1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Opiboble » Wed May 22, 2013 10:37 pm UTC

edfel wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
airdrik wrote:We can look for quote distances between people. e.g. BlitzGirl quoted BuffyGirl so the BlitzGirl - BuffyGirl quote distance is 1, BuffyGirl quoted Helper but BlitzGirl did not quote Helper so the BlitzGirl - Helper distance is 2, etc.
I'm sure Kieryn could put that into his analytics engine without too much trouble.

Yes, but it is awfully easy to get a low BlitzGirl number without adding any useful content. If this were done after the end of time as an archaeological project it might have value, but not likely now.

Hmm.. the "distance" doesn't have to be symmetric. People at distance 1 would be the ones quoted by blitzgirl, so the easy part is for anyone to give a low blitzgirl number, not to receive one...

I do like this idea, that would be a good data set to see : )

ChronosDragon wrote: The main problem with the blitzgirl number idea is that quotes are easily falsified. This forum has no persistence of quotes with actual posts - all that happens is phpbb sets up the quote structure for you, you could easily fabricate one yourself. That's also the flaw with any other system that tries to determine quote relationships - a giant graph is cool because the inconsistencies disappear, but for something like Kieryn's quote-analysis pages, I'm fairly sure his algorithm can't detect when quotes have been altered (for space, spoilerage, or FTFY).

But that is the point of having it as how far are you from being directly quoted by Blitzgirl. BlitzG quotes BuffyG who then quotes Helper, so Helper has a BG number of 2. And honestly I would be trying to not get quoted by BG because having a higher BG number would be hold more prestige.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed May 22, 2013 10:39 pm UTC

edfel wrote:Hmm.. the "distance" doesn't have to be symmetric. People at distance 1 would be the ones quoted by blitzgirl, so the easy part is for anyone to give a low blitzgirl number, not to receive one...

Yes, of course. Thanks. I missed that. If Charley has an Erdös number of 4 then Erdös has a Charley number of 4. That led me astray.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

edfel

Postby edfel » Wed May 22, 2013 10:44 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:<snip><except>I do like this idea, that would be a good data set to see : )</except></snip>

In fact, the graph has already been drawn some time ago (I remember this huge fig which never loaded on my poor machine), all we need to do is run a distance algorithm on the updated data...

edit: coma time for me here... nice nps everyone :)
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Wed May 22, 2013 10:47 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:But that is the point of having it as how far are you from being directly quoted by Blitzgirl. BlitzG quotes BuffyG who then quotes Helper, so Helper has a BG number of 2. And honestly I would be trying to not get quoted by BG because having a higher BG number would be hold more prestige.

Huh? Shirley you can't be serious. A lower BG number would hold more prestige. Highest prestige of all would be to be Blitzgirl, with the unique Blitzgirl Number of zero.
Last edited by Rule110 on Wed May 22, 2013 10:48 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

astrocub

Postby astrocub » Wed May 22, 2013 10:47 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
Spoiler:
Dracomax wrote:
Valarya wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:YESCUEBONG
That makes complete sense.

Hmm... maybe it's a suntree?

It... it does?! Cueball, sometimes you just shouldn't open your mouth at all, because when you do, we see glazed babies.

And now I've done a spit take...

We've missed an important corollary here - the little trees probably don't know what they are doing.

logical_fallacy.png

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed May 22, 2013 10:48 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:
Opiboble wrote:But that is the point of having it as how far are you from being directly quoted by Blitzgirl. BlitzG quotes BuffyG who then quotes Helper, so Helper has a BG number of 2. And honestly I would be trying to not get quoted by BG because having a higher BG number would be hold more prestige.

Huh? Shirley you can't be serious. A lower BG number would hold more prestige. Highest prestige of all would be to be Blitzgirl, with the unique Blitzgirl number of zero.

he's always serious. and don't call him Shirley.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Wed May 22, 2013 10:53 pm UTC

edfel wrote:
azule wrote:Another avatar for someone who didn't.... I mean, I kept looking at your avatar, edfel, and couldn't help but see it as an Afro. So, I Afrocized it.
edfel.jpg

lol! Knowing the original character (google image "armand de maupertuis"), it seems... er ... unlikely to ever see him with this kind of hair.
But well... why not ^^ :)

What *is* that behind his head though???

AND - I assert my assertion on NP 688 regarding whether or not they are baobab trees is worth noting! (feeling a little overlooked).

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Wed May 22, 2013 10:56 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Rule110 wrote:

Huh? Shirley you can't be serious. A lower BG number would hold more prestige. Highest prestige of all would be to be Blitzgirl, with the unique Blitzgirl number of zero.

Not so sure on the serious part... honestly I don't even know sometimes :oops: And yeah don't call me Shirley, we are not in the dungeon.

ETA: I think I was a little serious here... not 100% sure though.
Last edited by Opiboble on Wed May 22, 2013 10:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed May 22, 2013 10:57 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:AND - I assert my assertion on NP 688 regarding whether or not they are baobab trees is worth noting! (feeling a little overlooked).

There's absolutely no doubt that these are Baobab trees, specifically Grandidier's baobab, native only to Madagascar. No other tree (including other types of Baobab) look like this.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

rmcurtis

Postby rmcurtis » Wed May 22, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

Moving ONG to more trees?

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed May 22, 2013 11:08 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Rule110 wrote:

Not so sure on the serious part... honestly I don't even know sometimes :oops: And yeah don't call me Shirley, we are not in the dungeon.

ETA: I think I was a little serious here... not 100% sure though.

psst...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A5t5_O8hdA
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed May 22, 2013 11:11 pm UTC

A bit lot off-topic, but I've seen Zero Hour! once on TV. That was a really weird experience, knowing Airplane! so well...

Edit to slightly ontopicalize: looks like I picked the wrong hectahexecontioctonewpix to quit sniffing Molpy droppings...
Edit2: obligatory YouTube link.
Edit3: warning: the above YouTube link is a proper Spoiler for both movies!
Last edited by mscha on Wed May 22, 2013 11:25 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed May 22, 2013 11:19 pm UTC

Looks like I got here just before a movement-of-background :D
StratPlayer wrote:Consider this obvious chain of relatedness:

1. The GLR has populated the OTC with trees that appear to be baobabs.

2. Baobab is also the name of a musical group out of Dunham, NC consisting primarily of an artist named Phil Torres, who is also a writer.

3. [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivia_Dunham]Olivia Dunham is awesome. That is all.
charlie_grumbles wrote:Ha. Nailed it:
Moving along nicely.

The Dream is collapsing!
azule wrote:Another avatar for someone who didn't.... I mean, I kept looking at your avatar, edfel, and couldn't help but see it as an Afro. So, I Afrocized it.
edfel.jpg

That's no moon!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Wed May 22, 2013 11:33 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:...Yes, but what's the Erdős-Bacon number?

You might think that I would have figured out my Erdős number before now, but I had not. Maybe I still haven't figured it out, but at least I've bounded it at no more than 6. (The link I discovered is Journal of Fusion Energy 10.2 (1991):157-72, which gets me to Bethe in 3.)

It occurred to me that this thread could be considered both an intellectual and an artistic exercise in which we are all co-authors/co-performers. We are also the peer reviewers and the audience. :-)

So I declare (for purposes of our own fun and games) that anyone I have quoted has an Erdős number of no more than 7, since you co-authored my post. (I'm guessing that I don't have the lowest Erdős number here, so someone else may be able to provide a lower number.) Anyone?

Who has a Bacon number that you might be willing to share?

Does anyone have their own Erdős-Bacon number? (One that would be recognized outside the forum, of course. I'm hoping many of us will have an Erdős-Bacon number within the forum.)
Last edited by mathrec on Wed May 22, 2013 11:46 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed May 22, 2013 11:34 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:The Dream is collapsing!

Dammit, I wanted to make that reference but couldn't figure out how! Well, I kinda did, with the sideways tree thing on my ketchup, but it's far more subtle...

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed May 22, 2013 11:34 pm UTC

@Earthling on Mars - Awesome visuals.

astrocub wrote:xkcdsw string. Should we include our pictures there for them

That would be great, but are they relevant enough for Outsiders? In other words, do they contain too strongly our Inside culture that others would not be able to penetrate? I guess we could do it anyways. I've read a bunch of their "cheese burning" ones, so why not our "semencancercoffeebabyraindroptoner" ones? :)

Tender Knife Carving:
Spoiler:
SBN wrote:Apologies, I'm very slow at enhancing, and not very skilled, but I've found something.

Very sweet. <3

Manipulated Photomanipulation Program Message:
Spoiler:
ChronosDragon wrote:Oh...right...I'm supposed to be working on that... *GIMPs along in the vague direction of Photoshop*

FTFY

View of Above:
Spoiler:
Prosthetic_Lips wrote:Thanks for that, azule. These kinds of panoramas really make me appreciate how much ground Randall is covering!

Here's what bugs me about this -- the trees are CLEARLY visible above the ground. Wouldn't they have been able to see them even when standing very far away? Why the "aha" moment when the come over the rise?

EDIT'ed to add: My 23 (rd? th?) post! Yay!.
You're welcome, and thanks to the others that were doing this before me. (I enjoy it, sorry for stepping on anyone's toes.)

I'm really starting to think the reason they didn't see it is that there is other trees in the way and there are turns being made at the edges of frames (where they enter other 2D slices).

Congrats on your geek milestone. :D

MobTeeseboose Mentions:
Spoiler:
PhoenixRising wrote:
Exodies wrote:Mobteeseboose - is there nothing you would like to add?

I've wondered before but only now will I actually say anything - have we set a new record for most-celebrated 0-post lurker on a forum?

I don't know who else there is (0-post lurkers), but Time is the only thread to acknowledge xem. (Except for some random output in the "I'm so random" ICT.)

mathrec wrote:
Spoiler:
ggh wrote:(Please imagine, if you will, that the second half is to the right of the first half.)

drent-fassee, drongd-vassi
markings on baobab trees
blair-witchy-spookiness
brings on the dread.

Stressed over fading sand
borne brisk amoeba angst
Black-whitey poisons Sir
(sigh) *nerd ran to bed*

Very nice. I've been playing with these for the last 20 or so newpix. That is quite a feat to merge the anagram challenge with the double-dactyl. (If anyone doesn't have their jaw on the floor, just try to write two double dactyl lines that have meaning relevant to the forum and are anagrams of each other!)

BRAVO, sir! I'll respond in kind, praising your ability to merge the forms:
*agog* Two? Hot! / A woot to ggh!

Oh, didn't get it until your comment. Bravo, indeed! Now we must merge all forms into One True Poem: Double-Dactyl + Meaningful Anagram + Hidden Message + Rot(N+1)13 + Haiku. (The haiku should be possible to include if one goes with having the haiku all on a single (or two) lines.)

EDIT: Post 404. This post cannot be found. ....Damnit, that means no one will read it. :cry:
Last edited by azule on Wed May 22, 2013 11:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed May 22, 2013 11:39 pm UTC

partial-ketchup.jpg
partial-ketchup.jpg (6.19 KiB) Viewed 15151 times
(partial ketchup, get it? Since I'm still 4 pages behind. Even so, this post is seaish.

AluisioASG, loved your latest installment. And Ergman, your Kool-Aid guy made me laugh out loud. Good thing I was at home and not at work. Though I did scare the cat.

And I guess we'll never know if any of Rule110's ideas for the markings on the tree were right.

Eternal Density wrote:
Spoiler:
ChronosDragon wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Theory: the so-called baobab trees are in fact something quite different. Also, Megan and Cueball really have purple skin.

Yeah, they're just hiding their tails
I wrote purple instead of blue for a reason!
[edit] Wow, markongs ong the tronk!

I don't get it. Purple skin? Are they Barney?

Goggalor wrote:
Spoiler:
pelrigg wrote:<lots'o'snips>
I'm sure that all of us would like to hear from any of the First-Timers who helped found this wonderful insanity. Are you still tracking the One True Comic? Are you still reading the One True Thread? What do you think of how it's grown and changed?
Anyone else want to hear from these folks??????????????

I posted on the first page (within the first hour or so of the OTC) of the thread and I've always been waiting for it. During the first few hours I had a tab open all the time and I was constantly refreshing, because I wasn't entirely positive when the frame would change (this was before it auto-updated) and grabbing every new frame, because I wasn't sure what would happen. After I stayed up far too late the first night, I continued to watch it like a hawk, but learned that I still required sleep. I then stayed quiet on the OTT because of Outside duties, but I always found myself thinking about the comic and what was happening. I was lurking the thread constantly, but after a while I became more active in the thread. This lasted a little while, but then I once again returned to my default, lurking state. This repeated a couple time, but eventually I simply got behind and began skimming through newpages (I was never brave enough to blitz). As of now I check on the thread every couple of days, but I continue to check the Book of Aubron at least a couple times a day.

One thing hasn't changed through this whole experience; I am still utterly fascinated by this whole thing. I love everything about it's strange and constantly-evolving being. I loved all the wild speculation (even if it got quite morbid) and serious javascript analysis of the early days, the rise of the Church (and all it's ensuing schisms), the graphs, the charts, the hats, the terrible puns, Blitzgirl (and her wonderful tribute comic), and everyone else. I don't think any other work of art (or whatever else you want to call it) has brought out this kind of emotion from me. I've felt joy and wonder and awe. I've felt despair and fear when the comic was seemingly coming to an end. I don't know if I'm a big, ole weirdo for feeling like this, but whatever.

I kind of got carried away. I just think this whole comic and thread are really, really cool.

Goggalor, this was a wonderful 100th post. I feel the same way. Oh, and FTFY. (your first sentence) And I would love to hear from posters from the early days of time.

azule wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:ucim and azule, wonderful stories, thank you!!
My BFF read my story, woot! ;)

heehee, yep, read it and loved it. As if I would pass up any of your prose! :)

Exodies wrote:Blind posts are great, they spread events out in time, so if you are struck by lazinessforced by circumstances beyond your control to do a skip, then with the blind post spread you will get a summary view of a variety of events rather than a single topic on a page.

That's one reason why I blindpost sometimes, to avoid an excessively long ketchup post. Hm, now that I read it again, I'm not sure if that's what you meant. I wonder if this happens to anyone besides me when they blindpost--I'll be reading along and start reading a post and think, "Hey, that sounds like what I said!" only to realize it was my post. It's probably just me. I loved those tree trunks you posted, btw, though it was your comments that really made them funny.

Arky wrote:http://ericrossacademic.wordpress.com/2012/01/25/historic-baobab-trees-of-senegal/
Perhaps Cuegan are in Senegal? Descendants of shipwrecked mariners in a deserted area- explaining why they have a grasp of building and ropes yet appear to completely lack for formal education, and don't understanding the markings on the baobab tree....

I thought this quote from that article was interesting: "The use of baobab trunks to support arcane inscriptions is common throughout Senegambia. Such trees are known generically in Wolof as guy mbind (baobab of writing)..." I think that quote, and the relevance to XonqNopp's username, are excellent evidence for Senegal.

StratPlayer wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:Stratplayer, I'm trying not to look at what you posted in case it's a solution to the puzzle. Can you please spoiler it? Or if it's not a serious solution, maybe mark it as such. Thanks!

Whoops! Sorry -- I've added the attached solution inline and spoilered it now. :D

Thank you!

mscha wrote:
Flotter wrote:The One True Topic has just passed 800k page views btw, let's make it 1M :D

I could write a script for that. <snip>
(Won't, though. Not nice and rather pointless.)

Yeah, I'm sure we'll be able to get to 1M without the help.

Exodies wrote:
Prosthetic_Lips wrote:Here's what bugs me about this -- the trees are CLEARLY visible above the ground. Wouldn't they have been able to see them even when standing very far away? Why the "aha" moment when the come over the rise?

You're right, and also wrong. They obviously can't see them before Randall has drawn them. This is about Time, not Wheezy Squeezy Timey Wimey stuff.

I was going to answer Prosthetic_Lips by saying: Well, this has been said in various ways by others, but looking over the top of the hill, they would have seen the tops of the trees, but may not have grokked their (the trees) full magnificence till they crested the hill. But I think Exodies has the right answer.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed May 22, 2013 11:48 pm UTC

mathrec wrote:
So I declare (for purposes of our own fun and games) that anyone I have quoted has an Erdős number of no more than 7, since you co-authored my post. (I'm guessing that I don't have the lowest Erdős number here, so someone else may be able to provide a lower number.) Anyone?

I am, in fact, Erdős 4, but with my real world identity, not my alter-ego. I probably have a finite Bacon number having acted once on the stage with those I've lost track of but some of which may be moderately low.
-- Charlie Grumbles

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed May 22, 2013 11:52 pm UTC

edfel wrote:lol! Knowing the original character (google image "armand de maupertuis"), it seems... er ... unlikely to ever see him with this kind of hair.
*googled as told* Cool, the original image would have been nice to photomanipulate. :) And, Oh, it's a hat. I see....

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Wed May 22, 2013 11:53 pm UTC

mathrec wrote:...So I declare (for purposes of our own fun and games) that anyone I have quoted has an Erdős number of no more than 7, since you co-authored my post. (I'm guessing that I don't have the lowest Erdős number here, so someone else may be able to provide a lower number.) Anyone?

Does anyone have their own Erdős-Bacon number? (One that would be recognized outside the forum, of course. I'm hoping many of us will have an Erdős-Bacon number within the forum.)

Sheesh, I just realized that I could claim a Bacon number of 3. I appeared as an extra in a movie with Randy Wayne. I never would have made that last post if I realized that I had an Erdős-Bacon number. :oops:
The end is always near.

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed May 22, 2013 11:58 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
Arky wrote:http://ericrossacademic.wordpress.com/2012/01/25/historic-baobab-trees-of-senegal/
Perhaps Cuegan are in Senegal? Descendants of shipwrecked mariners in a deserted area- explaining why they have a grasp of building and ropes yet appear to completely lack for formal education, and don't understanding the markings on the baobab tree....

I thought this quote from that article was interesting: "The use of baobab trunks to support arcane inscriptions is common throughout Senegambia. Such trees are known generically in Wolof as guy mbind (baobab of writing)..." I think that quote, and the relevance to XonqNopp's username, are excellent evidence for Senegal.

Except that they're the wrong kind of Baobab tree. The OTC ones are definitely Grandidier's, which are only native to Madagascar.
The African Baobab looks very different.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Thu May 23, 2013 12:02 am UTC

BAOBUGONG

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu May 23, 2013 12:05 am UTC

Beesnake detected. Two of them! Mating season.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 23, 2013 12:06 am UTC

That's a lot of Baobab. And a pair of mating Molpyflies! (Which azule ninja'd. And spamjam ninjong'd, actually.)
Last edited by mscha on Thu May 23, 2013 12:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu May 23, 2013 12:06 am UTC

Re: Erdős numbers.
I don't think the wider world would accept the premise that "publishing" here counts for the purpose. Sorry. By that calculation, so would emails, likely. I've corresponded with a person Erdős 1, but wouldn't think to call myself a 2. Lowering your Erdős number takes work.
Oddly, however, for someone at 4 it can be someone else's work, not my own. If one of the 3's that I connect with writes with one of the remaining 1's, then he/she becomes a 2 and I become a 3 with no work of my own. But that is as low as I can go unless I want to work.

Though if BlitzGirl wants to "blind review" the post and we publish in Algorithmica or something (even starting our own journal) ...

Dream on.

Edit: But Erdős-Bacon 10 is pretty impressive. Congratulations. I'll guess your Erdős is probably a bit lower, or will become lower if others in your circle still publish.
-- Charlie Grumbles

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Thu May 23, 2013 12:10 am UTC

mscha wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:

Except that they're the wrong kind of Baobab tree. The OTC ones are definitely Grandidier's, which are only native to Madagascar.
The African Baobab looks very different.

That doesn't mean that GLR hasn't blended very real images from different parts of the world to make this world. For example, I'm pretty sure that castles with crenelated parapets are not from either Madagascar or Senegal.

That said, I'm mostly with you. The crenelated parapets and the possible borrowing of baobab inscriptions from Sengambian culture are little details from general culture. Those trees are Adansonia grandidieri, and as buffygirl and others have shown, it is not a passing resemblance. I do not believe that Randall glanced at the wikipedia article on baobabs and drew something sort of like that. He knew what he was drawing and knew it was from Madagascar, and he expected us to know that.

So, the land of Time surely isn't a specific place on the Earth, but there's a good chance that the geography is directly modeled on a specific place. If it is, then that place is Madagascar.

(Just asking to be wrong, of course. Do I get (humble) pie if I'm wrong and cake if I'm right?)
The end is always near.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu May 23, 2013 12:14 am UTC

mathrec wrote:That said, I'm mostly with you. The crenelated parapets and the possible borrowing of baobab inscriptions from Sengambian culture are little details from general culture. Those trees are Adansonia grandidieri, and as buffygirl and others have shown, it is not a passing resemblance. I do not believe that Randall glanced at the wikipedia article on baobabs and drew something sort of like that. He knew what he was drawing and knew it was from Madagascar, and he expected us to know that.

So, the land of Time surely isn't a specific place on the Earth, but there's a good chance that the geography is directly modeled on a specific place. If it is, then that place is Madagascar.

(Just asking to be wrong, of course. Do I get pie if I'm wrong and cake if I'm right?)

To reiterate what others have said: It's either Madagascar, a fictional place, or an inexact/tesseracted simulation/dream world. I'm leaning towards the last one, but maybe that's my predilection for unexpected sci-fi scenarios.

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Thu May 23, 2013 12:21 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Re: Erdős numbers.
I don't think the wider world would accept the premise that "publishing" here counts for the purpose. Sorry. By that calculation, so would emails, likely. I've corresponded with a person Erdős 1, but wouldn't think to call myself a 2...

LOL. Clearly the wider world wouldn't recognize our works as film or as peer-reviewed research. This would be more like "I hung out at a bar in Rio with Feynman."

I was just playfully noting that we have an intellectual and artistic community that includes people with real-world credentials in both areas.
The end is always near.

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Thu May 23, 2013 12:21 am UTC

mathrec wrote:
I don't think the wider world would accept the premise that "publishing" here counts for the purpose. Sorry. By that calculation, so would emails, likely. I've corresponded with a person Erdős 1, but wouldn't think to call myself a 2...

LOL. Clearly the wider world wouldn't recognize our works as film or as peer-reviewed research. This would be more like "I once hung out at a bar in Rio with Feynman."

I was just playfully noting that we have an intellectual and artistic community that includes people with real-world credentials in both areas.
The end is always near.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu May 23, 2013 12:29 am UTC

mathrec wrote:I was just playfully noting that we have an intellectual and artistic community that includes people with real-world credentials in both areas.

Understood. But credentials or not, there is a tremendous amount of creativity here on so many levels and so many dimensions. Great place for headhunters to troll for talent (technical, artistic, ...).

Still in utter awe of GLR, though.
-- Charlie Grumbles

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 23, 2013 12:29 am UTC

If this isn't proof that they're on Madagascar, I don't know what is...
Spoiler:
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Thu May 23, 2013 12:30 am UTC

My own last word on double dactyls:
Spoiler:
taixzo wrote:
mscha wrote:
xpatiate wrote:
ucim wrote:Clickty clikety;
HAL (not the red one) com-
manded the spoiler to
hide and restore,

characteristically
monomaniacal,
stopping at last when his
dactyl was sore.
Consecutive double-dactyls! I tips me hat. I've been wondering if it would be possible to construct a double-dactyl (verse) that consists of three consecutive double-dactyls (words) (plus obviously an extra four syllables on the end) - I have plenty of adjective/noun combinations, but adjective/adjective/noun seems like cheating and I have not yet found a hexasyllabic verb...
Well, “hexasyllabicize” would be one. (An autological one, even.)
Higgldypiggldy
jjjdavidson
double-dactylically
started a trend

OTT-followers
indefatigably
hexasyllabicise
Time 'til its end.

That's terrific, just terrific. But I had to see if I could do one that was just eight words: six double dactyls and two four-syllable words. This is pretty strained (and uncomfortably self-referential), but I don't think I'll ever try to top it.

Fractyly-cractyly,
jjjdavidson
Polysyllabifies
    OTT-text,
Hexadidactylly
Omniengendering
TemporothreadWaiters
    Hexaperplexed.

Hexalevels of zoom:
Earthling on Mars wrote:A visual of the different zoom levels we have seen Megball at:
Spoiler:
The first two are from the pre-expansion era, the third from after the expansion, the fourth from recently when they saw the baobab trees, and the last two from when they were walking along the river where it split.

If their smallest selves met up with their largest selves:
Of course, the biggest change was this:
Spoiler:

Aawww, little Cueball is so cute! (and so doomed!)

Misinterpreting edfel's avatar:
Spoiler:
edfel wrote:

lol! Knowing the original character (google image "armand de maupertuis"), it seems... er ... unlikely to ever see him with this kind of hair.

Actually, that avatar always made me think of a different Outside comic character:Image(I guess I was pretty far off.)

Glares, intentional versus un-:
Spoiler:
Before allowing the topic of 'glare' to descend into utter silliness, StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
thirds wrote:WeirdONGImage

I hear ya, Megan -- I've wondered that same thing many times over during the long-draw of the OTC...

*Glares with intent*

Well, I meant in a non-heretical, trusting, and faithful-follower of the OTC kind of way, of course...

And as an aside: can one glare unintentionally?

Larry Niven once wrote a story called "Intent to Deceive" that turned on the question of whether a glare was intentional. A story-within-the-story centered about robot waiters that were malfunctioning. "Intent"─Glare─Robots─Waiters─Malfunctioning (i.e., heretical)

Man, it really is ALL related.

On the subject of Time, and in the spirit of a recent blag post°:
Spoiler:
We're approaching the Outside centennial of Igor Stravinsky's landmark ballet The Rite of Spring, which premiered May 29, 1913. The first album by the Beatles, Please Please Me (March 22, 1963), was released closer in time to The Rite of Spring's premier than to today.
°No more often than Randall updates his blag, anything within the last yip is recent.

P.S. Oh, and holy smoke those are big trees!
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Thu May 23, 2013 12:33 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu May 23, 2013 12:32 am UTC

If someone in the movie industry signs a copy of their book for you, and asks your name so they can personalise it, does that count as a collaborative work?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu May 23, 2013 12:34 am UTC

Uh....you do know what proof is, mscha, right???

:P

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu May 23, 2013 12:35 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:If someone in the movie industry signs a copy of their book for you, and asks your name so they can personalise it, does that count as a collaborative work?

Hmmm. Only if you get paid. :cry:
-- Charlie Grumbles

htom

Postby htom » Thu May 23, 2013 12:38 am UTC

mathrec wrote:
mathrec wrote:

LOL. Clearly the wider world wouldn't recognize our works as film or as peer-reviewed research. This would be more like "I once hung out at a bar in Rio with Feynman."

Well, I had a boss with an Erdős number of 4, and I have an uncle with a Bacon number of 3, so I have an Erdős-Bacon number of ... NaN. I've heard of people computing "social whatever numbers", which would give me a social Erdős-Bacon number of 9.

Eternal Density -- sorry, no. Although you could claim a social number of theirs + 1.

(Outside life is making it possible to keep up, but not to reply much.)
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Thu May 23, 2013 12:50 am UTC

I had never given my Erdős number a thought, not being a mathematician or working scientist and having very few scientific publications. But provoked by the topic coming up here, I made a few quick checks and...

...Holy cow, my number is 4! The same as Carl Sagan's and Noam Chomsky's, if present Wikipedia information is accurate.

The reason is, one of the publications I do have links me to Steven Strogatz who is a 3. (Many years ago, I was a data acquisition technologist for a lab studying circadian rhythms, and Strogatz, early in his career, was handling the mathematical modeling side of the project.) Unfortunately I have no finite Bacon number.

So, um, thanks mathrec, charlie et. al. (Al's Erdős number must be very impressive indeed) for bringing the topic up!
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu May 23, 2013 12:55 am UTC

Rule110 wrote:I had never given my Erdős number a thought, not being a mathematician or working scientist and having very few scientific publications. But provoked by the topic coming up here, I made a few quick checks and...

...Holy cow, my number is 4! The same as Carl Sagan's and Noam Chomsky's, if present Wikipedia information is accurate.

Ah. Self knowledge is a wonderful thing. But, in fact, you can say more. It is no higher than 4 and might be lower. You may have other connections, of course.
-- Charlie Grumbles

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu May 23, 2013 1:00 am UTC

Walking a L-ONG
edit: And since this post represents Life, The Universe, and Everything, I think I'll take a coma.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu May 23, 2013 1:02 am UTC

Ok, been reading through the suggestions.
Spoiler:
Opiboble wrote:
edfel wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
airdrik wrote:We can look for quote distances between people. e.g. BlitzGirl quoted BuffyGirl so the BlitzGirl - BuffyGirl quote distance is 1, BuffyGirl quoted Helper but BlitzGirl did not quote Helper so the BlitzGirl - Helper distance is 2, etc.
I'm sure Kieryn could put that into his analytics engine without too much trouble.

Yes, but it is awfully easy to get a low BlitzGirl number without adding any useful content. If this were done after the end of time as an archaeological project it might have value, but not likely now.

Hmm.. the "distance" doesn't have to be symmetric. People at distance 1 would be the ones quoted by blitzgirl, so the easy part is for anyone to give a low blitzgirl number, not to receive one...

I do like this idea, that would be a good data set to see : )

ChronosDragon wrote: The main problem with the blitzgirl number idea is that quotes are easily falsified. This forum has no persistence of quotes with actual posts - all that happens is phpbb sets up the quote structure for you, you could easily fabricate one yourself. That's also the flaw with any other system that tries to determine quote relationships - a giant graph is cool because the inconsistencies disappear, but for something like Kieryn's quote-analysis pages, I'm fairly sure his algorithm can't detect when quotes have been altered (for space, spoilerage, or FTFY).

But that is the point of having it as how far are you from being directly quoted by Blitzgirl. BlitzG quotes BuffyG who then quotes Helper, so Helper has a BG number of 2. And honestly I would be trying to not get quoted by BG because having a higher BG number would be hold more prestige.

Honestly my initial idea was indeed this concept of how far are you from being directly quoted by Blitzgirl. It's the most meaningful definition in the context of the OTT and the easiest for me to implement.

Addressing ChronosDragon's concerns -- yes it's not perfect, but I think my quote matching algorithm is pretty good. It uses a fuzzy logic comparison between the text in the quote and the original post to determine the likelyhood that the quote came from the post. Also it ensures the quote's username matches the OP. There are indeed some false positives and negatives, but the number being determined ought to be accurate for most cases. Improvements to the quote matching can be made over time. Also we can just know and accept that sometimes the number reported is inaccurate and hence use the number appropriately1

Okay... now I shall commence. ETA 1-2 newpix.

1take it lightly
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”