1390: "Research Ethics"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Freiberg

1390: "Research Ethics"

Postby Freiberg » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:29 am UTC

Title text: "I mean, it's not like we could just demand to see the code that's governing our lives. What right do we have to poke around in Facebook's private affairs like that?"

At first, I thought that everybody was overreacting to this: social media companies test things out all the time, and in any event this only caused 0.1% shifts in public moods, only detectable with their huge sample size. Then I realized that while large manipulation is obvious, almost nobody would even notice such subtle changes like that.

Now I don't know what to think.

teelo

Re: 1390: "Research Ethics"

Postby teelo » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:33 am UTC

In before Randall fixes the double "what"s.

Freiberg

Postby Freiberg » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:39 am UTC

Will he fix that? I thought that was just his own subtle experiment...

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:00 am UTC

The uncorrected original will be collectible! SAVE AS! Quick, before he notices!
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:02 am UTC

*puts on British accent*

Looks like we've got some mustard, what what?
Bets on how long before it gets fixed?

Edit for posterity, the current version:

Last edited by BlitzGirl on Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:06 am UTC

Wait for for it.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:08 am UTC

Perhaps this should have been titled "Research Ethics Ethics."
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

LonePaladin

Postby LonePaladin » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:37 am UTC

It's the Double Double Dude Dude Ranch Ranch!

(I've been watching way too much Sesame Street with my son. I'd provide a link, but that makes the system think it's spam.)

Klear

Postby Klear » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:41 am UTC

Damn. I came here mainly to point out the the mistake, but turns out people are talking about nothing else.

Edit: @LonePaladin That happens only to people who forget to read the rules.

nunks

Postby nunks » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:56 am UTC

Freiberg wrote:At first, I thought that everybody was overreacting to this: social media companies test things out all the time, and in any event this only caused 0.1% shifts in public moods, only detectable with their huge sample size. Then I realized that while large manipulation is obvious, almost nobody would even notice such subtle changes like that.

Now I don't know what to think.

I think Facebook should answer for the risks this kind of experiment entails. You never know what could be the last straw for someone on the edge, and the larger the scope, the larger the risks of someone killing oneself or someone else. The fact that most changes would stay unnoticed while affecting the discernment of the users is what scares me the most.

Then again, it has always been difficult to know what's true and what's not.

Antior

Postby Antior » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:22 am UTC

The research isn't valid, anyway.

According to my own research, there aren't any sane people on Facebook. So it's not a valid sample of the population.

obfpen

Postby obfpen » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:42 am UTC

No, Randall mustn't be allowed to "fix" the what what "mistake". Then there'd be two groups of readers who see different things (assuming there aren't different groups already; there is precedent here) and who knows what nefarious things will be done with the data that generates.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:54 am UTC

What what are we talking about?
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:06 am UTC

The title text is the most interesting to me, because the agreement we signed when we joined up with Facebook does let them do things like this. We signed away our privacy, Facebook didn't.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:10 am UTC

Envelope Generator wrote:What for for it.

Fixed what for you. :roll:

I'm in the dark here: what (what) did facebook do this time that it's upsetting some people?

sol_hsa

Postby sol_hsa » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:21 am UTC

Eutychus wrote:What what are we talking about?

Mostly the 'what what' word doubling.

But also the recent debacle regarding one paper published by facebook, wherein they manipulated random people's news feeds, and noticed that if you see a lot of negative stuff, you tend to post negative stuff, and vice versa. Here's some slashdot on the subject: http://news.slashdot.org/story/14/07/02 ... and-frenzy

Khrushy

Postby Khrushy » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:21 am UTC

Antior wrote:The research isn't valid, anyway.

According to my own research, there aren't any sane people on Facebook. So it's not a valid sample of the population.

According to my own research, there are very few sane people in the general population, so I don't that would invalidate the sample.
Madness takes its toll, please have exact change.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:27 am UTC

Khrushy wrote:so I don't that would invalidate the sample.

I think think I stole your verb.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:38 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Khrushy wrote:so I don't that would invalidate the sample.

I think think I stole your verb.

You cheeky hat-person!

Invertin

Postby Invertin » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:01 am UTC

I don't know the law on such things in america but I was taught that a sociological/psychological test is automatically considered 'unethical' unless people are told what it entails and are allowed to decide whether or not their data is used in the actual results.

I don't remember the exact definition of ethical vs unethical by legal standards but at the very least that is one of them.

sol_hsa

Postby sol_hsa » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:13 am UTC

Invertin wrote:I don't remember the exact definition of ethical vs unethical by legal standards but at the very least that is one of them.

Ah.. remember the golden rule: who has the gold, makes the rules. ;)

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:23 am UTC

Two observations:
1. The first "what" looks as though it was added later - it's smaller and, perhaps, strangely kemed.
2. I found the first sentence quite hard to parse. I thought Facebook was showing us [how] to conduct the research. Was it just me?
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

speising

Postby speising » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:28 am UTC

randall, of course, is doing similar manipulations regularly with us. there's no other explanation for the AGW-denier baiting, for example.

Klear

Postby Klear » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:39 am UTC

Antior wrote:The research isn't valid, anyway.

But a huge amount of people are on facebook. Are you saying that people are insane?

orthogon wrote:2. I found the first sentence quite hard to parse. I thought Facebook was showing us [how] to conduct the research. Was it just me?

Not just you. I wanted to say the same thing, but I waited so I wouldn't have to double edit.

HES

Postby HES » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:13 am UTC

obfpen wrote:No, Randall mustn't be allowed to "fix" the what what "mistake". Then there'd be two groups of readers who see different things (assuming there aren't different groups already; there is precedent here) and who knows what nefarious things will be done with the data that generates.

Not that he's ever done that before.
He/Him/His Image

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:32 am UTC

Klear wrote:But a huge amount of people are on facebook. Are you saying that people are insane?

I do hope so. Else I'd be left out.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Morgan Wick

Postby Morgan Wick » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:38 am UTC

Comments from this point and below are from after the what what error was corrected.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:05 am UTC

What what? He actually did revise the comic just now? Again?

teelo

Postby teelo » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:18 am UTC

teelo wrote:In before Randall fixes the double "what"s.

Called it.

teelo

Postby teelo » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:19 am UTC

Flumble wrote:What what? He actually did revise the comic just now? Again?

I posted the old image in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22741&start=7640

obfpen

Postby obfpen » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:43 am UTC

I just saw the comic with the second what removed, and now I feel slightly worse. Has anyone seen the first what removed? If so, how did that affect your emotional state?*

* By answering this question you agree that the data you provide may be used by nefarious porpoises conducting research into the tolerance of land-based bipedal mammals to minor linguistic manipulations.
Last edited by obfpen on Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:48 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Klear

Postby Klear » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:44 am UTC

For those of you who didn't see the comic before it was first fixed, here it is:

Dr. Gamera

Postby Dr. Gamera » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:38 pm UTC

Facebook lost me when they made it difficult, if not impossible, to simply see all my friends' status updates in chronological order, most recent first. Please don't guess at what I want to see most; I wouldn't even want another human being doing it, much less an algorithm in this age of weak AI.

HES

Postby HES » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:43 pm UTC

Dr. Gamera wrote:Facebook lost me when they made it difficult, if not impossible, to simply see all my friends' status updates in chronological order, most recent first. Please don't guess at what I want to see most; I wouldn't even want another human being doing it, much less an algorithm in this age of weak AI.

This is by far their most annoying development. I've persuaded my computer to stick to "most recent", but have to set it manually each time on my phone. Even then I'm not convinced I'm being shown everything.
He/Him/His Image

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:55 pm UTC

Klear wrote:For those of you who didn't see the comic before it was first fixed, here it is:

Spoiler:

:) That's how most xkcds appear to the average non-geek...
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:15 pm UTC

The article doesn't mention review by an ethics committee. Then again, I get the idea that psychology ethics committees tend to approve anything so it probably wouldn't have made a difference.

gimmespamnow

Postby gimmespamnow » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:54 pm UTC

Facebook conducts experiments all the time on its user base, this isn't new. Most of the experiments have to do with ad placement or sponsored content and so on, basically, they are trying to figure out the best way to manipulate users to make more money. I don't know of any medium to large company that doesn't sometime try an experiment on customers and measure the results, and sure some of the experiments are pretty boring, (what time and day of the week is good to send out a marketing newsletter?) but all those things are ultimately psychological experiments...

What makes this Facebook experiment special is that is doesn't seem to have been conducted by the marketing department and doesn't have direct marketing value. You can say "this manipulated people's emotions" but most of the spam I get is designed to make me feel like I'm small in the manhood department or make me think that I can get rich by just giving someone my bank account info etc, are you going to claim that those AREN'T designed to manipulate me?

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:22 pm UTC

Eutychus wrote:What what are we talking about?

No, it's "Which what are we talking about?" :roll:

ETA:
1) Gosh a lot of OTTers popped up on this thread,

2) So you really think GLR isn't doing massive emotion-modification via his comics feedback software? :twisted:
Last edited by cellocgw on Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:24 pm UTC

Klear wrote:For those of you who didn't see the comic before it was first fixed, here it is:

You left out a ",Ginger" at the end.

(for those whom that mystifies, track down "blah blah Ginger" in the Far Side archives)
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

selene

Postby selene » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:09 pm UTC

Whether Facebook's actions were ethical or not, they were stupid. Facebook manipulated users in secret and then announced it. As I understand the story, individual users don't even know whether they were subjects of the study or not. Which makes every single facebook user feel potentially violated.

Companies manipulate our emotions all the time, from advertisements to product names to the color of a label. We expect this. What Facebook did that is so unusual is publish the results as academic research instead of (or in addition to?) using them to convince us to spend more money.

Academic studies that use human subjects are required to obtain informed consent. If informed consent cannot be given - such as when the subjects are young children, or psych studies where awareness would change the results - then the researchers need to get approval from an Institutional Review Board.
These rules do not apply to private companies. The only judge of their ethics is their customers. When this furor dies down we'll see whether anyone has lost trust in Facebook. (To judge from the reactions so far to this comic, no one actually cares what Facebook did).

What Facebook should have done is treat the subjects of its academic study like academic subjects. Get approval from the IRB of one of the universities that advised on the study. Get informed consent to use the data after collecting it. Maybe even compensate the subjects (with extra photo space or something).

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”