1416: "Pixels"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

NoMouse

Re: 1416: "Pixels"

Postby NoMouse » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:23 am UTC

It's working again! It works in FF, IE and Chrome for me. The performance in IE and Chrome is much better than in FF.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:34 am UTC

alvinhochun wrote:After a few scrolls, the Chrome tab is using 900MB of RAM.

Nice memory killer.

EDIT: Oh and also a reminder, you need to disable HTTPS Everywhere for any interactive xkcd comics to work.

Uh, no you don't, at least not on Win7 , Chrome 36.0.1985.125 it zooms just fine.

Latest zoomfind (and over 1.2Gig memory): evolution, BHG asking about a fire hydrant, some cabalistic command like "du -hs video /A lot" . Can someone translate?

Oh, and chess boards inside the message, leading to strange stuff aaaaand Cueball& Megan contemplating the stars!

I'm going to start a rumor that if you zoom long enough in the right location, you get a secret code good for one free copy (printed paper style) of the What-If book. :mrgreen:
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:05 pm UTC

Interesting, I got to the superstring and the tab in Chrome crashed because of consuming too much memory. I guess 32-bit browsers can't get beyond Planck lengths.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:19 pm UTC

In b 4 anyone else:

Are you a turtle?

Duban

Postby Duban » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:23 pm UTC

Nice memory killer.

EDIT: Oh and also a reminder, you need to disable HTTPS Everywhere for any interactive xkcd comics to work.

I know, right? By the time I was done it was using more memory than Planetside 2.

It is not the gods I fear. No, It is those who claim to speak for them that concern me.

hoogabooga

Postby hoogabooga » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:36 pm UTC

Great comic. Great time waster. Great memory-hog.
Congrats Randall! I'm excited about your book launch too!

SciFi

Postby SciFi » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:42 pm UTC

Works fine in Palemoon (Firefox x64) 24.7.1. Just give it a moment to resolve the image each time you go deeper.

I was going to say wrong kind of turtle, but after zooming in, fair game to you. As someone to have referenced it in their work, I wonder if Terry Prattchet will be amused by it, next time he's himself.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:47 pm UTC

Andromeda321 wrote:Further, most of the panels repeat, but I saw one joke that repeated- the boy and girl wondering to each other "let's be honest- can we really tell if anyone lives in Stockholm?" I'm sure the Swedish will be happy. :lol: (For the record, pretty sure some people live there as I went there last spring, and it seemed like a nice enough place.)

This reminds me of whoever has that avatar with "France: fact or fiction?". I always thought it was questioning the very existence of that great nation, but then I found out that the formula "X: fact or fiction?" is typically followed by a list of propositions about X, of which some or fewer are true. I preferred my original interpretation.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

hicksbw

Postby hicksbw » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:52 pm UTC

I have a thinkpad. I have a trackpoint. There is no scroll. The scroll is not.

xyzzy! Nothing happens.

/.Insert insensitive clod remark here./

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:54 pm UTC

Duban wrote:

Nice memory killer.

I know, right? By the time I was done it was using more memory than Planetside 2.

IE11 seems to be much more memory efficient. It only consumed about 200 MB RAM even after I watched almost all images in there.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:00 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:In b 4 anyone else:

Are you a turtle?

Ouch -- someone else in the "old fart" category :P . I ain't betting my bippy on that!
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:01 pm UTC

hicksbw wrote:I have a thinkpad. I have a trackpoint. There is no scroll. The scroll is not.

xyzzy! Nothing happens.

Did you try "plugh" ?

Or maybe <ESC><ALT><CTRL><SHIFT><DEL> ? :twisted:
Former OTTer

Hel-G

Postby Hel-G » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:11 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:

Nice memory killer.

Uh, no you don't, at least not on Win7 , Chrome 36.0.1985.125 it zooms just fine.

Latest zoomfind (and over 1.2Gig memory): evolution, BHG asking about a fire hydrant, some cabalistic command like "du -hs video /A lot" . Can someone translate?

Oh, and chess boards inside the message, leading to strange stuff aaaaand Cueball& Megan contemplating the stars!

I'm going to start a rumor that if you zoom long enough in the right location, you get a secret code good for one free copy (printed paper style) of the What-If book. :mrgreen:

Have you tried "man du" in your terminal of choice? Oh, Win7... :D Mustard! Here's an explanation:

"du" is a unix-command that gives the disk usage of one or more directories. "-s" is an option that tells it to give the grand total of all subdirectories instead of listing separately. "video/" is the directory to search. The response gives the disk usage in kilobytes*.

Adding "h" to the options asks du to give its numbers in "human-friendly" format, that is, usually, in megabytes or gigabytes or more. Instead, it chooses an even human-friendlier format.

Oh, the "~$" means the user is in the home directory. The shop even has a T-shirt with a cheat-sheet for these commands.

*Edit: du usually gives blocks of 1 kB. I always add "-h" myself". Yup, read the manpage. Sorry for the mustard.
Last edited by Hel-G on Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:27 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

PayasYouDraw

Postby PayasYouDraw » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:16 pm UTC

I started with our heroes building a rocket, and then amused myself with endless chessboards, until I moved a bit and now all I get is "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE".
Ah-ooooh! Rolling back the rivers in Time!

dalcde

Postby dalcde » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:45 pm UTC

Automated scrolling:

Code: Select all

while [ 1 ]; do xdotool click 4; sleep 0.2; done

(modify the sleep value to suit your needs/computer)

cantab314

Postby cantab314 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:48 pm UTC

Would it hurt to warn people that the comic is a browser stress test? My system is to blame for killing my programs and throwing me back to the login screen, but if I'd known I could have closed my virtual machines first.

Keyman

Postby Keyman » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:50 pm UTC

Chrome (Version 36.0.1985.143 m) works fine here (if you define 'fine' as 'scrolls/zooms well enough quickly enough to probably keep me at it for most of the rest of the day when I actually have work that....well, yeah, it can wait')

dwilhelmi

Postby dwilhelmi » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:03 pm UTC

It wasn't working for me at all at first, but it turns out that was because I was hitting xkcd.org, instead of xkcd.com. All browsers transition to a blank white if accessing via .org.

Ceetar

Postby Ceetar » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:07 pm UTC

Code posted above seems to confirm: Scroll and stay in white space, or black space, to advance the story. otherwise your side-stepping to the other stories. Needs more struts.

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:19 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:I'm going to start a rumor that if you zoom long enough in the right location, you get a secret code good for one free copy (printed paper style) of the What-If book. :mrgreen:

Actually, it tells you how to unlock the Triforce in Ocarina of Time and rescue the Zoras.

Moole

Postby Moole » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:44 pm UTC

All that zooming in and no zooming out? Seems a bit arrogant of Randall to assume that the original comic isn't itself a pixel in some great comic! (Maybe all of the xkcd comics are pixels and it's up to us to arrange them into a new comic?)
Mathematical hangover (n.): The feeling one gets in the morning when they realize that that short, elementary proof of the Riemann hypothesis that they came up with at midnight the night before is, in fact, nonsense.

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:18 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
Andromeda321 wrote:Further, most of the panels repeat, but I saw one joke that repeated- the boy and girl wondering to each other "let's be honest- can we really tell if anyone lives in Stockholm?" I'm sure the Swedish will be happy. :lol: (For the record, pretty sure some people live there as I went there last spring, and it seemed like a nice enough place.)

I thought the joke was that people who live in Stockholm and claim that they like it there may just have Stockholm Syndrome. The quote was "How do we know anyone really wants to live in Stockholm?"

That must be the joke, yes. Thanks, Forrest, I don't think I would have thought of Stockholm Syndrome on my own.
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:41 pm UTC

It's like Click and Drag, only worse. How will I ever know I haven't missed a panel?!

... Look at someone's collage of all the images? No, that's cheating.

Klear

Postby Klear » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:47 pm UTC

Edit: oops, too big. Can't easily fix until cat leaves my lap...

Anyway, what's this? Looks intriguing..:

Retsam

Postby Retsam » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:53 pm UTC

So I'm a bit rusty on the technical definition: could this comic be classified as a fractal?

Rombobjörn

Postby Rombobjörn » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:01 pm UTC

Well, people are moving to Stockholm all the time. One bus-load every day I think I've heard. We could try asking some of them if it's because they want to live here, or because they want to live.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:19 pm UTC

For those who can't zoom themselves, I've made a YouTube video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS8KQDPvKOg
It's actually zooming out played backwards. It should cover most of the images.

Edit: Oh hey, it's my 500th post.

gervasium

Postby gervasium » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:44 pm UTC

Concerning the Harry Potter reference... I am consistently surprised that people don't notice that HP's time-travel follows Novikov's Self Consistency Principle, meaning not only were paradoxes impossible, changing the timeline is as well. Why does every one insist HP's time-travel is the one that causes plot holes, when Hollywood is full of paradox orgies like Looper and Back To The Future?

hurax

Postby hurax » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:57 pm UTC

Retsam wrote:So I'm a bit rusty on the technical definition: could this comic be classified as a fractal?

I don't know if there's a single technical definition for fractal. It isn't self-similar in the whole (which would have been too boring), but has self-similarity, and seems like there are a lot of "points" where it is actually self-similar.
It doesn't have a fractal dimension, since each white or black pixel contains details, so the dimension of the white/black border is exactly 2. But so is the Mandelbrot Set, and two is larger than the topological dimension of 1, which I think was one of Mandelbrot's definitions. On second thought, I'm no longer convinced that there is a border with topological dimension 1.
But I've found iterations of the Cantor Set in it :)

hetas

Postby hetas » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:59 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:For those who can't zoom themselves, I've made a YouTube video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS8KQDPvKOg
It's actually zooming out played backwards. It should cover most of the images

You can zoom with the keyboard now.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:18 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:Interesting, I got to the superstring and the tab in Chrome crashed because of consuming too much memory. I guess 32-bit browsers can't get beyond Planck lengths.
64bit Chrome was released to stable last week. You do have to run the 64-bit installer to upgrade your installation though.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:50 pm UTC

No matter where I zoom, I get black pixels at the next iteration...

Samik

Postby Samik » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:36 pm UTC

hicksbw wrote:I have a thinkpad. I have a trackpoint. There is no scroll. The scroll is not.

Two ways to scroll with a Thinkpad, depending on your configuration:

1.) Press and hold middle button, then push trackpoint up and down.

2.) Press and hold middle button, then move finger up and down along right side of track pad.

m1el

Postby m1el » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:46 pm UTC

http://fiddle.jshell.net/1a8fnc30/4/show/

So I decided to visualize the link graph of this comic.
Looks very complex for me.

Edit: fixed link directions

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:26 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
da Doctah wrote:In b 4 anyone else:

Are you a turtle?

Ouch -- someone else in the "old fart" category :P . I ain't betting my bippy on that!

Am I to assume, then, that you are not then, in fact, a turtle? Or do you owe me a drink?

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:47 pm UTC

Samik wrote:

Two ways to scroll with a Thinkpad, depending on your configuration:

1.) Press and hold middle button, then push trackpoint up and down.

2.) Press and hold middle button, then move finger up and down along right side of track pad.

3.) Click inside the comic, then press and hold up/down arrow key.

MarkW

Postby MarkW » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:51 pm UTC

Next up: combine Height and Depth to visualize sizes from the Planck length up to the observable universe. Added stops on the way down could include other baryons, quarks, DNA, flea egg, etc... and stops on the way up might show star sizes, galaxy morphology, and the large scale structure of the universe. Loop the top and bottom.

Money would also zoom nicely, but it already has.

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:47 pm UTC

If you enjoy this comic, you may also enjoy Nested, an infinitely expanding tree - http://orteil.dashnet.org/nested

LockeZ

Postby LockeZ » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:26 pm UTC

Works fine on my old-ass Windows XP computer running Firefox 25. Stopped showing new images after like 50 layers.

Boring comic is boring. Randall seems to save up these gimmicky comics for when he has nothing funny to say.

Dr What

Postby Dr What » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:36 am UTC

I found something weird. Sometimes when I zoom in an image, it suddenly changed to another one. Did anybody notice this bug?
If you zoom in the center area, the images will change. Might be some bound-related issues.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”