1268: "Alternate Universe"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

dalcde

1268: "Alternate Universe"

Postby dalcde » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:01 am UTC

Title-text: "As best as I can tell, I was transported here from Earth Prime sometime in the late 1990s. Your universe is identical in every way, except for the lobster thing and the thing where some of you occasionally change your clocks for some reason."

I eat neither.

rhomboidal

Re: 1268: "Alternate Universe"

Postby rhomboidal » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:04 am UTC

Oddly, tarantulas also taste amazing with lemon, butter, and garlic.

dalcde

Postby dalcde » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:15 am UTC

You've tried?

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:19 am UTC

I've always said that the most unappetizing thing about eating bugs is that you have to eat them whole because of their small size. If someone were to genetically engineer a giant cockroach that could be cracked open and eaten the way you eat a lobster, I'd probably eat it. Whether the scientists responsible wanted me to or not, because hey, it's a giant freaking cockroach; I'm not about to risk that thing accidentally getting loose. What are you, crazy? Don't genetically engineer giant bugs, idiots! Nothing good ever comes from that!
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Tkun

Postby Tkun » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:36 am UTC

But we all occasionally eat spiders! Some do it on purpose and some don't.

Vlet

Postby Vlet » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:44 am UTC

Well...

We ate more spiders than we are aware of, you know, ...probably.

Sleeping with the mouth open, several spiders roaming around, maybe other insects. Well they count as protein, no?

Personally, I don't mind eating lobsters or some types of insects (ants and crickets are common as food in some places, fried with "chile y limon").

zimdelinvasor

Postby zimdelinvasor » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:45 am UTC

I registered an account on here just to say that I'm the exact same way and I have never known anyone else to be as weirded out by the idea of eating lobsters as I am.
It's especially bad when I go up to Maine where my dad grew up and it's people eating lobsters everywhere.

hkedi

Postby hkedi » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:54 am UTC

I provide for you the tarantula cuisine of cambodia for your perusal.

* unfortunately it's a new account, so I can't post links, just google up "tarantula cuisine" *

Proof, if proof was needed, that humans will eat ANYTHING...

Achaemenid

Postby Achaemenid » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:04 am UTC

"Human insect-eating is common to cultures in most parts of the world, including North, Central and South America; and Africa, Asia, Australia and New Zealand. Over 1,000 species of insects are known to be eaten in 80% of the world's nations."

For most of the world, insects and arachnids are a staple protein source. An it makes sense. Theres a whole host of benefits over traditional livestock farming.

Edit: First post so no links, just search 'Entomophagy' on Wikipedia for my source.
Last edited by Achaemenid on Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:43 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Spoe

Postby Spoe » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:12 am UTC

People in this universe occasionally eat spiders. Tarantula is supposed to taste like a cross between chicken and cod.

I fully recognize it's really only a psychological thing which revolts me about eating spiders but not crabs or lobster.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:42 am UTC

In the universe I came from, rhythmn was spelled with an 'n' on the end.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Eternal Density

Grapevine grapevine.

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:43 am UTC

I occasionally find myself in an alternate universe in which my family remember having an entirely different conversation to the one I remember having.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:51 am UTC

zimdelinvasor wrote:I registered an account on here just to say that I'm the exact same way and I have never known anyone else to be as weirded out by the idea of eating lobsters as I am.
I'm not weirded out by it, but I've never really seen the appeal. They have less flavor than rice cakes, and roughly the same amount as styrofoam.

I apparently come from a universe just the other side of the one where Randall originated. The most puzzling thing about yours to me is that people will actually eat bell peppers on purpose.

(Side thought on a related topic: everything that's not generally considered "food" is described as tasting like chicken. Iguana? Tastes like chicken. Capybara? Tastes like chicken. Tasmanian devil? Kind of like chicken, but chewier. Maybe that's the flavor of things we're not supposed to eat. Which implies that we're not really meant to be eating the chickens either. Maybe they're here to supply the eggs, and eating the parent bird was a mistake made a long time ago that somehow propagated.)

idisjunction

Postby idisjunction » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:16 am UTC

This is why I gave up Sliding.

LolTheForce

Postby LolTheForce » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:27 am UTC

I am pretty sure that spiders-crawling-into-your-mouth-while-you're-sleeping thing is a myth. Feel free to prove me wrong.

Other than that, I am a vegan so I fee lthe same way about ALL animal products that people eat.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:28 am UTC

Red Hal wrote:In the universe I came from, rhythmn was spelled with an 'n' on the end.

I thought of those discussions when I saw this comic, Hal. Was it you, or possibly ST, who thinks they've come from a universe where Gene Wilder died many years ago?
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

HoopleDoople

Postby HoopleDoople » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:42 am UTC

From Wikipedia's page on Lobster:

In North America, the American lobster did not achieve popularity until the mid-19th century, when New Yorkers and Bostonians developed a taste for it, and commercial lobster fisheries only flourished after the development of the lobster smack,[23] a custom-made boat with open holding wells on the deck to keep the lobsters alive during transport.[24] Prior to this time, lobster was considered a mark of poverty or as a food for indentured servants or lower members of society in Maine, Massachusetts, and the Canadian Maritimes, and servants specified in employment agreements that they would not eat lobster more than twice per week.[25] Lobster was also commonly served in prisons, much to the displeasure of inmates.[26] American lobster was initially deemed worthy only of being used as fertilizer or fish bait, and it was not until well into the twentieth century that it was viewed as more than a low-priced canned staple food.

Having been transported to an alternate universe where people like lobster is thus not very sensible. Rather I would suggest that alien body snatchers have slowly replaced much of humanity and they happen to find lobster delicious.

willpellmn

Postby willpellmn » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:45 am UTC

Yeah, eating arthropods of any variety has never sat right with me. Especially after I read "Cold War in a Country Garden", where the shrunken human characters get into the habit of barbecuing insects to survive.

Reminds me of a blooper-clip show I once saw where a chef on a cooking show proudly announced, "Tonight I've got crabs!"

ZCM

Postby ZCM » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:00 am UTC

da Doctah wrote:(Side thought on a related topic: everything that's not generally considered "food" is described as tasting like chicken. Iguana? Tastes like chicken. Capybara? Tastes like chicken. Tasmanian devil? Kind of like chicken, but chewier. Maybe that's the flavor of things we're not supposed to eat. Which implies that we're not really meant to be eating the chickens either. Maybe they're here to supply the eggs, and eating the parent bird was a mistake made a long time ago that somehow propagated.)

Not everything. Someone I know who has tried seagull says that it doesn't taste at all like chicken - it tastes like walrus.

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:39 am UTC

In short:

Meat is muscles.

And spiders are not well known for their muscular mass.

That's it.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:45 am UTC

Red Hal wrote:In the universe I came from, rhythmn was spelled with an 'n' on the end.

Aren't you also from the universe where it's spelt dilemna?
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

sotanaht

Postby sotanaht » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:57 am UTC

I should assume Randall doesn't eat Crayfish either? Or shrimp? Or Crab? They are all practically identical except for size (shape for crab but put the meat side by side and tell me they aren't as related as chicken and turkey). Personally I don't eat mollusks, I find them slimy and I can't get past the fact that it's basically all organ meat.

Saharan

Postby Saharan » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:59 am UTC

Funny enough, history agrees with this. It's only recently that lobster has caught on as a gourmet item. In the past, it was the food of the poor, the servants, the slaves, and the prisoners. Servants actually stipulated in their contracts that they were not to be fed lobster more than a couple times in a week.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:16 am UTC

I also sometimes feel like I come from a place where things are slightly different; where I come from, for example, this comic would be titled "Alternative Universe".

Oh, hang on, I do come from such a place. It's called the UK.

Also, I love lobster. Do they still do the lobster burrito in Taco Bell? I couldn't get enough of those things when I was working in Silicon Valley c. 2001.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

sotanaht

Postby sotanaht » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:28 am UTC

orthogon wrote:I also sometimes feel like I come from a place where things are slightly different; where I come from, for example, this comic would be titled "Alternative Universe".

Oh, hang on, I do come from such a place. It's called the UK.

Also, I love lobster. Do they still do the lobster burrito in Taco Bell? I couldn't get enough of those things when I was working in Silicon Valley c. 2001.

I've never even heard of those, but if I ever saw Taco Bell advertising it I would immediately assume it was that imitation lobster crap, basically making it a fish burrito.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:33 am UTC

LolTheForce wrote:I am pretty sure that spiders-crawling-into-your-mouth-while-you're-sleeping thing is a myth. Feel free to prove me wrong.

If I remember correctly (and if Cracked can be believed), it was originally from a list of intentionally-ridiculous "factoids" that was compiled to mock the kind of ridiculous nonsense that gets spread as truth around the Internet by people who believe everything they read. It was designed to be something that was so obviously stupid and false that no-one would take it seriously. So, of course, people took it seriously, and now it too is on those lists of ridiculous nonsense that gets spread around as truth.

Of course, that story is itself something that gets spread around as truth by people who believe everything they read, so who knows? Maybe it's apocryphal. I like to believe it, though.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

TheoGB

Postby TheoGB » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:42 am UTC

phlip wrote:
LolTheForce wrote:I am pretty sure that spiders-crawling-into-your-mouth-while-you're-sleeping thing is a myth. Feel free to prove me wrong.

If I remember correctly (and if Cracked can be believed), it was originally from a list of intentionally-ridiculous "factoids" that was compiled to mock the kind of ridiculous nonsense that gets spread as truth around the Internet by people who believe everything they read. It was designed to be something that was so obviously stupid and false that no-one would take it seriously. So, of course, people took it seriously, and now it too is on those lists of ridiculous nonsense that gets spread around as truth.

Of course, that story is itself something that gets spread around as truth by people who believe everything they read, so who knows? Maybe it's apocryphal. I like to believe it, though.

I'm pretty sure it's been highlighted on QI as false, although I don't recall them giving the source of the false information.

joeyvalentine

Postby joeyvalentine » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:43 am UTC

This is how I feel about people who use "an" instead of "a" in front of words that begin with "h."

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:48 am UTC

ConMan wrote:

I thought of those discussions when I saw this comic, Hal. Was it you, or possibly ST, who thinks they've come from a universe where Gene Wilder died many years ago?
That was Belial. I was the one who also learned how to spell dilemna with an 'n'.

Angua wrote:

Aren't you also from the universe where it's spelt dilemna?
Yes. Yes I am.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:50 am UTC

TheoGB wrote:
phlip wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's been highlighted on QI as false, although I don't recall them giving the source of the false information.

This snopes.com article cites some references. However, the key reference is Insect Fact and Folklore, whose title makes you wonder how reliable it is as a source on spiders.

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:58 am UTC

sotanaht wrote:Personally I don't eat mollusks, I find them slimy and I can't get past the fact that it's basically all organ meat.

You may try scallops.

Gargravarr

Postby Gargravarr » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:07 am UTC

Where I come from, a surprisingly large part of the population write "them" ("dem") when they mean "they" ("de"). People just suddenly started doing it a few years ago. They seem to think that "them" is a more formal version of "they". Every time I read a sentence like "Them arrived yesterday", the Twilight Zone theme starts playing in my head.

Lobsters, however, are delicious.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:09 am UTC

joeyvalentine wrote:This is how I feel about people who use "an" instead of "a" in front of words that begin with "h."

I know. Give me a hour with someone like that and I'll extract a honest confession that they just do it to look clever.

ETA:
sotanaht wrote:
orthogon wrote:Also, I love lobster. Do they still do the lobster burrito in Taco Bell? I couldn't get enough of those things when I was working in Silicon Valley c. 2001.

I've never even heard of those, but if I ever saw Taco Bell advertising it I would immediately assume it was that imitation lobster crap, basically making it a fish burrito.

OK, so it turns out I love imitation lobster crap. Still, they were damned tasty. For the record I've had real lobster too, which was delicious.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:13 am UTC

joeyvalentine wrote:This is how I feel about people who use "an" instead of "a" in front of words that begin with "h."

Well, that one depends on accents more than anything else... There are words (eg "history") for which the H is pronounced in some accents and silent in others. And so, whether it takes "a" or "an" depends on your accent.

Unfortunately, in some circles, some spelling rules are regarded as the "correct" way to speak, and sometimes those rules travel to places where they no longer apply. So some people with accents that pronounce the H still think it's "more correct" to write, or even say aloud "an historic occasion" with a pronounced H, and think of it as some sort of exception to the vowel rule. This is really an overcorrection, and "a historic occasion" is still fine for those accents.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

DBPZ

Postby DBPZ » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:25 am UTC

Considering that mass~size^3, and muscle is used to move your body mass, and muscle force ~ size ^2, we can find the reason that people only eat BIG bugs.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:26 am UTC

I'm from the universe where lightning was always spelt lightening.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Jiffy

Postby Jiffy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:34 am UTC

da Doctah wrote:(Side thought on a related topic: everything that's not generally considered "food" is described as tasting like chicken. Iguana? Tastes like chicken. Capybara? Tastes like chicken. Tasmanian devil? Kind of like chicken, but chewier. Maybe that's the flavor of things we're not supposed to eat. Which implies that we're not really meant to be eating the chickens either. Maybe they're here to supply the eggs, and eating the parent bird was a mistake made a long time ago that somehow propagated.)

I heard somewhere that chicken taste is our "default" taste for meat, so every time we taste something unfamiliar we generalize it to just "meat", thus treating it as chicken taste.

Klear

Postby Klear » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:38 am UTC

I came to this universe three days ago, from one where the actor was spelled Jason Stratham.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:39 am UTC

I may or may not have ingested spiders at some point in my life. What is undeniable is that a spider once tried to ingest me. Never saw her, either, just woke up one morning with a row of five equally-spaced (and incredibly itchy) welts in a perfectly straight line down my forearm. I figure she was fine most of the night, but every time I rolled over in my sleep she took another bite out of me, probably just trying to hang on.

(For those wondering about the pronouns above, my default gender identification for spiders is female. The whole "spinning a web" thing just strikes me as stereotypically feminine.)

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:46 am UTC

That did read like you were sleeping with a weird spider girlfriend...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”