1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

MistyCat

Juggling Otter

Postby MistyCat » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:36 am UTC

I searched YouTube for "Juggling Otter" (as you do) and found this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfew-_3TI4Y

Opinions please: is it real?

Spoiler:
I knew that.
Purrr.
MistyCat wrote:Ch*rpedy ch*rp the ch*rpng ch*rp.

Waiting for Lucky

Peaceful Whale

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Peaceful Whale » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:24 pm UTC

No. Very much not real :P
In depth disproving!
1. No shadows for the cups:
2. They're all the same exact cup. Its always the same picture.
3. Watch the hands on the cups, they clip through a lot.
4. Watch arms themselves, they almost always solid picture that have been transformed. Especially when the otter lifts up the cup.
5. The money is the same way as the cups. It doesn't move at all.
6. the money and the cups aren't color balanced. Their color doesn't match the lighting.
7. Look at the other videos. They're all *decent* FX work.

Honestly Idk why I did this >.<.
Its fake, but its a cool 5 second vid thats not trying to harm anyone. Thumbs up to whoever made it.
My meta for future reference
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:38 pm UTC

Hi yappo! Welcome forward!

New OtherComic.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Sustainabilizer

Re: Saving the Internet

Postby Sustainabilizer » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:58 pm UTC

Again spoilered for extreme **ndishness.
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:Ch*rping m*stard. I'm truly sorry to hear that, Sustainabilizer.

However! As we have learned, there is always room for something more after The End. Even if it takes 11,000 yips or so, I'm hopeful that endish things created by unmolpish actors, things like this, eventually fall to more truthful, open discourse. It might take some battles with raptorcats, and it sucks steambottles in the meanTime, but even the sharpest Sadness can pass with enough hard work by good people.

Thanks a sea¹ for your encouraging words which help me to keep a stiff upper lip. I'll continue to fight for truth and freedom – for us, and for the (far?) future.

¹: big

balthasar_s wrote:
  1. Other places in the world can now try similar things because "it already works in Europe and they're happy about it"
  2. it can be followed by next things which leave the internet in an even worse situation.
What I'm also afraid of and don't want to happen is that some day we will no longer have "THE internet" but just "AN internet" because there will no longer one single internet for the whole world.

Exactly. Reddit already started to ban European users from a meme forum.

Once the new laws have been implemented in the EU (2 years from now at the latest), the same thing might happen in the xkcd forums, depending on whether they count as “commercial” or not – see below.

Also, the Gutenberg project is banning German users for different, but RELATED reasons.

The Internet is falling apart.

balthasar_s wrote:Is an online forum also responsible for ensuring that no copyright-violating content can be uploaded (automatically - by AI and filters, or manually - by moderators)?

Some people say: No. It only affects YouTube. That's what the creators of the directive had in mind.

Other people (including myself) say: Yes. That's what is written in the directive.

Whether the moderation is done automatically or manually does not matter, as long as everything is moderated before it appears in a public forum. Right now in the xkcd forums this strict form of moderation is only applied for the first five postings of each new forum member. EU law will require this to last permanently – for each posting, for each edit, etc. That's an incredible amount of work that cannot be expected of the moderators. Realistically, the only thing they can reasonably do is to ban all EU IP addresses from the forums. Maybe if many of us volunteer as “sub-moderators” and they trust us so much that they let us do this work ourselves, we can keep these forums open for EU citizens.

Again, whether this is necessary depends on whether the xkcd forums count as “commercial” – see below.

balthasar_s wrote:We are a thread on such a forum.
It is not located in EU,
but my copy of it, the ott mirror, is.
It can also be treated as a platform where people can upload things indirectly by posting them to the real OTT.

Luckily, from the wikipedia page I see that the article 13 (now 17) targets only commercial platforms working for profit.

As soon as a platform displays ads it counts as “commercial.”

Do the xkcd forums display ads? I never saw any, but that might be due to my browser configuration.

In any case, what to do now?
  • There is still some (riverish) hope to stop the directive. (In short: five EU countries oppose the directive. If we can extend this to cover 35% of the EU population, we can stop it.)
  • If we cannot stop the directive, the new laws have to be implemented. That may take up to two years. During that Time we can prepare lawsuits against the new laws. This has worked before.
  • If everything else fails, we can build a European OTT mirror whose mirroring relies on manual moderation. That's a lot of work, both the programming and the moderation, but it might work as a riverish bridge between the EU Internet and the Internets outside the EU.
Since I don't want to flood the molpish OTT with **dish things like this, I'll try to make this posting be my last one about this topic. If you want to discuss this further and/or to help, please send me an email (sustainabilizer@gerwinski.de) or a PM. Encryption encouraged.

In other news:

DILIGUNGCE …
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Help for addams completed successfully. Thanks!

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:37 am UTC

This calls for a molpishness deployment!

(Created yesterdip in Drawception)

Redundant:
Spoiler:

EmergencyMolpishness.png
EmergencyMolpishness.png (10.91 KiB) Viewed 14824 times

Keywords: BGUM drawception dc panel tightrope highwire balance line molpies squirpy lucky raptorcat rabtor bunnymolp pricklymolp snaaake it's a snake
ReturnRedundakitty02.png
ReturnRedundakitty02.png (96.65 KiB) Viewed 14824 times
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:25 am UTC

Hi, Lu!
Hi, Rosewinsall!
Hi, patzer!
Hi, moody7277!
Hi, NoMouse!
Hi, yappo!

So wonderful to see all these familiar faces stopping by.
Makes then place feel even homier than usual.

Yappo,it's great to hear your band is doing so well, and playing all over. Let me know when you start your US tour. :)

Sustainabilizer, that you for letting us know about the extreme *ndishness. I sometimes get overwhelmed by the amount of *ndishness in the world, I try to remember that there are a lot of molpish people doing molpish things in the world, and hope that they win win out over the *ndishness at least sometimes. :(

I think there were some other things I wanted to comment on, but I must coma. Also, I'm now feeling unmolpish. I'll try to come back with a better outlook tomorrow.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:20 pm UTC

So, some things seen in the thread since I last posted:

-- the apotheosis of GLR happened around NP100

--shortly there after, all four elements of the sea (which is big) had been invented

--there was a bit of mustard around np256

--we are deep in the Madness, which has inspired some and discouraged others
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:05 pm UTC

Newton developes a new branch of mathematics just to figure out gravity and falling objects!
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

lmjb1964 wrote:I sometimes get overwhelmed by the amount of *ndishness in the world, I try to remember that there are a lot of molpish people doing molpish things in the world, and hope that they win win out over the *ndishness at least sometimes.
this reminds me of these words from the song "dziwny jest ten świat" (strange is this world):
but people of good will
there is more of them
and I strongly believe
that this world will never die thaks to them

Sustainabilizer wrote:Do the xkcd forums display ads? I never saw any, but that might be due to my browser configuration.
forums.xkcd.com is not showing ads.
I'm not showing them either.
I don't like ads.

I'm not making money from 1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info.
I'm actually putting some money into it
(the server(s), the domain, electricity, time, ...)

If I decided I wanted to make money from it I could do something else like... I don't know... sell STAFs (if anyone wanted such a thing) or whatever else :)

continuation in spoiler
Spoiler:
Anyway, they say it will not affect "ordinary users",
and this might be true,
I'm too small and too unimportant for anyone to bother with
even if I would, technically, fit the definition.

But this is known way of doing it:
make a law in such a way that some "ordinary people" will not do according to the law because it makes no sense
but don't do anything to them, leave them alone
unless
you have something against them for some other reason
then you suddenly find this law

this is probably an overreaction from my side.

Here, in Poland some politicians are now saying all over the media something like this:
"this directive uses such an ambiguous language
that we can implement in such a way that will respect the freedom of Polish internet users."

That shows that they don't understand what they are talking about.
even if only some countries in europe implement these new rules
it will be a prolem for the whole world.

Also, why is this topic having media coverage now, after the voting and there was silence about it before?

Also I have seen some analysis,
that says it will be in conflict with the Polish constitution.
So the directive requires us to implement such a law
but the constituton doesn't allow such a law.
A conflict.
What will they do with it?

Also, 2 years seems like a lot of time but it isn't.
The problems begin when the first country implements this law which could be in a few months, even,

Actually, the problems can start even earlier, when first platforms change their behavior even before any country does this, which can start even now.
Luckily, this is reversible i think.

Also, I already started building the new botcastle of redundancy:
ETA: the OS doesn't want to install :/

Redundant
Spoiler:
botcastle-new0.jpg
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

svenman

Postby svenman » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:58 pm UTC

HeapUNG:

Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Whatever happened to the BSTA Ong countdown? I recall seeing it much lower already since the latest BSTA frame was onged, but then it seems to have reset.
Apart from Forum Games, mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams thanks all of us who helped. Her life is much better now.

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:08 am UTC

Megan looks like only a Meghead on the heap in that UNG. Image Reminds me of the Floating Head of Cueball newpage.

Hope the *ndish thoughts *nd, June Bug - it's too easy to get swamped by those, someTimes.

balthabotcastle, please let your new castle know that we prefer redundancy to reluctancy. And it would be nice if it molpies up soon!

moody7277 wrote:--we are deep in the Madness, which has inspired some and discouraged others

(Arguably still true in the Present.)

-

In Othercomic news, there is no new Othercomic yet. But it's the first dip of April, so it might be delayed because it's a doozy. The Garden Othercomic, probably my favorite Foolscomic, was delayed 3 dips if I'm remembering correctly.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:52 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
moody7277 wrote:--we are deep in the Madness, which has inspired some and discouraged others

(Arguably still true in the Present.)

And in the Outside.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:10 pm UTC

Happy Timeversary1190 from the basementhi. Don't have time for moreyet, but hoping to post more soontm

6Yeah, I'm late, but that just makes it more special
-1I'm trying
6!Miss y'all
404That wasn't a footnote1
1But that was!|
oA boring one, though =p

---------------------
EDIT
---------------------
p.p.s.2 Looking forward to our own emoji bracket -we've got enough floating around (including a few full-sheet collections) to do several rounds at least - I'll be sure to
Spoiler:

44Still reserved
63it==it
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:36 pm UTC

(Lunchbreak otting via MTA)

Holy CHIRP. I’m already thinking about the OTTercomic possibilities...
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:26 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Holy CHIRP. I’m already thinking about the OTTercomic possibilities...
One comes to mind right away - pitting NP 1000 against NP 1800 (if I remember the numbers correctly).

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

addams

Postby addams » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:47 pm UTC

Oh, Dear!
The E.U. is trying to protect its people from Facebugs and Russian Nesting Troll Dolls.

What it might do is End Time??
Oh, Dear!!

I'm scared.
(hides under covers)
Spoiler:
Wait For It.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:29 pm UTC

ucim wrote:pitting NP 1300 against NP 1800 (if I remember the numbers correctly).
FTFY
BSTA
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:56 am UTC

Those are them! Image

If I do try and run a smiley bracket, I'm thinking it would be the most RELATED ones, probably NP 1300 stuff (not including individual OTTer smileys). Probably closer to the U.S. basketball March Madness count of 64(ish) entries instead of GLR's 256. To give everymolpy a chance to get votes in, the voting spans would be much, much more like the sea than the rivers going on in the emojidome. Maybe multiple matchups running concurrently? Hmm...

Cue gaspUNG at Megfall:

And hi Febrion!
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:01 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:01 am UTC

Febrion wrote:p.p.s.2 Looking forward to our own emoji bracket -we've got enough floating around (including a few full-sheet collections) to do several rounds at least - I'll be sure to
Spoiler:
ucim wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Holy CHIRP. I’m already thinking about the OTTercomic possibilities...
One comes to mind right away - pitting NP 1000 against NP 1800 (if I remember the numbers correctly).

For blitzers' reference: Current OtherComic (although I'm not sure how it will look like after the event is over).
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:32 am UTC

In case this all vanishes like mustard in the wind, here's a RELATED action shot, featuring OTCish molpies:

Pricklymolp emerged victorious in that match, 12565 votes to 9539 for the squirpy. Two rounds on, the pricklymolp has just defeated the nonraptor cat by a cool 10,000 votes to make it into the Sweet Sixteen round of the emojidome.

Spoiler:

MolpyBout.png

Keywords: BGUM pricklymolp hedgehog squirpy squirrel emoji battle match versus bout cat extremely voting emojidome othercomic
ExtremelyRedundakitty.png
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:45 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:balthabotcastle, please let your new castle know that we prefer redundancy to reluctancy. And it would be nice if it molpies up soon!
Currently, I'm stuck with this.
The computer is a Cubieboard2.
I wanted to install Debian on it,
(because it is the same system which runs on the original botcastle and on my personal computers)
There is an instruction page (https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Allwinner) which tells that this device is supported by this installer and tells how to install.
I did what is written in the instruction but it didn't work.
It was stuck forever on the step "Starting kernel ..."
I was not able to do anything to make it work.
I was told to submit an installation report so I did it (https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=926140)
but I don't know what to do next. I lost some time with no good result.
So, currently, no redundancy for me.
BSTA

svenman

Postby svenman » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:52 pm UTC

The Othercomic is down to the last match and it's Pricklymolp against Starry Night. Tough decision for an OTTer, but either way the result is going to be RELATED.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:13 pm UTC

It's all RELATED.
Spoiler:
Bonus German pun: All (german) = space (english)
Wait on.

Spoiler:

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:14 pm UTC

Artist's conception of the final bout in the emojidome:

Spoiler:
night pricklymolp.png

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:31 pm UTC

Wingish manip! I like how Pricklymolp appears to be confronting the brightest star.
Little did we know that this epic showdown was happening while Cuegan slept through the Long Night.

ZoomanSP wrote:It's all RELATED.
Spoiler:
Bonus German pun: All (german) = space (english)

Even bonus puns warrant scrumptiousness. Hier ist dein Berliner:
Spoiler:
(apologies to German OTTers if I mangled the language)
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

svenman

Postby svenman » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:40 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:(apologies to German OTTers if I mangled the language)

Not at all, actually. (And neither did JFK in his famous Berlin speech, btw, even if some claim he did.)

Meanwhile in the OTC, six yips ago this newpix, Cue was workUNG on the castle:
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

BlitzGirl

Newpix Out of Context

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:15 am UTC

Or he was unboxing a massive flatscreen TV.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

I MADE YOU A RAFTCASTLE BUT I CORINNED IT

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:47 am UTC

Do you think they have electronics at the affordable Swedish furniture store nearby? :) Or maybe he stole a TV from the hill people.

I missed the final voting. I would have definitely voted for the hedgemolpy,

BlitzGirl wrote:Hope the *ndish thoughts *nd, June Bug - it's too easy to get swamped by those, someTimes.

Thank you. I am feeling less *ndish, but it does get a little swampy at times.

balthasar_s wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:I sometimes get overwhelmed by the amount of *ndishness in the world, I try to remember that there are a lot of molpish people doing molpish things in the world, and hope that they win win out over the *ndishness at least sometimes.
this reminds me of these words from the song "dziwny jest ten świat" (strange is this world):
but people of good will
there is more of them
and I strongly believe
that this world will never die thanks to them

That's winggish. Thank you (and FTFY).
Good luck with the botcastle of reduncancy. I wish I could help, but I have no words of wisdom. Although, I had to smile today at work when my boss told me, "You're good with <computer(y) stuff.> :D (Yes, the "y" and the brackets I added.) I guess it's all relative. Compared to her, I am good with <computery stuff.> She is by her own admission not a big fan of anything <computery>. But that still does not let me help balthawhiz with his botcastle.

Hi, Febrion!

moody7277, that is an awesomeful manip. I guess we shouldn't be surprised that the starry nip one. It is so seaish, and the pricklymolp so riverish. Hardly a fair fight.

An OTTish emojidome would be awesomeful! And BlitzGirl, I have thanked you so many times (both in the OTT and in my head) for those smiley repositories. Thank you for having the foresight and the patience to create those. They are so handy!

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Sustainabilizer

Postby Sustainabilizer » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:28 am UTC

balthasar_s wrote:Currently, I'm stuck with this.
The computer is a Cubieboard2.
I wanted to install Debian on it, […]
I lost some time with no good result.

Have you tried logarithms to clone the hard disk of the original botcastle?

Other ideas:
  • Watch the serial line while booting. It might show you some error messages which aren't displayed on the screen. As an alternative, do a web search for how to direct all error messages to the screen.
  • What boot loader are you using? If it's Das U-Boot, check the device tree⁴.
Good luck!

: neat
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Help for addams completed successfully. Thanks!

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:28 pm UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:

edo

Re: 1190: "Time" Molpydome?

Postby edo » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:23 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:In case this all vanishes like mustard in the wind, here's a RELATED action shot, featuring OTCish molpies:

Pricklymolp emerged victorious in that match, 12565 votes to 9539 for the squirpy. Two rounds on, the pricklymolp has just defeated the nonraptor cat by a cool 10,000 votes to make it into the Sweet Sixteen round of the emojidome.

Spoiler:

MolpyBout.png

Keywords: BGUM pricklymolp hedgehog squirpy squirrel emoji battle match versus bout cat extremely voting emojidome othercomic
ExtremelyRedundakitty.png

I know there are some Javascript programmers in the OTT. Should we (and by "we" I mean "they") make a "Molpydome"?
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Randomly Revisited - np2554

Postby mscha » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:00 pm UTC

FOSTERONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by ergman.)

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:PUSH BUTAN, RECEIVE BOTMOBILE

-- posted by randompixbot

SilentTimer

Re: 1190: Time for Physics – phys-0082

Postby SilentTimer » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:36 pm UTC

SACRIFICONG IS SO LAST NOPIX. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

-- posted by SilentBot Image

BlitzGirl

Re: 1190: "Time" Molpydome?

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:54 am UTC

edo wrote:I know there are some Javascript programmers in the OTT. Should we (and by "we" I mean "they") make a "Molpydome"?

For the OTTish version I've been mulling, I was thinking about using an Outside polling system to collect votes. Javascript (now that we've all noticed it) is very treeish, but it might be simpler to just use an existing straw poll website.

I love the term "molpydome," by the way.

NewtONG wrote:Before my time, this job had to be done manually.
That's extremely difficult.
In fact in most cases it's even impossible.

You should talk to the guy with the rocks!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SilentTimer

Re: 1190: Infinite "Time"?

Postby SilentTimer » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:35 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
NewtONG wrote:Before my time, this job had to be done manually.
That's extremely difficult.
In fact in most cases it's even impossible.

You should talk to the guy with the rocks!

Maybe Sustainabilizer is the guy with the rocks?
Image Did you like 1190: Time?
Then you will like its sequel: t1i. [Discussion] [Making Of]
ucim wrote:I consider it to be canon.

503? Images don't work? Other mustard? Visit the ЯOЯЯIM!

Randalspeed to Rakhal, thunk, and all Blitzers!

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:10 am UTC

I tend to wonder if GLR checks in on this thread occasionally, or if he's even tangentially aware of the additional Timelines that have been inspired by his original masterpiece. If he had an official forum account that could be verified as definitely him, wouldn't it be amazing if he dropped in to say hi?
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:59 pm UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:Have you tried logarithms?
Oh, yeah, totally, I even found this cool slide-rule and...
logarithms to clone the hard disk of the original botcastle?
Oh.
That's not what I want to do.
  • On the botcastle the OS is installed on the SD card, not on the disk (of course I could clone the SD card as well)
  • The original botcastle is a Cubieboard. The new one is a Cubieboard2. It's the same board but with a different processor. A20 instead of A10. There are separate installer images for both computers.
  • On the original botcastle I used not the main official Debian distribution but Cubian which is a custom port.
    From what I know it used a custom kernel (with support for some special hardware features which I don't need anyway) and some custom configuration.
    Other than that it uses the official main Debian repositories for all software.
    I installed it by recording an already available partition image on the SD card and reconfigured it later.
    Cubian was abandoned in 2014, apparently.
    It is based on Debian 7 "Wheezy" which recently changed from being the oldoldstable to not supported at all.
    There will be no security updates for it in the repositories any more.
    So it's a better idea to update the botcastle1 too.
    And to use the main distribution this time. (which is also supporting this hardware)
    There is a much smaller risk of it being abandoned one day.

Watch the serial line while booting. It might show you some error messages which aren't displayed on the screen. As an alternative, do a web search for how to direct all error messages to the screen.
I do.
Actually, the screen and keyboard are optional, the serial is my main interface.
They show exactly the same thing.
Only after the installer starts they can show different things.
But it gets stuck just before that.

What boot loader are you using? If it's Das U-Boot, check the device tree⁴.
It is.
The installer image of the SD card already has the U-boot included and configured.

From the text

Code: Select all

U-Boot SPL 2016.11+dfsg1-4 (Mar 27 2017 - 18:39:51)
DRAM: 1024 MiB
CPU: 912000000Hz, AXI/AHB/APB: 3/2/2
Trying to boot from MMC1

U-Boot 2016.11+dfsg1-4 (Mar 27 2017 - 18:39:51 +0000) Allwinner Technology

CPU:   Allwinner A20 (SUN7I)
Model: Cubietech Cubieboard2
I2C:   ready
DRAM:  1 GiB
MMC:   SUNXI SD/MMC: 0
*** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment

HDMI connected: Setting up a 1024x600 dvi console (overscan 0x0)
In:    serial
Out:   vga
Err:   vga
SCSI:  Target spinup took 0 ms.
AHCI 0001.0100 32 slots 1 ports 3 Gbps 0x1 impl SATA mode
flags: ncq stag pm led clo only pmp pio slum part ccc apst
Net:   eth0: ethernet@01c50000
starting USB...
USB0:   USB EHCI 1.00
USB1:   USB OHCI 1.0
USB2:   USB EHCI 1.00
USB3:   USB OHCI 1.0
scanning bus 0 for devices... 1 USB Device(s) found
scanning bus 2 for devices... 1 USB Device(s) found
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
switch to partitions #0, OK
mmc0 is current device
Scanning mmc 0:1...
Found U-Boot script /boot.scr
reading /boot.scr
1575 bytes read in 30 ms (50.8 KiB/s)
## Executing script at 43100000
Mainline u-boot / new-style environment detected.
reading vmlinuz
3716200 bytes read in 272 ms (13 MiB/s)
reading dtbs/sun7i-a20-cubieboard2.dtb
34277 bytes read in 141 ms (237.3 KiB/s)
reading initrd.gz
21360541 bytes read in 1435 ms (14.2 MiB/s)
Booting the Debian installer...

## Flattened Device Tree blob at 43000000
   Booting using the fdt blob at 0x43000000
   Loading Ramdisk to 48ba1000, end 49ffff9d ... OK
   Loading Device Tree to 48b95000, end 48ba05e4 ... OK

Starting kernel ...

The fact that the text "Starting kernel ..." appeared at all means that the boot.scr was executed correctly and reached the last command (bootz)
Only something wrong happened while executing the last command.
Which could mean that:
  • something is wrong with the initrd.gz ramdisk image
  • something is wrong with the vmlinuz kernel
  • something is wrong with the sun7i-a20-cubieboard2.dtb device tree
  • something is wrong with the memory addresses used
  • something else

I thing I will try to look for an answer on the cubie forums (https://www.cubieforums.com) - there are people who actually use these computers so there is some hope.
Actually, after a few seconds of looking there I found something potentially helpful: http://linux-sunxi.org/index.php?title=Mainline_Debian_HowTo&oldid=13144
I will try it out soon.
BSTA

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:50 pm UTC

Gingercat wrote:I tend to wonder if GLR checks in on this thread occasionally, or if he's even tangentially aware of the additional Timelines that have been inspired by his original masterpiece. If he had an official forum account that could be verified as definitely him,

http://forums.xkcd.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=3
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:27 pm UTC

So, the user accounts start with 2.
There is no 1 or 0.
BSTA

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:59 pm UTC

Ah. Wonder if there's a way to convince him to come say hi... :) Perhaps someone with better wordsmithing skills than myself would be interested in making the attempt?
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:31 pm UTC

Greetings from NP237

--the (mod-induced) Madness has ended, but some of the effects linger

--the first riddle of the OTC has appeared about the river being farther away

--BlitzGirl's quest begins, Kieryn displays his data, mscha fires up his difference engine

--footnote labyrinths make their appearance in the OTT a month before the related* OtherComic

--Cueball has started on the recursive castle

*it's all related

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”