1189: "Voyager 1"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Klear

Re: 1189: "Voyager 1"

Postby Klear » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:05 pm UTC

Afrael wrote:Regarding the original question: The next scheduled end of the world is in 2020.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doomsday_p ... redictions

10100 / Various scientists / The heat death of the universe is a suggested ultimate fate of the universe, in which the universe has diminished to a state of no thermodynamic free energy and therefore can no longer sustain motion or life.

Awesome.

jasc15

Postby jasc15 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:18 pm UTC

Afrael wrote:Regarding the original question: The next scheduled end of the world is in 2020.

I have to wonder what it takes to get on a list like this? If today, I predicted some arbitrary date to be the end of the world, how would I get noticed? I can't understand how some folks can be taken "serious" enough to actually make a list like this. What is that threshold?

chaotic_illuminator

Postby chaotic_illuminator » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:23 pm UTC

I love Voyager.

I look forward to when it sees attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion and watches c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.

TimXCampbell

Postby TimXCampbell » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

LAN-f34r wrote:Someone care to explain... everything?

When a man and a lady love one another, they get together and produce smaller copies of themselves; these are called babies. You were one of these.

In this particular instance, you descended from other apes that have acquired language. This lets you interface with various collectives, including other apes, larger groupings of apes, groups of groups, and so on. Thus, you get to learn the stories you seek, such that you might know “everything” about reality. Some of these stories seem “true.”

Beyond the sketchy details of the story above, little is actually known for certain.

Some say we all live inside a computer, and at this particular moment it's kind of hard for you to argue that I don't.

Patrik3

Postby Patrik3 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:30 pm UTC

Eikou wrote:
Klear wrote:
Fire Brns wrote:But in all reality I will only care about either voyager being in the headlines if they returned to destroy us all.

This is a trekkie joke, one which Randall missed.

Don't forget Patrik3.

Ah... about that, I just mistook the 'Voyager 1' as a Star Trek ship. Is it just called simply 'Voyager'? How confusing.

MrT2

Postby MrT2 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:18 pm UTC

Patrik3 wrote:Ah... about that, I just mistook the 'Voyager 1' as a Star Trek ship. Is it just called simply 'Voyager'? How confusing.

Spoilers tag for a 34 year old film? ah well, here it is anyway...
Spoiler:
The V'G'R from ST:The Motion Picture is meant to be Voyager 6, which was a somewhat optimistic numbering...

DanD

Postby DanD » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:36 pm UTC

I caught it at Heaviside Layer, because I actually recognized that one as terrestrial, not systemic.

And part of the reason Voyager keeps leaving the solar system is that it keeps finding things further out that can be defined as the edge.

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:38 pm UTC

MrT2 wrote:
Spoiler:
The V'G'R from ST:The Motion Picture is meant to be Voyager 6, which was a somewhat optimistic numbering...

I thought it was:
Spoiler:
V'ger as in V[][][]GER
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:39 pm UTC

MrT2 - Well, there's also the eight-year-old series of the same name, where it is a ship just called Voyager, that he might be thinking of.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

addams

Postby addams » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:36 pm UTC

Eikou wrote:
Klear wrote:
Fire Brns wrote:But in all reality I will only care about either voyager being in the headlines if they returned to destroy us all.

This is a trekkie joke, one which Randall missed.

Don't forget Patrik3.

But I'm really glad for all the people who are confessing they weren't sure which things in the alt text were jokes. I had no idea any of them were fake until US Census Bureau Solar System statistical boundary entered the list. Until that item set off my brain's joking monitor, I was just absorbing the list as fact on the basis that I saw it on XKCD.

"trans-Neptunian panic zone" you say? I wonder how it got that name. Interesting...

Of course, The Source.

Long rambling?
Spoiler:
How do we know what we know?
For me it was years and years of reading.

Books are so yesterday.
Today we look it up on the Internet.

We could rename the Trans-Neptuian Panic Zone.
Where would you put it?

It could be that area where Pluto and Neptune do their little dance.
Then; When you feel Panic you and me and a few others can meet Out There.

What makes you Panic? Neptune and back in less than a minute.
The human mind is fast. Honey; That is faster than light?

Everyone will tell you there is nothing faster than light.
It is not true. But; Don't argue about it.

Those that want to know; They know.
Those that don't want to know turn mean, if you attempt to tell them.

Some need a little help with the details.
Me. I am not good at math. It seems to be a Math thing.

The rest of us are spectators?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:22 pm UTC

keithl wrote:If Voyager does not pass though the Solar System Border Checkpoint, it won't get its passport stamped, and may have trouble coming back at the end of its trip. I hope it knows a good immigration lawyer.

Or it could come back as V'GER, and take out a few battlecruisers (without batting an eye) along the way. The Border Patrol would not dare stop it at that point.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

J L

Postby J L » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:37 am UTC

So ... has it passed the Russell Hotel?

CtrlAltDel
The member formerly known as CtrolAltDel

Postby CtrlAltDel » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:02 am UTC

Eikou wrote:"trans-Neptunian panic zone" you say? I wonder how it got that name. Interesting...

All the zones have names like that in the Galaxy of Terror.

EugeneStyles

Postby EugeneStyles » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:22 am UTC

rainspeaker wrote:
FourTael wrote:Was that a reference to Cats in the alt-text?

Quite the reverse: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennelly%E ... side_layer

Thank you. I just learned something about the Earth's atmosphere. And Cats. And RF.
Last edited by EugeneStyles on Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:23 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

EugeneStyles

Postby EugeneStyles » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:23 am UTC

CtrlAltDel wrote:
Eikou wrote:"trans-Neptunian panic zone" you say? I wonder how it got that name. Interesting...

All the zones have names like that in the Galaxy of Terror.

Don't worry, that's just its name.

It's really more of a nebula.

Klear

Postby Klear » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:31 am UTC

jasc15 wrote:

I have to wonder what it takes to get on a list like this? If today, I predicted some arbitrary date to be the end of the world, how would I get noticed? I can't understand how some folks can be taken "serious" enough to actually make a list like this. What is that threshold?

You would need some followers and news coverage to get on that list...

Graham Finch

Postby Graham Finch » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:31 am UTC

I was totally confused when I first read this strip. I thought it was an obscure Star Trek reference.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:02 am UTC

DanD wrote:I caught it at Heaviside Layer, because I actually recognized that one as terrestrial, not systemic.

And part of the reason Voyager keeps leaving the solar system is that it keeps finding things further out that can be defined as the edge.

Oliver Heaviside seems to have been quite a guy.
I always thought that Heaviside Step Function H(x) should have a counterpart L(x)=H(-x) which should be known as the Lightside step function.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Oktalist

Postby Oktalist » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:51 pm UTC

NiteClerk wrote:I vote for : "At 03:14:08 UTC on 19 January 2038, 32-bit versions of the Unix time stamp will cease to work,..."

We need to come up with a flashy name for it, like Y2K.

Scientifically it should be 2 Gis (2 gibiseconds) but following the same format, maybe s2Gi?
philip1201 wrote:Not everything which maps countable infinities onto finite areas is a Lovecraft reference.

Davidy

Postby Davidy » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:58 pm UTC

Surely, we could add the surly bonds of earth to the list. At some distance from earth, the earth's gravity's influence has an effective affect of zero.
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

Davidy

Postby Davidy » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:02 pm UTC

LAN-f34r wrote:Someone care to explain... everything?

Forty-two.
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

project2051

Postby project2051 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:36 pm UTC

This topic reminds me of a short story I read a long time ago, (so my memory on it is a little fuzzy) basically it was that one of the Voyagers went though a black hole and was reproduced in 10 parallel universes. In nine of the universes the craft did something that pissed off a alien race that then destroyed Earth because of it. The tenth was a carbon eating silicon life form that accepted the "come visit and have you eaten" lines on the record as an invitation to come and presumably snack on humans.

Now that I think of it, it may have been the one of the Pioneers instead.

Oktalist

Postby Oktalist » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:46 pm UTC

project2051 wrote:The tenth was a carbon eating silicon life form

Why would a silicon life form want to eat carbon? :shock:
philip1201 wrote:Not everything which maps countable infinities onto finite areas is a Lovecraft reference.

project2051

Postby project2051 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:53 pm UTC

Oktalist wrote:
project2051 wrote:The tenth was a carbon eating silicon life form

Why would a silicon life form want to eat carbon? :shock:

I'm not sure, but like I said the details are quite fuzzy now, I just remember the basic outline, I probably got the makeup of the last ones wrong.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:22 pm UTC

dexeron wrote:I still get excited about these Voyager announcements. I understand why they're silly, but I still am kind of awe-struck that this tiny thing we built is out there, farther than anything else we've ever managed to launch, and is still talking to us, teaching us new stuff. We did that.

What I find amazing is that a machine built on a US Federal Government contract with 1970s technology is still functioning after forty-five years of 24/7/365 service with zero maintenance or refueling, and is expected to continue for up to a decade more.

TortoiseWrath

Postby TortoiseWrath » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:09 am UTC

What if Curiosity's tweets prior to touchdown had looked like this?

• So totally on Mars now
  • I am closer to the surface
  • I am on Mars now
  • I have entered the atmosphere
  • I am on Mars now
  • I have entered the gravity field
  • I am on Mars now
  • I have left Earth's gravity
  • I am on Mars now
  • I have left Earth's atmosphere

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:05 am UTC

Oktalist wrote:
NiteClerk wrote:I vote for : "At 03:14:08 UTC on 19 January 2038, 32-bit versions of the Unix time stamp will cease to work,..."

We need to come up with a flashy name for it, like Y2K.

Scientifically it should be 2 Gis (2 gibiseconds) but following the same format, maybe s2Gi?

Thank you: I had seen prefixes like Mi and Gi used, but had arrogantly assumed that someone was wrong on the Internet. Now I realise that someone was me.
But I don't think they go far enough. For example, 23 is quite close to 10 so there could be a binary version of the deca- prefix. Not sure what it would be though: decabi? deba? (The IEC rule would produce debi for both 23 and 2-3).
I also propose that 24, which is approximately 12, be known henceforth as a binary dozen.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Mirkwood

Postby Mirkwood » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:23 am UTC

ijuin wrote:What I find amazing is that a machine built on a US Federal Government contract with 1970s technology is still functioning after forty-five years of 24/7/365 service with zero maintenance or refueling, and is expected to continue for up to a decade more.

Well, they don't make 'em like they used to. It is always surprising when the government works efficiently, though. (The Library of Congress? Finished on time and under budget.)

Wnderer

Postby Wnderer » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:35 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
DanD wrote:I caught it at Heaviside Layer, because I actually recognized that one as terrestrial, not systemic.

Oliver Heaviside seems to have been quite a guy.
I always thought that Heaviside Step Function H(x) should have a counterpart L(x)=H(-x) which should be known as the Lightside step function.

My favorite Heaviside quote. "Some think electricity is energy. Others think electricity is power. Some manage to think both these things at the same time."

Manabu

Postby Manabu » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:21 pm UTC

dexeron wrote:I still get excited about these Voyager announcements. I understand why they're silly, but I still am kind of awe-struck that this tiny thing we built is out there, farther than anything else we've ever managed to launch, and is still talking to us, teaching us new stuff. We did that.

They say that any interstellar travel that can't be made in less than 50 years shouldn't be made, because advances in technology and propulsion would make a craft that took off latter reach the destination earlier. Well, they underestimate the political and budget effects in real world... Voyager 1 is making 36 years, and we have nothing in the horizon that is poised to overtake it... same as the Apollo case...

Another Voyager like mission, but with modern cameras and instruments, and with many probes to drop off in other planets and moons, would be very cool... as well a mission to simply go as fast as possible into the interstellar space, and then to the intergalactic space... aren't there any observations that would be better made out of the heliosphere?

arthurd006_5

Postby arthurd006_5 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:53 am UTC

ijuin wrote:What I find amazing is that a machine built on a US Federal Government contract with 1970s technology is still functioning after forty-five years of 24/7/365 service with zero maintenance or refueling, and is expected to continue for up to a decade more.

It was built for the old NASA, whose starting position was "Nope; we ain't going. Contractor, prove to us that we're wrong."

Also, 1970s technology was a lot closer to inherently rad-hard.

Klear

Postby Klear » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:10 am UTC

Manabu wrote:They say that any interstellar travel that can't be made in less than 50 years shouldn't be made, because advances in technology and propulsion would make a craft that took off latter reach the destination earlier.

Hehe... I wrote a play about this - it follows a first manned mission to a planet outside of the solar system. The voyage is very long and boring, so the only thing that keeps them going is the historical importance. Then another rocket flies by... then more. In the end, by them time they reach the planet, mankind has developed some unspecified FTL travel method, had to abandon Earth due to some catastrophe, and they turn out to be the last people to arrive there, not the first.

jpvlsmv

Postby jpvlsmv » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:28 pm UTC

Oktalist wrote:Scientifically it should be 2 Gis (2 gibiseconds) but following the same format, maybe s2Gi?

Pronounced "Stooghee" or "Stoojee"? Let the flame war commence.

I usually call it Y232 (keeping the Y since all calendar-related computer problems have to begin with a Y, and dropping that pesky ^ that doesn't render properly in my non-unicode-aware font)
--Joe

Vroomfundel

Postby Vroomfundel » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:53 pm UTC

arthurd006_5 wrote:

It was built for the old NASA, whose starting position was "Nope; we ain't going. Contractor, prove to us that we're wrong."

Also, 1970s technology was a lot closer to inherently rad-hard.

Yep, indeed the more technology advances - the more fragile it gets, due to miniaturization and whatnot. Look at cars, for example - just 5 years ago I was driving a soviet 1974 VAZ-2101 that didn't show any signs of major breakdown. Try to match this with modern cars with the level of poor maintenance that these VAZ beasts underwent during the tough decades that the ex-communist block experienced in their lifetime. I'm not aware of all the technical details but I would guess that sacrifices need to be made in order to squeeze extra horsepower and mileage, even with the improvements in material science.

Also, look at the Eifel Tower - it's probably going to stand there for quite some time due to the generous amount of steel they poured. Anecdotal accounts that I've overheard claim that nowadays they would have made it with half that amount, and still meeting all construction industry requirements.

So yeah, don't mess with 70s technology (yes, I know the Eifel tower is older than that - I'm referring to Voyager 1 and VAZ-2101)
lexicum.net - my vocabulary learning platform

FourTael

Postby FourTael » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:54 am UTC

rainspeaker wrote:
FourTael wrote:Was that a reference to Cats in the alt-text?

Quite the reverse: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennelly%E ... side_layer

Oh. Well. I'm not all that interested in astronomy.

Well, sort of, but I've had trouble getting into studying it.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:07 am UTC

Vroomfundel wrote:Yep, indeed the more technology advances - the more fragile it gets, due to miniaturization and whatnot. Look at cars, for example - just 5 years ago I was driving a soviet 1974 VAZ-2101 that didn't show any signs of major breakdown. Try to match this with modern cars with the level of poor maintenance that these VAZ beasts underwent during the tough decades that the ex-communist block experienced in their lifetime. I'm not aware of all the technical details but I would guess that sacrifices need to be made in order to squeeze extra horsepower and mileage, even with the improvements in material science.

One good thing to be said about Soviet Russian technology is that once they had worked the bugs out of a design, it was reliable as all hell. It has to be to last through the winters they get up there. If you want bleeding-edge performance, buy American, but if you want something that will keep on going after everybody else's designs have failed, buy Russian. Note who is still using a derivative of a 45-year-old spacecraft design that works quite well thank you, and who recently scrapped their fifteen-years-younger fancy giant spaceplane and won't have ANY usable manned orbital craft for a couple years more.

Vroomfundel

Postby Vroomfundel » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:44 pm UTC

lexicum.net - my vocabulary learning platform

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:08 pm UTC

ijuin wrote:
Vroomfundel wrote:Yep, indeed the more technology advances - the more fragile it gets, due to miniaturization and whatnot. Look at cars, for example - just 5 years ago I was driving a soviet 1974 VAZ-2101 that didn't show any signs of major breakdown. Try to match this with modern cars with the level of poor maintenance that these VAZ beasts underwent during the tough decades that the ex-communist block experienced in their lifetime. I'm not aware of all the technical details but I would guess that sacrifices need to be made in order to squeeze extra horsepower and mileage, even with the improvements in material science.

One good thing to be said about Soviet Russian technology is that once they had worked the bugs out of a design, it was reliable as all hell. It has to be to last through the winters they get up there. If you want bleeding-edge performance, buy American, but if you want something that will keep on going after everybody else's designs have failed, buy Russian. Note who is still using a derivative of a 45-year-old spacecraft design that works quite well thank you, and who recently scrapped their fifteen-years-younger fancy giant spaceplane and won't have ANY usable manned orbital craft for a couple years more.

Or, according to the old urban legend:
The Americans (NASA) wanted to use a pen in space, but ball-point pens don't work without gravity, so they spent a million dollars (give or take) to develop a suitable pen. The Russians used a pencil. (WIkipedia has a different story. . . .)
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:04 am UTC

Well, NASA never actually paid the Fischer pen company to develop the pen, but they agreed to buy the pens when Fischer showed the pens to them.

As far as using a pencil goes, a grease pencil works out better than a graphite pencil, since graphite dust in the air is a hazard (both for inhalation and for clogging and short-circuiting the electronics).

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:21 pm UTC

My friend runs an astronomy blog, and I decided to ask him about this. He wrote a really nice post at Blogstronomy explaining the different edges of the solar system. Might be worth a look if you're interested.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”