1373: "Screenshot"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

WilliamLehnsherr

1373: "Screenshot"

Postby WilliamLehnsherr » Mon May 26, 2014 9:02 am UTC

Alt-text: I'M PLUGGING IN MY PHONE BUT THE BATTERY ON THE SCREEN ISN'T CHARGING!

Yeah, I can understand the feeling. Though I get more annoyed when they have notifications they haven't checked yet. Seriously, how can you live with numbers in red at the top of your screen?

Also, late comic today.

rhomboidal

Re: 1373: "Screenshot"

Postby rhomboidal » Mon May 26, 2014 9:05 am UTC

FOR SOME WEIRD REASON MY BATTERY IS DRAINING LIKE CRAZY -- ALL MY SCREENSHOTS AND UPDATES CAN BARELY KEEP UP WITH IT

Istaro

Postby Istaro » Mon May 26, 2014 9:06 am UTC

I think today's comic is supposed to be a screenshot of a phone*, but I couldn't get past the black bar because the 85% battery was triggering my OCD. Top that sucker up!

* Can anyone confirm or deny? For reference, here's the comic again, as it appeared on my phone:

WilliamLehnsherr

Postby WilliamLehnsherr » Mon May 26, 2014 9:59 am UTC

Your internet connection isn't looking very strong.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon May 26, 2014 11:21 am UTC

WilliamLehnsherr wrote:Yeah, I can understand the feeling. Though I get more annoyed when they have notifications they haven't checked yet. Seriously, how can you live with numbers in red at the top of your screen?

This. I find unread Skype messages1 particularly hard to ignore, and yet some people are all "oh, I didn't notice that" when the window has been flashing orange on the taskbar for several minutes. Maybe those people who can ignore notifications are just more self-assured and don't crave the constant social validation of having their status Liked. They're also spared the disappointment of that notification turning out to be an auto-invitation to play some crappy FB game.

1 Protip: Log out of Skype before you share your desktop to an international phone conference.
[EDIT: s/shared/spared]
Last edited by orthogon on Mon May 26, 2014 2:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Volcano99

Postby Volcano99 » Mon May 26, 2014 11:50 am UTC

I can confirm, see the attached image to see how your screenshot appeared in my phone and you'll see that the original comic was a screenshot.
Attachments
Screenshot_2014-05-26-13-47-13.png

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Mon May 26, 2014 2:04 pm UTC

Volcano99 wrote:I can confirm, see the attached image to see how your screenshot appeared in my phone and you'll see that the original comic was a screenshot.

Just to check, I took a screenshot of your post. Seems legit.

tmp_Screenshot_2014-05-26-15-02-311807654469.png
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

HES

Postby HES » Mon May 26, 2014 2:42 pm UTC

Your phones are too similar. We need a third data point.
Spoiler:

On the subject of phone batteries, what the fuck is up with this?
Spoiler:
He/Him/His Image

hetas

Postby hetas » Mon May 26, 2014 5:49 pm UTC

You know where this is going.

No bars on Sailfish OS though only a peek menu. So I had to specially choose to let you see my 16 unread email messages.

20140526203738.png

speising

Postby speising » Mon May 26, 2014 5:59 pm UTC

HES wrote:On the subject of phone batteries, what the fuck is up with this?
Spoiler:

i had this occasionally after a crash. the battery would then climb slowly back up without charging.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon May 26, 2014 6:31 pm UTC

Battery monitoring doesn't actually measure how much energy is still stored in your battery - instead it measures some other variable related to the battery's output (probably the voltage). While the battery's under load at low charge, the energy produced by the battery being used up faster than it's produced at normal voltage, so the voltage drops until the energy use matches the available energy production. When the load on the battery is reduced, the battery's energy production can sustain a higher voltage, so the voltage recovers until it reaches the new equilibrium.

The chemical reactions inside the battery have a particular equilibrium voltage that they try to maintain, but also a limit to how much power they can produce, which decreases as the battery discharges. So you get a (very nearly) constant voltage until the power demand gets too high, then voltage is determined by both remaining charge and power demand.

SirWernich

Postby SirWernich » Mon May 26, 2014 6:39 pm UTC

a mate of mine sent me a screenshot to show the 40C temperature in pakistan. the only thing i noticed and commented about was the notifications.

i can't handle a screenshot with a full notification tray thing-place.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Mon May 26, 2014 7:24 pm UTC

This from a guy whose smartwatch has unread mail.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Mon May 26, 2014 7:48 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:This from a guy whose smartwatch has unread mail.

I always use my e-mail inbox as my to-do list, is that so odd?

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon May 26, 2014 8:00 pm UTC

WilliamLehnsherr wrote: I get more annoyed when they have notifications they haven't checked yet. Seriously, how can you live with numbers in red at the top of your screen?
Only "numbers in red" I get are weather alerts for cities I used to live in, which I can safely ignore. (Weather alerts for where I live now tend to be heat advisories, which can wait until I'm leaving the house.)

filecore

Postby filecore » Tue May 27, 2014 5:45 am UTC

HES wrote:Your phones are too similar. We need a third data point.
Spoiler:

Ooh, look at all those software buttons stealing valuable screen real estate.

Spoiler:

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Tue May 27, 2014 11:51 am UTC

Like, woah, doesn't anyone use a screenshot tool that lets you select a subregion? (no :( )
Or edit the screenie before sending along? (no no never)

Similarly, I find it really annoying when someone's using his laptop to show slides or spreadsheets during a meeting, and the damn Outlook notifier, including Sender, Subject, and the first line of text pops onto the screen. I can only hope that one of these days someone's SignificantOther sends a "Quickie at Lunch Today?" message for all of us to enjoy. :twisted:

Oh, and a Pro Tip in the vein of TheDailyWTF: don't grab a screen shot: aim your cellphone at a mirror and take a reverse-camera photo. That'll fix 'em!
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

paxxy

Postby paxxy » Tue May 27, 2014 12:07 pm UTC

I can't continue to pay attention in a TV show or movie if someone shoots an arrow at close range until I see them pick up the arrow.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue May 27, 2014 12:45 pm UTC

I love it when people take a screen capture of an image they are viewing so they can share it on Facebook or whatever. Really? You know how to do a screen capture but not a copy/paste or Save?

Stealth Tomato

Postby Stealth Tomato » Tue May 27, 2014 1:18 pm UTC

JUST SO YOU KNOW
WE'RE GOING TO A PLACE NEARBY
GOTTA GO

Lenoxus

Postby Lenoxus » Tue May 27, 2014 1:44 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:I love it when people take a screen capture of an image they are viewing so they can share it on Facebook or whatever. Really? You know how to do a screen capture but not a copy/paste or Save?

My guess is that people with less computer experience have been taught the screen-capture trick by tech support to help troubleshoot problems. They might not realize it's possible to take any smaller an image.

cellocgw wrote:Like, woah, doesn't anyone use a screenshot tool that lets you select a subregion? (no :( )
Or edit the screenie before sending along? (no no never)

A lot of this is done entirely with the phone, and no (non-phone) computer nearby. There are probably Android apps for taking a partial screenshot (not for non-jailbroken iOS, I'm pretty sure) or for editing images, but on a tiny enough screen it might feel like pointless effort.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue May 27, 2014 2:29 pm UTC

I CAN HAZ SCREENSHOTZ ON MY FONE?
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Tue May 27, 2014 2:40 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:I love it when people take a screen capture of an image they are viewing so they can share it on Facebook or whatever. Really? You know how to do a screen capture but not a copy/paste or Save?

Even more infuriating is when someone takes a screenshot that was originally in Portrait Mode and screenshots that image in Landscape (or vice versa) and posts it with all the useless border on the image. Doubly so for video.

Like this.

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT'S RIGHT IN THE WORLD, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue May 27, 2014 2:43 pm UTC

Jackpot777 wrote:

Even more infuriating is when someone takes a screenshot that was originally in Portrait Mode and screenshots that image in Landscape (or vice versa) and posts it with all the useless border on the image. Doubly so for video.

Like this.

You can pretty much guarantee that if they are taking a screen capture of an image so they can share it, they are doing exactly what you describe.

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Tue May 27, 2014 2:46 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
Jackpot777 wrote:

Like this.

You can pretty much guarantee that if they are taking a screen capture of an image so they can share it, they are doing exactly what you describe.

This needs to be shown to people.

brandbarth

Postby brandbarth » Tue May 27, 2014 3:14 pm UTC

phone_recharger.jpg

It took just five minutes to recharge both batteries at once!

Wait. This is no fun anymore.

HES

Postby HES » Tue May 27, 2014 5:34 pm UTC

Jackpot777 wrote:Even more infuriating is when someone takes a screenshot that was originally in Portrait Mode and screenshots that image in Landscape (or vice versa) and posts it with all the useless border on the image. Doubly so for video.

Like this.
Spoiler:

Great pic. Let me share it with everyone I know!

He/Him/His Image

Jamaican Castle

Postby Jamaican Castle » Tue May 27, 2014 10:29 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:I find unread Skype messages particularly hard to ignore, and yet some people are all "oh, I didn't notice that" when the window has been flashing orange on the taskbar for several minutes.

They're probably just using the Mac client, where the notification is a small number on the tray icon. (I have no idea why the Mac and PC Skype clients are so divergent. If I didn't know any better I'd swear I got one or the other from a third party, but I didn't... a mystery for the ages.)

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed May 28, 2014 12:25 am UTC

Oh man this post cracked me up:

Screen Shot 2014-05-27 at 5.22.18 PM.jpg

Then again so did this one:

Screen Shot 2014-05-27 at 5.22.51 PM.png

Click the link in the second one its real funny!!!
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

WilliamLehnsherr

Postby WilliamLehnsherr » Wed May 28, 2014 2:23 am UTC

I have to disagree with this post:

xkcd screenshot.jpg

And what's a quote button?

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Wed May 28, 2014 10:27 am UTC

Jamaican Castle wrote:
orthogon wrote:I find unread Skype messages particularly hard to ignore, and yet some people are all "oh, I didn't notice that" when the window has been flashing orange on the taskbar for several minutes.

They're probably just using the Mac client, where the notification is a small number on the tray icon. (I have no idea why the Mac and PC Skype clients are so divergent. If I didn't know any better I'd swear I got one or the other from a third party, but I didn't... a mystery for the ages.)

Nah, the Linux client does the same as the mac one, I guess the windows one is just the odd one out amongst the pc clients. Apart from not being written for a UNIX derivative (could this explain the similarities between the UNIX clients?). How do the phone clients do this? I rarely use Skype.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Thu May 29, 2014 1:38 pm UTC

So I took this picture with my phone...
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”