1238: "Enlightenment"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Klear

Re: 1238: "Enlightenment"

Postby Klear » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:52 am UTC

orthogon wrote:Klear, your written English is way better than the average for the UK. I thought for a long time that you must be an ex-pat.

Thanks for that! I guess I was quite underestimating myself there. After all, I'm very interested in language and writing, have worked as an editor for a while (in Czech, though =P) and majority of people everywhere simply don't care about that sort of thing as much as I do. My French on the other hand... yeah, I used to think I had a talent for languages. I guess it was just a talent for English =)

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:30 pm UTC

brenok wrote:I my eyes literally burned upon seeing this comic. But it begs the question: is there anyway it could get worse? Because one could think of alot of ways to annoy gramatically sensitive people.

Alright, you got me. My eyes literally burned just THINKING about reading these comments. Because I splashed sulfuric acid in them. OK, I didn't--but it would serve me right.

Barstro wrote:
orthogon wrote:In fact it looks as though flammable is the more recent word, coined specifically to avoid the ambiguity of inflammable.

That makes me feel better about humanity.

goofy wrote:
Barstro wrote:It bothers me that irregardless is a word now just because the public kept using it until better minds gave up. That might be why inflammable means what it means.

inflammable means "capable of being set on fire" and I don't see what that has to do with anyone giving up.

Most other "in" words mean the opposite;
indecisive is being not decisive
inadequate is being less than adequate

But, I can see people using inflammable the same way that "infamous" was used in "The Three Amigos", and the rest of society finally going along with it because it's hard to change the stubbornly ignorant. But, that was just for argument. I do not really believe that inflammable came about because people refused to speak correctly (unlike "irregardless", which is a direct result of people murdering a language).

There is a difference here too--if people assume that "inflammible" means "not able to burn" when it really means "highly able to burn," it is more dangerous to life and health. The invention of "flammible" was to reduce possible ambiguity or the dangers of ignorance.

arthurd006_5 wrote:
orthogon wrote:I once wrote a request to the IT helpdesk that said something like:
I wrote:Please could you assign an IP address for my PC, whose MAC address is 01:23:45:67:89:AB?

When I chased up whether it had been done, the guy said "No, you didn't seem too sure of the MAC address so I was waiting for you to confirm it". I had to go back and look what I'd written, then try to explain that a sentence that begins "Please could you ..." is a question and therefore requires a question mark at the end.

I think we need a new piece of English grammar, for sentences like this one:

Could you please consider this thing? which has these supporting non-controversial details.

How about:
Please, could you assign an IP address for my PC? Its MAC address is 01:23:45:67:89:AB.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

mschmidt62

Postby mschmidt62 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:06 pm UTC

I think that many people don't "get" this comic. As a insecure and un-internet-enlightened soul, I am willing to concede that I may be one of the people who don't get this comic.

Please let me know if I've made any grammatical, punctuation or spelling errors. Thank you.

brenok
Needs Directions

Postby brenok » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:17 pm UTC

mschmidt62 wrote:I think that many people don't "get" this comic. As an insecure and un-internet-enlightened soul, I am willing to concede that I may be one of the people who don't get this comic.

Please let me know if I've made any grammatical, punctuation or spelling errors. Thank you.

Yes, I'm insecure too.

Ilze123

Postby Ilze123 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:15 am UTC

I should be able to post pictures/url's now. This is the picture that I mentioned in my first post. The overusage of the "!"

http://lazysusanspeaks.com/wp-content/u ... table1.jpg

The picture is huge so I posted the url.

Keybounce

Postby Keybounce » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:36 am UTC

tomintx wrote:ND NW WE HV THE TYRNY F TWTR WHR WE MST MSH EVRTNG TGTHR N DNT HV NUF SPC 2 MK CMPLT THGTS R CLR CMMS @ ALL N NO RM FR PNCT NEWHR

Oh my stars, I can read that. Help me!
<this space on hold>

Keybounce

Postby Keybounce » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:47 am UTC

Alright, so a quick Google trip:

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22I+he ... y+good.%22

Returns about 42 results at the moment.

Kinda like how searching for "jar jar you're a genius" used to return 0, and now returns about 80.

EDIT: Forgot "journalistic, infotainment-like art product". Surprised that it only returns 9. I was expecting that to be higher now.
<this space on hold>

addams

Postby addams » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:32 am UTC

Keybounce wrote:
tomintx wrote:ND NW WE HV THE TYRNY F TWTR WHR WE MST MSH EVRTNG TGTHR N DNT HV NUF SPC 2 MK CMPLT THGTS R CLR CMMS @ ALL N NO RM FR PNCT NEWHR

Oh my stars, I can read that. Help me!

I can only read part of it.
Is it good?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:20 am UTC

I wan't to post alot of pitchers now.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:51 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I wan't to post alot of pitchers now.

Spoiler:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:38 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I wan't to post alot of pitchers now.

Spoiler:
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:20 am UTC

My pitchers are more good than you're pitchers.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”