1189: "Voyager 1"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5551
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Re: 1189: "Voyager 1"

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:35 am UTC

orthogon wrote:
DanD wrote:I caught it at Heaviside Layer, because I actually recognized that one as terrestrial, not systemic.

And part of the reason Voyager keeps leaving the solar system is that it keeps finding things further out that can be defined as the edge.

Oliver Heaviside seems to have been quite a guy.
I always thought that Heaviside Step Function H(x) should have a counterpart L(x)=H(-x) which should be known as the Lightside step function.
Then what's the Darkside Step Function?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 2988
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 1189: "Voyager 1"

Postby orthogon » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:41 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
orthogon wrote:
DanD wrote:I caught it at Heaviside Layer, because I actually recognized that one as terrestrial, not systemic.

And part of the reason Voyager keeps leaving the solar system is that it keeps finding things further out that can be defined as the edge.

Oliver Heaviside seems to have been quite a guy.
I always thought that Heaviside Step Function H(x) should have a counterpart L(x)=H(-x) which should be known as the Lightside step function.
Then what's the Darkside Step Function?

Excellent question. I guess D(x)=-L(x)=-H(-x).

That leaves one more function, -H(x), to complete the set. I will award an internet to the best name for this function.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

User avatar
ucim
Posts: 6555
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:23 pm UTC
Location: The One True Thread

Re: 1189: "Voyager 1"

Postby ucim » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:42 am UTC

It's actually a family of functions. But they are all offside.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

User avatar
addams
Posts: 9996
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: 1189: "Voyager 1"

Postby addams » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:42 pm UTC

I'm sorry for bringing it up, again.
But; This is so funny.

http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov

The heliopause is the Condom.
Voyager is In the Condom.

The drawing of the Heliosphere coupled with some of the clips is funny.
Very Funny. Most of what is inside the Heliosphere stays inside the Heliosphere.

One of The Boys is going to get through?!

How will we Ever know?
We won't.

We can dream. It is a big Universe, Out There.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Atticus78
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:29 am UTC

Re: 1189: "Voyager 1"

Postby Atticus78 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:40 am UTC

This comic is unfair. No one knows where the true edge of the solar system is so every boundary is significant and exciting. If anyone is interested Radiolab produced a great podcast that included this theme. I can't post the link here because the site thinks it's spam so instead search radiolab space.

User avatar
addams
Posts: 9996
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: 1189: "Voyager 1"

Postby addams » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:25 am UTC

Atticus78 wrote:This comic is unfair. No one knows where the true edge of the solar system is so every boundary is significant and exciting. If anyone is interested Radiolab produced a great podcast that included this theme. I can't post the link here because the site thinks it's spam so instead search radiolab space.


Is this the link you want?
http://www.radiolab.org/2013/mar/26/
What episode is related?

EDIT: HEY! What is that?
Is this Science supporting Religion?
Is this Religion explain Science?

(shrug.)

What?! The Comic is unfair? How?
The comic is funny.

Unfair? To who or what?
Heliopause is the Galaxies effort at keeping us in.
The Heliopause Condom is being breached.

I don't know who to root for.
Go! Go little guy!
or
Damn. The Heliopause may stop it, yet.
Tighten up that plasma! One is getting through!
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Atticus78
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:29 am UTC

Re: 1189: "Voyager 1"

Postby Atticus78 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:27 am UTC

addams wrote:
Atticus78 wrote:This comic is unfair. No one knows where the true edge of the solar system is so every boundary is significant and exciting. If anyone is interested Radiolab produced a great podcast that included this theme. I can't post the link here because the site thinks it's spam so instead search radiolab space.


Is this the link you want?
...
What episode is related?

EDIT: HEY! What is that?
Is this Science supporting Religion?
Is this Religion explain Science?

(shrug.)

What?! The Comic is unfair? How?
The comic is funny.

Unfair? To who or what?
Heliopause is the Galaxies effort at keeping us in.
The Heliopause Condom is being breached.

I don't know who to root for.
Go! Go little guy!
or
Damn. The Heliopause may stop it, yet.
Tighten up that plasma! One is getting through!


No that's not the link I want. Obviously that has nothing to do with the topic. There are actually two Radiolab podcasts that are relevant. I still can't post even a partial link, but the title of the first is Space and talks about the golden record they put on Voyager 1. The other is entitled Escape! This was the one I was thinking of when I originally posted. It discusses Voyager 1 leaving the solar system.

I understand that it's supposed to be in jest, but the comic feels mean spirited to me. It appears to be making fun of the folks actually studying this and trying to determine where the edge is. I guess I interpreted it differently.

User avatar
addams
Posts: 9996
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: 1189: "Voyager 1"

Postby addams » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:24 am UTC

Atticus78 wrote:
addams wrote:
Atticus78 wrote:This comic is unfair. No one knows where the true edge of the solar system is so every boundary is significant and exciting. If anyone is interested Radiolab produced a great podcast that included this theme. I can't post the link here because the site thinks it's spam so instead search radiolab space.


Is this the link you want?
...
What episode is related?

EDIT: HEY! What is that?
Is this Science supporting Religion?
Is this Religion explain Science?

(shrug.)

What?! The Comic is unfair? How?
The comic is funny.

Unfair? To who or what?
Heliopause is the Galaxies effort at keeping us in.
The Heliopause Condom is being breached.

I don't know who to root for.
Go! Go little guy!
or
Damn. The Heliopause may stop it, yet.
Tighten up that plasma! One is getting through!


No that's not the link I want. Obviously that has nothing to do with the topic. There are actually two Radiolab podcasts that are relevant. I still can't post even a partial link, but the title of the first is Space and talks about the golden record they put on Voyager 1. The other is entitled Escape! This was the one I was thinking of when I originally posted. It discusses Voyager 1 leaving the solar system.

I understand that it's supposed to be in jest, but the comic feels mean spirited to me. It appears to be making fun of the folks actually studying this and trying to determine where the edge is. I guess I interpreted it differently.


http://www.radiolab.org/2012/feb/20/

Here is another try.
The first part is a Heartbreaking Human Story.
The next part is about The Heavens.
Good Old Physics. At 37 min Voyager and the Pale Blue Dot are talked about.

Is this what you wanted? It is something.

The Infinite Monkey Cage is Good, too.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00snr0w

Spoiler:
The Monkey Cage is funny. Really funny.
One of those guys said, "I am not going to defend my position.
I am, just, going to stick to it."
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

hujackus
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:30 am UTC

Re: 1189: "Voyager 1"

Postby hujackus » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:00 pm UTC


hujackus
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:30 am UTC

Re: 1189: "Voyager 1"

Postby hujackus » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

In his article, Jeffrey Kluger mentions many of the zones in the alt text. To me it's a little comical.

The boundary of the solar system is by no means defined by the orbit of the last planet or even the more remote Kuiper Belt and Oort Cloud, the vast swarm of icy bodies that lie at an even further remove. Rather, it’s defined by the heliosphere, the vast windstorm of charged particles that stream outward from the sun. The end of the helioshere is known as the heliosheath—where the outward-streaming charged particles bump up against the inward streaming particles of deep space and come to a stop, and where the lines of solar magnetism change their orientation to match those of interstellar space.

User avatar
rwald
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:14 am UTC
Contact:

Re: 1189: "Voyager 1"

Postby rwald » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:21 pm UTC

Looks like another tick mark needs to be added: Voyager 1 really has left the Solar System…probably

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: 1189: "Voyager 1"

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:07 pm UTC

No no, they really mean it this time.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
PolakoVoador
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:11 pm UTC
Location: Brazil

Re: 1189: "Voyager 1"

Postby PolakoVoador » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:24 pm UTC

In one of the main Brazilian news sites, the article has the following subtitle: "It's the very first time this happens in history"

stickler
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:40 pm UTC

Re: 1189: "Voyager 1"

Postby stickler » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:34 pm UTC

The BBC have caught the story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24026153

I was going to see if anyone had sent a tweet to the chap who wrote it when I found that his penultimate post linked to an article on capitalisation, perhaps that's why he didn't mention XKCD [sic].

pyronius
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:44 am UTC

Re: 1189: "Voyager 1"

Postby pyronius » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:54 pm UTC

yep...

Viltris
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:58 pm UTC

Re: 1189: "Voyager 1"

Postby Viltris » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:36 am UTC

My friend, in complete seriousness, linked me the story as reported by NY Times http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/13/scien ... wanted=all

So I linked her the XKCD comic.

User avatar
Wnderer
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:10 pm UTC

Re: 1189: "Voyager 1"

Postby Wnderer » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:46 pm UTC

Voyager is cool. Whether you want to describe it as 'leaving the solar system', 'reaching interstellar space' or 'passing through the heliopause', it is a great achievement.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/ ... ar-system/

Pyrite
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:44 am UTC

Re: 1189: "Voyager 1"

Postby Pyrite » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:08 pm UTC

My question is whether there's another significant barrier after this one, short of the distant day when voyager is closer to another star than it is to ours.

speising
Posts: 2281
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:54 pm UTC
Location: wien

Re: 1189: "Voyager 1"

Postby speising » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:30 pm UTC

oort cloud, perhaps, if you want to call this a barrier. and if it exists.

User avatar
Carlington
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:46 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: 1189: "Voyager 1"

Postby Carlington » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
orthogon wrote:
DanD wrote:I caught it at Heaviside Layer, because I actually recognized that one as terrestrial, not systemic.

And part of the reason Voyager keeps leaving the solar system is that it keeps finding things further out that can be defined as the edge.

Oliver Heaviside seems to have been quite a guy.
I always thought that Heaviside Step Function H(x) should have a counterpart L(x)=H(-x) which should be known as the Lightside step function.
Then what's the Darkside Step Function?

Excellent question. I guess D(x)=-L(x)=-H(-x).

That leaves one more function, -H(x), to complete the set. I will award an internet to the best name for this function.

The Flipside Step Function.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

User avatar
WibblyWobbly
Can't Get No
Posts: 506
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

Re: 1189: "Voyager 1"

Postby WibblyWobbly » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:15 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
orthogon wrote:
DanD wrote:I caught it at Heaviside Layer, because I actually recognized that one as terrestrial, not systemic.

And part of the reason Voyager keeps leaving the solar system is that it keeps finding things further out that can be defined as the edge.

Oliver Heaviside seems to have been quite a guy.
I always thought that Heaviside Step Function H(x) should have a counterpart L(x)=H(-x) which should be known as the Lightside step function.
Then what's the Darkside Step Function?

Excellent question. I guess D(x)=-L(x)=-H(-x).

That leaves one more function, -H(x), to complete the set. I will award an internet to the best name for this function.

The Pharcyde Step Function?

Murgatroyd
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:56 pm UTC

Re: 1189: "Voyager 1"

Postby Murgatroyd » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:39 am UTC

Serious question: How many tally marks should there be? How many different instances of Voyager 1 "leaving the solar system" have actually been reported?

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 2988
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 1189: "Voyager 1"

Postby orthogon » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:20 pm UTC

WibblyWobbly wrote:
orthogon wrote:That leaves one more function, -H(x), to complete the set. I will award an internet to the best name for this function.

The Pharcyde Step Function?

Carlington wrote:The Flipside Step Function.

You wait five months for an answer, then two come along at once. (I enjoyed jose/ucim's contribution, but didn't consider it because it didn't address the question directly).

They are both excellent suggestions: the "Pharcyde Step Function" gains credit for cultural reference and transgressive orthography, whilst "The Flipside Step Function" has an elegant and timeless simplicity to it.

I can't choose between them, so the winner of the internet will be decided by one round of "rock, paper, scissors". Please PM me your choice of weapon by Tuesday, 2013-09-17@2359UTC.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 2988
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 1189: "Voyager 1"

Postby orthogon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:31 pm UTC

[I'm going to doublepost this after all otherwise it will languish at the bottom of the forum - it's been four days, after all...]

Well, the results are in, and it's been an exciting and eventful contest....

Carlington chose thusly:
Spoiler:
Carlington wrote:Scissore.
(I think it's Italian.)

WibblyWobbly went with:
Spoiler:
WibblyWobbly wrote:

That's right folks, I'm afraid the deadline passed without an entry from WibblyWobbly.


However, there was an unexpected twist:

Spoiler:
addams wrote:Paper.

Yes: I failed to state explicitly that the contest would be between Carlington and WibblyWobbly. Fortunately, Carlington's scissore beat addams's paper so the point was moot.

I therefore award the internet to Carlington, and hereby name the function -H(x) the Flipside Step Function. May the FSM bless her and all that respond to her.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

User avatar
Klear
Posts: 1965
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:43 am UTC
Location: Prague

Re: 1189: "Voyager 1"

Postby Klear » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:35 pm UTC

Cool. =)

User avatar
Carlington
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:46 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: 1189: "Voyager 1"

Postby Carlington » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:55 pm UTC

Woo, an Internet. Just, when you say her, are you meaning me, or...?
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

User avatar
addams
Posts: 9996
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: 1189: "Voyager 1"

Postby addams » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:41 am UTC

Carlington wrote:Woo, an Internet. Just, when you say her, are you meaning me, or...?

You won.
Scissors cuts paper.

What will it be?
FarSideStep Function
Or; The other one?

FarSideStep. A romanic name.
https://www.google.com/search?q=far+sid ... B278%3B375

Names. Such a wonderful idea.
Some people lived a great deal of their lives naming stuff.

Remember that guy? The genius, species, phylum guy? Remember him?
FarSide is more fun. That guy did not have the internet. He was breathing manually.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 2988
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 1189: "Voyager 1"

Postby orthogon » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:05 am UTC

Carlington wrote:Woo, an Internet. Just, when you say her, are you meaning me, or...?

Ah, no, sorry, I meant the function herself. I think this is a case of doing too many steps without showing my working, possibly combined with a Britishism. Since I was officially naming a function, I naturally thought of the words used when naming a ship in the UK: "May God bless her and all who sail in her". Substituting "The FSM" for "God" seemed an obvious next step; but I needed to replace "sail in" with verb that could apply to a function. Since step functions are most commonly used in characterising the response of linear systems, I went with "respond to". Finally I considered whether "her" could really apply to a function; to be honest, it doesn't really fit the pattern for English, but on the other hand words cognate with function are feminine in all the European languages I know anything about, so this seemed a good enough excuse to go with it.

I also had ships on my mind on account of this discussion I was having about the parbuckling of the Costa Concordia over on the News & Articles forum. Any ideas from the mass of knowledge and brainpower on this forum would be much appreciated!
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

gladiolas
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:41 am UTC

Re: 1189: "Voyager 1"

Postby gladiolas » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:31 am UTC

What happened to Voyager 1. (At least, in one timeline.)

http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/49f9b4b02ce26

User avatar
PolakoVoador
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:11 pm UTC
Location: Brazil

Re: 1189: "Voyager 1"

Postby PolakoVoador » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:42 am UTC

gladiolas wrote:What happened to Voyager 1. (At least, in one timeline.)

http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/49f9b4b02ce26


While the Encyclopedia Galactica is a respectable book, I will stick with The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, for two important reasons. First, it's slightly cheaper; and secondly it has the words DON'T PANIC printed in large friendly letters on its cover

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 2988
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 1189: "Voyager 1"

Postby orthogon » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:56 pm UTC

Lest it be said that they don't have their finger on the pulse, the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) have picked up on the story only three months after it happened!

For further amusement value, the front cover, which is intended to illustrate the "Internet of Everything", shows people, objects and animals labelled with IP addresses. IP4-like addresses, that is. I say IP4-like because one example is "09.782.649.104". The level of technical insight makes my three-figure membership fee seem well worthwhile.

Image
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

cryptoengineer
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:58 am UTC

Re: 1189: "Voyager 1"

Postby cryptoengineer » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:55 pm UTC

Voyager 2 can add another checkmark...

https://www.sciencealert.com/voyager-2- ... osmic-rays

Don't bother me with another "Voyager (1 or 2) is leaving the Solar System" story until one exits the Oort Cloud.

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 2988
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 1189: "Voyager 1"

Postby orthogon » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:12 pm UTC

Spoilered for introspective meta-ness:
Spoiler:
Looking back at this page of this thread, it seems my posts were a lot more lighthearted five years ago. Is it just me who's becoming a miserable old git, or was the forum more fun in those days? Or is it just a sampling issue? I worry that the post-2016 world has put me, and possibly others, on a confrontational footing, defaulting to having an argument rather than a laugh. Maybe this -- the resurrection of one's former self -- is the real reason why necroposting is sometimes frowned upon...
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

User avatar
Flumble
Yes Man
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:35 pm UTC

Re: 1189: "Voyager 1"

Postby Flumble » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:57 pm UTC

Not spoilered because this forum is as dead as a 150-year old tortoise* and going off-topic shifting topics in the comic threads is familiar territory:

Glancing back it seems I was more prone to arguing before. And I was significantly less informed and subtle, so when I look back I see some smug smart-ass, not a more lighthearted poster. Then again, I was barely an adolescent 5 years ago, whereas you have been old all this time, orthogon. :P
Regarding your sampling bias: I (biasfully) randomly sampled 1168 and 2039 for you. Neither seems more lighthearted or confrontational or argumentative or laughable or old. Wait, neither message seems older? Curious.

And I'm quite sure the forum was more fun back when the comic was still fresh to both Randall and us readers (definitely me because I only jumped in and when it was still buzzing with activity. Now the forum is so empty the mods don't even feel like celebrating Madness.

By the way, would you pronounce "old git" with a gooney or a genie G?


*that is to say: it's alive and probably will be for another 50 years, but it's really slow and basically a museum exhibit

rmsgrey
Posts: 3455
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: 1189: "Voyager 1"

Postby rmsgrey » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:29 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:By the way, would you pronounce "old git" with a gooney or a genie G?


Definitely a hard 'g' as in 'gilt' rather than a soft 'g' as in 'gin'.

User avatar
Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.
Posts: 3655
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:00 pm UTC
Location: 53-1

Re: 1189: "Voyager 1"

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:39 pm UTC

"Git" as in "GIF", obviously!</canofworms>

(Seriously, "Old git"s tend to say "Git off my lawn, you kids!" And, actually, not that far from "get", semantically or by pronunciation, when you drill down into it. ;))

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 2988
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 1189: "Voyager 1"

Postby orthogon » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:15 am UTC

Indeed: it's pronounced the same as the version control system. (Originally I assumed that was an unfortunate choice of name, but it turns out that Linus T knew exactly what it meant).
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

User avatar
Archgeek
Posts: 200
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 6:00 am UTC
Location: Central US
Contact:

Re: 1189: "Voyager 1"

Postby Archgeek » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:41 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:And I'm quite sure the forum was more fun back when the comic was still fresh to both Randall and us readers (definitely me because I only jumped in and when it was still buzzing with activity. Now the forum is so empty the mods don't even feel like celebrating Madness.

Alas, poor Madness. I think it sadly fell to a vocal minority of mud-borne sticks a couple years back, who admonished the mods for being jerk-faces for locking the Time thread (strange ritual surrounds that place, which the lock prevented the observance of) and because a word-filter caused some unfortunate shenanigans on the Serious Business sub-forum, where people were discussing topics arguably too sensitive to be discussing in a place where the bricks of communication are seriously warped for a time each year.
"That big tube down the side was officially called a "systems tunnel", which is aerospace contractor speak for "big tube down the side."

User avatar
Flumble
Yes Man
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:35 pm UTC

Re: 1189: "Voyager 1"

Postby Flumble » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:45 pm UTC

Archgeek wrote:Alas, poor Madness. I think it sadly fell to a vocal minority of mud-borne sticks a couple years back, who admonished the mods for being jerk-faces for locking the Time thread (strange ritual surrounds that place, which the lock prevented the observance of) and because a word-filter caused some unfortunate shenanigans on the Serious Business sub-forum, where people were discussing topics arguably too sensitive to be discussing in a place where the bricks of communication are seriously warped for a time each year.

Oh, yes, how could I forget about locking Time? That was a point where a lot of people agreed Madness overstepped its bounds. But I see that was the 2014 edition. We've had 2 madnesses since, so I don't think that's been a significant reason. (BTW, the lock persisted for 4 hours, so from the amount of outrage you can tell the forum was quite a bit more active back then.)
As for messing up SB: people who want to seriously discuss serious stuff ought to accept that they have to put their discourse on halt for a week. Unfortunately, it also includes the safe spaces in various boards, and I have no idea how urgent using them can be. If only davean could find a way to exclude certain topics/boards from madness ...and add the bloody forum link to the bloody comic page so we get some bloody fresh meat here.

User avatar
Old Bruce
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:27 pm UTC

Re: 1189: "Voyager 1"

Postby Old Bruce » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:33 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:...get some bloody fresh meat here.

I would say this is madness itself.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests