1417: "Seven"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Pfhorrest

1417: "Seven"

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:15 am UTC

Alt: The days of the week are Monday, Arctic, Wellsley, Green, Electra, Synergize, and the Seventh Seal.

As Leela once said: "Seven is darker." Or basically every other line of every classic Bungie game ever.

Interestingly, I share Bungie's obsession with sevens, partly because of their fandom *cough*lookatmyusername*cough* but also for my own personal reasons (I turned 25 on 7/25/07, where 2+5=7; there are seven letters in my first name; I realized both of those things on my seventh birthday; the list goes on), and now coincidentally my first new comic thread happens to be for the comic titled "Seven"… which I should point out is comic # 1417.

Oh and just to comment actually on-topic: the sets being conflated in the comic are the Dwarfs from Snow White (duh), the Linnaean taxonomic ranks, the continents (as traditionally numbered in the US), ETA the deadly sins, the layers of dip, the layers of the OSI model, and the wonders of the ancient world.

ETA: As for the title text sets: days of the week (duh), climate zones, sister colleges (I admit I had to look that one up), Newtonian colors, the Pleiades (had to look this one up too, ashamed as I love both astronomy and mythology and was expecting this to be a Marvel Comics thing), habits of highly effective people (suspected this but had to look it up to be sure), and the seals of the apocalypse (duh).
Last edited by Pfhorrest on Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:23 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Envelope Generator

Re: 1417: "Seven"

Postby Envelope Generator » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:27 am UTC

Guacamole is one of the seven ________?
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:31 am UTC

Envelope Generator wrote:Guacamole is one of the seven ________?

Ah dang, I didn't edit fast enough. There's a well-known seven-layer dip, which has guacamole as one of the layers, along with refried beans, sour cream, salsa, cheese, ground beef, and jalapeños. Wikipedia says black olives are a solid layer, but seriously who the fuck puts olives in dip…
Last edited by Pfhorrest on Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:39 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:34 am UTC

I think the olives tend to be on dip (as in, a layer sprinkled on top) rather than in dip. But I'm sure it varies.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:36 am UTC

Ohhh, I've never heard of that before. From pics it looks more like a salad or casserole than something it'd occur to me to dip things in.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:15 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote: the layers of dip,

I read that in OTTish at first and was rather puzzled :P

There's also the seven deadly sins.

Funny that sloths are neither lively nor deadly!
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

ruurdjan

Postby ruurdjan » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:16 am UTC

You forgot 'sloth', one of the seven sins. Was that just lazyness? :twisted:

<Edit> Nidja'd

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:22 am UTC

Ah dangit, I got so caught up in qualifying the continents claim that I somehow skipped right over sloth. I'll fix it...

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:33 am UTC

I used to have this with fives. But I'm completely cured now.

The five boroughs: Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, Minuet of Forest
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

simcop2387

Postby simcop2387 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:54 am UTC

Arctic isn't a continent. I think it's the seven seas. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Seas

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:02 am UTC

I wasn't saying Arctic was a continent, but a climate zone. I can't seem to find a definitive set of "seven seas", rather than just poetic expression for "all the world's oceans". Then again, now that I try to look them up I can't find a definitive set of seven climate zones either, and the closest thing I can find doesn't have "arctic" but rather "tundra" (alongside taiga, temperate forest, tropical rainforest, temperate grassland, savannah, and desert). I'm not sure anymore.

Witewolf_Legacy

Postby Witewolf_Legacy » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:06 am UTC

At least the way we learned the continents (NZ) was: North America, South America, Europe, Africa, Asia, Oceania/Australasia, Antarctica :D

time burglar

Postby time burglar » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:20 am UTC

This is pleasing to me. I'm reminded of a similar gag from one of the great British comedy shows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnWd0iv8Dq4 ("League of Gentlemen -Henry & Ally at the Video Store")

rpgamer

Postby rpgamer » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:24 am UTC

I contest the inclusion of Phylum in a set of seven.

Everyone always forgets the Domain.
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:51 am UTC

Domain was a late addition to the original set of seven, and there are now many more taxonomic ranks besides those eight (and doubts about the usefulness of fixed "rank" in the first place). But the original seven are of historical significance still.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:12 am UTC

I love this one. I was chuckling at it before I read the caption and/or worked out what it was about (I'm not sure now which happened first). Just the idea of one of the dwarves being called "Guacamole" is hilarious. In fact I profoundly hope that there is a Guacamole in the Mexican version of the tale.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Bisqwit

Postby Bisqwit » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:23 am UTC

Ah, Data Link. My favourite of the seven dwarves.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:31 am UTC

I didn't get all the references, I have to admit. Over here we have 5 continents, not 7 (though personally I disagree with both of those statements). So my first thought was 'moons of Jupiter' but of course there are many more than 7, so then I was trying to figure out whether the continent or the moon was meant, and who they fit in a list of 7. And I've never heard of 7 layers of dip. Is that an American thing?

The alt text was even harder. So well done, Randall.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

mikhail

Postby mikhail » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:40 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:... Oh and just to comment actually on-topic: the sets being conflated in the comic are the Dwarfs from Snow White (duh), the Linnaean taxonomic ranks, the continents (as traditionally numbered in the US), ETA the deadly sins, the layers of dip, the layers of the OSI model, and the wonders of the ancient world ...

Ah yes, the seven wonders: The Colossus of Rhodes, A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, The Good The Bad and The Ugly, Once Upon a Time in the West, Duck You Sucker!, and Once Upon a Time in America.

cct

Postby cct » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:47 pm UTC

I thought the reference was to the "Seven Moles of Oaxaca" and that using guacamole was just an error.

cct

Postby cct » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:49 pm UTC

As an answer for the original question, there is something particularly pleasing about the Colossus of Rhodes being one of the seven dwarfs.

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:50 pm UTC

I got here as fast as I could. So: what's going on here?

Showsni

Postby Showsni » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:07 pm UTC

I have a similar problem;

January, Amethyst, Gemini, the Erymanthian Boar, Philip, Strong Breeze, Horse, House of Reincarnation, Ladies Dancing, Hephaestus, Joseph and Venezuela.

Klear

Postby Klear » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:10 pm UTC

This never happened to me, but I have some paired memories that I often have trouble remembering both at once, for example, two of Czech best composers are Bedřich Smetana and Antonín Dvořák. Very often (luckily not now) when I think of one of them, I'm incapable of remembering the name of the other.

I have a couple ore pairs like this, though it so happens I can't think of any right now.

CharlieBing

Postby CharlieBing » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:12 pm UTC

This was tough! Wellsley completely flummoxed me, and then I realized that google wanted me to look for Wellesley, and it was plain sailing after that. Of course, that involved a trip to Wikipedia, and their entry on "Seven" is a great read. It includes a list of seven things from Classical antiquity, including the Seven Seas, the Seven hills of Rome, the Seven Liberal Arts and the Seven Sages of the Bamboo Grove in China (!)

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:15 pm UTC

ruurdjan wrote:You forgot 'sloth', one of the seven sins. Was that just lazyness? :twisted:

<Edit> Nidja'd

Sure you don't mean one of the se7en sins?

Other categories to cover:

-- The highly debatable seven ways to get on base
-- The Famous Dance
-- A rugby team
-- A certain class of artists
-- and, maybe, the fact that the top possible bid in bridge is Seven (suit or NT)
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

operagost

Postby operagost » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:24 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:I didn't get all the references, I have to admit. Over here we have 5 continents, not 7 (though personally I disagree with both of those statements).

I definitely disagree with the European convention of considering the Americas one continent. There is a plate separation at the Isthmus of Panama, and evidence suggests this area was underwater in the past. We've also basically split them with the canal.

It also would be nice to discard the notion of single American continent because I'm sick of European trolls calling me a "USian". Apparently, hordes of Spanish and Portuguese-speaking peoples of other nations like to call themselves "Americans" in English, for some curious reason.

Introbulus

Postby Introbulus » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:34 pm UTC

I'm more of a fours guy myself. Like the four ninja turtles, Leonardo, Magenta, Princess Peach, and Death.
If you can read this, you are wasting your time.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:42 pm UTC

Klear wrote:This never happened to me, but I have some paired memories that I often have trouble remembering both at once, for example, two of Czech best composers are Bedřich Smetana and Antonín Dvořák. Very often (luckily not now) when I think of one of them, I'm incapable of remembering the name of the other.

I heard the Stuttgart Radio Symphony Orchestra under Sir Roger Norrington perform Dvořák's New World Symphony at this BBC Proms concert on Wednesday. Amazing how classically American it sounded for a composer from Bohemia: either he'd absorbed the aesthetic rapidly, or, more likely, he actually created the sound that we now associate with the open plains and cowboys.

It always annoyed me that there were seven days in the week. If they had to choose a prime number, they could at least have chosen an even prime, like 8.

Pseudo-edit: my use of the word "American" should in no way imply that I am taking sides in operagosts's impending flame war.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

HES

Postby HES » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:48 pm UTC

operagost wrote:I definitely disagree with the European convention of considering the Americas one continent.

Must be a continental Europe thing, there are definitely seven as far as the UK is concerned.
He/Him/His Image

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:19 pm UTC

operagost wrote:the European convention of considering the Americas one continent.

There's a convention for this? Specifically a European one?
Wikipedia dares to contest that claim even without sources. (OTOH, the legend lists Oceania as "Australia")

operagost wrote:I'm sick of European trolls calling me a "USian"

Heh, "VS'er" does have a ring to it. Thanks for the idea. :P
I'm sick of people calling the US "America".

Klear

Postby Klear » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:35 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:I heard the Stuttgart Radio Symphony Orchestra under Sir Roger Norrington perform Dvořák's New World Symphony at this BBC Proms concert on Wednesday. Amazing how classically American it sounded for a composer from Bohemia: either he'd absorbed the aesthetic rapidly, or, more likely, he actually created the sound that we now associate with the open plains and cowboys.

It always annoyed me that there were seven days in the week. If they had to choose a prime number, they could at least have chosen an even prime, like 8.

The New World Symphony has been my all time favourite symphony since I was a kid. I never really associated it with America, despite the name. If I had to guess, I'd say he created the association, but since I don't have it myself, it's hard to judge.

And as far as number of days in a week go, I prefer 8.

Edit: Also, at least in Czech Republic, we consider South and North Americas separate continents. Never heard of anybody considering them joined. I have some discussion about not considering Europe and Asia separate, but that's it.

hetas

Postby hetas » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:49 pm UTC

HES wrote:
operagost wrote:I definitely disagree with the European convention of considering the Americas one continent.

Must be a continental Europe thing, there are definitely seven as far as the UK is concerned.

Same in Finland and I assume in other nordic countries. http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maanosa

The English wikipedia page on continent lists the usage of different ways of distinguishing a continent. Never take granted anything you were taught in school.

HES

Postby HES » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:04 pm UTC

hetas wrote:Never take granted anything you were taught in school.

The later years of school basically consisted of "everything you were taught before is wrong".
He/Him/His Image

LockeZ

Postby LockeZ » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:19 pm UTC

HES wrote:
hetas wrote:Never take granted anything you were taught in school.

The later years of school basically consisted of "everything you were taught before is wrong".

In fourth grade we were taught the list of specific modern list seven seas that Wikipedia has an objectionable "weasel words" flag on. If I still had my textbook I could add a citation to that motherfucker. Of course, we also learned that the sun was the biggest star in the universe.

operagost wrote:I'm sick of people calling the US "America".

Too bad, it's our country, we get to call it whatever we want!

In unrelated news, I like it when these lists actually correlate. Like, I wonder if each dwarf has a favorite layer of dip. In my head canon each of the Apostles of Christ has a different zodiological sign.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:23 pm UTC

operagost wrote:It also would be nice to discard the notion of single American continent because I'm sick of European trolls calling me a "USian". Apparently, hordes of Spanish and Portuguese-speaking peoples of other nations like to call themselves "Americans" in English, for some curious reason.

Besides, everyone knows that Mexico and Canada and Belize and Costa Rica and El Salvador and Guatemala and Honduras and Nicaragua and Cuba and assorted Caribbean Islands are all just parts of the US anyway, so there's no need to distinguish a resident of North America from a resident of the US...

jpvlsmv

Postby jpvlsmv » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:34 pm UTC

Envelope Generator wrote:Guacamole is one of the seven ________?

Less-Interesting things to describe a Mole of.

(Others include Mole sauce and melanocytic skin lesions)

--Joe

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:54 pm UTC

LockeZ wrote:In unrelated news, I like it when these lists actually correlate. Like, I wonder if each dwarf has a favorite layer of dip. In my head canon each of the Apostles of Christ has a different zodiological sign.

In my headcanon this is what category theory is about. Also every apostle has a function key!

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:21 pm UTC

You left out the most culturally significant Set of Seven in history! One of those dwarves should be named "Mrs Howell".

Then there's the Seven Things Not Beginning With K That The Letter K Is An Abbreviation For:

• black
  • strikeout
  • potassium
  • absolute temperature
  • one thousand
  • one thousand twenty-four
  • federal reserve bank of Dallas

(A real set that some of us should recognize: Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian and Locrian.)

squareroot

Postby squareroot » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:29 pm UTC

Wait wait wait -- I thought Data Link was Hylian, not a Dwarf?
<signature content="" style="tag:html;" overused meta />
Good fucking job Will Yu, you found me - __ -

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”