1376: "Jump"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

5th Earth

1376: "Jump"

Postby 5th Earth » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:20 am UTC

Title text: "I hope I'm at least following the curve of the Earth around to land ..."

I have this dream too. I generally can't fly freely, but I can sort of glide over the surface. With a little effort i can sort of "bounce" over obstacles too, like a glider sacrificing airspeed for a temporary gain in altitude.
It seemed like a good idea at the time.

San Fran Sam

Re: 1376: "Jump"

Postby San Fran Sam » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:32 am UTC

I have this dream, too. But then it turns out that I am just falling down the stairs.

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:37 am UTC

This is exactly how I imagine terraforming Mars/the moon will turn out.

standingwave

Postby standingwave » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:39 am UTC

I have this dream. I can run and jump to increasingly fearful heights. Then I worry about if I cn survive the landing. I'm never really flying but just leaping to great heights.

vish

Postby vish » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:22 am UTC

WOW , talk about RGOOMH

my only half success at lucid dreaming were just this .

"hang on, that last jump was a bit too long, i wonder if it's a dream and i can just glide, WOHOOO" - too excited , woke up.

mschmidt62

Postby mschmidt62 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:49 am UTC

I think (and I'm not claiming this is an original thought) that many common dream tropes are in fact efforts for our brain to make sense of conflicting inputs. We may be dreaming of walking, but lying on the bed, the feedback from our legs tell us they are not moving, and our feet are not feeling the force of the surface we are walking on pushing back. The glide is a compromise--we can cover distance without having to move our legs, and there is no dissonance between the sleep immobility of our legs, the lack of pressure feedback through our feet and legs, and the traveling we are doing in our dream.

I think the "driving from the back seat" dream is also somewhat like this. When driving we customarily rely on pressure feedback from the gas and brake pedal. When we are lying in bed, we get no back pressure from our feet--it is as if the pedals are too far for our feet to reach. Hence driving from the back seat of a car.

I've never had the "rotten or missing teeth" dream, but this could be fit into the same framework--we depend a lot of pressure feedback from our teeth when we chew. If you've ever accidentally got a small piece of gravel in your bag of lentils you know how important this is. If our jaws are motionless in sleep, but we are dreaming of chewing, our dreaming brains might interpret the lack of pressure feedback as a lack of teeth.

Jensenology

Postby Jensenology » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:36 am UTC

I used to have the falling-down-stairs dream as a child too. And I remember a bizarre, surreal sense of motion in dreams at the end of a day I'd spent on roller coasters or roller skating.

There is a really cool Japanese short animation (maybe part of a longer film) that was making the rounds a few months back. It is a first-person POV of this type of jumping dream: the jumps get progressively larger, and there is abundant visual detail in the scenery that the jumper takes in on each successive leap.

The forum software is flagging my post as spam unless I delete the link, but google Jumping animation Osamu Tezuka.

g.random

Postby g.random » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:34 am UTC

I used to have these dreams too. I never glided but instead made higher and higher jumps - in the end over trees and small hills at which point the dream usually fades off.

I heard that this (flying/gliding/jumping) is a common dream theme. And my idea where it origins from is as follows:
There was a time when many of us *were* able to - kind of - jump or glide in this way: When we were children and our parents led us their strength and support to actually make us do incredible jumps (through half the room) or fly where we wanted (on their arms or hurled into the air).
Could it be that these dreams stem from memories of these happy moments (as these dreams feel mostly good)?

CharonPDX

Postby CharonPDX » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:35 am UTC

Yup, I don't remember my dreams often, but when I do, I lucid dream - and this is a *VERY* common thread in my dreams. Even if it's not the "point" of the dream, it's nearly universal.

Also, related to this, I lucid dreamed some of the major "action points" of the original Matrix movie before it was released. (the "alternate reality", although in mine, it wasn't a machine-induced dream-like-state; including the "break the rules" in the alternate reality, including jumping long distances and even the Neo scene at the end of stopping all the bullets - although in mine, I then swept the bullets toward the ground to make them fall, rather than picking one out and dropping it.) I even told the dream to a friend - one I then saw The Matrix in the theater with. Partway through, I leaned over and mentioned "hey, this is kind of like that dream I told you about." When they started dodging bullets, I mentioned the "bullet stop" part. When that happened, we both looked at each other and did a "WTF?!?"

Tolf

Postby Tolf » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:07 am UTC

Congratulations. You've achieved the first super low orbit ever. I've been playing kerbal space program, as you could probably tell. You'll probably eventually hit some sort of building and maybe be able to climb down. Unless you're not following the curvature of earth. Then you'd fly into space infinitely. How could would that be? It's a dream, so I'd assume you wouldn't die in space.

I never have cool simple dreams like this. They're always like mindfuck time loops and shit like that.

Side note: People you only sorta know get confused and possibly scared when you yell "You're a time wizard, Jimmy!" at them.
Last edited by Tolf on Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

AdrianChallinor

Postby AdrianChallinor » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:09 am UTC

This is the trick of learning to fly. All you have to do is throw yourself at the ground and miss.

daitosyokan

Postby daitosyokan » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:49 am UTC

Does anyone else dream something like this, but they can't seem to control which direction they're jumping in? For me, I always feel like I'm veering off to one side, often times bouncing on one foot. Perhaps because I tend to sleep on my side, and my propioception is fighting with my dream "vision," telling me that I'm sideways and need to right myself?

Essah

Postby Essah » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:04 am UTC

fast forward to this comic being like the balloon one where you can glide around a vast drawn area.

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:20 am UTC

Or rewind to the comic with the guy whom gravity pulled sideways.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:42 am UTC

My flying dreams were never like this. Usually I'd throw myself down, come to a rest face-down about six inches off the ground, and then slide around like that. Never had the "too high" aspect at all.

Mind you, I could slide up and down stairs in the dreams, so I could change altitude that way.

Dlareg

Postby Dlareg » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:45 am UTC

You people should stop playing tribes before going to bed.

HES

Postby HES » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:11 am UTC

AdrianChallinor wrote:This is the trick of learning to fly. All you have to do is throw yourself at the ground and miss.

It's more of an art, or rather a knack.
He/Him/His Image

Ayehow

Postby Ayehow » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:52 am UTC

Hm, after being OK with just reading this forum for *years*, I finally register for such a worthless stupid cry like
EXACTLY! GOOMHR!

5th Earth wrote:With a little effort i can sort of "bounce" over obstacles too, like a glider sacrificing airspeed for a temporary gain in altitude.

Couldn't describe it more aptly. I've never flown a glider but my mind seems to have a perfect sense for this (maybe this dream goes away when I actually learn to pilot a glider and realize how way off this feeling was).

Evil Midnight Lurker

Postby Evil Midnight Lurker » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:57 am UTC

When I have this dream, I can sort of dog-paddle as though I were swimming. It's enough for direction and height control, though not much of a turn of speed.

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:25 pm UTC

I can hover for very short periods, sometimes accompanied by flapping my arms. Usually, though, my flying works like the cape in Super Mario World where I have to dive and then swoop back up to keep going. Sometimes it's a matter of jumping straight up in just the right way that I detach myself from gravity.

Oh wait ---- everyone else's comments are about flying in their dreams? I mean... uhhh ... yeah so was mine. Of course.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:29 pm UTC

I do a lot of running down hills and then tripping but somehow continue falling, even after the hill stops. I just kind of fall forward rather than down.

Don't stop while flying/falling. You will drop, then wake up and not be able to get back to the same dream.

Also, does anyone dream they're drinking moose juice then fall out of their beds screaming screams?

cegan09

Postby cegan09 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:34 pm UTC

I almost never remember dreams, but I know I've had this one many times, and it's one of the more vivid ones I can recall. I always attributed it to skiing. The gliding in dreams always felt like one of my speed runs on skis. Close to the ground, but sliding over it, and occasionally giving a little push off a crest and flying weightless for a second or two.

I've also had the jumping higher and higher dream as well. no idea where that one came from.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:39 pm UTC

Dlareg wrote:You people should stop playing tribes before going to bed.
+1
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:57 pm UTC

I always have the flying dream, I read somewhere it was a manifest of a person's need to escape.
Title text: "I hope I'm at least following the curve of the Earth around to land ..."
The world is flat, everyone knows that.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:14 pm UTC

Red Hal wrote:
Dlareg wrote:You people should stop playing tribes before going to bed.
+1

Make it a +2

airdrik

Postby airdrik » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:47 pm UTC

mschmidt62 wrote:I think (and I'm not claiming this is an original thought) that many common dream tropes are in fact efforts for our brain to make sense of conflicting inputs. We may be dreaming of walking, but lying on the bed, the feedback from our legs tell us they are not moving, and our feet are not feeling the force of the surface we are walking on pushing back. The glide is a compromise--we can cover distance without having to move our legs, and there is no dissonance between the sleep immobility of our legs, the lack of pressure feedback through our feet and legs, and the traveling we are doing in our dream.

I think the "driving from the back seat" dream is also somewhat like this. When driving we customarily rely on pressure feedback from the gas and brake pedal. When we are lying in bed, we get no back pressure from our feet--it is as if the pedals are too far for our feet to reach. Hence driving from the back seat of a car.

I've never had the "rotten or missing teeth" dream, but this could be fit into the same framework--we depend a lot of pressure feedback from our teeth when we chew. If you've ever accidentally got a small piece of gravel in your bag of lentils you know how important this is. If our jaws are motionless in sleep, but we are dreaming of chewing, our dreaming brains might interpret the lack of pressure feedback as a lack of teeth.

I don't know that the feedback goes as far as to expected pressure changes and such, but definitely signal+response; that is the brain attempts to send a signal (which is interrupted or never sent because I am still dreaming and therefore no action is to be performed) and when no response is received applies that (rather than generating the appropriate response) to the situation in the dream. In such a case, I've found that I can sometimes force the response and get the desired result, but it can be really arduous (I have to pump out a lot of signal in order to get the expected amount of response).
It also seems that as I approach the waking end of the dream that my awareness and control within the dream goes up (from being a mere passive observer of scenes to an active participant), my brain's expectation of real feedback goes up (leading to such things as limbs becoming harder to coerce to do their thing, vision within the dream being greatly reduced usually as a result of my eyes within the dream being forced closed, and of course the need to relieve myself becoming the sole focus of my dream - thank goodness my brain interrupts these signals or I would still be wetting my bed every once in a while).
This has on occasion lead to some rather surreal moments when I've woken from a dream where my state and surroundings in the dream were simultaneously unnaturally similar and completely different from my actual place of rest (e.g. at the end of my dream I was asleep or waking up in a bed in a room similar to my own). When this happens it can take a little while to figure out whats going on.

Of course I've been waking up to external stimuli (alarm clocks and kids) for quite a while and can only turn back to memories of summer sleep-ins for such descriptions.

Whizbang wrote:...
Also, does anyone dream they're drinking moose juice then fall out of their beds screaming screams?

I haven't done that yet, but I have been reading that book to my son lately (every night for the last couple weeks, since we got the book). Who knows but it could happen any night now.

Oh, and I've also had dreams about jumping and/or falling (some of which ended in my hitting the ground and waking up with an accelerated heart beat - I've gotten better at not hitting the ground, or at least surviving the impact so that I no longer wake up in such a state).

addams

Postby addams » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:50 pm UTC

mschmidt62 wrote:I think (and I'm not claiming this is an original thought) that many common dream tropes are in fact efforts for our brain to make sense of conflicting inputs. We may be dreaming of walking, but lying on the bed, the feedback from our legs tell us they are not moving, and our feet are not feeling the force of the surface we are walking on pushing back. The glide is a compromise--we can cover distance without having to move our legs, and there is no dissonance between the sleep immobility of our legs, the lack of pressure feedback through our feet and legs, and the traveling we are doing in our dream.

That is some Darned Good Guessing.

Does that explain the people that are not satisfied with the low physical feedback?
You know; Teeth Grinders, Sleep Walkers, Those people that can't have Blankets, because they tangle themselves up in them?

Some people are as little trouble as they can be, while Sleeping.
Other people let their Freak Flags Fly! Tell us about Those people.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:02 pm UTC

Hmmm, I remember some dreams (very few, but some of them) but never anything like this. I just hope that anyone else having this won't feel like a weirdo after reading this thread now.

counting_pine

Postby counting_pine » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:21 pm UTC

From the second panel we can see his height changing to match the level of land/sea below him, so he will probably at least follow the curve of the Earth - but not, I fear, to land ...

EDIT: It depends on how you read the sentence, whether it's "to land" (verb) or "to land" (noun). One of the two is I think probable, but the ideal - "to land on land" - is less likely.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:27 pm UTC

The Starlight Barking (the sequel to The Hundred and One Dalmatians) features travel by "swooshing" - hovering just above the ground and sliding "forward".

It does seem to be a fairly common experience.

And if he goes straight rather than following the ground, will he reach Valinor?

The Old Wolf

Postby The Old Wolf » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:18 pm UTC

I look forward to these dreams. They're amazingly liberating. Why they are so common is a mystery to me - we must be subconsciously dissatisfied with living in two dimensions.
"The greatest insanity is surely to see the world only as it is, and not as it might be."
-Miguel de Cervantes

Platypodes
Location: On a knot on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea

Postby Platypodes » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:53 pm UTC

I love those dreams! Mine start with running (instead of jumping) that turns into gliding above the ground--the strides just keep getting longer and higher till I realize I'm airborne, and it's so much fun... Running down a steepish hill in real life can feel a little bit like this on days when my energy level is high and my stride is just right; there are moments when I feel as if I almost don't need to touch the ground anymore.
videogamesizzle wrote:so, uh, seen any good arbitrary, high numbers lately?

HES

Postby HES » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:02 pm UTC

At what point dies gliding become falling sideways?
He/Him/His Image

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:39 pm UTC

I've never had a dream like this. :( Although there was that one where I blew through the air on a strong wind and then fell down a manhole. I had several falling-down-a-hole-in-the-ground dreams as a kid.

Tolf

Postby Tolf » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:43 pm UTC

HES wrote:At what point dies gliding become falling sideways?

The alt text there is interesting. I had no idea who Jeph Jacques was when I first read that strip. Now I read Questionable Content every weekday and have for over a year.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:51 pm UTC

In my lucid dreams (i.e. most of my dreams) I usually have to vividly imagine some kind of tactile feedback in order to do impossible things in the dream. If for example I was gliding over the ocean in this comic and wanted to stop, I would need to raise my arms or at least hands and imagine a feeling as though my hands or arms were attached to some gigantic invisible wing- or sail-like surfaces that I was waving against the air ahead of me, feeling the deceleration as the huge (nonexistent even in the dream) wings/sails dragged through the air to stop me. To accelerate back in the other direction would require either employing some similar kinds of invisible wings/fins to allow me to "swim" through the air (being weightless is easy and doesn't require anything special), or else imagining some kind of invisible jets or rockets attached to my hands and feet (Iron Man style) propelling me.

It usually takes a bit once I'm weightless and floating helplessly to realize it's a dream and conjure those imaginary devices to take back control of it. The emotion associated with it it a kind of controlled fury; usually it will be some kind of fear or helplessness (not necessarily from weightlessness) that triggers the lucidity of the dream, and then I rage against that in my mind with a kind of emotional fire that says "fuck this shit, this my my goddamn dream and it's going to do what I want it to". Then those kinds of conceptual devices come out to give me control back. Some times, if the plot of the dream gets too far into territory I don't want, I end up basically breaking the fourth wall of my own dream, "rewinding the video" to an earlier state, and essentially "writing" the dream-reality's future plot as though I was just writing a story. Someone in my dream does something that upsets me? I rewrite them so that they don't do that. Often I will leave them aware of the fact that I have done this to them, to make them feel helpless and powerless; they know that they wanted to do something against me but that I control every aspect of their reality and determined that they would not do that, no matter how much they wanted to. Depending on at what point I wake up, I either wake up feeling really happy and in control and in charge after ordering everything in my dream-world into a perfect state, or still angry if I was in the process of wrangling it all into control still.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Crissa

Postby Crissa » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:48 pm UTC

This is like my favorite kind of dream to lucid dream through; if a dream doesn't have a 3d world to explore, what's the point? ^-^

-Crissa

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:33 am UTC

In non-lucid dreams, I walk around normally, if a little slowly. The few times I have had lucid dreams, it is just like zero gravity. I can push myself off surfaces, or float up into the air by force of will. Once I wanted to find the house of my crush and talk to her in dreamworld, but the landscape was completely different from the real world so I couldn't find it.

Edit: how have you induced lucid dreaming? Waking up and keeping your brain active for half an hour before going back to sleep works quite well.
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

Platypodes
Location: On a knot on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea

Postby Platypodes » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:06 am UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:I've never had a dream like this. :( Although there was that one where I blew through the air on a strong wind and then fell down a manhole. I had several falling-down-a-hole-in-the-ground dreams as a kid.

Did you chase a white rabbit? Or, with the manhole, maybe a white sewer rat?
videogamesizzle wrote:so, uh, seen any good arbitrary, high numbers lately?

SvenV

Postby SvenV » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:44 am UTC

To change direction while gliding you just need to lean in the direction you want to turn. Altitude can be adjusted by cautiously tilting forwards or backwards.

Whenever I have these dreams (not frequently enough) I think about all the various possibilities the ability opens up, and/or about how much money I'm going to make teaching the technique to other people. Great dreams, but very disappointing to wake up from.

mschmidt62 wrote:...

I'm pretty certain I had the backseat driving dream before ever having driven a car (and certainly before hearing that anyone else had it).

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”