0309: "Shopping Teams"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ShadowLurker
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 3:41 am UTC

0309: "Shopping Teams"

Postby ShadowLurker » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:01 am UTC

Image

Alt-text: "I am never going out to buy an air conditioner with my sysadmin again."

LOL "That is not your main problem!" I like this one, though it's not one of his best. And I can definitely relate to the nerds *nods*

Though, I wonder what they're buying

User avatar
Cryopyre
Posts: 701
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:00 am UTC
Location: A desert

Postby Cryopyre » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:04 am UTC

Analytical philosophy
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.

Economica
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:56 pm UTC

Postby Economica » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:04 am UTC

It's all about expected marginal utility. :D
Travel well, we'll see you on the other side.

User avatar
thedufer
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:11 am UTC
Location: Northern VA (not to be confused with VA)
Contact:

Postby thedufer » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:07 am UTC

I think this may be the first time I have found myself in the non-nerd category. Maybe instead of nerds it should be "frugal nerd". Or, to be blunt, "cheap nerd". I generally fall in the nerd category, but I don't tend to carefully choose the brand with the best deal. Maybe this will change when I'm the one paying for stuff.

toysbfun
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:14 am UTC
Contact:

Postby toysbfun » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:12 am UTC

I don't know if it was the comic or the good mood I'm in, but this one made me laugh out loud.

User avatar
Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.
Posts: 1693
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:02 pm UTC
Location: Washington, DC

Postby Nyarlathotep » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:12 am UTC

This is my dad and I when we go shopping for electronics.

Though apparently, I'm something like five nerds when it comes to shopping. Often I'll leave without buying a damn thing. Unless it's in a comic book store, in which case I have to be dragged out after being forced to put down all the Serenity action figures and Godzilla plushies.
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

Steven.nevets
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:16 am UTC

Postby Steven.nevets » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:14 am UTC

it's very true, value is hard to define. if we use the example of an air-conditioner. is it price? power per dollar? size of the unit? how many cats will fit into it? you need a clear definition in order to make these important decisions...

*sigh* sometimes i wish I didn't relate with these comics so much

User avatar
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick
Posts: 8933
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:33 pm UTC
Location: One of those hot places

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:16 am UTC

I don't understand people who buy breakfast cereal according to unit price. I don't care how big that box of Rice Krispies is, the Grape Nuts are $2.25 per pound!
Image
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

huadpe
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:08 am UTC

Postby huadpe » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:20 am UTC

Economica wrote:It's all about expected marginal utility. :D


Actually, since there are only 2 air conditioners, the function is undefined at all except two discrete points, and marginal utility doesn't exist.

Actually, now I'm tempted to pose a game theoretic problem based on the comic. Suppose an infinitely repeated game, where 2 products are available being bought by 2 buyers, one of which is superior to the other. One player (nerd) can tell which is superior by examination in each round, though which is superior is randomized, so it can't be extrapolated past that round. The other player can tell if she got the superior or inferior after purchase, but she can tell. If the nerd must give advice before each round to the non-nerd, what would the equilibrium for each be, if an equilibrium exists?

Remember that the non-nerd would notice if the nerd's advice were always bad, and thus choose the opposite, so that's not gonna be optimal for the nerd.

User avatar
Code J
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:37 am UTC
Location: In Denial.
Contact:

Postby Code J » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:27 am UTC

Eh. I'm a cheapskate.


Either the inner nerd or the inner Jew.

proudfoot
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:22 am UTC

Postby proudfoot » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:33 am UTC

huadpe wrote:
Economica wrote:It's all about expected marginal utility. :D


Actually, since there are only 2 air conditioners, the function is undefined at all except two discrete points, and marginal utility doesn't exist.

Actually, now I'm tempted to pose a game theoretic problem based on the comic. Suppose an infinitely repeated game, where 2 products are available being bought by 2 buyers, one of which is superior to the other. One player (nerd) can tell which is superior by examination in each round, though which is superior is randomized, so it can't be extrapolated past that round. The other player can tell if she got the superior or inferior after purchase, but she can tell. If the nerd must give advice before each round to the non-nerd, what would the equilibrium for each be, if an equilibrium exists?

Remember that the non-nerd would notice if the nerd's advice were always bad, and thus choose the opposite, so that's not gonna be optimal for the nerd.


This depends on, of course, the gender and attractiveness of said non-nerd.

User avatar
Delbin
Posts: 472
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:50 pm UTC

Postby Delbin » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:38 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:I don't understand people who buy breakfast cereal according to unit price. I don't care how big that box of Rice Krispies is, the Grape Nuts are $2.25 per pound!


I'm confused. Do you mean not according to unit price?

User avatar
Jach
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 8:38 pm UTC
Contact:

Postby Jach » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:40 am UTC

The girl with a television for a head is back!

I often go in stores, look around, think "Hmm, I wonder if I could buy this cheaper online", and go back home and check it out. After seeing that I couldn't, I usually just forget about the item and don't buy it.
I love reading quotes.

User avatar
Cabhan
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:34 am UTC
Location: Boston, MA, USA
Contact:

Postby Cabhan » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:49 am UTC

Maybe it's just because I haven't gotten to game theory yet, but I'd personally probably end up doing a utilitarian analysis of both devices.

Personally, what made this comic for me was just the last line. "That is NOT your main problem!" Genius.

LassLisa
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:44 am UTC
Contact:

Postby LassLisa » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:55 am UTC

I've learned not to do that with unimportant purchases, but with something like an air conditioner or a new computer it's almost crippling.

I've been looking for a new laptop for months. Then I decided to just use my old laptop and build a desktop. I expect 6 months to a year before I decide what specifications I want, at which point my old laptop will have broken and I'll be forced to buy something just to have a computer.

Forewarned: Not always forearmed.

MissingDividends
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 8:59 pm UTC
Location: Cambridge, MA
Contact:

Postby MissingDividends » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:58 am UTC

Steven.nevets wrote:it's very true, value is hard to define. if we use the example of an air-conditioner. is it price? power per dollar? size of the unit? how many cats will fit into it? you need a clear definition in order to make these important decisions...

*sigh* sometimes i wish I didn't relate with these comics so much


Hmm... since it's all important, maybe we need a formula that takes it all into account; formulas make everything easier!

GirlNoir
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:47 pm UTC
Location: Watching, always watching...

Postby GirlNoir » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:00 am UTC

Yarg female non-nerd! :-)

I've had this happen so many times. Usually it's me and my father at Fry's, but I tend to defer to his superior nerdity. Although, the boyfriend and I have been known to argue for far too long over component parts at Radio Shack. (It was an emergency robotics project! I swear! We usually buy online...)

By the way, hi all. :-) Long-time lurker, first time poster.
phisrow: "You know, I only need one hand to operate a blowtorch."

killerstar
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:59 am UTC

Postby killerstar » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:16 am UTC

I don't think it is a problem of definition. My guess is that the problem comes from a lack of an objective measurement of "value". For instance, although we can argue for hours on a clear definition of intelligence, there are ways to measure it and, further, to compare.


Great comic. It made me think...

SirOmega
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:16 pm UTC
Location: Bright light city gonna set my soul, gonna set my soul on fire...

Postby SirOmega » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:16 am UTC

This also is optimal for non-nerd stuff.

e.g. a cute and fashion savvy friend of my sister took me shopping a few weeks ago for clothes. It worked well because as a nerd I have no fashion sense, and she knows what is hip. So I spend $300 on clothes and can manage to look not so much like a nerd anymore. Of course that illusion vanishes when I open my mouth and start optimizing solutions....

aylatrigger
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:11 am UTC

Postby aylatrigger » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:17 am UTC

It is worse with my family... 5 nerds all arguing. This actually happened when we were picking out my cousin's air conditioning unit (Though we do it for grocery shopping too... arguing over a 2$ bag of chips can't be explained as easily...)

User avatar
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick
Posts: 8933
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:33 pm UTC
Location: One of those hot places

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:43 am UTC

Delbin wrote:
Bakemaster wrote:I don't understand people who buy breakfast cereal according to unit price. I don't care how big that box of Rice Krispies is, the Grape Nuts are $2.25 per pound!


I'm confused. Do you mean not according to unit price?

No wonder you're confused, apparently I don't know what unit price is. I thought it meant (quite reasonably, I might add) the price it costs to buy one of something. Like, a box of cereal. My mistake.
Image
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Sinisterff
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:49 am UTC

Postby Sinisterff » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:56 am UTC

I LOLed at the alt text, i wonder if i went at Best Buy with some of the Nerd at my class to buy a hard drive, the employees just look at us weird for being there half an hour, oh and maybe this will happen

----------------
Now playing: Nobuo Uematsu - 10 - The Castle

User avatar
Banana Sam
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:29 am UTC
Location: Canada

Postby Banana Sam » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:04 am UTC

I run into more or less this problem trying to sell stuff at work. it's fine if the customer actually has some kind of input or gives me some place to start. like if they point at a laptop and ask if it's going to do what they want it's easy. (mostly because 48 times out of fifty a 256 would do what they want)
but when people walk up to me and ask "what computer do you recommend?" I seize right up inside I'm thinking "Do you have even a vauge idea the number of variables here? your asking me to pick out of like thirty, the one computer that fits the needs of a total stranger!" I don't say that of course, I generally just mumble about WiFi until something useful happens.
as signatures go, I could probably do alot better than this.

jasticE
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:15 pm UTC

Postby jasticE » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 am UTC

I tend to estimate the price over usage time before deciding how much time to spend on a price based decision process, ie looking for a better deal. It gets hard though when trying to figure out how much I am actually going to use a particular item.

User avatar
Unforgiven
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:48 am UTC
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Postby Unforgiven » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:52 am UTC

Jach wrote:I often go in stores, look around, think "Hmm, I wonder if I could buy this cheaper online", and go back home and check it out. After seeing that I couldn't, I usually just forget about the item and don't buy it.

For me, I'm all about instant gratification. If I can get either wait a few days to get the new gadget or pay a few bucks more at the local store to get it right now, I'll pick the latter option in many cases (unless the price difference is really extreme).
"Now we're at the museum. Do you think they'll have DDR in there too?"
"It's Japan. Of course they will."

EvanED
Posts: 4331
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:28 am UTC
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Postby EvanED » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:18 am UTC

SirOmega wrote:This also is optimal for non-nerd stuff.

e.g. a cute and fashion savvy friend of my sister took me shopping a few weeks ago for clothes. It worked well because as a nerd I have no fashion sense, and she knows what is hip. So I spend $300 on clothes and can manage to look not so much like a nerd anymore. Of course that illusion vanishes when I open my mouth and start optimizing solutions....


My first thought: clearly you should not open your mouth then. Problem solved.

Second thought: seems like I better keep my mouth (or, as the case may be, my fingers) closed too. ;-)

User avatar
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen
Posts: 5101
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:12 am UTC
Location: C:\Users\Xeio\
Contact:

Postby Xeio » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:26 am UTC

Unforgiven wrote:
Jach wrote:I often go in stores, look around, think "Hmm, I wonder if I could buy this cheaper online", and go back home and check it out. After seeing that I couldn't, I usually just forget about the item and don't buy it.

For me, I'm all about instant gratification. If I can get either wait a few days to get the new gadget or pay a few bucks more at the local store to get it right now, I'll pick the latter option in many cases (unless the price difference is really extreme).


Except for the recent case with Bioshock, I can always wait to buy something, especially since I can get it cheaper online a lot of times (free shipping at Amazon usually, and no sales tax, yay!). But I'm also frugal with my money, so when I spend my money, I look for the best deal. :wink:

Also, first post!

User avatar
Lil'Bondy
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:15 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Postby Lil'Bondy » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:49 am UTC

Xeio wrote:
Unforgiven wrote:Except for the recent case with Bioshock, I can always wait to buy something, especially since I can get it cheaper online a lot of times (free shipping at Amazon usually, and no sales tax, yay!). But I'm also frugal with my money, so when I spend my money, I look for the best deal. :wink:

Also, first post!


I can sorta relate, but i never wait to buy things, i just dont buy them, hell, my computer is an assortment of other peoples old parts (how i get it to run new-age games ill never know :P)
So I 'meow' a lot... Get used to it!

Domovoi
Posts: 215
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:37 am UTC

Postby Domovoi » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:10 am UTC

Lil'Bondy wrote:hell, my computer is an assortment of other peoples old parts (how i get it to run new-age games ill never know :P)


New-age games? You mean.. like Endorfun?

User avatar
Jello B.
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 7:46 pm UTC
Location: The dotted line surrounding the mind of a self called nowhere.
Contact:

Postby Jello B. » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:41 am UTC

Domovoi wrote:
Lil'Bondy wrote:hell, my computer is an assortment of other peoples old parts (how i get it to run new-age games ill never know :P)


New-age games? You mean.. like Endorfun?

I remember that game. After every level, there would be like some part about peace, or fortune, or something. I have approximated this using The GIMP.
Image

Tengfred
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 2:29 pm UTC

Postby Tengfred » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:45 am UTC

killerstar wrote:I don't think it is a problem of definition. My guess is that the problem comes from a lack of an objective measurement of "value". For instance, although we can argue for hours on a clear definition of intelligence, there are ways to measure it and, further, to compare.

That's just two sides of the same coin, though. Saying we can objectively measure intelligence, implies a definition of what intelligence is, namely that which is measured by IQ-test. This definition is convenient for some situations, but doesn't necessarily stop us from hours of debate over to what extent this definition correlates to some other, perhaps less well-defined, definition.

Similarly, a good definition of value would (if it doesn't it would be a bad definition) solve the problem of objective measurement. If for example we find that value is defined as "cooling effect/price", measurement is trivial.

Hmm... I probably should not go shopping for air conditioners with killerstar :D

Domovoi
Posts: 215
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:37 am UTC

Postby Domovoi » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:53 am UTC

Jello B. wrote:
Domovoi wrote:New-age games? You mean.. like Endorfun?

I remember that game. After every level, there would be like some part about peace, or fortune, or something. I have approximated this using The GIMP.


No, not after every level. You'd get messages about peace and fortune constantly. They were 'subliminally embedded' in the game's music.

the_nexus_p
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:56 am UTC

Postby the_nexus_p » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:02 am UTC

The way I look at things, time has value too. If I think the amount of time that I will need to decide the optimum purchase will be worth more than how much the optimum purchase is better than some random purchase, I will not spend that time.

Of course, I can compromise, and, say, spend half the required amount of time to narrow down the choices to half of the original pool. Maybe I need to figure out how much time is the optimum amount of time to figure out a purchase (but that might take more time than is worth it)

User avatar
Jack21222
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:13 pm UTC

Postby Jack21222 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:09 am UTC

The bystander shouting out "That's not your main problem!" cracked me up.

User avatar
madjo
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:07 am UTC
Location: Dutch-land
Contact:

Postby madjo » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:37 am UTC

Jello B. wrote:I remember that game. After every level, there would be like some part about peace, or fortune, or something. I have approximated this using The GIMP.

I admit to be a GIMP newbie, how did you create that graphic?
Most stuff I can create with it, aren't nearly that elaborate-looking.
:)

You are carrying:
- a slightly paranoid Android
- two left feet (not my own)
- a still unfed and very hungry hippo
- broadsword of +5 ridiculousness stained with the blood of the undead souls
- a stetson Resistol, cuz stetson Resistols are cool.

Domovoi
Posts: 215
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:37 am UTC

Postby Domovoi » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:12 pm UTC

Is it just me, or does the layout for this comic bug other people too? I can't stand the fact that there's a huge white area in the lower left.

Cassi
Posts: 1950
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:53 pm UTC
Location: England.

Postby Cassi » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:26 pm UTC

The layout bothered me before I read it, but once I actually read the comic I didn't notice it...

As far as value goes, I'm always one extreme or the other -- I'll buy something because it's shiny without thinking about the price, or I'll spend a month trying to find the best deal, and then not want/need it anymore...

Does anyone have this problem with books? I'll spend ages on amazon, trying to get the most number of books for my money, but then trying to decide how much I should take into account the length of the book or if I know I'm going to like it...is it worth paying more for something I'll definitely like instead taking a chance?

In the end, I usually just change it around to I'm within pennies of what I can afford, and hope for the best. :P

User avatar
roaikgid
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:26 am UTC
Location: michigan

Postby roaikgid » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:45 pm UTC

Domovoi wrote:New-age games? You mean.. like Endorfun?

I just found my endorfun cd yesterday and put it on my comp. It's still pretty fun.

Domovoi
Posts: 215
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:37 am UTC

Postby Domovoi » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:00 pm UTC

Endorfun got a lot of bad reviews back in the day, probably because it's highly touted 'feature' of subliminal, endorfin-releasing messages was nonsense, but all in all the puzzle game itself was actually pretty fun.

Also, with just a puzzle game like that they would probably never have gotten that much press. Even a publisher would seem unlikely. So the whole angle of "this game makes you addicted because you want to keep it releasing endorfins into your brain to make you feel good" was a pretty smart marketing move.

User avatar
evilbeanfiend
Posts: 2650
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:05 am UTC
Location: the old world

Re: "Shopping Teams" Discussion

Postby evilbeanfiend » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:14 pm UTC

Alt-text: "I am never going out to buy an air conditioner with my sysadmin again."


cos you got such an awesome air conditioner it will last you forever, right?
in ur beanz makin u eveel


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 45 guests