1169: "Expedition"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Scott Auld

Re: 1169: "Expedition"

Postby Scott Auld » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:25 pm UTC

Rotherian wrote:Do you have a link to that photo (with the child and vulture)? Because I've never heard of it (which, admittedly, means nothing in and of itself except that a sample size of at least one has never heard of the photo).

It's quite famous.

Go to google and start typing "child vul..." and it will autocomplete "child vulture photo"

addams

Postby addams » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:45 pm UTC

Kit. wrote:
Rotherian wrote:
Klear wrote:child and a vulture.

Do you have a link to that photo (with the child and vulture)?

Google has.

Still, I think, Alberto Korda's photo of Che is much more famous.

Maybe. How is Fame defined?
The image of Jesus may, still, be the world's most recognized image.

What does that have to do with being lost in Google Earth?

Oh. The advanced image manipulation technology.
Photo shop is almost like being there. Right?

The first photo shopped images I saw were the legs of female models elongated.
It's not so weird. We have been seeing artists images of females all distorted, forever.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

ctdonath

Postby ctdonath » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:48 pm UTC

TimXCampbell wrote:Okay, I've hidden a sign...Ready to go find it? Good, good. 1 ... 2 ... 3 ... G O !!!

There's a giant KFC logo in the southwest USA somewhere. Pretty impressive.
Other "go find it" visible-only-from-high-altitude signs exist.

I've thought it'd be neat/profitable to hook a GPS to a paint sprayer for what would amount to a giant inkjet printer: feed it a picture, set a starting point, wander around, it sprays the appropriate colors for where you are. Paint logos on top of buildings, mark fields, etc. without having to measure anything out; just a brownian-motion human-powered inkjet print mechanism.

ctdonath

Postby ctdonath » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:52 pm UTC

Another variant to "expedition" I like is looking for very large unusually circular geology. Take the time to look for a few, and you realize this planet has been hammered by meteorites as much as any other solar body.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:56 pm UTC

ctdonath wrote:Other "go find it" visible-only-from-high-altitude signs exist.

Pfft. The Nazca people were into that stuff before it was cool.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

tofofnts

Postby tofofnts » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:20 pm UTC

This reminds me of MapCrunch. It's a cool site that takes you to a random street view, I like turning on stealth mode (it blocks out the location) and trying to find where I am. I'd link to it but the spam filter is being annoying

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:21 pm UTC

addams wrote:The image of Jesus may, still, be the world's most recognized image.

What does that have to do with being lost in Google Earth?

Oh. The advanced image manipulation technology.

Not sure I'm getting it. Is there any cultural reference I'm missing?

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:59 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
ctdonath wrote:Other "go find it" visible-only-from-high-altitude signs exist.

Pfft. The Nazca people were into that stuff before it was cool.
And the Martians were way ahead of them:

shieldforyoureyes

Postby shieldforyoureyes » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:07 pm UTC

ctdonath wrote:Another variant to "expedition" I like is looking for very large unusually circular geology. Take the time to look for a few, and you realize this planet has been hammered by meteorites as much as any other solar body.

Althought sometimes they aren't craters...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richat_Structure

mschmidt62

Postby mschmidt62 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:59 am UTC

If you click on "Photos" in Google maps, and then click on a photo by Geohoochie and then click on his name, you will see all the photos by Geohoochie that are linked to google maps. Photos of the Lena river have on the order of 30,000 views, while his other photos have maybe 1000 or so--probably a measure of how much Randall has increased the popularity of the Lena river. If the fraction of people who have viewed photos is, say, 0.25 of the people who went to look at the Lena river because of today's comic, then some 116,000 people have taken a look at the Lena River because of Randall. I suspect that the 0.25 fraction is too large, and the actual number of people looking at the Lena in the last twenty four hours is greater.

Max™

Postby Max™ » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:06 am UTC

four12 wrote:I've always been fascinated with the epic age of arctic and antarctic exploration. Some seriously brave/tough/stupid people.

In reference to the Lena River, the Jeannette Expedition of 1879 was of particular interest a while back.

I assume (hope) you've read At the Mountains of Madness then.

I want to see Del Toro make it finally, and I want a scene with an entirely black theater screen save the tiny bit of illumination from a flashlight moving across the bottom of the screen at some point, to illustrate how truly horrifying something can be purely based on scale and not knowing what may or may not be there or have been there at some point.

Like some of the panels in the Click and Drag comic, but in a movie.

As for the autocomplete, I had to type "child vulture ph" before it suggested "child vulture photograph" as the third choice... what the heck are you all googling? :P
mu

scottmsul

Postby scottmsul » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:42 am UTC

Is that some sort of fire?

Rotherian

Postby Rotherian » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:04 am UTC

Scott Auld wrote:
Rotherian wrote:Do you have a link to that photo (with the child and vulture)? Because I've never heard of it (which, admittedly, means nothing in and of itself except that a sample size of at least one has never heard of the photo).

It's quite famous.

Go to google and start typing "child vul..." and it will autocomplete "child vulture photo"

Ok. I've seen it now. Add me to today's group of people that learned something they didn't previously know. I think the reason I didn't see it is because I was stationed in Korea at the time and the news we received was heavily filtered (i.e. only certain types of news got through to soldiers, and most soldiers at the time didn't have access to cable broadcasts - at least not in the area in which I was stationed).
There are two general categories of opinion: regular opinions and informed opinions.
Please do not argue with me unless your opinion falls into the latter category.

zae

Postby zae » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:02 pm UTC

Patteroast wrote:Hah, I've done this quite a bit, and interestingly I also seem to have a fascination with the high arctic. Other than that though, I like to try to follow the borders or coasts of a country all the way around at a close zoom, and see where borders cuts across towns or isolates islands or other pieces of land, or especially when the border does some strange twists and turns of its own. A hunt for exclaves at times. I seem to remember the borders of Switzerland being especially interesting in that respect.

I recommend the Dutch-Belgian border and the Indian-Bangladeshi border.

langec

Postby langec » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:56 pm UTC

tofofnts wrote:This reminds me of MapCrunch. It's a cool site that takes you to a random street view, I like turning on stealth mode (it blocks out the location) and trying to find where I am. I'd link to it but the spam filter is being annoying

I used to play a similar game right with Google Maps: disabling the labels, scrolling to a random location (moving the focus with my eyes closed), zooming to the maximum level, and then zooming out step by step, trying to find out where I am.

kurkosdr

Postby kurkosdr » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:21 am UTC

I had the exact same problem (adventure?) with Test Drive Unlimited. The zoom-in/out-with-the-scroll-wheel feature doesn't work with laptop touchpads (even the ones that work fine with Firefox, Adobe Reader and any other app), so you are essentially stuck with the default zoom level, which is pretty close, so it's easy to get lost into some forest for a dozen of minutes or so, and generally finding stuff is not easy. I downloaded a map and fixed the issue.

periboob

Postby periboob » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:11 pm UTC

What a great topic. Some good links and placemarks, and super trivia about digital imaging!

I was seriously addicted to Google Earth since before they bought it from Keyhole. Was one factor in my decision to invest in Google :D . Their forum was for a while, a source of wonder about our planet. You could read about it, then fly there. But after Google made it free, after a while, the forum was flooded with lame posts like "I got me first kiss HEAR!".

I mostly see what I need on Google Maps now, but I discovered a great trip planning process that seems to require both Maps and Earth. Maps lets you choose alternative routes easily, just by dragging the blue line. Then if you save to personal maps you get a KML link that lets you use GE to fly down the road. Set the tour options at 300-500 meters altitude, set the speed to about 65mph, (so that the minutes counter gives you a fair estimate of the miles traveled) lean it back to about 45 degrees, and get a nice preview of what those little side-roads are like. (the pop-up tour control in the lower left lets you speed over the boring parts.) It is really nice to prepare you for one of those nasty mistakes in the Android Navigator route instructions.

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:51 am UTC

Reminiscent of comic 1110.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:18 am UTC

Funny, I thought 1110 was reminiscent of this.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”