1221: "Nomenclature"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

wyatt8740

Re: 1221: "Nomenclature"

Postby wyatt8740 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:36 pm UTC

The thread never mentioned the credits of the series.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:36 pm UTC

wyatt8740 wrote:The thread never mentioned the credits of the series.

I disagree.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:50 pm UTC
Spoiler:
marsilies wrote:
goofy wrote:The Doctor has been called "Doctor Who" on screen once. In The War Machines, the computer WOTAN says "Doctor Who is required. Bring him here." He was also called "Dr. Who" in the early comics.

There's another mention; towards the end of the Second Doctor serial Fury from the Deep, the Doctor is addressed as "Doctor Who" by Mr Harris during the dinner party.

The Doctor has also referred to himself as Doctor Who in roundabout ways. In The Gunfighters the Doctor assumes the name of Doctor Caligari and subsequently responds to the question "Doctor Who?" with "yes, quite right". In The Highlanders, the Second Doctor assumes the name of "Doctor von Wer" (a German approximation of "Doctor Who"), and signs himself as "Dr. W" in The Underwater Menace. He similarly poses as "the Great Wizard Quiquaequod" in The Dæmons; 'Qui', 'quae', and 'quod' being, respectively, the masculine, feminine and neuter Latin translation of 'who'.

Of course, the end credits for the show listed the character as "Doctor Who" for the first 18 seasons, as well as for the 2005 Christopher Eccleston season. David Tennant, by his request, was credited as "Doctor Who" for one episode.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:05 pm UTC
Spoiler:
Jackpot777 wrote:(cough)

Wikipedia wrote:From the first television serial through to Logopolis (the last story of Season 18 and also of the Tom Baker era), the lead character was credited as "Doctor Who" (or sometimes "Dr Who"). Starting from Peter Davison's first story, Castrovalva (the first story of the series' Season 19) to the end of Season 26, he is credited simply as "The Doctor".

---

For the 2005 revival starring Christopher Eccleston, the credit reverted to "Doctor Who". However, in "The Christmas Invasion", and subsequent stories featuring David Tennant, the character is once again identified in the closing credits as "The Doctor", with "The Parting of the Ways" being the only episode to feature David Tennant in which he is credited as playing "Doctor Who". According to Doctor Who Magazine No. 367 this reversion was specifically requested by Tennant. The lead character credit has remained "The Doctor" for Matt Smith's tenure as the eleventh incarnation.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:35 pm UTC
Spoiler:
SimonMoon5 wrote:
Antior wrote:Also, referring to The Doctor (character) as "Doctor Who" is about the same level of ignorance as mixing up Vulcans and Klingons.

And despite this fact, there are often long and tedious arguments in Doctor Who fan forums about whether or not his name is "Doctor Who." I usually suggest that this error is akin to calling Frankenstein's monster by the name "Frankenstein" or calling the original Captain Marvel (the one who uses the magic word Shazam (the name of the wizard who gave him his powers) to change from Billy Batson into Captain Marvel) by the name "Shazam." It's a tragic and yet common mistake.

But the justification some people give is that the credits have at times called him "Doctor Who" and there are the occasional in-joke moments where he refers to himself in a way that could be misinterpreted, such as giving a fake German name as "Doctor van Wer" or having a car with "Who1" as the license plate. Oh, and a computer one time said "Doctor Who is required," though the script-writer later admitted that that was a mistake. And there may have been other references (edit: as have already been mentioned on this thread, that I didn't read until I started typing this).

However, the movie versions of the character, played by Peter Cushing, definitely did refer to himself as "Doctor Who" but that was not canonical to the TV show continuity. So, there is at least one character called Doctor Who (just as there are characters named Frankenstein and Shazam), but they aren't who most people think of.

BAReFOOt wrote:
But that’s nonsense, since nobody ever calls him “Doctor Who".

Nobody on the *show* calls him "Doctor Who," but lots of real-world highly-mistaken people do. For example, there is lots of speculation in the media on who will play the next "Doctor Who," when they should ask who will play the next "The Doctor."
Last edited by mathmannix on Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:51 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:52 pm UTC

wyatt8740 wrote:The thread never mentioned the credits of the series.

The first page doesn't, perhaps. But the credits are mentioned several times after that.

You get no points for only reading the first page, and then going on to declare something about the thread as a whole which is demonstrably false, as demonstrated by the post above mine.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”