1469: "UV"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

azule
Saved

1469: "UV"

Postby azule » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:03 am UTC

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Eternal Density

Re: 1469: "UV"

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:11 am UTC

I've got one of those. It's pretty cool. My white sunscreen bottle is purple! And a black beanbag full of white styrofoam beads looks... really weird.

I guess their intelligence evaporated along with their morality, given that they've forgotten that you need to buy insurance *before* your house is destroyed :P
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:34 am UTC

I have one as well, but it's primarily for hunting scorpions. Makes it really easy since they fluoresce rather brightly.

Eternal Density wrote:I guess their intelligence evaporated along with their morality, given that they've forgotten that you need to buy insurance *before* your house is destroyed :P

I can understand this mistake if they're in the US, though. That's how health insurance works here now.

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:39 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I guess their intelligence evaporated along with their morality, given that they've forgotten that you need to buy insurance *before* your house is destroyed :P

Ohh. I was going to post about this one weird new change to cuegan's personalities but your explanation makes more sense.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:04 am UTC

slinches wrote:I have one as well, but it's primarily for hunting scorpions. Makes it really easy since they fluoresce rather brightly.

I can understand this mistake if they're in the US, though. That's how health insurance works here now.
Ah, the US. 'tis a silly place.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:19 am UTC

I thought most residues only glowed after you sprayed them with some additional substance? That's what they do with blood stains, isn't it?

slinches wrote:I have one as well, but it's primarily for hunting scorpions. Makes it really easy since they fluoresce rather brightly.
Now I'm wondering what you do with them after you find them.

Sir Lunch-a-lot

Postby Sir Lunch-a-lot » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:25 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:

Ah, the US. 'tis a silly place.

It's only a model.

RAGBRAIvet

Postby RAGBRAIvet » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:34 am UTC

Why does this remind me of Sir Pterry Pratchett's "Discworld" when the owner of the 'Broken Drum' was introduced to the concept of "inn-sewer-ants" by Twoflower?

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:07 am UTC

slinches wrote:I can understand this mistake if they're in the US, though. That's how health insurance works here now.
I thought pre existing conditions were rarely covered. Maybe that's serious illnesses like cancer.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:55 am UTC

azule wrote:
slinches wrote:I can understand this mistake if they're in the US, though. That's how health insurance works here now.
I thought pre existing conditions were rarely covered. Maybe that's serious illnesses like cancer.

It's a new feature with O'care. Insurance companies can't refuse to cover you for preexisting conditions.

Yes, we some of us know that's not how "insurance" works. That just might be what Randall's taking a dig at, here.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:03 am UTC

It's the simplest way to force the system toward a single-payer-like model without actually obliterating the health insurance industry overnight, which would be bad simply because they have lobbies and could make it bad. I don't think that's where the comic is going, though. I think it's just a jab at the common refrain about "burning it down for the insurance" combined with, you know, the likelihood "it" isn't insured in the first place in most of those cases. Kinda fell flat for me.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:09 am UTC

Good luck getting insurance money when the insurance inspector notices the burn patterns caused by setting your own house on fire.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

keithl

Postby keithl » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:23 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:Good luck getting insurance money when the insurance inspector notices the burn patterns caused by setting your own house on fire.
Then you burn the insurance inspector. Then the insurance company. Then the insurance money (filthy germy stuff). Then each other. The problem is that the matches and the gasoline can are also germy. Ew.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:40 am UTC

Better to de-orbit the earth and crash it into the sun.

Even better: germs are made of matter. We should change the laws of physics so no matter can exist. It's the only way to be sure.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

yxos

Can this be accidental...?

Postby yxos » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:53 am UTC

... look at today's(!!) calendar-entry of German cartoonist Martin Perscheid:

(you might need to add the triple "w" before the link to access the image)

linkab.de/fire

[Translation: »Ok, now let's fix a contract for a fire insurance - then we're rich!«]

StClair

Postby StClair » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:54 am UTC

This is basically the first step in discovering that human bodies (and everything they produce) are filthy.
And the Earth? Basically made of covered in dirt and bacteria.
Cleanliness is an illusion. Or a delusion. Possibly both.

Clix

Postby Clix » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:06 am UTC

StClair wrote:This is basically the first step in discovering that human bodies (and everything they produce) are filthy.
And the Earth? Basically made of covered in dirt and bacteria.
Cleanliness is an illusion. Or a delusion. Possibly both.

if cleanliness is an illusion (or a delusion)
And cleanliness is next to godliness
Therefore .....

Quick! Where's the nearest God is Real/Not Real thread?????
People need panic...panic in regular draghts. I read about the governments of the world, and I panic daily. It's a heart pumping workout that keeps my cheeks rosy and my vision crystal clear.
Thorax:Pigborn (Brooke McEldowney)

Dr What

Postby Dr What » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:41 am UTC

I just image googled "uv flashlight toilet". Didn't find anything like "the guy's chest after the alien burst out". Just something like this:
Spoiler:

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:03 am UTC

It wouldn't work anyway. The insurance company would have a "like-for-like" policy and would supply you with second-hand bathroom fittings. You'd end up back where you started but with somebody else's dirt and germs. Eugh.

Also: if you look carefully, he's using their home WiFi: he's going to lose connectivity when the modem melts.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

speising

Postby speising » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:22 am UTC

good thing they didn't point the UV light at their phones.

amorya

Postby amorya » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:11 pm UTC

Given that we already had an Alien reference, I was expecting the alt text to be "It's the only way to be sure!".

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:52 pm UTC

speising wrote:good thing they didn't point the UV light at their phones.

And wait until they shine the UV light at their UV lights!1

1Insert "Don't cross the beams!" reference here

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:55 pm UTC

Isn't this just a stab at those police shows?

jigawatt

Postby jigawatt » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:23 pm UTC

Something like this happens with COBRA (the insurance, not the snake) in the US. When I left my job, I talked with a COBRA rep about it. The insurance premium didn't make sense for us unless I or my wife had a big unexpected medical expense. But here's the kicker - I could sign up for the insurance AFTER the incident and it would still be covered. There was a 60 day or so period where you could decide if you wanted COBRA, and if something happened in those 60 days you could sign up and be covered retroactively.

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:35 pm UTC

jigawatt wrote:Something like this happens with COBRA
This, I command!
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

Coyoty

Postby Coyoty » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:43 pm UTC

I thought COBRA was an evil organization devoted to taking advantage of American G.I.s... Oh. Never mind.

Is it possible their toilet was just full of scorpions?

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:06 pm UTC

Coyoty wrote:Is it possible their toilet was just full of scorpions?

There's a horse in ... sorry, knee-jerk response.

Bounty

Postby Bounty » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:18 pm UTC

Coyoty wrote:I thought COBRA was an evil organization devoted to taking advantage of American G.I.s... Oh. Never mind.

This is why of all the attempts to repackage our childhood shows, I like G.I.Joe Renegades the best. COBRA is a big box store with Lobbyists who controls the media, in addition to making super-weapons and indiscriminately killing people, and the Joe's are seen as Crazy right wing nutters on a terrorist rampage.

senor_cardgage

Postby senor_cardgage » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:45 pm UTC

No complaints yet about the wrapping of the alt text in a spoiler tag? Or not adding OP's own comments to the thread.

People must still be recovering from New Year celebrations.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:39 pm UTC

senor_cardgage wrote:No complaints yet about the wrapping of the alt text in a spoiler tag? Or not adding OP's own comments to the thread.

People must still be recovering from New Year celebrations.

I, err... quite like azule's innovation (or whoever started it). It conveys something of the anticipation and suspense of the title text. I gather some people's browsers can't cope with it. But those people are missing out on so much in these forums already...

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:24 pm UTC

Mikeski wrote:
azule wrote:

It's a new feature with O'care. Insurance companies can't refuse to cover you for preexisting conditions.

Yes, we some of us know that's not how "insurance" works. That just might be what Randall's taking a dig at, here.

You, like a lot of people, are confusing "insurance" with "health care." You're correct that the strict definition of "insurance" is a calculated bet against actuarial tables. However, health care and medical care and post-incident medical care are not separable. For that matter, there was a time when the health insurance companies insured your children from birth, thus allowing them NOT to cover prenatal conditions.
The last thing I'll mention before the inevitable godwinning of this branch topic is that providing health care as well as insurance to all is almost invariably a net economic win.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:35 pm UTC

Yeah, it's "health care coverage reform" as opposed to "health insurance reform." We just have an existing insurance industry to work around.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:01 pm UTC

Coyoty wrote:I thought COBRA was an evil organization devoted to taking advantage of American G.I.s... Oh. Never mind.
I always loved finding out they were
Spoiler:
actual cobras! well, at least the one guy

Warning: slightly off topic, but not spoilered due to content.
orthogon wrote:
senor_cardgage wrote:No complaints yet about the wrapping of the alt text in a spoiler tag? Or not adding OP's own comments to the thread.

I, err... quite like azule's innovation (or whoever started it). It conveys something of the anticipation and suspense of the title text. I gather some people's browsers can't cope with it. But those people are missing out on so much in these forums already...
Thanks! I'm not sure I literally started it, but I've been the most diligent promoting it.

I put the link to mobile in the alt text. I use mobile most of the time now, even posted a comic using mobile, and it causes me no problem on this old browser (that doesn't render or function perfectly). If there is a specific grievance, senor_cardgage, let me know. What I know is that if you don't have JavaScript nothing is hidden. Otherwise, spoiler tags are part of the experience of being on this fora, so I'm not sure the issue.

I was going to spURLerize the alt text but I thought that'd be cruel and without benefit.

I didn't add a comment in OP because of the prior complaint of confusion it had with the alt text. I agree with that confusion, with or without a spoiler present. Don't worry, I always comment subsequently. I'm not posting just for the ONG (not that there's anything wrong with that, OTTers).

The Moomin

Postby The Moomin » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:17 am UTC

azule wrote:I'm not posting just for the ONG

If you were, would that be ONGing? where the trees go ping and the teapots jibberjabberjoo
I possibly don't pay enough attention to what's going on.
I help make architect's dreams flesh.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:45 am UTC

It would. But I don't know what the rest of that is. Carol or Suess?

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:30 am UTC

azule wrote:It would. But I don't know what the rest of that is. Carol or Suess?

I'd have guessed Milligan or Lear.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:09 am UTC

Could it be because you're British? I'd never heard of this poem or author.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:33 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:I thought most residues only glowed after you sprayed them with some additional substance? That's what they do with blood stains, isn't it?
Come on, no one else is questioning this?

Upon a moment of further consultation, it would seem the spray stuff is luminol.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminol#Us ... estigators

It would seem like a waste to burn a house down after spraying everything with luminol.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:09 am UTC

Luminol looks neat, but from the description it sounds like it creates its own light through a chemical reaction rather than by UV fluorescence.

And apparently urine is naturally fluorescent. It seems they're even studying whether they can diagnose cancer based on the color: Fluorescence characteristics of human urine from normal individuals and ovarian cancer patients

And in response to your question about what I do with scorpions I find, I kill them. Although, I wouldn't hunt them at all if they would stay out of my house and weren't the most venomous species in North America.

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:53 pm UTC

slinches wrote:And in response to your question about what I do with scorpions I find, I kill them. Although, I wouldn't hunt them at all if they would stay out of my house and weren't the most venomous species in North America.

I thought that was a dumb question too (I live in AZ). My UV LED flashlight makes those bark scorpions light up from across a room. Only I don't "kill" them, I use a 12-inch forceps to pick them up and remove them to the outside, where I toss them over the edge of my deck. I learned early on that stomping on them leaves a gooey mess on the floor. And they do manage to get inside, even with good weather stripping around the doors. During the summer months, I make a point of "sweeping" the house with UV before I come to bed. Lived in the desert for close to 15 years and have so far avoided any stings. Know several people who have been stung ... nasty experience. Won't kill a healthy adult, but burns like hell for days.

Another cool thing I discovered accidentally: The UV light makes my glow-in-the-dark Moon globe light up something fierce.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”