1315: "Questions for God"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Klear
Posts: 1965
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:43 am UTC
Location: Prague

Re: 1315: "Questions for God"

Postby Klear » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:17 pm UTC

Kit. wrote:
The Synologist wrote:When I was reading about the Dyatlov Pass incident for the first time, I thought that if I had only one question that could be answered, it would be about just what the heck happened up there.

The answer would be mundane. Like this:

When they set up their tent, they dug into the snow, disrupting the stability of the snow slope. When they were asleep in their tent, the snow up the slope fell down and hit their tent. They were suddenly awoken in a dark tent collapsed under the snow's weight. They were able to cut the wall near their heads and to crawl out. Being disoriented by the snowy stormy darkness and afraid of a bigger avalanche, they decided to abandon the remains of the tent and to move to the forest that they knew was down the slope.


I wonder if your friends ever tell you you are a boring person.

User avatar
CigarDoug
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:31 am UTC

Re: 1315: "Questions for God"

Postby CigarDoug » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:35 pm UTC

addams wrote:
CigarDoug wrote:Why did you create THREE different religions, and set them up to constantly be at war with each other?

I can't tell.
So much inflection is lost to the written word.

Three Religions?
Are you American?

I know there are Americans that believe Judaism, Christianity and Islam are three different Religions.

Yes, but it has nothing to do with me being American. My question is only partially tongue-in-cheek. The God of Abraham is the same God for Jews, Christians and Muslims. Simply put, the Jewish Torah is the Old Testament for Christians and the Old Testament equivalent for Muslims. We all believe in the Garden of Eden, Noah, Abraham, and Moses. We diverge at certain points. Jews believe the Torah tells them what God wants them to do. They are waiting for the Messiah to return. Christians believe Jesus is the Messiah, and the rules changed. Muslims believe that Jesus was not the Messiah (don't quote me, but I think they consider him a prophet or something), but neither was Mohammed, but the rules changed. I honestly don't know if Muslims are waiting for the Messiah or not.

The holy lands for all three religions are in the same general area, and each religion tells its adherents that THEIRS is the only correct one. So, we are positioned to be at odds with one another, as history has shown. I am leaving out the internal differentiations between Jews, Christians, and Muslims; those all appear to be man-made. God may well tell me that man made these distinctions, but if you take all three books at face value, they each say "This is the only way". So either man rewrote the books to suit himself, or God set us up, for what purpose I cannot understand.

I have also heard the theory that ALL religions are separate paths up the same mountain. I'd like to know the reasoning for that. The reason I left out the thousand+ other religions because none of them claim to be the God of Abraham. I am curious, addams, do you NOT consider these to be three separate religions?
"If we all do one small thing to help; in our organizations, our churches, our community, how much can we accomplish together?"

User avatar
keithl
Posts: 662
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:46 pm UTC

Re: 1315: "Questions for God"

Postby keithl » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:35 pm UTC

ekim wrote:Is there some physics-y meaning of 'turbulence' that the comic/Horace Lamb is referring to?


Both quantum mechanics (Lamb said "quantum electrodynamics") and turbulence are well understood physical theories, but the individual instances are unpredictable from the starting conditions. "Why?" is an easy question - otherwise, the God+Universe system would be deterministic, and vulnerable to the halting problem.

Also, steamboats are noisy, and useless in a heaven without fuel or bodies of water, but are excellent for navigating seas of fiery brimstone. Just the ticket for those annoying predestinationalists.

User avatar
CigarDoug
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:31 am UTC

Re: 1315: "Questions for God"

Postby CigarDoug » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:37 pm UTC

What is the funniest thing you heard an atheist say when they got here, and where did they end up?
"If we all do one small thing to help; in our organizations, our churches, our community, how much can we accomplish together?"

mschmidt62
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:09 am UTC

Re: 1315: "Questions for God"

Postby mschmidt62 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:41 pm UTC

Anybody who knows their protestant theology would know that it's not what the steamboat did that resulted in its damnation, but rather its lack of saving faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. Now, if the steamboat had the mind of an infant, or less, it might have been saved through baptism, depending on which One True Denomination the One True God happens to be recognizing as correct this week.

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 3099
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 1315: "Questions for God"

Postby orthogon » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:49 pm UTC

CigarDoug wrote:I have also heard the theory that ALL religions are separate paths up the same mountain. I'd like to know the reasoning for that.

I loved the first part of Life of Pi, which sort of addresses this. (The book, I mean; I don't know how much of the theology made it into the film). I've heard it said that Hinduism is sufficiently broad and varied that other religions could be considered as simply a special case of Hinduism, which is a pretty cool idea. Different Hindus place more or less importance on different gods anyway, so Jews and Christians are just Hindus who are more into the old beardy guy and less into the blue guy with the flute. And as Dawkins points out, Hinduism is more monotheistic and Christianity more polytheistic than is often acknowledged.

Having said that, in the book the pandit isn't very happy when he finds out Pi has been practicing Christianity and Islam in parallel with Hinduism, so maybe it's not so broad-minded after all.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

GalenBrown
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:07 pm UTC

Re: 1315: "Questions for God"

Postby GalenBrown » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:49 pm UTC

I was planning to make a flip remark about how the Miss Suzie rhyme is a classic example of an unreliable narrator (after all, how can Miss Suzie have gone to heaven but currently be kissing her boyfriend in the d-a-r-k, d-a-r-k, d-a-r-k dark dark dark?), but then I found an essay about the origins of the rhyme. Apparently this forum thinks urls are spam, so you'll need to do your own googling. The essay is called "Miss Susie Had a Steamboat: A Critical Analysis of a Schoolyard Rhyme"

It turns out that in the earliest known version (from Michigan in the 1950s) the steamboat didn't go to hell:
Hellen had a steamboat, the steamboat had a bell.
Hellen took some dynamite and blew the bell to Hell
O operator, give me number nine,
If it doesn’t answer, give me back my dime.


And the girl's name wasn't even Suzie!

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10331
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: 1315: "Questions for God"

Postby addams » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:13 pm UTC

CigarDoug wrote:
addams wrote:
CigarDoug wrote:Why did you create THREE different religions, and set them up to constantly be at war with each other?

I can't tell.
So much inflection is lost to the written word.

Three Religions?
Are you American?

I know there are Americans that believe Judaism, Christianity and Islam are three different Religions.

Yes, but it has nothing to do with me being American. My question is only partially tongue-in-cheek. The God of Abraham is the same God for Jews, Christians and Muslims. Simply put, the Jewish Torah is the Old Testament for Christians and the Old Testament equivalent for Muslims. We all believe in the Garden of Eden, Noah, Abraham, and Moses. We diverge at certain points. Jews believe the Torah tells them what God wants them to do. They are waiting for the Messiah to return. Christians believe Jesus is the Messiah, and the rules changed. Muslims believe that Jesus was not the Messiah (don't quote me, but I think they consider him a prophet or something), but neither was Mohammed, but the rules changed. I honestly don't know if Muslims are waiting for the Messiah or not.

The holy lands for all three religions are in the same general area, and each religion tells its adherents that THEIRS is the only correct one. So, we are positioned to be at odds with one another, as history has shown. I am leaving out the internal differentiations between Jews, Christians, and Muslims; those all appear to be man-made. God may well tell me that man made these distinctions, but if you take all three books at face value, they each say "This is the only way". So either man rewrote the books to suit himself, or God set us up, for what purpose I cannot understand.

I have also heard the theory that ALL religions are separate paths up the same mountain. I'd like to know the reasoning for that. The reason I left out the thousand+ other religions because none of them claim to be the God of Abraham. I am curious, addams, do you NOT consider these to be three separate religions?

Nope.
I do not consider Judaism, Christianity and Islam to be three different religions any more
than I consider Catholic, Mormon and Seventh Day Adventists to be three different religions.

I Know! Don't tell Them that!
Do you know how testy those people can get?

Not all of those people get testy.
Some are quite open minded and simply surprised to learn that Catholics are Christians.

Do you really think those are three separate religions?
We can not neatly divide the world up that way.

I took a shot at dividing the world up into MonoThesits and PolyThesits.
I learned a lot.

The Logic broke down when the PolyThesits and the MonoThesits became the same darned thing.
If you divide the world into three religions then that is the lens you see us all through.

I am sorry. Some of us might not fit.
Like the star shaped peg fitting into the round slot.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

jonbly
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:44 pm UTC

Re: 1315: "Questions for God"

Postby jonbly » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:16 pm UTC

It's time that someone mentioned the People's Front of Judea.

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 3099
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 1315: "Questions for God"

Postby orthogon » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:24 pm UTC

jonbly wrote:It's time that someone mentioned the People's Front of Judea.

Splitter!
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

rmsgrey
Posts: 3655
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: 1315: "Questions for God"

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:31 pm UTC

GalenBrown wrote:I was planning to make a flip remark about how the Miss Suzie rhyme is a classic example of an unreliable narrator (after all, how can Miss Suzie have gone to heaven but currently be kissing her boyfriend in the d-a-r-k, d-a-r-k, d-a-r-k dark dark dark?), but then I found an essay about the origins of the rhyme. Apparently this forum thinks urls are spam, so you'll need to do your own googling. The essay is called "Miss Susie Had a Steamboat: A Critical Analysis of a Schoolyard Rhyme"

It turns out that in the earliest known version (from Michigan in the 1950s) the steamboat didn't go to hell:
Hellen had a steamboat, the steamboat had a bell.
Hellen took some dynamite and blew the bell to Hell
O operator, give me number nine,
If it doesn’t answer, give me back my dime.


And the girl's name wasn't even Suzie!


This forum doesn't object to URLs - it just objects to people who haven't read the forum rules...

User avatar
Millumi
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:45 pm UTC

Re: 1315: "Questions for God"

Postby Millumi » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:32 pm UTC

"Why quantum mechanics, and why turbulence?"
He wanted to challenge sentient life to make them exercise their intellect and grow smarter until eventually reaching a point where they can be intelligent company.
Omnia vincit veritas.

User avatar
CigarDoug
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:31 am UTC

Re: 1315: "Questions for God"

Postby CigarDoug » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:46 pm UTC

addams wrote:
CigarDoug wrote:I am curious, addams, do you NOT consider these to be three separate religions?

Nope.
I do not consider Judaism, Christianity and Islam to be three different religions any more
than I consider Catholic, Mormon and Seventh Day Adventists to be three different religions.

Catholic, Mormon and Seventh Day Adventists are all Christians. They are just different denominations. Strip away most of the ceremony and they all believe the same thing: Jesus is the Son of God, he died for our sins, and was resurrected.

I guess you think I just picked the number three out of a hat. Do you think you could address the differences I cited between the Torah, the New Testament, and the Koran? They are pretty fundamental distinctions. Also, I am focused on the three religions that have the same exact origin point. Buddhism, Taoism, Hinduism, etc. don't talk about Adam, Noah, Abraham, and Moses; so they are a different discussion.

If you are going with the "all paths up the same mountain" theory, I am cool with that, just say so. But you pretty much ignored what I posted.
"If we all do one small thing to help; in our organizations, our churches, our community, how much can we accomplish together?"

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10331
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: 1315: "Questions for God"

Postby addams » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:03 pm UTC

CigarDoug wrote:
addams wrote:
CigarDoug wrote:I am curious, addams, do you NOT consider these to be three separate religions?

Nope.
I do not consider Judaism, Christianity and Islam to be three different religions any more
than I consider Catholic, Mormon and Seventh Day Adventists to be three different religions.

Catholic, Mormon and Seventh Day Adventists are all Christians. They are just different denominations. Strip away most of the ceremony and they all believe the same thing: Jesus is the Son of God, he died for our sins, and was resurrected.

I guess you think I just picked the number three out of a hat. Do you think you could address the differences I cited between the Torah, the New Testament, and the Koran? They are pretty fundamental distinctions. Also, I am focused on the three religions that have the same exact origin point. Buddhism, Taoism, Hinduism, etc. don't talk about Adam, Noah, Abraham, and Moses; so they are a different discussion.

If you are going with the "all paths up the same mountain" theory, I am cool with that, just say so. But you pretty much ignored what I posted.


Maybe you should discuss this with a different Poster.
orthogon wrote:
CigarDoug wrote:I have also heard the theory that ALL religions are separate paths up the same mountain. I'd like to know the reasoning for that.

I loved the first part of Life of Pi, which sort of addresses this. (The book, I mean; I don't know how much of the theology made it into the film). I've heard it said that Hinduism is sufficiently broad and varied that other religions could be considered as simply a special case of Hinduism, which is a pretty cool idea. Different Hindus place more or less importance on different gods anyway, so Jews and Christians are just Hindus who are more into the old beardy guy and less into the blue guy with the flute. And as Dawkins points out, Hinduism is more monotheistic and Christianity more polytheistic than is often acknowledged.

Having said that, in the book the pandit isn't very happy when he finds out Pi has been practicing Christianity and Islam in parallel with Hinduism, so maybe it's not so broad-minded after all.

I think you are 'on to something'.
Because we have an example of one individual that did not understand, does not mean we can discount the idea.

I like the idea.
Please; Explain it to the other Poster.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
da Doctah
Posts: 995
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:27 am UTC

Re: 1315: "Questions for God"

Postby da Doctah » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:39 pm UTC

CigarDoug wrote:What is the funniest thing you heard an atheist say when they got here, and where did they end up?

Atheist: "Well, I'll be damned!"
God: "If you insist...."

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10331
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: 1315: "Questions for God"

Postby addams » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:48 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:
CigarDoug wrote:What is the funniest thing you heard an atheist say when they got here, and where did they end up?

Atheist: "Well, I'll be damned!"
God: "If you insist...."

How about,
Atheist:"Oh, Hell!"
God: "No! Don't!"
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Lee_Dailey
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 12:14 pm UTC
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Re: 1315: "Questions for God"

Postby Lee_Dailey » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:44 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:I would ask him to buy me a Mercedes Benz.

howdy Neil_Boekend,

this forum needs some sort of upvote/downvote system! i was looking for a comment on this and your post made my day. thanks! [*grin*]

take care,
lee

The Synologist
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:50 pm UTC

Re: 1315: "Questions for God"

Postby The Synologist » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:53 pm UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:
The Synologist wrote:
LordHorst wrote:I would ask about the Voynich Manuscript. What's going on with that? Why was it created? And by whom?

I was thinking of mentioning that too, but I wanted to avoid the obvious replies of xkcd already covering it.


And then you decided to GIVE the obvious reply of "xkcd already covering it."

That depends... does saying that I didn't want to bring it up because of an obvious reply to someone who brought it up count as my giving the obvious reply?

BAReFOOt wrote:
The Synologist wrote:The Miracle of the Sun incident would also be high on the list too.


Mass-Hypnosis is considerably easier than you think. Especially when the stuff from a nearby field flies over, and there’s somebody with a suggestive narrative.

Give me a bit of LSD or similar, and maybe a hint of scopolamine, and I can produce another “miracle” anytime.

Wanna bet they all “lost” hours in their mind?

Something like that does probably account for most of it, but, as with the Dyatlov Pass incident, there's a few details that still seem to defy conventional explanation. The biggest one to me is that people who had forgotten about the date entirely also observed it.

Kit. wrote:
The Synologist wrote:When I was reading about the Dyatlov Pass incident for the first time, I thought that if I had only one question that could be answered, it would be about just what the heck happened up there.

The answer would be mundane. Like this:

When they set up their tent, they dug into the snow, disrupting the stability of the snow slope. When they were asleep in their tent, the snow up the slope fell down and hit their tent. They were suddenly awoken in a dark tent collapsed under the snow's weight. They were able to cut the wall near their heads and to crawl out. Being disoriented by the snowy stormy darkness and afraid of a bigger avalanche, they decided to abandon the remains of the tent and to move to the forest that they knew was down the slope.

Hahahaha, almost certainly. Still, I'd like to hear it from an eyewitness :P

User avatar
Pfhorrest
Posts: 5475
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: 1315: "Questions for God"

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:54 pm UTC

jonbly wrote:It's time that someone mentioned the People's Front of Judea.

Piss off! We're the Judean People's Front!

Next you'll be calling us the Judean Popular Front!
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

johnnyg
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:28 pm UTC

Re: 1315: "Questions for God"

Postby johnnyg » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:13 pm UTC

The Synologist wrote:Hahahaha, almost certainly. Still, I'd like to hear it from an eyewitness :P


I saw some news articles recently about a new book out by a guy named Donnie Eichar. I haven't read it myself, but his theory is that they panicked and left their tents because the wind patterns on the mountain can sometimes generate an infrasonic tone that has been known to drive people crazy, even if they don't consciously hear it. The missing eyes and tongues I guess were from scavenging animals. And apparently the radiation isn't included at all in the official reports, so was likely made up later as the story became more sensationalized. Makes sense to me...

User avatar
Flumble
Yes Man
Posts: 2263
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:35 pm UTC

Re: 1315: "Questions for God"

Postby Flumble » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:47 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:I would ask him to buy me a Mercedes Benz.

Nigerian God would surely buy you a Benz. But first you need to tell him the credentials of your bank account.


Conjugate wrote:Two questions.
First question: "What question would, when answered, provide me with the greatest satisfaction?"
Second question: The answer to the first question.

I think the quetion with the greatest satisfaction is composed of an infinite list of questions (each an infinitely deep tree of follow-up questions) glued together.*
Luckily you're in the presence of a god, so infinities aren't a problem and you'll be in a state of bliss/dead from then on.

Oh forget it already, a true god wouldn't bother letting you ask such a silly question. He's much too busy pushing the sun over the earth anyway.


*hurray, this includes a way to resolve Gödels incompleteness theorem.

User avatar
Steve the Pocket
Posts: 707
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:02 am UTC
Location: Going downtuuu in a Luleelurah!

Re: 1315: "Questions for God"

Postby Steve the Pocket » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:54 am UTC

Regarding quantum physics: You've heard the theory that if mankind ever figures out exactly how the universe works, it will disappear and be replaced by something even more inexplicable, I presume? And the second theory that this has already happened?

I would like to propose a third school of thought: That it's being constantly, and seamlessly, replaced by something more needlessly complicated every time mankind is on the cusp of figuring it all out.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

rmsgrey
Posts: 3655
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: 1315: "Questions for God"

Postby rmsgrey » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:21 am UTC

If the goal is to get the most out of a limited number of questions, then my first question would be:

"What should I ask for my remaining questions in order to get the most out of this opportunity?"

Of course, if I only get one question, I'd have to be cleverer about it: "If I had asked the question it would be best for me to have answered rather than this one, what would I have learned from combining your answer with my knowledge of the question I'd asked?"

If, instead, the goal is to to find out the answers to things that puzzled me in life, without being resolved by the circumstances, then I'd probably start with: "Is there a humanly comprehensible 'theory of everything' or just a large number of approximations to an incomprehensible reality?"

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10331
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: 1315: "Questions for God"

Postby addams » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:37 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote: "Is there a humanly comprehensible 'theory of everything' or just a large number of approximations to an incomprehensible reality?"

Huh? I like it.
If the answer is "No. There is no one Theory of Everything that humans can comprehend."
That would leave you with a good working theory? A large number of approximations. That is good.

The reason I am so willing to shut the door on a humanly comprehensible Theory of Everything is the equipment.
Our equipment is a fluid filled brain. We are limited by our fluid filled brain. There are things it can not think.

On the Up Side; There are interesting things we Can think.
Some shit comes very easily to humans.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Darekun
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:57 am UTC

Re: 1315: "Questions for God"

Postby Darekun » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:16 am UTC

CigarDoug wrote:I guess you think I just picked the number three out of a hat.

To me, it seems kind of a weird place to stop. It can be useful to take a broad view, wherein the various Abrahamics are lumped into one(the "same exact origin point" view), or to take a view that splits based on large scriptural differences(including the Book Of Mormon) and conflicts(including Shia vs Sunni and Catholic vs Protestant); both of those are solidly pinned. But in between is a wide sliding scale… Even grouping by politics would lump Judaism and Christianity before it lumped Christianity and Mormonism, and it would probably do both before it lumped Shia and Sunni.

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10331
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: 1315: "Questions for God"

Postby addams » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:24 am UTC

Yep. That is, just, the shit the men can think of, after dinner.
The rest of us run into Housekeeping, Fashion and Menu problems and solutions.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

phsyron
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:13 pm UTC

Re: 1315: "Questions for God"

Postby phsyron » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:14 am UTC

WHAT IN BLAZES ARE YOU GUYS ALL TALKING ABOUT

1st: her name is Molly

2nd: the steamboat went to heaven, Ms. Molly went to Hello operator give me number nine.

I can't believe that nobody in this thread knows the right words to this song.

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9118
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1315: "Questions for God"

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:36 am UTC

I guess the link to the song's Wikipedia page got posted in the OTT, but not in this thread, so: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Susie

(In the earliest known version neither lady nor boat went to hell, only the boat's bell.)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Hiferator
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:23 am UTC

Re: 1315: "Questions for God"

Postby Hiferator » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:00 pm UTC

Conjugate wrote:Two questions.

First question: "What question would, when answered, provide me with the greatest satisfaction?"

Second question: The answer to the first question.

What if the answer to the first question happens to be the first question?

I know that answer wouldn't be very satisfying, but a different answer, providing a satisfying question, would implicitly make answering the first question provide satisfaction making it a valid answer to the first question again. Now someone unscramble that.

User avatar
Klear
Posts: 1965
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:43 am UTC
Location: Prague

Re: 1315: "Questions for God"

Postby Klear » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:10 pm UTC

Hmm.. I believe we've forgotten the classics:

Can He create a stone so heavy that He won't be able to lift it?

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10331
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: 1315: "Questions for God"

Postby addams » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:19 pm UTC

Klear wrote:Hmm.. I believe we've forgotten the classics:

Can He create a stone so heavy that He won't be able to lift it?

Oh! Goodie!
I Love These!

Wonderful! Thank You!
My personal Favorite, "How many Angles can Dance of the Head of a Pin?"
I thought it was a stupid question. Then I talked to a Chemist.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Klear
Posts: 1965
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:43 am UTC
Location: Prague

Re: 1315: "Questions for God"

Postby Klear » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:27 pm UTC

addams wrote:Wonderful! Thank You!
My personal Favorite, "How many Angles can Dance of the Head of a Pin?"
I thought it was a stupid question. Then I talked to a Chemist.


Imagine a needle: a thousand Angels dancing on the tip, a camel going through the eye, hay all around.

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10331
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: 1315: "Questions for God"

Postby addams » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:53 pm UTC

Klear wrote:
addams wrote:Wonderful! Thank You!
My personal Favorite, "How many Angles can Dance of the Head of a Pin?"
I thought it was a stupid question. Then I talked to a Chemist.


Imagine a needle: a thousand Angels dancing on the tip, a camel going through the eye, hay all around.

Philosophers used to debate the question:
How many Angles can dance on the head of a pin?
Now we Know.
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+man ... B600%3B389

Ask a Chemist.
You may be referred to a Physicist.

Beware!
Those are some loopy conversations.

What about The Tree that Fell in the Woods?
Did it go Boom!?

Did you hear it?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Ken_g6
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:45 pm UTC
Location: in yer GPUz fakterin' primez in wardrobez

Re: 1315: "Questions for God"

Postby Ken_g6 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:49 pm UTC

Funny Randall should mention turbulence on the same day that Mukhtarbai Otelbayev claims to have solved it.

(Slashdot link if you don't trust Kazakh links.)

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10331
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: 1315: "Questions for God"

Postby addams » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:01 pm UTC

Ken_g6 wrote:Funny Randall should mention turbulence on the same day that Mukhtarbai Otelbayev claims to have solved it.

(Slashdot link if you don't trust Kazakh links.)

That is some hard Math.
I don't understand it.
I am glad they do.

http://www.claymath.org/millennium-problems
It is so curious to me.
We have been living with air and water a very long time.
We are still attempting to prove how they move?

quick edit:
Oh! Oh! That guy may not have a question for God.
That guy might have an answer for God.

Hey! Even if the MonoTheists are correct.
I have made things I don't understand.
Haven't you?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Sprocket
Seymour
Posts: 5951
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:04 pm UTC
Location: impaled on Beck's boney hips.
Contact:

Re: 1315: "Questions for God"

Postby Sprocket » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:25 pm UTC

I remember comedy! I miss you, comedy.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

ShifterCat
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:43 am UTC

Re: 1315: "Questions for God"

Postby ShifterCat » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:37 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:"So, God, .... how is a raven like a writing desk? "


According to my copy of The Annotated Alice, a few answers have been written for that. The best one is:

"The notes for which both are noted are not noted for being musical notes."
Last edited by ShifterCat on Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ShifterCat
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:43 am UTC

Re: 1315: "Questions for God"

Postby ShifterCat » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:41 pm UTC

Growing up, I heard it as "Miss Mary". I found out later that such ditties are called "teasing songs" -- they tease the listener by starting to say something, then segueing off into something else. "Suzanne Was A Lady" is another one.

Miss Mary had a steamboat, the steamboat had a bell (ding ding)
When Mary went to heaven, the steamboat went to
Hello operator, please give me number nine
But if you disconnect me, I'll stick you in
Behind the yellow curtain there was a piece of glass
When Mary sat upon it, she hurt her little
Ask me no more questions, I'll tell you no more lies
The boys are in the washrooms, pulling up their
Flies are in the pantry, bees are in the park
Miss Mary and her boyfriend are kissing in the
D-A-R-K dark dark dark!

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10331
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: 1315: "Questions for God"

Postby addams » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:05 am UTC

Did those songs function to exercise the memory?
Before there was so much to remember?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

SimonMoon5
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:00 pm UTC

Re: 1315: "Questions for God"

Postby SimonMoon5 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:11 am UTC

ShifterCat wrote:
cellocgw wrote:"So, God, .... how is a raven like a writing desk? "


According to my copy of The Annotated Alice, a few answers have been written for that. The best one is:

"The notes for which both are noted are not noted for being musical notes."


The answers I've always heard have been:

(1) Poe wrote on both.
(2) They can both produce notes though they are flat.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 115 guests