the Welsh (or the Scots and the Scots — damn Scots! Ye ruined Scotland!).

Round here, the main tension is between Southern and Northern England...

Antior

Postby Antior » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:48 pm UTC

A goon made an improved version that accounts for the effects of projections.

A Buttery Pastry wrote:Image
Link to larger image

Every continent and (major) island has been rotated 180 degrees around a point halfway down its north-south length/halfway in along its east-west width. Islands have been left untouched as much as possible otherwise, though moved in cases where they overlap with a continent. In those cases, I've moved them solely on an east-west axis, with their final location coming down to aesthetics. This largely affected the islands of south east Asia, as well as Japan.

Bounty

Postby Bounty » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:50 pm UTC

At least now we know how Starburst are so juicy. They come from an alternate reality where Scotch Korean are much more common.

CelticNot

Postby CelticNot » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:19 pm UTC

Closer to home, I have to wonder - would Virginia and West Virginia just swap names, or would West Virginia become East Virginia?

(Note that I'm not American so I don't know if there's some historical reason for the names.)
This sig for rent. Rates negotiable.

HES

Postby HES » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:21 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:My understanding, perceiving it all from the far side of another continent mind you, is that there is a kind of half-joking lingering cultural tension between the British and French, the same way there is between say the Scots and the English, or the Scots and the Irish, or the Scots and the Welsh (or the Scots and the Scots — damn Scots! Ye ruined Scotland!).

No no, the tension is between the English and the Scots, the English and the Welsh, the English and the Irish, and the English and the English. The others are united, of course, in hatred for the English.
He/Him/His Image

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:49 pm UTC

ClockworkSky wrote:Closer to home, I have to wonder - would Virginia and West Virginia just swap names, or would West Virginia become East Virginia?

(Note that I'm not American so I don't know if there's some historical reason for the names.)

There used to be just one Virginia. Then the westerly portion of it broke off. The remainder kept the name Virginia, and the new state adopted the name West Virginia. So there would probably be a Virginia and an East Virginia in this topsy-turvey world. Much like Ireland and Southern Ireland.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:51 pm UTC

Diddleydoo wrote:"United Kingdom of Great Britain and Southern Ireland"?

Normally it's either United Kingdom OR Great Britain but the real reason why I'm posting is that "Southern Ireland" is actually "Republic of Ireland" or "Ireland".

In fact the constitution of the country names "Ireland" as it's official name. The connotation "southern Ireland" makes it sound subservient to Britain which, due to the real and long-lasting tensions between the countries and the eventual liberation of the country nearly 100 years ago, is not a good thing.

The correct term is "Great Britain and Ireland". Great Britain includes England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

On a side note meteorologists still refer to the entire island group as "the British isles" which gets me enraged no end. At least I am grateful that THIS phrase was not used.

And all this on the day after Patrick's day..... :cry:

The full name of the UK is "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland". Turn the map upside-down, and Northern Ireland becomes Southern Ireland. What's the problem?
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

scharb

Postby scharb » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:53 pm UTC

"This upside-down map will change your perspective of the world!"
And it's all just molten metals across the whole surface, with near-vacuum atmosphere at the very inner center.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:00 pm UTC

Regarding the full name of the UK, I sometimes like to jokingly refer to it as the United Kingdom of England and Whatever Else it Has this Century, since the "United Kingdom of…" part has stayed constant for centuries while the rest has shifted around considerably.

HES

Postby HES » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:53 pm UTC

"Whatever's left of the British Empire"
He/Him/His Image

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:17 pm UTC

HES wrote:"Whatever's left of the British Empire"

Does that include the Commonwealth or not?

Cousj001

Postby Cousj001 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:34 pm UTC

The long name of the UK is just the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Island. HM The Queens full title is however By the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith. 'Her other Realms and Territories" refer to the rest of the British Commonwealth. Commwealth realms are held in personal union with the Queen, she has her own titles for each of them, i.e. in New Zealand she it styled Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, Queen of New Zealand and Her Other Realms and Territories, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith.

I hope this clears up the matter slightly.
Magic is real, unless declared integer.

Hiferator

Postby Hiferator » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:40 pm UTC

Grop wrote:

Not if bodies of water retain their position (approximately), like the labels of Atlantic and Pacific Ocean suggest.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:13 pm UTC

HES wrote:"Whatever's left of the British Empire"

So, like, Ireland. And maybe Iceland.

And Norway and all those are right of the British Empire.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:23 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
ClockworkSky wrote:Closer to home, I have to wonder - would Virginia and West Virginia just swap names, or would West Virginia become East Virginia?

There used to be just one Virginia. Then the westerly portion of it broke off. The remainder kept the name Virginia, and the new state adopted the name West Virginia. So there would probably be a Virginia and an East Virginia in this topsy-turvey world. Much like Ireland and Southern Ireland.

Or it may get some other name entirely. We're not very good at naming things.

Saint Paul, the capitol of Minnesota.

South St Paul, MN. Actually south of St Paul.

West St Paul, MN. Also south of St Paul. (Though west of South St Paul.)

If you go west out of West St Paul, you'll cross Mendota Heights, and Lilydale, and the Mississippi River, and then wind up in... St Paul.

(And North St Paul does not actually border St Paul, though it is entirely north of it.)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”